Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz: I believe I got ours from Dr. Foster/Smith also, may have been prior to yours. Anyway, it folded in half, that is where the pinched fingers come from. Sounds like sliding into itself is safer for fingers.

Brenda used to literally fly into the back seat of my SUV, but when she reached the age of 10 she started refusing to jump into the back seat and my Vet recommended the ramp. At first, I used it for her to go into the back seat and when Horton came along, he stepped up onto the seat [without jumping] and I made a bed for Brenny in the back and would lift up the back door and lean the ramp against the back bumper and she would climb right up into her bed.

I store the ramp on the opposite side of the rear compartment. It's not too heavy to manipulate and slides in and out easily. It stretches out far enough so it's not too steep for her climb up and down on.

I highly recommend this ramp for anyone who has a senior dog or a dog with hip problems and they want to keep them actively going into and out of their taller vehicles. It's paid for itself over and over again.

Hello. I just joined. Going to these two ports along with Haiti and San Juan

St Maarten and Bermuda requiring import permits in addition to intl health certificate. Requiring worming extra vaccines microchip and that my vet put frontline on. I am wondering what your experiences have been. I did the chip even though my dog was tattooedalready.

Is there a special microchip needed to be scanned in foreign ports, (Caribbean and Canada) or will the US chip be ok? My "Snickers" puts smiles on strangers faces everyday!

Is there a special microchip needed to be scanned in foreign ports, (Caribbean and Canada) or will the US chip be ok? My "Snickers" puts smiles on strangers faces everyday!

Welcome "ShakeNbake", I know there is a universal chip, I'm thinking that's the one Horty's got. I'd have to go check the paperwork. There is absolutely no way that I will put another chip in him. And, Brenda's done going on international travels and when she did travel over sea's we didn't chip her. Immigration accepted all her paperwork.

How cute is the name "Snickers!" ;)

Happy Memorial Day to all our Vets and those who are serving for our country....I wish you a speedy and safe return to your loved ones and homes.

To all of our Wounded Warriors with a Service Dog may your lives be filled with happy and healthy days ahead. :)

Brenda used to literally fly into the back seat of my SUV, but when she reached the age of 10 she started refusing to jump into the back seat and my Vet recommended the ramp. At first, I used it for her to go into the back seat and when Horton came along, he stepped up onto the seat [without jumping] and I made a bed for Brenny in the back and would lift up the back door and lean the ramp against the back bumper and she would climb right up into her bed.

I store the ramp on the opposite side of the rear compartment. It's not too heavy to manipulate and slides in and out easily. It stretches out far enough so it's not too steep for her climb up and down on.

I highly recommend this ramp for anyone who has a senior dog or a dog with hip problems and they want to keep them actively going into and out of their taller vehicles. It's paid for itself over and over again.

Thanks all - we are definitely looking into getting big boy one - after another lifting session! I have a 4x4 (SUV) and I think he just can't see or work out how much landing space he has as he tries to jump into their doggie crate. And of course girl dog is always there first slightly blocking his way! Mind you he never seems to have a problem when leaving the kennels!

Roz - how did you get on with checking out the doggy care for Miss Brenda?

Thanks all - we are definitely looking into getting big boy one - after another lifting session! I have a 4x4 (SUV) and I think he just can't see or work out how much landing space he has as he tries to jump into their doggie crate. And of course girl dog is always there first slightly blocking his way! Mind you he never seems to have a problem when leaving the kennels!

Roz - how did you get on with checking out the doggy care for Miss Brenda?

The "Wagging Tails Lounge" [her groomer] will be taking care of Miss "B" when I go away. She will stay at the "Lounge" during the day and will go home with the owner in the evening. I'll bring her bed from the car into the lounge for the day and Horty's bed for her evenings. There are lots of other dogs to keep her company for the daytime [they're there for doggy-daycare] and, only a few to go home with.

I hope she'll want to go home with me at the end of the week!

We're going to try a few short stays to get her used to it and to see how she does.

It will be interesting to see how we both do.

I'm open for any suggestions from all of you on how to make it easy on both of us. We've NEVER been separated, other than when PaPa would be with her when I went away or off to work.

You know she's a senior dog and my only worry is that she be pampered and loved.

The "Wagging Tails Lounge" [her groomer] will be taking care of Miss "B" when I go away. She will stay at the "Lounge" during the day and will go home with the owner in the evening. I'll bring her bed from the car into the lounge for the day and Horty's bed for her evenings. There are lots of other dogs to keep her company for the daytime [they're there for doggy-daycare] and, only a few to go home with.

I hope she'll want to go home with me at the end of the week!

We're going to try a few short stays to get her used to it and to see how she does.

It will be interesting to see how we both do.

I'm open for any suggestions from all of you on how to make it easy on both of us. We've NEVER been separated, other than when PaPa would be with her when I went away or off to work.

You know she's a senior dog and my only worry is that she be pampered and loved.

Hi Roz - I think you hit the nail on the head when you wondered if she would want to go home with you when you get back! :p ;) Of course, she will, but it sounds like you have found a lovely place for her to go with safe company and her own bed to doze in and the big boy's for bedtime. She will be looked after very well and I think as long as Miss Brenda has her bed which will make her feel safe, she will be content and can doze and dream of room service! After all what's a doggy to do on holiday? ;):)

I fret over ours, putting them in is the worst and driving away, I will not kid you on that Roz. But and it is a big but, you have to kind of put them out of your mind whilst you are away - I know that may sound harsh, but otherwise you would be worrying yourself sick the whole time. And that does no-one any good at all and if you get stressed, then you will only worry Mr Horton and we don't want to do that, now do we? If we are away for longer than a week, I do email a couple of times to see how they are doing, so you could arrange to do that or just a quick phone call.

I know that we leave them in safe hands. I remember we left an elderly cat and I wrote a "just in case" letter with our wishes in it if the absolute worst should happen while we were away. I addressed it to the lovely Cattery lady and I cried buckets I can tell you when I was writing it, but I steeled myself as it needed to be done. She was able to hand it back to me unopened with a big smile.

Your plan of a sample overnight is great as that will put your mind at rest that she will be absolutely fine.

Our kennel chap has told me that the "mums and dads" get much more upset than the guests! Our furry friends are much more accepting of things than we are, but we can't help putting our feelings into how we may think they are feeling - we are just big softies when it comes to our furry babies and why not, they give us so much love and don't ask for much back, now do they? :)

Roz, Miss B will be fine. Hugs! :D

I apologize for asking a question that may have already been answered, but for the instance of saving the time of reading up on nearly 470 pages, ill just ask again.

We are cruising over this coming Christmas and new years holidays. My father walks with crutches and suffers from CP, so we were able to get him our beloved Louie, a German Shepard service dog. When we got through the Hospital and another organization here in town, we were given him, with some basic instruction paperwork and his sets of vests and a patch, but no certification card or certification paperwork or anything.

I was looking online to try and see what documentation Carnival would need from us. Can anyone provide any insight as too if we need to send them Doctors letters confirming dads disability? Or will we need to contact the organization to try and obtain his certification papers?

Any help is always appreciated!

Hi Roz - I think you hit the nail on the head when you wondered if she would want to go home with you when you get back! :p ;) Of course, she will, but it sounds like you have found a lovely place for her to go with safe company and her own bed to doze in and the big boy's for bedtime. She will be looked after very well and I think as long as Miss Brenda has her bed which will make her feel safe, she will be content and can doze and dream of room service! After all what's a doggy to do on holiday? ;):)

I fret over ours, putting them in is the worst and driving away, I will not kid you on that Roz. But and it is a big but, you have to kind of put them out of your mind whilst you are away - I know that may sound harsh, but otherwise you would be worrying yourself sick the whole time. And that does no-one any good at all and if you get stressed, then you will only worry Mr Horton and we don't want to do that, now do we? If we are away for longer than a week, I do email a couple of times to see how they are doing, so you could arrange to do that or just a quick phone call.

I know that we leave them in safe hands. I remember we left an elderly cat and I wrote a "just in case" letter with our wishes in it if the absolute worst should happen while we were away. I addressed it to the lovely Cattery lady and I cried buckets I can tell you when I was writing it, but I steeled myself as it needed to be done. She was able to hand it back to me unopened with a big smile.

Your plan of a sample overnight is great as that will put your mind at rest that she will be absolutely fine.

Our kennel chap has told me that the "mums and dads" get much more upset than the guests! Our furry friends are much more accepting of things than we are, but we can't help putting our feelings into how we may think they are feeling - we are just big softies when it comes to our furry babies and why not, they give us so much love and don't ask for much back, now do they? :)

Roz, Miss B will be fine. Hugs! :D

So funny, I find myself reading your writings with an accent.....I'm sure it's far off from what you may sound like but I use my imagination and it's really quite lovely, I think!

Anyway, I think I've got a good plan for my sweet Miss "B" and I know I 'll think about her the whole time I'm away from her, with Horty.

We used to have a ****zu that would get deathly ill everytime we left him at the kennel to be boarded. We stopped traveling because of him and if he couldn't go with us, we didn't go!!!!! That little boy cost us $9,000 in Vet bills.....Morey adored him and he Morey!

I apologize for asking a question that may have already been answered, but for the instance of saving the time of reading up on nearly 470 pages, ill just ask again.

We are cruising over this coming Christmas and new years holidays. My father walks with crutches and suffers from CP, so we were able to get him our beloved Louie, a German Shepard service dog. When we got through the Hospital and another organization here in town, we were given him, with some basic instruction paperwork and his sets of vests and a patch, but no certification card or certification paperwork or anything.

I was looking online to try and see what documentation Carnival would need from us. Can anyone provide any insight as too if we need to send them Doctors letters confirming dads disability? Or will we need to contact the organization to try and obtain his certification papers?

Any help is always appreciated!

You MUST have a certificate and or letter from your father's doctor stating what Louie does for your father, exactly what physical or health issue does he mitigate for him.

You MUST have a recent Vet check proving that your dog's immunization record is current; that he is free from skin diseases and parasites; that he is on Heartguard/flea & tick abatement medicine;

He MUST have proof of a Microchip [for certain ports] and

A U.S. Interstate and International Cert. of Health Exam. For Small Animals form filled out by his Vet.

Louie MUST display exemplary behavior and not bark/nip/sniff or act inappropriate at all times, while around the public.

If Louie is a litgitimate Service Dog getting all of the above will be very simple. A visit to your Vet or Training Org. is all that is needed.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise with Louie. My dogs have made a world of difference in my cruising experiences. I highly recommend it! ;)

Woo Hoo...got all our cruise docs and luggage tags from Disney yesterday!! Only a month away now. The only thing left to do is schedule our car service to and from the airport. :D

I'm DOC DANCING with you! Please don't look too closely!

One of my most favorite parts of cruising; the anticipation!!!!!

Woo Hoo...got all our cruise docs and luggage tags from Disney yesterday!! Only a month away now. The only thing left to do is schedule our car service to and from the airport. :D

Wooohoo Den!!! You must be so excited. You've waited a long time for this cruise. I hope you have a great time. Just make sure you've got pics when you come back!!

I bought a lot of extra memory for my digital camera along with a second battery. I also bought a video camera. I can also take pictures with my Ipad and my daughter will have her Ipod. I think we are covered. We booked this trip over a year ago but now a month seems like forever. :(

I bought a lot of extra memory for my digital camera along with a second battery. I also bought a video camera. I can also take pictures with my Ipad and my daughter will have her Ipod. I think we are covered. We booked this trip over a year ago but now a month seems like forever. :(

Orson's going to love the sights/smells and sounds in Alaska. Brenda's ears/nose and eyes were going a mile a minute while we were there. She would waft her nose in the air and you could see that she was taking in all the fresh air and glorious smells.

I wouldn't mind going back a few more times! So amazingly gorgeous!

Orson's going to love the sights/smells and sounds in Alaska. Brenda's ears/nose and eyes were going a mile a minute while we were there. She would waft her nose in the air and you could see that she was taking in all the fresh air and glorious smells.

I wouldn't mind going back a few more times! So amazingly gorgeous!

I'll have to try and buy him a set of moose antlers so he can blend in. :D

Some bad news from our area today. Our nephew and his wife lost their twin girls last night. I'm not sure of all the details, but one twin was taking all the nourishment and the other was getting none. She was 5 months pregnant. Please include them in your prayers tonight. :( We are devastated by this loss.

Cindy

Some bad news from our area today. Our nephew and his wife lost their twin girls last night. I'm not sure of all the details, but one twin was taking all the nourishment and the other was getting none. She was 5 months pregnant. Please include them in your prayers tonight. :( We are devastated by this loss.

Cindy

Oh My! Cindy, I'm so, so sorry for this horrible loss for your niece, she must be heartbroken. Five months is truly a tragedy for her. I'll say a prayer for her, your nephew and for those little, innocent babies.

I'm so sorry. My arms are around you Cindy. Much Love to all.

Cindy

Oh Cindy, I am so very sad to read this devastating news ... Truly heartbreaking for all your family. Sending you our sincerest condolences, and may the babies sleep safely in the arms of the angels.

So funny, I find myself reading your writings with an accent.....I'm sure it's far off from what you may sound like but I use my imagination and it's really quite lovely, I think!

Anyway, I think I've got a good plan for my sweet Miss "B" and I know I 'll think about her the whole time I'm away from her, with Horty.

We used to have a ****zu that would get deathly ill everytime we left him at the kennel to be boarded. We stopped traveling because of him and if he couldn't go with us, we didn't go!!!!! That little boy cost us $9,000 in Vet bills.....Morey adored him and he Morey!

Oh that's too funny Roz ..... I wonder how the accent sounded, it was probably as interesting as my American one! LOL!

Well our dogs have gone to their hotel today - ran in all excited! and we are heading off on our cruise ..... I'm sorry DKD but we will be in Alaska before you!!! :D first time there, so very excited!

DKD, I think one of my DH's colleagues and his family may be on your cruise! He couldn't remember which Disney ship he was on, but he is sailing early July so I think it may be the ship you are on, so he has been told to look out for Orsen! :)

Oh that's too funny Roz ..... I wonder how the accent sounded, it was probably as interesting as my American one! LOL!

Well our dogs have gone to their hotel today - ran in all excited! and we are heading off on our cruise ..... I'm sorry DKD but we will be in Alaska before you!!! :D first time there, so very excited!

DKD, I think one of my DH's colleagues and his family may be on your cruise! He couldn't remember which Disney ship he was on, but he is sailing early July so I think it may be the ship you are on, so he has been told to look out for Orsen! :)

Have a wonderful time. It's such a beautiful part of the world. So majestically lovely. Enjoy, and come back and tell us all about it!

Will you be taking the White Pass Railway excursion? Morey and I loved it.