Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

OK...I hope I'm allowed to do this. Here is the link to the local paper with the puppy raising article in it about us. I hope it works.

http://www.readoz.com/publication/read?i=1062950#page1

Thank you so much for sharing the great article about your family and your wonderful work with CCI. Your daughter is an inspiration to all of us.

Kudo's to Orson for helping and putting up with all the work he does and his patience with those annoying pups along the way! ♥

Hi DKD, tried this link and it didn't work for me. It may well be this mini iPad!

I just looked in to post a photo of Miss Aruba - she's growing up fast our girl! :)

Any recent photos of Davis? I expect he's all grown up now too, well maybe in physical terms, but labs never grow up, do they??? Aruba is teething and she spits the baby teeth out, I don't know what she thinks the dog tooth fairy is going to bring LOL! Aruba is having a sleep over this week for one night only, with a lovely lady who boards for puppy walkers when they're on holiday. We're going to the theatre and I just felt Aruba is not quite ready to sit through a concert and it's a drive to get there, so I arranged this sleepover. It will be good for her, I'm sure she will find it quite strange and not sure of what's happening, and so will we. The house will be quieter that's for sure!

Your evening out sounds very nice. I don't know what Aruba will think! :confused: But, we all know how good it is for both our children and for us to get some time away from each other. [And, aren't our dogs just like our children!]

Aruba is a big girl now. She's so cute. I can't believe how her face has changed. She's a totally different dog. Are you sure that you're not switching dogs on us!

Hi DKD, tried this link and it didn't work for me. It may well be this mini iPad!

I just looked in to post a photo of Miss Aruba - she's growing up fast our girl! :)

Any recent photos of Davis? I expect he's all grown up now too, well maybe in physical terms, but labs never grow up, do they??? Aruba is teething and she spits the baby teeth out, I don't know what she thinks the dog tooth fairy is going to bring LOL! Aruba is having a sleep over this week for one night only, with a lovely lady who boards for puppy walkers when they're on holiday. We're going to the theatre and I just felt Aruba is not quite ready to sit through a concert and it's a drive to get there, so I arranged this sleepover. It will be good for her, I'm sure she will find it quite strange and not sure of what's happening, and so will we. The house will be quieter that's for sure!

Sorry you can't read the article. I have the same problem with my iPad. I should have some new pictures this weekend.

Thank you so much for sharing the great article about your family and your wonderful work with CCI. Your daughter is an inspiration to all of us.

Kudo's to Orson for helping and putting up with all the work he does and his patience with those annoying pups along the way! ♥

Thanks Roz, but all we are doing is having fun, meeting new people and going to new places. The dogs do the rest. :D

Still no news of Tess, the missing guide dog - they had some new leads from Saturday's search but nothing yet.

It's just so heartbreaking to think that she's not with her person. Her person must be so devastated.

I hope she's not injured and if someone did steal her that they are taking care of her and loving her. Such a terrible thought but I do wish her well.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks Roz, but all we are doing is having fun, meeting new people and going to new places. The dogs do the rest. :D

You don't give yourself enough credit. You and your daughter are the best ambassador's for CCI and the rest of us!

And, raising these pups so that people just like me can live a more complete and fulfilled life..........here come the tears! THANK YOU!!!!!

OK...I hope I'm allowed to do this. Here is the link to the local paper with the puppy raising article in it about us. I hope it works.

Thank you so much for posting this great article about your family. And a big thank you for being a puppy raiser. I posted a few months ago on this board that I am on the waiting list in the Northwest Region for a CCI dog. I really appreciate what you and your family are doing.

Dianne

Sorry you can't read the article. I have the same problem with my iPad. I should have some new pictures this weekend.

I did it - I went to my Macbook Pro and the link worked - these little ipads are great but they don't always like "stuff"!

What a super article - sounds like you have your pups for much longer than we will have Aruba. And I like the whole idea of graduation and meeting the new family/person - we rely on the new Guide Dog Owner wanting to keep in touch with us. I will be heartbroken if we don't hear about how Aruba is doing. She has just come up to me with those beautiful eyes which are trying to tell me it's time for tea! Yes, I do believe it is! We are running late tonight - I just had to dash in to pick the DH up from the train station - he had been in Edinburgh for the day for a meeting - and he said the same guide dog was on the train with his person. So a doggy commuter, it seems!

Great article - and if it gets even one more puppy walker - fabulous! :D

Thank you so much for posting this great article about your family. And a big thank you for being a puppy raiser. I posted a few months ago on this board that I am on the waiting list in the Northwest Region for a CCI dog. I really appreciate what you and your family are doing.

Dianne

Dianne, I know it seems like forever but the fact that you made it to the "Waiting List" is huge. When you're invited to Team Training please don't forget to let us know so that we can wait with you, like we've done with so many others.

You don't give yourself enough credit. You and your daughter are the best ambassador's for CCI and the rest of us!

And, raising these pups so that people just like me can live a more complete and fulfilled life..........here come the tears! THANK YOU!!!!!

I need to come on here with my MacBook Pro more often - just got the doggy at the bottom of your posts Roz. I did wonder what you were talking about as nothing happened from the ipad! OK, Aruba, I'm coming now ...... tea, Yes, on it's way!!!:rolleyes: I will have to come back and play with him some more later! :D

I need to come on here with my MacBook Pro more often - just got the doggy at the bottom of your posts Roz. I did wonder what you were talking about as nothing happened from the ipad! OK, Aruba, I'm coming now ...... tea, Yes, on it's way!!!:rolleyes: I will have to come back and play with him some more later! :D

He's so much fun.......Did we name him? We should!

Dianne, I know it seems like forever but the fact that you made it to the "Waiting List" is huge. When you're invited to Team Training please don't forget to let us know so that we can wait with you, like we've done with so many others.

I definitely will let you all know. I think its going to be a while since I have only been on the waiting list for six months. Hopefully by this time next year I will have my dog. In the meantime, I will follow along here to enjoy hearing about everyone else's dogs.

Dianne

I definitely will let you all know. I think its going to be a while since I have only been on the waiting list for six months. Hopefully by this time next year I will have my dog. In the meantime, I will follow along here to enjoy hearing about everyone else's dogs.

Dianne

Such a good idea. You'll be part of the "in crowd" when it's time for you to go. I remember the waiting list. For me it was 2 years for Brenda and 1 year for Horton.

Every time I saw the CCI logo on an envelope, in the mail, I used to get goose bumps.

You're going to love being part of the CCI family.

There's quite a few of us on this thread. Maybe we'll get to cruise together one day! ♥

30 days to go before we cruise. I have to make appointments for grooming and a visit with the Vet to get his travel papers.

I'm still debating about getting a "buddy" for Horton. Another dog to share his home and time with. Although, his buddy couldn't go cruising with us and he'd have to be boarded when we cruised, I think Horton would benefit from the company of another dog. I have to think about it very hard. I will still be working which means "doggie daycare" daily. Must do some heavy thinking.

Someone suggest getting a cat [not a kitty] but an older cat that's used to having dogs around, that would be playful but is already trained. A rescue. I must confess, I'm not much of a cat person. This would take some very heavy thinking.

Any suggestions from you guys? I'm open. :confused:

30 days to go before we cruise. I have to make appointments for grooming and a visit with the Vet to get his travel papers.

I'm still debating about getting a "buddy" for Horton. Another dog to share his home and time with. Although, his buddy couldn't go cruising with us and he'd have to be boarded when we cruised, I think Horton would benefit from the company of another dog. I have to think about it very hard. I will still be working which means "doggie daycare" daily. Must do some heavy thinking.

Someone suggest getting a cat [not a kitty] but an older cat that's used to having dogs around, that would be playful but is already trained. A rescue. I must confess, I'm not much of a cat person. This would take some very heavy thinking.

Any suggestions from you guys? I'm open. :confused:

Get a cat! An older cat who has lived with dogs before will give you lots of joy! We adopted an older cat (10 years old) - sadly no longer with us but she lived till she was 18 - and she was here before the dogs arrived. However, from day one pretty much, made it clear to Poppy that she was the boss! And she was! Our current cats love the dogs, all of them. It took a few weeks for Aruba to learn to be calm around them and they would come to her and give her lots of cats head butts and kisses.

Another dog would be great, but I would worry about all the extra work with doggy day care, and the cost! :eek:

A cat is self sufficient, they enjoy human and dog company, but they do love their own company too! Our cats tend to be upstairs most of the time (dog free peace) and I do love "cat energy" - it's just so calm, quite different from the frantic dog energy downstairs!

Would you intend to let the cat out to roam, or would it be an indoors cat? Ours get out into the enclosed courtyard, but no further! Too many speeding tractors!

Dogs and cats can be very good pals. And good for you too, a cat sleeping and purring contented on your lap is very good for you - it's a great stress release stroking any animal. :)

Gosh, can't believe you're cruising so soon! :p:D

image.jpg.960c87c439e1d3f457135a3206787934.jpg

Dianne

Dianne, I remember waiting for our pup to arrive, and it seemed like it would never happen - but it did and it seems like she's been here forever!

And you never know, you might be lucky like our CarribeanChris who got Raylene before she thought she would! :D

As Roz says we will wait with you. :)

So today Aruba goes for her sleepover. I've got her sleeping crate, blankets, cushion, toys, food (weighed out and bagged for each meal), treats, spare lead, indoor collar (!), food bowl, the mat she sits on to eat her food - I hope that's everything! And a towel for drying her off after her walk (it's raining here and miserable).

All for an evening at the theatre! LOL!

Edited by fairbourne

OK, by popular demand (well, Fairbourne mentioned it a while back), here is a photo from Niagara Falls this summer when Hearing Dog Raylene and I donned our chic plastic ensembles (they offered her a child's size) to ride on the Maid of the Mist boat. My girl has her game face on, as usual. She'll do anything - once.

(Still figuring out how to post images bigger than a thumbnail.)

1655426182_NiagaraFallsvertical.jpg.db95a0b90880982dce2e63566541cf1e.jpg

I'm still debating about getting a "buddy" for Horton. Another dog to share his home and time with. Although, his buddy couldn't go cruising with us and he'd have to be boarded when we cruised, I think Horton would benefit from the company of another dog.[/b]

Roz, it's great that CCI has no problems with your having a second dog. When I applied to Dogs for the Deaf for Raylene, the application had a check box that I understood I could not have any other dogs in the household. (Cats are usually OK.) Not sure why.

I think Colleen had to give up her Osborn when he retired before she could bring home Misty, too.

(By the way, Roz, your animated lab at the foot of your signature is the MOST entertaining thing I've ever seen on Cruise Critic! Love playing with it! I think of her as "Cher," because before getting Raylene, I wrote an article about a yellow lab hearing dog by that name.)

DKD, what a GREAT article about CCI and your family! Thank you so much for sharing it with everybody. The reporter did a good job of getting it right, from what I can tell.

When I received Raylene, we had a couple of interviews (optional for recipients, but I was happy to help spread the word). One reporter got it right, the other was wa-a-a-y off base.

CCI is a great organization and I know they appreciated your family helping get their story out to the public.

OK, by popular demand (well, Fairbourne mentioned it a while back), here is a photo from Niagara Falls this summer when Hearing Dog Raylene and I donned our chic plastic ensembles (they offered her a child's size) to ride on the Maid of the Mist boat. My girl has her game face on, as usual. She'll do anything - once.

What a lovely photo! I just love seeing these dogs - and their peeps - she clearly adores her Mum! even though she makes her wear this silly blue coat! ;):) btw was I correct in thinking you did get Raylene sooner than expected?

I have no idea now to post bigger photos either - anyone help us with this? DKD? Dobiemom? It's probably in a "sticky" somewhere!

Just dropped Aruba off with all her luggage - we had a plan to give her her lunch whilst I snuck out. This worked as she knew something was up as she sat by my feet at the puppy boarder's house- They're not daft are they? :rolleyes::D.

DKD, what a GREAT article about CCI and your family! Thank you so much for sharing it with everybody. The reporter did a good job of getting it right, from what I can tell.

When I received Raylene, we had a couple of interviews (optional for recipients, but I was happy to help spread the word). One reporter got it right, the other was wa-a-a-y off base.

CCI is a great organization and I know they appreciated your family helping get their story out to the public.

What you need to do for bigger photos is go to photobucket dot com and create a free account. Then you can upload pictures to the account and then insert them here full size. It's pretty easy to do.

Get a cat! An older cat who has lived with dogs before will give you lots of joy! We adopted an older cat (10 years old) - sadly no longer with us but she lived till she was 18 - and she was here before the dogs arrived. However, from day one pretty much, made it clear to Poppy that she was the boss! And she was! Our current cats love the dogs, all of them. It took a few weeks for Aruba to learn to be calm around them and they would come to her and give her lots of cats head butts and kisses.

Another dog would be great, but I would worry about all the extra work with doggy day care, and the cost! :eek:

A cat is self sufficient, they enjoy human and dog company, but they do love their own company too! Our cats tend to be upstairs most of the time (dog free peace) and I do love "cat energy" - it's just so calm, quite different from the frantic dog energy downstairs!

Would you intend to let the cat out to roam, or would it be an indoors cat? Ours get out into the enclosed courtyard, but no further! Too many speeding tractors!

Dogs and cats can be very good pals. And good for you too, a cat sleeping and purring contented on your lap is very good for you - it's a great stress release stroking any animal. :)

Gosh, can't believe you're cruising so soon! :p:D

Such great advice.....I am going to ponder this one. I would have to do some very heavy interviewing because who ever I introduce to Horton would have to love, love, love "puppy antics!" :eek: He's a puppy through and through when he's home. He loves to play and be played with! I respect that in him!

The cat or dog would have to love the indoors and large patio area ONLY!

Can you believe how quickly time is flying!!! :cool:

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Dianne, I remember waiting for our pup to arrive, and it seemed like it would never happen - but it did and it seems like she's been here forever!

And you never know, you might be lucky like our CarribeanChris who got Raylene before she thought she would! :D

As Roz says we will wait with you. :)

So today Aruba goes for her sleepover. I've got her sleeping crate, blankets, cushion, toys, food (weighed out and bagged for each meal), treats, spare lead, indoor collar (!), food bowl, the mat she sits on to eat her food - I hope that's everything! And a towel for drying her off after her walk (it's raining here and miserable).

All for an evening at the theatre! LOL!

Such a good mommy! ;)

Hello Raylene & Chris. Love the picture. Raylene is so focused on you, what a good girl! She looks so much like Horton. Not so much Brenda [who was a true English Lab, with the square head!]

Thanks for sharing the great picture with us.