Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

It was my pleasure!

The weather has been great, we have had mostly warm sunny days and the only rain we have had was in Ketchikan. People have been sitting enjoying the sun around the pool as well, and sleeping in the sun is not something I thought I would be doing in Alaska after a good lunch!!LOL! We had a bit of a heat wave in Seward when it reached high 70's, it was the topic of conversation amongst the locals!

It was cooler and very misty as we crossed the Gulf of Alaska, but that was Ok as we enjoyed the ship and relaxed on the sea days crossings.

I have worn my heavy fleece only once when we were cruising the Hubbard glacier, and I had my hat, gloves and warm trousers on too! the other times a light fleece with t shirt underneath and we always carried a roll-up raincoat in our small back pack. Out in deck can be very windy, but you know that and you just have to be prepared for everything really - I thought as we were going on a no formal dress ship, I would have less luggage, or at least the DH hoped I would!! but in reality I think I have more as those fleeces and warmer jackets and walking shoes take up a bit of room in the suitcases.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise DKD and look forward to hearing of your Alaskan adventures too! If there is anything else I can help you with, please do ask and I will be happy to help.

Cindy, I bet Wex will be relieved when he gets home tonight - there is only so much a boy dog should have to put up with, but I imagine how you are feeling - you just want to do your best for everyone and especially that cute little pup! Don't feel bad, sounds like he will be absolutely fine.

Signing off from our balcony on a beautiful sunny afternoon in Wrangell, just enjoying a nice cup of tea! LOL!

Have a great rest of your cruise!

Wow that is quite the list!!!! :eek:

Yup, she doesn't travel lightly! (What girl does?!) ;)

I use a packing list app on my phone, so most of this is from the dog's master packing list, then weeks to months before each trip I make a trip-specific list based on the master list so I can add or subtract things that are specific for that trip as well as enter the specific quantities of things like cans/scoops of food and poop bags. (I have a master list for myself, too, and do the same trip-specific list thing for myself. The app is called "Packing List Full" [paid version, but there is a free one without "Full" in the title] for Android, if anyone wants to know. They likely have it for iPhones, too.)

Hi Quam, Horton's thyroid has been checked along with blood work and urine for diabetes. All med. reports were within normal range, he just laps water down like the big boy that he is!!!! The noise he makes is more than the amount that he takes in!!!! :rolleyes:

With your packing list for your dog, is there any room left for you?

Glad he's been checked! I can imagine he probably gets some of that water on your floor, too, unless you have doggy placemats under the bowls. I have an absorbant kind (it was a gift, so I don't know where it came from) that is nice - my dog doesn't make a mess, but sometimes I spill the water when putting it down! :p

LOL, yes, she doesn't take up any room of my suitcase; she has her own bag. I wish they still made it (I could use a new one!), but it is the old large-sized rolling Outward Hound Wide-Mouth Duffel bag. It has all sorts of pockets lining the long sides and I use every one of them! I've yet to see another bag with such pockets, so I keep using this one even though the pull handle broke off long ago.

On cruises, the potty area goes in two extra bags (small suitcase for all the faux grass and small duffel for all the potty pads and poop bags). Ppl probably wonder why I have so much luggage, especially since I definitely don't resemble any diva or wannabe! :)

How much extra food? I packed two days extra. I am already taking three suitcases plus my carry on! One suitcase is just for my dog!!,

I normally only take a day's worth in my plane carry-on on outbound flights (in case of delayed checked luggage) and for measuring out the dry food into the feed bag, I just make it so each measuring cup I put in is actually a bit more than usual. What that turns out to be depends on the length of the trip. For a three-week trip, when I get home, I am still using the food from the feed bag for many days.

With the recent craziness of fires and such on ships, I would be sure to bring a good amount of extra, just in case. You almost assuredly won't need it, but on the tiniest chance you do, you'll be glad you have it! I'd say do several days worth at least, more if your dog has allergies or a sensitive stomach so wouldn't be able to eat anything else in case of emergency.

My dog has her own bag on every trip. It is medical equipment (as long as the bag contains ONLY medical/service dog items - none of your personal items), so don't let the airlines charge you for it!

We just got a new "Tux" for Orson for formal night on the cruise. It was given to us by one of our puppy raiser friends who makes them. (Cindy knows who I mean). She was telling me she tried to find black, dog bone shaped buttons for it instead of round ones. I found them on-line and bought 20 of them for her to use. They are being shipped from Hong Kong so I don't know if they will get here in time but we can hope. Cindy, I think she is going to ask you if you would prefer to wait for the bone buttons or not.

We just got a new "Tux" for Orson for formal night on the cruise. It was given to us by one of our puppy raiser friends who makes them. (Cindy knows who I mean). She was telling me she tried to find black, dog bone shaped buttons for it instead of round ones. I found them on-line and bought 20 of them for her to use. They are being shipped from Hong Kong so I don't know if they will get here in time but we can hope. Cindy, I think she is going to ask you if you would prefer to wait for the bone buttons or not.

That sounds so cute. There were some Puppyraisers who were looking to buy one of these for her dog. Is your friend selling them? If so, you should share her email address so we can share it with folks who would like to purchase one. I love Horton's! Thank you very much Miss. Cindy!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I just got an email from her and I am going to wait for the new buttons. We aren't cruising til Feb so we are in no hurry.

That sounds so cute. There were some Puppyraisers who were looking to buy one of these for her dog. Is your friend selling them? If so, you should share her email address so we can share it with folks who would like to purchase one. I love Horton's! Thank you very much Miss. Cindy!

She is talking about making them to sell. I think its a great idea. I think they will only be available to CCI people. I will let you know what she decides.

She is talking about making them to sell. I think its a great idea. I think they will only be available to CCI people. I will let you know what she decides.

Thanks, Cindy.

Well, we had our first "Father's Day" without Morey. It was not easy. Our grown children were very upset and at the end of the day we found ourselves crying through the entire day. What a mess!!!!!

I know that every "first" holiday and his birthday [sept. 7th] are going to be so difficult but the grown kids are the worst......they want their Dad just like the little kids do. Morey had an amazingly close relationship with all the kids and their love for him was a beautiful thing to see. The memories that we shared with him are inside me forever!!!

I hope you all had a good day and for those of you whose Dad's aren't with us anymore, I hope the memories you shared sustained you through the day, as well.

Thanks, Cindy.

Well, we had our first "Father's Day" without Morey. It was not easy. Our grown children were very upset and at the end of the day we found ourselves crying through the entire day. What a mess!!!!!

I know that every "first" holiday and his birthday [sept. 7th] are going to be so difficult but the grown kids are the worst......they want their Dad just like the little kids do. Morey had an amazingly close relationship with all the kids and their love for him was a beautiful thing to see. The memories that we shared with him are inside me forever!!!

I hope you all had a good day and for those of you whose Dad's aren't with us anymore, I hope the memories you shared sustained you through the day, as well.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about my parents. And even though there were times when I couldn't believe what they were doing or making me do, I would give almost anything for one more day with them. :(

Thanks, Cindy.

My dad passed in 2002 and I still have a hard time on Fathers Day. His birthday was 2 days after mine so that time of year is hard too. We always had a cake with both our names on it. It does get easier but you never forget. Just deal with it any way you can. If it's crying all day, thats fine.

Tears! I thought about you Roz. I am sure it is not easy when you have to be the strong one. Sometimes, I want to be the big baby and cry and throw fits and yell and scream, but it is not acceptable for mom to act like an idiot! So I silently shed tears with you guys.

With that depressing little tidbit, I hope everyone has a wonderful day. :)

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about my parents. And even though there were times when I couldn't believe what they were doing or making me do, I would give almost anything for one more day with them. :(

I know exactly what you're saying. And, I so agree!

Tears! I thought about you Roz. I am sure it is not easy when you have to be the strong one. Sometimes, I want to be the big baby and cry and throw fits and yell and scream, but it is not acceptable for mom to act like an idiot! So I silently shed tears with you guys.

With that depressing little tidbit, I hope everyone has a wonderful day. :)

Oh! No! No depression. Think happy thoughts! :)

This morning Brenda would not let me leave the house without her. She went out the door before Horton and me and refused to go up on her couch. She wanted to go with us and was not going to stay home alone today! So, I put a bandana on her, put her collar and leash on and off we all went to the car and to work. She had such a huge smile on her face!!!! ;)

She's laying in Horton's crate and he's laying in his bed. My job is not going to allow this too often and they don't have to. Besides all my fellow workers who would love to bring their dogs to work-Brenda is no longer certified for public access.....I'm going to get arrested!!!! :eek:

The training that CCI gives their dogs is so ingrained in both Brenda and Horton that laying quietly or even remaining in a dog crate for long period means nothing to them.

I guess Brenny had enough of staying home alone and she told me so!!!!! :(

My dad passed in 2002 and I still have a hard time on Fathers Day. His birthday was 2 days after mine so that time of year is hard too. We always had a cake with both our names on it. It does get easier but you never forget. Just deal with it any way you can. If it's crying all day, thats fine.

Cindy, what a tough day Sunday was. I thought that the loss of my parents was overwhelmingly sad....but the loss of a mate is just too much!!!!!

You know how the National Geographic specials on TV always show the african plains and the lioness who's lost her mate, and wanders aimlessly through the wilderness without him, they're always so moving and sad......Well, I know exactly how she feels, now!!!!! :o

And, dealing with Brenda and her refusal to stay home alone is just a killer. I brought her with me but I won't be able to do this very often. I work in a very "public" business..people coming and going all the time. All I need is for someone to ask about her credentials and I'm putting my job at risk! She's so lost without Morey, as are the rest of us!!!!! :(

Good news! We got a packet of cruise documents today! The bad news? It was my brother-in-law's packet! I'm hoping our documents made it to their house. They are away so it will be another week before I know for sure. I've emailed the TA and hopefully this can get straightened out. I'm not even sure where these came from since they were from a third party that spelled the TA's name incorrectly.

My packing list has also gone into cyberspace. I had a comprehensive one that include a special cruise list and the one that is saved on the computer is a really old one.

Anyway, the pup gets groomed next week. I'm starting to write down specific clothes/outfits to pack. 2.5 more weeks!

Roz,

Is there a doggie day care in your area that Brenda could go to a couple of days a week? My sister sent her older dog to one for a while and the dog loved it, plus she (the dog) spent the next day sleeping to recover. It helped keep the older dog active.

Good news! We got a packet of cruise documents today! The bad news? It was my brother-in-law's packet! I'm hoping our documents made it to their house. They are away so it will be another week before I know for sure. I've emailed the TA and hopefully this can get straightened out. I'm not even sure where these came from since they were from a third party that spelled the TA's name incorrectly.

My packing list has also gone into cyberspace. I had a comprehensive one that include a special cruise list and the one that is saved on the computer is a really old one.

Anyway, the pup gets groomed next week. I'm starting to write down specific clothes/outfits to pack. 2.5 more weeks!

Wow! You really are close to your cruising day.

I didn't think anyone was sending "cruising doc's" anymore. I thought everything was sent via email. I used to love getting the doc's in the mail. Especially from HAL...their portfolio's were so lovely. You could actually use the doc holders as a purse [and, many women did!]

It would drive me nuts until my BIL came home to see if he's got my packet. You're so much more patient than me!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz,

Is there a doggie day care in your area that Brenda could go to a couple of days a week? My sister sent her older dog to one for a while and the dog loved it, plus she (the dog) spent the next day sleeping to recover. It helped keep the older dog active.

Barb, that's such a good idea. We do have one right near my work. I tried them and they were booked solid and one of the worker's didn't show-up and they were over-whelmed!

Also, Brenda was over-due for her rabies vaccine [i wasn't rushing because she's such a senior and she's never around other dogs, squirrels, bats, etc.] but, no one will allow her for day care or grooming without an up-to-date immunization record. So, off to the Vet's we went for her shot.

She had a pretty rough day yesterday. I'm sure she's thinking....."What the heck is the big deal about going with mom to work!" "I have to schlep into and out of that darn SUV, then I have to be gated into an office, then I have to go to the doctor and get a shot!" "I think I'll just stay home, where I can watch TV all day and rest on my comfy couch!"

This morning Brenda was not so anxious to run out the door with Horty and me. I don't blame her!!!! And, I'm so glad she just stayed up on her couch and watched us from there!

I told her I loved her so much and to have a relaxing day!!!! It's so hot here now and she gets to stay in a cool, air conditioned environment, while Bravo TV is playing her favorite shows!!!!!

Barb, that's such a good idea. We do have one right near my work. I tried them and they were booked solid and one of the worker's didn't show-up and they were over-whelmed!

Also, Brenda was over-due for her rabies vaccine [i wasn't rushing because she's such a senior and she's never around other dogs, squirrels, bats, etc.] but, no one will allow her for day care or grooming without an up-to-date immunization record. So, off to the Vet's we went for her shot.

She had a pretty rough day yesterday. I'm sure she's thinking....."What the heck is the big deal about going with mom to work!" "I have to schlep into and out of that darn SUV, then I have to be gated into an office, then I have to go to the doctor and get a shot!" "I think I'll just stay home, where I can watch TV all day and rest on my comfy couch!"

This morning Brenda was not so anxious to run out the door with Horty and me. I don't blame her!!!! And, I'm so glad she just stayed up on her couch and watched us from there!

I told her I loved her so much and to have a relaxing day!!!! It's so hot here now and she gets to stay in a cool, air conditioned environment, while Bravo TV is playing her favorite shows!!!!!

Maybe you hire a friend or neighbor to come over for a couple of hours in the afternoon to keep her company and break up her day? That is if there was someone you could trust enough. :mad:

Maybe you hire a friend or neighbor to come over for a couple of hours in the afternoon to keep her company and break up her day? That is if there was someone you could trust enough. :mad:

Actually, I have some wonderful neighbors and friends who would love to go in and play with Miss "B". Nice folks but I'm not so sure I want them to have such free access to my "stuff!"

She's the most "unplayful" [is that a word] dog I've ever met. She will NEVER roll over and let you pat her tummy [she only let PaPa give her massages, and that was while she layed down, [NEVER SHOWING HER TUMMY!] Or, he would rub her head.

She will let you pat her but when she's done she'll walk away and go lay down away from everyone. She likes to be in the "mix" but doesn't like to be overly-touched! She had the most amazing work ethic, as a Service Dog. She likes to observe what's going on, but has that "leave me alone" attitude. Does this make any sense?

She wants what she wants, when she wants it! She has little patience for "dog play!" When I've taken her to the dog park.....she avoids the dogs and doesn't like to interact with them at all. If they bother her with wanting to play she'll actually growl at them. She loves the people though. She'll chase a ball, fetch it and bring it back to me, only to repeat this 100 times more! She never tired of ball playing.

She loves to watch Horty do "stupid dog tricks" and act goofy. She'll try to play with him for maybe 10 seconds and then she steps back, perches herself up on her couch and watches him perform! I can see genuine love and care coming from her towards him.

She's unusually smart and sensitive, probably a great pack leader if she were in the wild.

When I take her to the groomers she'll lay with the other dogs in the doggy lounge but prefers to be in a crate. She likes to watch the action but doesn't like to be part of it so much.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Well our furry little house guest is coming back today. We are going to pick him up in a while. His owner will be back tomorrow so we will only have to deal with him one night. Poor Wexler :(

John is all done with school so I guess its the end of my vacation. :(

Well our furry little house guest is coming back today. We are going to pick him up in a while. His owner will be back tomorrow so we will only have to deal with him one night. Poor Wexler :(

John is all done with school so I guess its the end of my vacation. :(

Oh! No! Buckle-up Wexy, you're in for a bumpy ride.

Funny how John's vacation begins and yours ends! You're used to it by now......Maybe you need to "buckle-up" too!!!! :D ;) :p

We travel with a service dog..she is going to be on her 6th cruise in September and 7th in November.....We've learned a lot and have some suggestions for you....

• Don't be hesitant to do it.....it's wonderful! And truly has made our cruising so much more fun!!!!!! :p
  • We've cruised on Celebrity/NCL/Princess/Carnival and HAL.
  • The Best (most accomodating-all around) - HAL
  • The Best set-up (potty-box) - NCL/Princess
  • The Best crew for dog friendliness HAL/Princess
  • Passenger friendliness...every ship we've ever been on. We only 1 passenger in all of our cruises who absolutely refused to eat in the Buffet area, with a dog!

If you have any questions about the ship requirements/easy way to deal with "special needs" departments/cabins/dining area/potty box/food/exercise/hotel/excursions/airplanes, etc. Ask away......

I don't want to bore you with all the details...so, I'll let you lead the way! ;)

I'm on NCL in Dec. Unsure if I should like Chilli at home with a friend. In the Bahamas last year taxi's would not take us anywhere. Any experience on tours in St Maarten and St. Thomas? Thanks