Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi Rosie - Maddy is beautiful - what a lovely face! :). I'm like you I like to be well organised with stuff laid out in the spare bedroom, and have to get the DH's stuff (and him) organised too. Like most men, he just "turns up"! ;):)

Haha, I like that expression "Velcro dog" - I'm going to start using that, especially the boy dog so is exactly that! Can't even go to the bathroom without the tip tap behind me! :eek:

When Morey was Brenny's "go-to-person" and once Horton came along, Brenny rarely followed me anywhere. Now she lays right outside the bathroom door waiting for me and will lay on the bedroom floor, when I come home from work, to just be with me when I change clothes.

So sweet. And, I totally understand what she's doing. My heart goes out to her, she's missing her man!!!!!

As if I would dare suggest anyone :p - actually it wasn't really Cindy I was thinking of but some woman from some southern state on the west coast USA with BIG hair, oops .... OK I can take it, I can feel the cyber "slap" coming ..... LOL! LOL!

Hey, hey, hey!!!!! This growing-old thing is such a pain!

I refuse to change my routine of driving everyone around me as crazy as I can, for as long as I can! I do such a good job of it!!!

Our airport security routine is I go through first and don't set off the alarm, Ollie goes though and does because of the collar and harness and comes to me, then my husband goes through and does not. The dog gets a pat down. It is generally a smooth process but we tell tsa how we do it.

Even though the dog is my husband's he follows me around a lot when at home. My son calls him my shadow.

I'm busy packing. This is such a strange trip since we have 3 days at my in-laws before the cruise. I am having such a hard time figuring out how much to really pack. I keep telling myself it's OK to do laundry onboard if necessary.

Ollie gets his paperwork finished tomorrow morning and we leave tomorrow night. Cruise on Sunday! We are getting excited :D

Sounds like you're pretty much ready to go! Have a fabulously wonderful and relaxing trip and cruise!!!!!

Come back and tell us all about it and how Ollie did!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

So we were sitting in the Outlook Cafe aboard the Disney Wonder last night having a hot chocolate when a very nice man comes up to us and says this must be Orson. He had a Scottish accent!! We had a very nice conversation! Made for a very nice end to our first night.

How nice.....and, I love Scottish accents.

There's no being annonymous when you're walking through life with a gorgeous Service Dog!!!!

Todd will be on his 4th cruise this year. We have always traveled with Carnival but are thinking of trying Norwegian this time. We've had pretty good luck with Carnival except the one time when his litter box was out on a main deck. People walking by all the time and throwing cigarette butts in the box all day. We asked twice to have it moved but nothing every got done. :( We find that making sure we get a room with a balcony is really the best option for us.

What have folks liked about Norwegian? Any tips?

Oh, another question.

This last cruise we were meeting with officials in Mexico to get permission to leave the ship. There was a lady there with her "service dog" and I use the term lightly. The dog was a shi tzu type and could not be controlled. Tried to attack Todd, my dog, then tried REALLY hard to bite the poor woman who was supposed to check him out. I asked her where she had him 'certified' and she claimed he went through a program. NO WAY IN HE!! that dog went through any program! Later in the cruise a couple sat next to us on deck and the man looked over and said to Todd "Oh YOU must be the one who is peeing and pooing on the mini golf!" I said "What? Oh no! He uses his litter box and only his litter box." Later when is saw that lady I stopped and asked her about it. She said her dog didn't like the litter so she just let her use the grass on the mini golf! I about fell over! I said that was wrong and not fair to those who want to use the golf course not to mention NASTY and she said well, these ships have people to clean that up! I SO wished there was a place to turn her in for having a pretend service dog!

Once while on a boat, we couldn't get Todd back to the room fast enough and he started to poo in the hallway. I had a bag ready and was there catching poo as he went! I would have never, ever, ever, ever let that hit the floor if I had had to catch it with my hand!

It's gotten harder to get dogs on the boats over the years, I assume due to people like the lady above. Anyone have a similar experiences?

Todd will be on his 4th cruise this year. We have always traveled with Carnival but are thinking of trying Norwegian this time. We've had pretty good luck with Carnival except the one time when his litter box was out on a main deck. People walking by all the time and throwing cigarette butts in the box all day. We asked twice to have it moved but nothing every got done. :( We find that making sure we get a room with a balcony is really the best option for us.

What have folks liked about Norwegian? Any tips?

We had the exact experience onboard the Carnival Splendor and as I parked myself at the Purser's Desk insisting I have a meeting with the Hotel Manager' date=' I saw many a folk come and go but I wasn't going to leave until I met with him.[/b']

We got a free cruise from that horrid experience. As Brenda burnt her pad on her left/rear paw from some moron's cigarette.

You will love the dog accommodations onboard NCL, they were some of the best. They put the potty box in a crew closet, 3 doors down from our cabin and it was the best ever!!!! It was a 5x5 wooden box, lined in heavy plastic and filled with cypress mulch. Very clean and very easy to get to.

Although I didn't care for the ship much [NCL Star], they took excellent care of Brenda.

Oh' date=' another question.

This last cruise we were meeting with officials in Mexico to get permission to leave the ship. There was a lady there with her "service dog" and I use the term lightly. The dog was a shi tzu type and could not be controlled. Tried to attack Todd, my dog, then tried REALLY hard to bite the poor woman who was supposed to check him out. I asked her where she had him 'certified' and she claimed he went through a program. NO WAY IN HE!! that dog went through any program! Later in the cruise a couple sat next to us on deck and the man looked over and said to Todd "Oh YOU must be the one who is peeing and pooing on the mini golf!" I said "What? Oh no! He uses his litter box and only his litter box." Later when is saw that lady I stopped and asked her about it. She said her dog didn't like the litter so she just let her use the grass on the mini golf! I about fell over! I said that was wrong and not fair to those who want to use the golf course not to mention NASTY and she said well, these ships have people to clean that up! I SO wished there was a place to turn her in for having a pretend service dog!

Once while on a boat, we couldn't get Todd back to the room fast enough and he started to poo in the hallway. I had a bag ready and was there catching poo as he went! I would have never, ever, ever, ever let that hit the floor if I had had to catch it with my hand!

It's gotten harder to get dogs on the boats over the years, I assume due to people like the lady above. Anyone have a similar experiences?[/quote']

I would definitely go to the Hotel Manager and complain about the woman's dog and his behavior. The manager has the right to ask the woman to keep her dog in her cabin, with her. And, remind the woman that she will NEVER be allowed to have this dog accompany her onboard another vessel.

The ships do have recourse in what they can do if they suspect that someone is passing their "pet" off as a Service Dog. It's so obvious and I would be the first one to call her out!!!

Onboard the Sapphire, on my last cruise, there was a woman with a dog who said that the dog would alert her husband if his blood pressure would get too low. Meanwhile the woman was carrying the dog around and the husband was sleeping in the cabin. I called her out and told her that she was making it more difficult for folks like me with litigimate Service Dog.

To top it off, her dog tried to attack Horton in one of the lounges.......Pullleeeezzzz!!!! I immediately went to the Hotel Manager and complained......you know, I NEVER saw her out and about with the dog for the rest of the cruise!

Princess "Special Needs Department" called me when I got home and asked me about the dog and I told them the details and she said this woman will NEVER be allowed to bring this dog onboard any of their ships again and they are going to be more careful about future paperwork that is given to them.

I'm glad that Princess is going to be more strict and careful!

Wow that's awesome! I will definitely do that if it ever happens again. I was SO angry at that woman! I train service dogs for Train a Dog, Save a Warrior and if I EVER heard of one of their handlers allowing a dog to potty in an inappropriate place, I would be SO upset! It's good to know that the ships will do things to help stop it!

Todd hates the litter that Carnival uses. We usually bring a small bag of mulch for him and pour it on top of the litter. Only problem is sometimes they will come and dump his bin and then it's GONE! :eek:

We take a catheter with us just in case and have had to use it a time or two if we have too many days on ship. He has gotten to the point that if I just get it out, he will pee! LOL

Wow that's awesome! I will definitely do that if it ever happens again. I was SO angry at that woman! I train service dogs for Train a Dog' date=' Save a Warrior and if I EVER heard of one of their handlers allowing a dog to potty in an inappropriate place, I would be SO upset! It's good to know that the ships will do things to help stop it!

Todd hates the litter that Carnival uses. We usually bring a small bag of mulch for him and pour it on top of the litter. Only problem is sometimes they will come and dump his bin and then it's GONE! :eek:

We take a catheter with us just in case and have had to use it a time or two if we have too many days on ship. He has gotten to the point that if I just get it out, he will pee! LOL[/quote']

Again, go to the Hotel Manager and be very clear about NOT REMOVING the litter out of the box. Let them know that you will tell them when it's time to dump the litter. Be very clear and insistant.

You are kidding about the catheter aren't you? That is such an easy way to introduce an infection into your dog and should only be used under strict medical supervision [Quam, where are you??????] :(

So if I want to do another cruise and can only leave from ny or nj which is the best line?

Sorry about all your problems with the potty box. Sorry, I'm trying to catch up on what I missed here. Sounds like they had no clue what they were doing.

I can't help you on the NY,NJ cruise since we have never left from there. But I'm sure someone here has.

Cindy, how's John doing.

John is doing great! He says he hasn't felt this good in months, so I think this was a problem when he went to the ER in April. I guess they didn't CAT scan the right places back then, or it was just starting then.

Johns aunt always has a 4th picnic today, of course it always seems to be the hottest day of the year. It's 8:45 am and already 83 degrees out!! :eek: The dew point is 73, it can't be any more humid than that. YUCK!!!!!!!! Hate it!! The van has no air conditioning, (broke a few weeks ago) So we are dropping it off today. That means I have to get John in and out of my car in this heat. Just love it! :D

I'm sorry I missed DKD leaving for his cruise. I hope he's having a good time.

Todd's pet, This fake service dog thing is just happening too much. We would have reported it just like Roz said. This is ruining it for the rest of us who have to jump through hoops to prove our dogs are legit.

Wexler is the worst dog ever in the heat. Just taking him out to pee and he's huffing and puffing by the time we get back in. He really is what we call "a country clubber". He loves his air conditioning. We discussed last night how he rules the roost around here. Sometimes I feel like his servant. :eek:

Everyone have a great 4th and keep cool!:cool:

Just wanted to say hello to all of you. I love reading your posts each day as they pop up in my email! This keeps my hopes up that some day my daughter and her service dog Gibson will be up to trying a cruise. (She just got a Trilogy ventilator that makes her more portable instead of being stuck in her room attached to the Bi-Pap machine.)

Last Friday she was the guest speaker at Paws for Freedom's service dog/recipient graduation program. Although her energy is seriously limited due to mitochondrial disease she was able to deliver her part of the program successfully. If any of you would like to view her delivery it is posted on YouTube as Once Upon a Service Dog. I had camera duties that night and have no skills, so it is a bit wobbly at times.

Thank you all for the joy you bring in this forum! Beckie

Jeepers! It is distressing to know that some people are bringing fake service dogs on cruises. They could undo so much of the work that all of us with ligitimate service dogs have put into making sure that our dogs are accepted nearly everywhere without other people having to worry about what inappropriate things the dog might do.

I can see how a person might pull off getting a fake service dog on an airline flight - especially a small one in a carrier - but on a cruise of a week or more, the fakeness would soon become obvious. The people with the fake service dogs described above don't seem to have a clue what access training is, let alone exposing their dogs to it. The abusers should be reported.

Roz is right. A catheter should never be used on a dog (or a person) except in a life-threatening situation and under appropriate medical supervision. Even ordinary skin bacteria introduced into the bladder by a catheter can cause a subclinical infection of the bladder and the kidneys that may do considerable damage before it is discovered. Besides, having a catheter inserted (especially for a male) is a traumatic event. No wonder the dog mentioned above will pee when he just sees it! I train and have trained all of my dogs (pets and service dogs) to potty on command. They will potty where I tell them to, even if it is an usual or restrictive surface (such as a box of mulch).

On a happier note, Maddy's bag is packed - paperwork, food, dishes, water bottle, lemon scented pick-up bags, towel, treats, extra leash, a new Holly Roller ball, supplements, a doggy raincoat, brush, comb, toothpaste, toothbrush and herbal insect repellent. Have I forgotten anything? It's almost like traveling with a baby sans the diapers. I left the open bag on the bed for a few moments and La Ayla (my granddaughter's diabetic alert dog) got into it. She pulled out the new Holly Roller ball and the new bag of treats to claim for her own. Naughty dog! I had to laugh at her. Luckily she didn't have time to open the bag of treats. La Ayla has to stay at the kennel while I am gone. I hope she will like meeting the new dogs there. Rosie

Our airport security routine is I go through first and don't set off the alarm, Ollie goes though and does because of the collar and harness and comes to me, then my husband goes through and does not. The dog gets a pat down. It is generally a smooth process but we tell tsa how we do it.

Yes. This pattern through TSA is what I had in mind also. Last time I had to have a pat-down as well because I wore my knee braces and they have metal bands on the sides. I really need my knee braces for walking on the ship and for going ashore.

I am trying to decide if I can leave my knee braces off untill after I walk Maddy in Dallas. We have a 2 hour lay-over there and I plan to walk Maddy but we have to go outside to a grassy area and then back through security again. I will have wheel chair service but not to take her outside. I guess I should just suck up the 2 pat-downs because the knee braces are bulky and my luggage is already full. Luckily there is some kind of room (atrium maybe) at the Seattle airport where I can walk her before I get my luggage without going out of security.

I arrive in Seattle at 12:40 AM so there is no way that I am going out of the airport until closer to the time for the Quick Shuttle bus at 6AM. So many details to plan ahead of time. Rosie

Cruz rose what about life jacket and sun screen? I also brought a swamp cooler coat mushers secret and boots. And do you have medicines? My vet gave me lots of stuff antibiotics cerenia for sea sickness etc.

John is doing great! He says he hasn't felt this good in months, so I think this was a problem when he went to the ER in April. I guess they didn't CAT scan the right places back then, or it was just starting then.

Johns aunt always has a 4th picnic today, of course it always seems to be the hottest day of the year. It's 8:45 am and already 83 degrees out!! :eek: The dew point is 73, it can't be any more humid than that. YUCK!!!!!!!! Hate it!! The van has no air conditioning, (broke a few weeks ago) So we are dropping it off today. That means I have to get John in and out of my car in this heat. Just love it! :D

I'm sorry I missed DKD leaving for his cruise. I hope he's having a good time.

Todd's pet, This fake service dog thing is just happening too much. We would have reported it just like Roz said. This is ruining it for the rest of us who have to jump through hoops to prove our dogs are legit.

Wexler is the worst dog ever in the heat. Just taking him out to pee and he's huffing and puffing by the time we get back in. He really is what we call "a country clubber". He loves his air conditioning. We discussed last night how he rules the roost around here. Sometimes I feel like his servant. :eek:

Everyone have a great 4th and keep cool!:cool:

Yay! John! I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling so much better. Sorry about the dang air conditioning in the van. Humidity is my enemy!!!

Cindy, you're an amazing woman how you take care of everyone so well. Kudos to you my friend. You have a happy and fun 4th.

Wexy has the right attitude.....stay cool and comfy big boy!

I took Brenda and Horty to the spa yesterday and bringing them home was such a trip...besides having to use the ramp to get Brenda in and out of the car, she was so "done" walking to our front door. She was exhausted from her full day. I don't know how many more excursions she'll be able to do with Horty and me. She breathes so hard and looks like she's ready to drop at the end of it. I'm sure the heat doesn't help but it doesn't take much to wear her out these days.

I'm thankful to have her in my life and will give her all the rest she needs, without pushing her too much! Horty's pretty crazy about her too!

Just wanted to say hello to all of you. I love reading your posts each day as they pop up in my email! This keeps my hopes up that some day my daughter and her service dog Gibson will be up to trying a cruise. (She just got a Trilogy ventilator that makes her more portable instead of being stuck in her room attached to the Bi-Pap machine.)

Last Friday she was the guest speaker at Paws for Freedom's service dog/recipient graduation program. Although her energy is seriously limited due to mitochondrial disease she was able to deliver her part of the program successfully. If any of you would like to view her delivery it is posted on YouTube as Once Upon a Service Dog. I had camera duties that night and have no skills, so it is a bit wobbly at times.

Thank you all for the joy you bring in this forum! Beckie

Welcome Beckie, to your daughter and Gibson, I hope that all of you will be able to enjoy a cruise together one day, too!

Congratulations on your daughter's and Gibson's graduation. Her world will be so much fuller and joyful with Gibson in it.

I'll try to find the YouTube video. Have a happy 4th.

Jeepers! It is distressing to know that some people are bringing fake service dogs on cruises. They could undo so much of the work that all of us with ligitimate service dogs have put into making sure that our dogs are accepted nearly everywhere without other people having to worry about what inappropriate things the dog might do.

I can see how a person might pull off getting a fake service dog on an airline flight - especially a small one in a carrier - but on a cruise of a week or more, the fakeness would soon become obvious. The people with the fake service dogs described above don't seem to have a clue what access training is, let alone exposing their dogs to it. The abusers should be reported.

Roz is right. A catheter should never be used on a dog (or a person) except in a life-threatening situation and under appropriate medical supervision. Even ordinary skin bacteria introduced into the bladder by a catheter can cause a subclinical infection of the bladder and the kidneys that may do considerable damage before it is discovered. Besides, having a catheter inserted (especially for a male) is a traumatic event. No wonder the dog mentioned above will pee when he just sees it! I train and have trained all of my dogs (pets and service dogs) to potty on command. They will potty where I tell them to, even if it is an usual or restrictive surface (such as a box of mulch).

On a happier note, Maddy's bag is packed - paperwork, food, dishes, water bottle, lemon scented pick-up bags, towel, treats, extra leash, a new Holly Roller ball, supplements, a doggy raincoat, brush, comb, toothpaste, toothbrush and herbal insect repellent. Have I forgotten anything? It's almost like traveling with a baby sans the diapers. I left the open bag on the bed for a few moments and La Ayla (my granddaughter's diabetic alert dog) got into it. She pulled out the new Holly Roller ball and the new bag of treats to claim for her own. Naughty dog! I had to laugh at her. Luckily she didn't have time to open the bag of treats. La Ayla has to stay at the kennel while I am gone. I hope she will like meeting the new dogs there. Rosie

Rosie, you're more than ready and so is Maddy. I vote for leaving the knee braces on.

I'm always afraid that one packing day my dogs will get adventurous and start opening the food bags. Thank goodness it's never happened yet.

Hard to believe about the catheter isn't it?

You're going to have such a fun cruise. Just don't forget to be ready for all the questions and with that cute face of Maddy's be ready for folks who want to just pat her!

Cruz rose what about life jacket and sun screen? I also brought a swamp cooler coat mushers secret and boots. And do you have medicines? My vet gave me lots of stuff antibiotics cerenia for sea sickness etc.

I ALWAYS bring a bottle of antibiotic ear solution, Visine [eye drops], Benadryl capsules Benadryl and cortisone cream for any doggie emergencies. Brenda once stepped on a bee in Vancouver and I applied Benadryl cream and gave her a 25mg Benadryl [hidden in a piece of bread.] She did really well and, it saved me having to find an emergency vet.

I've been lucky in that neither of my dogs were bothered by the ships movement.

Mornin' all:

My computer went on strike and needs to go to the computer doctor. So, I am trying to steal every moment on can on hubbies. He doesn't share well with others!

Cindy: So glad John is doing better. Too bad they couldn't have fixed him up in April! :(. As for Sexy Wexy, MOM, the humidity would kill me too! He is such a big goofball.

Rosie: When I buy a new bag of dog food, I have to hide it in the closet until I am ready to put it in Jezzy Lou's bucket. Other wise sweet little innoscent (sp) kitty Leann Emily is the one to chew the bag open and sample the doggy goods! I would expect Jezzy Lou to do it, not kitty.

Well it is already Friday, everyone have a great weekend.