Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Welcome Tee, you're absolutely right about the taxi cab drivers. They're hesitant about allowing a dog in their cab. In St. Thomas we befriended a cab driver who was waiting at the pier, gave him an extra tip [before we even got in his cab] and showed him how well behaved and clean Brenda was, he then had no problem allowing her in his car.

In Washington, San Francisco, New York, Paris, Switzerland, Las Vegas and a few other places, Morey would hail a cab while Brenda and I would stand on the side, when the cab stopped he would open the door, sit down and we would then walk over and climb in. The cab driver never knew what hit him!!!

Sometimes you've got to be creative to get anywhere. I think it's a lot more common today to see someone with a Service Dog than it used to be.

I hope you decide to travel with your dog by your side.

Morning all - we are back from our fabulous trip to Alaska!

We had the best of times but the very, very best was when we went to pick up our furry babies and we had the biggest doggy hugs you can imagine.

However, it seems they had a great holiday too, with lots of walks, barking opportunities and hugs from the girls there. They are taken on walks in a "doggy gang" and absolutely love it - they have fenced off and secure fields where they can run and let their doggy energy wear off (some hope!).

As soon as they hear our voices it is a mad dash to find my car and jump in - they are so funny! The boy dog has been following me around now since we got home - that's when he's not catching up on his sleep!

Roz - how are you doing? I did think about you and Morey when we went up the train at Skagway and when I saw all those Inukshuks (A guide used by Northern peoples for a safe journey through life's travels and also the symbol used for the Winter Olympics as few years ago) at the top, it made me think of all my friends on here - we have certainly been through some of life's toughest journeys this past year.

DKD - when are you off on your Alaska Adventure - I wish you and yours a fabulous time :D!

Rangeley - hope your house guest behaved himself - poor Wex!

We had the best of times but the very, very best was when we went to pick up our furry babies and we had the biggest doggy hugs you can imagine.

However, it seems they had a great holiday too, with lots of walks, barking opportunities and hugs from the girls there. They are taken on walks in a "doggy gang" and absolutely love it - they have fenced off and secure fields where they can run and let their doggy energy wear off (some hope!).

As soon as they hear our voices it is a mad dash to find my car and jump in - they are so funny! The boy dog has been following me around now since we got home - that's when he's not catching up on his sleep!

Roz - how are you doing? I did think about you and Morey when we went up the train at Skagway and when I saw all those Inukshuks (A guide used by Northern peoples for a safe journey through life's travels and also the symbol used for the Winter Olympics as few years ago) at the top, it made me think of all my friends on here - we have certainly been through some of life's toughest journeys this past year.

DKD - when are you off on your Alaska Adventure - I wish you and yours a fabulous time :D!

Welcome home. Isn't Alaska beautiful!

You definitely brought a tear to my eye. Morey, Brenda and I had a wonderful time in Alaska and the train ride was Morey's favorite.

It sounds like your dogs had a good vacation too. I'm so glad to hear that.

I'm going to be trying the doggie-day care for Brenda at least one day this coming week. Just to give her some variety in her life. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks Roz...

I wanted to go to Maho beach to see the planes land. This may be a bit too much for Chilli dog. I love this thread about service dogs.

If Chilli's a Service Dog, nothing is too much. They're so used to everything. Their training allows them to go everywhere and anywhere with you-The only thing I do worry about are other dogs who live on the various islands and have no idea that your dog won't react to them at all!

And, the folks who could care less about how trained, well groomed or well behaved your dog is....they don't want to be around a dog, no matter what!!!!

Yes..he's a trained hearing dog and some places are too much. Example...fireworks show at Universal Studios.

I also worry about stray dogs on the islands. On our last cruise the potty box wasn't an issue on Carnival.

Anyone with experience leaving their service dog in a crate while on excursions.

Fairbourne,

So glad you had a great time. There's nothing worse than having someone come back from where you are about to go saying that trip was crap!! :D We fly to Vancouver, BC on Sunday morning and get on the Disney Wonder Monday morning.

Fairbourne,

So glad you had a great time. There's nothing worse than having someone come back from where you are about to go saying that trip was crap!! :D We fly to Vancouver, BC on Sunday morning and get on the Disney Wonder Monday morning.

Excitement is great isn't it??? LOL!

I am almost 100% sure my DH's colleague is on your ship - so he has been told to look out for Orsen, so if he spots you he may well come over and say hello! So if a Scottish guy says hello, it's him! I'm just sad it's not me saying hello but I'm excited that someone I know is getting the chance to meet one of my cyber doggy pals! ;):)

Have a wonderful time and I look forward to hearing all about it when you come home. BTW we had a lovely short stay in Vancouver. It is a lovely city and very friendly we found.

Welcome home. Isn't Alaska beautiful!

You definitely brought a tear to my eye. Morey, Brenda and I had a wonderful time in Alaska and the train ride was Morey's favorite.

It sounds like your dogs had a good vacation too. I'm so glad to hear that.

I'm going to be trying the doggie-day care for Brenda at least one day this coming week. Just to give her some variety in her life. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

That will be good for Brenda - I think the dogs do love their routines but a change is good and it sounds like a perfect solution so she won't get too tired out with going too often - a bit like for the old ladies here when they go to their "lunch club" once a week! LOL!

We were lucky our train carriage had lots of room, no crowds so we could move around if we wished and didn't have to worry about missing any views at all. I even spotted a Ptarmigan - and that's rare. We went with Chilkoot Charters who had their own carriage, so that worked out very well. I wish we had had more time on the train though!

I still can't believe how stunning Alaska is and we are thinking about going back but maybe adding a land stay as we would have liked to have spent more time in some places.

Fairbourne--Welcome back from Alaska. Glad to hear your trip was great. Hope to get there one day.

DisneyKidsDad----have a great trip to Alaska.

Roz-----sending hugs----you sound that you are bouncing back. I am sure there will be hard days but life has to go on. Glad Brenda will get a day out.

Cindy----Sorry Wex couldn't enjoy the puppy and you couldn't have him for the 10 days. But it didn't sound like fun for any of you.

Hello to the new posters------this board can give you lots of advice and they are such kind and fun people. They feel like family after your first post. And happy cruising with your fur babies, if you go cruising.

TeeChi----Maho Beach was fun. If you stand on the beach, I think it would be bad------because you get sand blasted and it is loud. But there is a nice restaurant right next to the beach and it might not be too loud for Chilli dog. I don't remember that the sound was anything like fireworks. If you are near an airport----maybe take him around there to hear the planes and see what he does.

Take care everyone and Happy Fourth of July. We are headed up to Homosassa for a few weeks. Have a great summer.

Trudy

Do you still need paperwork for various islands if You do not plan to take your service dog off the ship?

Also, is it okay to leave my dog in a crate in the cabin?

Many thanks

You need paperwork to get ON the ship. Various islands may require something else. Check with your Vet or the cruiseline to get any special requirements for certain ports.

Which ports are you visiting? Cindy has a lot of information on Caribbean ports.

I have NEVER left my dog in a crate, in my cabin. What if there's an emergency onboard, while your dog is alone? You will need to check with the cruiseline and then again with the Hotel Manager while your onboard to see if this is even allowable.

I once had a crew member take Brenda for a walk and to visit the Captain, I was very nervous about her leaving my side. But, that's just me!

Fairbourne--Welcome back from Alaska. Glad to hear your trip was great. Hope to get there one day.

DisneyKidsDad----have a great trip to Alaska.

Roz-----sending hugs----you sound that you are bouncing back. I am sure there will be hard days but life has to go on. Glad Brenda will get a day out.

Cindy----Sorry Wex couldn't enjoy the puppy and you couldn't have him for the 10 days. But it didn't sound like fun for any of you.

Hello to the new posters------this board can give you lots of advice and they are such kind and fun people. They feel like family after your first post. And happy cruising with your fur babies, if you go cruising.

TeeChi----Maho Beach was fun. If you stand on the beach, I think it would be bad------because you get sand blasted and it is loud. But there is a nice restaurant right next to the beach and it might not be too loud for Chilli dog. I don't remember that the sound was anything like fireworks. If you are near an airport----maybe take him around there to hear the planes and see what he does.

Take care everyone and Happy Fourth of July. We are headed up to Homosassa for a few weeks. Have a great summer.

Trudy

Trudy, thank you and have a restful, joyful two weeks.

That will be good for Brenda - I think the dogs do love their routines but a change is good and it sounds like a perfect solution so she won't get too tired out with going too often - a bit like for the old ladies here when they go to their "lunch club" once a week! LOL!

We were lucky our train carriage had lots of room, no crowds so we could move around if we wished and didn't have to worry about missing any views at all. I even spotted a Ptarmigan - and that's rare. We went with Chilkoot Charters who had their own carriage, so that worked out very well. I wish we had had more time on the train though!

I still can't believe how stunning Alaska is and we are thinking about going back but maybe adding a land stay as we would have liked to have spent more time in some places.

That is so funny......Brenda is such an "old woman!" Although, she has some truly happy moments since Horty has come into her life. She mostly just wants to sleep, eat and watch TV. Of course, I can't forget her snacking on rice cakes......she loves those!!!!!

Fairbourne,

Happy Sails to you and your family! Have a glorious time!!!!

So, Cindy, how did the puppy do? And, is our Wex in one piece?

Brenda stayed up on her couch when I left this morning......she watched us walk out the door but she never moved a muscle. I'm glad but I'm still worried about her being lonely.

The groomer is closed today but I'll call tomorrow and look into her staying with them one day a week and see if she likes being with a pack of dogs for the day.

Someone from CCI suggested that I look into a retirement home for Brenda - It's a volunteer home, through CCI, where senior dogs can live out their lives with other senior dogs. You get to visit [if the home is close to you], as if sending her off wouldn't be difficult enough, or you simply send your dog off with a suit case and a big hug and kiss. OMG, can you imagine!!!!!

It all sounds good but could I ever do it.....NO WAY!!!!!

My dear Roz: Sending Brenda off to a retirement home is like saying you would drive your SUV into the ocean and sail it under the Golden Gate Bridge. Ain't happening, no way, no how. Auntie Nancy, Cindy, Trudy, Fairboure, Marcia, Quampet, Uncle Denny, need I list more would converge on your house and scoop up the stately Ms. Brenny and kidnap her, first. It is nice knowing that CCI did think about the possiblity of a need for this kind of assistance. I could see if a "parent" of the service dog passed away and their was no one else to care for them, it would be an alternative.

Sliding off my soap box!

My dear Roz: Sending Brenda off to a retirement home is like saying you would drive your SUV into the ocean and sail it under the Golden Gate Bridge. Ain't happening, no way, no how. Auntie Nancy, Cindy, Trudy, Fairboure, Marcia, Quampet, Uncle Denny, need I list more would converge on your house and scoop up the stately Ms. Brenny and kidnap her, first. It is nice knowing that CCI did think about the possiblity of a need for this kind of assistance. I could see if a "parent" of the service dog passed away and their was no one else to care for them, it would be an alternative.

Sliding off my soap box!

Bravo SS cruisers - I would be your wing woman in any Brenda covert kidnap attempt any day! LOL! Mind you we would be met with strong and firm resistance with Mama Roz and her Big Hair wielding her sweeping broom with her wingman Horty taking up the rear! And all the while La Brenda would be snoozing happily on her favourite couch! OK Now I know I am going maaaaad! LOL!

Funny thing happened today in the garden ....

Boy and girl dog out early morning for you know what and always a lot of rushing around checking out what's been going on in the garden overnight ... Visiting neighbourhood cats, foxes, rabbits, etc. .... The DH said all of a sudden a bird swooped out of the bushes and boy dog lunged, missed, girl dog lunged, thankfully she had her big mouth shut or it would have been bye bye baby blackbird ... But it did bounce off her nose ... Then two very angry and noisy parent blackbirds swooped down and bounced off girl dog's back, telling her off big time, as she had that goofy expression Labradors have perfected .... "Wot???!!!" - you know the one with the mouth half open, looking totally glaiket ... A good old Scots word for stupid/ foolish!

I missed it all as I was still in the realms of my beauty sleep! ;)

Excitement is great isn't it??? LOL!

I am almost 100% sure my DH's colleague is on your ship - so he has been told to look out for Orsen, so if he spots you he may well come over and say hello! So if a Scottish guy says hello, it's him! I'm just sad it's not me saying hello but I'm excited that someone I know is getting the chance to meet one of my cyber doggy pals! ;):)

Have a wonderful time and I look forward to hearing all about it when you come home. BTW we had a lovely short stay in Vancouver. It is a lovely city and very friendly we found.

I will keep my eyes peeled for him. I would be more than happy to introduce him to Orson. Oh yeah...to my family too. :o

That brings tears to my eyes. Sending a dog off. I agree...no way.

I know, doesn't it sound awful! However, there are some folks who can not care for more than one dog and it's certainly nice to know that CCI does provide an alternative for the Service Dog handler.

Sliding off my soap box!

I always appreciate your soapbox.

The transition for these senior dogs is so difficult when they have to be given to someone else to care for them [especially on the handler]. You and I would think that it's horribly sad but these dogs [Labs and Lab/Golden's] are so used to going from home to home and people to people, they love the one they're with.

It's remarkable and amazing how they can be handed off from one person to another and adjust so well!!!! I'd be a basket case!!!!!

I don't know how the Puppyraiser's do it.

Bravo SS cruisers - I would be your wing woman in any Brenda covert kidnap attempt any day! LOL! Mind you we would be met with strong and firm resistance with Mama Roz and her Big Hair wielding her sweeping broom with her wingman Horty taking up the rear! And all the while La Brenda would be snoozing happily on her favourite couch! OK Now I know I am going maaaaad! LOL!

Funny thing happened today in the garden ....

Boy and girl dog out early morning for you know what and always a lot of rushing around checking out what's been going on in the garden overnight ... Visiting neighbourhood cats, foxes, rabbits, etc. .... The DH said all of a sudden a bird swooped out of the bushes and boy dog lunged, missed, girl dog lunged, thankfully she had her big mouth shut or it would have been bye bye baby blackbird ... But it did bounce off her nose ... Then two very angry and noisy parent blackbirds swooped down and bounced off girl dog's back, telling her off big time, as she had that goofy expression Labradors have perfected .... "Wot???!!!" - you know the one with the mouth half open, looking totally glaiket ... A good old Scots word for stupid/ foolish!

I missed it all as I was still in the realms of my beauty sleep! ;)

OMG! You are so funny......I literally am laughing so loudly.

The visual of the Labs and the birds is hysterical. I would have been so upset if the dogs had captured the poor bird. Good for the mama bird!!!! She taught those naughty dogs a lesson! :cool:

Thank goodness CCI trains the prey-drive out of our dogs!