Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Have you guys seen the buzz about the December 3, 2015, Pacific Princess, 50th Anniversary cruise? It's all booked up and TA's and Princess have started a "waitlist." Unbelievable! I booked it a day after it came out over the internet. I'm so glad I did. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun. And, that's what Horty and me need "fun!"

They're going to be inviting the original cast of the Love Boat series onboard and some of the stars who used to appear a lot. There will be giveaways and a special menu!

I wish I could go with you but alas it was not to be. Looks like you and Horton will be having a wonderful time! :D

I wish I could go with you but alas it was not to be. Looks like you and Horton will be having a wonderful time! :D

Marcia, seriously? I'm cruising on September 20th, April 6th and December 3rd. I'd love to cruise with you again. I know you prefer HAL but out of L.A. onboard Princess, not bad eh?

Have you guys seen the buzz about the December 3, 2015, Pacific Princess, 50th Anniversary cruise? It's all booked up and TA's and Princess have started a "waitlist." Unbelievable! I booked it a day after it came out over the internet. I'm so glad I did. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun. And, that's what Horty and me need "fun!"

They're going to be inviting the original cast of the Love Boat series onboard and some of the stars who used to appear a lot. There will be giveaways and a special menu!

What fun!! I watched every episode and would really enjoy cruising with the cast. You and Horton are in for big time FUN, girl!

What the heck are you feeding her? She's so gorgeous and so big! You're doing such a great job.

While out shopping yesterday a couple stopped me in the store to tell me that they had just turned-in their puppy for "formal training" with Guide Dogs for The Blind. The woman hugged Horton and started to cry. It was so sweet. She said she misses her "baby" so much but she's so excited because she knew that she would pass all her tests and be a wonderful guide for someone who would have a better life. She said she can't wait to go to graduation and pass the leash on to someone else. She also can't wait to do it again? Amazing, how the process works.

I told them all about you and Aruba [were your ears ringing?]

I love this picture of Aruba with her ears forward, standing so tall.

Roz, that will be me in a few months time - crying my eyes out! But I just looked at the Guide Dogs for the Blind USA site and there is a lovely open letter there from a guide dog owner to all puppy raisers - that made me cry too but that's what this is all about. Giving someone a "life changer" - Aruba will be such a special life changer - oh hang on mrs Fairbourne, they are ALL special! :D

This is Aruba with her "oh help I'm about to get in trouble" long retriever face with wrinkly eyebrows on! Can you see the retriever long face? This caught it face on, so to speak! She had jumped up on a chair as the window cleaners had arrived and she had no idea what this man was doing to her windows with this noisy brush thingy and this is where I usually sit, so I forgave her as she looked worried - this time! :rolleyes:;)

When I had my letter from her temporary puppy walker she mentioned that Aruba did perfect the "ooh what's happening" little worried retriever face when she was in trouble - with her lab face on, she could care less!!! LOL! Nothing has changed!

(Pussycat doing very well, putting on weight, still fed 4 times a day with syringes, but starting to eat small amounts on her own. She's been so good.)

image.jpg.96f3d769521504dc56a632642efbec4f.jpg

What fun!! I watched every episode and would really enjoy cruising with the cast. You and Horton are in for big time FUN, girl!

Aren't they just! :D

Btw I loved reading your travel adventures and sounds like Raylene took it all in her stride ..... Photos please ..... :D.

Roz, that will be me in a few months time - crying my eyes out! But I just looked at the Guide Dogs for the Blind USA site and there is a lovely open letter there from a guide dog owner to all puppy raisers - that made me cry too but that's what this is all about. Giving someone a "life changer" - Aruba will be such a special life changer - oh hang on mrs Fairbourne, they are ALL special! :D

This is Aruba with her "oh help I'm about to get in trouble" long retriever face with wrinkly eyebrows on! Can you see the retriever long face? This caught it face on, so to speak! She had jumped up on a chair as the window cleaners had arrived and she had no idea what this man was doing to her windows with this noisy brush thingy and this is where I usually sit, so I forgave her as she looked worried - this time! :rolleyes:;)

When I had my letter from her temporary puppy walker she mentioned that Aruba did perfect the "ooh what's happening" little worried retriever face when she was in trouble - with her lab face on, she could care less!!! LOL! Nothing has changed!

(Pussycat doing very well, putting on weight, still fed 4 times a day with syringes, but starting to eat small amounts on her own. She's been so good.)

I'm so glad that you have such a good attitude.....hang on to it.

The window cleaners story is so cute. Do you have a camera hanging around your neck all the time? You're going to have such a great album to give Aruba's forever mom or dad.

I totally see the Retriever in your girl. Horton has that very same look. Isn't it amazing how black they are without any other color in them?

That is such great news about Pussycat. She really scared us!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz, I hope I can hang on to it! But I know I can come on here and get some cyber hugs when the time comes! :)

Aruba is so black and has a pale blue tinge to her skin and in the whites of her eyes - you notice it most in her ears. Poppy doesn't have this. Maybe she will grow out of it. She's teething at the moment and twice in the the last couple of days I have just caught her spitting out the baby teeth - I've never seen this before, guess Poppy and Max just ate theirs!!! LOL! So I've kept them for the doggy tooth fairy - she might just bring a treat at the weekend!

Roz, I have my mini-iPad handy most of the time - and it takes some pretty decent photos. All of the ones I've posted on here have been taken on it or the DH's iPhone. What did we do before we had all this technology - wait for the film to be finished and then wait days for it to be processed, hoping you would have one decent shot! Ha ha, now I've really given my age away!

Well I will tell you now, we cancelled our holiday for next month as I was so worried about the pussycat and having done all this feeding, I did not want to stress her out further by going into the cattery, even though I know the lady there would feed her and be her "second mum". But I would have worried all the time we were away. Thankfully nothing that couldn't be cancelled and re-booked. So we will have a staycation and enjoy the extra time with Aruba. :D

Roz, I hope I can hang on to it! But I know I can come on here and get some cyber hugs when the time comes! :)

Aruba is so black and has a pale blue tinge to her skin and in the whites of her eyes - you notice it most in her ears. Poppy doesn't have this. Maybe she will grow out of it. She's teething at the moment and twice in the the last couple of days I have just caught her spitting out the baby teeth - I've never seen this before, guess Poppy and Max just ate theirs!!! LOL! So I've kept them for the doggy tooth fairy - she might just bring a treat at the weekend!

Roz, I have my mini-iPad handy most of the time - and it takes some pretty decent photos. All of the ones I've posted on here have been taken on it or the DH's iPhone. What did we do before we had all this technology - wait for the film to be finished and then wait days for it to be processed, hoping you would have one decent shot! Ha ha, now I've really given my age away!

Well I will tell you now, we cancelled our holiday for next month as I was so worried about the pussycat and having done all this feeding, I did not want to stress her out further by going into the cattery, even though I know the lady there would feed her and be her "second mum". But I would have worried all the time we were away. Thankfully nothing that couldn't be cancelled and re-booked. So we will have a staycation and enjoy the extra time with Aruba. :D

I know that some folks do put their Service Dogs in "Doggie-Day-Care" when they go on vacation, it's not something I've ever done. Since I graduated with Brenda in 2002 and brought her home and then Mr. Horton at the end of 2011, it seems I've ALWAYS had a Service Dog around. I wouldn't know how to live without one. Working or retired these dogs are such great company.

I know exactly how you feel about caring for your babies yourself! If something happened to her when you were away you'd never forgive yourself.

Here's a question maybe someone can answer. Will an airline allow 2 service dogs on the same plane at the same time? My family and I are planning another Alaska cruise in 2016. We have a friend that may be joining us. She is in a wheelchair and has a CCI service dog. We will all be on the same flights to and from Vancouver.

There is no limit to the number of service dogs that can be on a flight, only a limit (per airline policies, not laws) to the number of pets onboard (usually per cabin type, i.e. X number in First Class, X number in Coach).

I have been on a flight with my service dog where there were two other service dogs in the same row (bulkhead) we were in.

I hope your girl is doing well.

She is doing very well, thanks! :D She has her first post-treatment check-up with the oncologist soon, then they will happen about once a month.

In one month, I will be meeting the puppy who will be my next service dog in a couple years! There are two girls to choose from (I don't want a boy). Exciting!!

Edited by Quampapetet

She is doing very well, thanks! :D She has her first post-treatment check-up with the oncologist soon, then they will happen about once a month.

In one month, I will be meeting the puppy who will be my next service dog in a couple years! There are two girls to choose from (I don't want a boy). Exciting!!

Quam, you will meet the puppy before it goes to formal training? Wow! That is so different than CCI. We can't meet our dogs until they've been formally trained and then we spend two weeks at CCI, working with various dogs and then are matched with the dog that the trainers feel works best with us. At the end of the two weeks we graduate and get to meet the Puppy Raisers. It's a very emotional and heartwarming ceremony.

The two weeks are the most grueling two weeks I've ever spent in my life. But, as you know, so worth it.

Good luck with meeting the puppy. Will you be keeping your retired Service Dog?

On a normal flight, 2 animals are allowed in each cabin that are NOT service dogs. Service dogs are exempt from that , in that they are not part of the count. Please when booking your flight on line ( to save money), you must then call the airline back, ask for special services, and let them know there are two service dogs traveling with you. Is one for each person?

I have never heard of 2 dogs for one person, but never say never.

My service dog logged 61,000 miles last year and was an angel. It is very obvious the personality and disposition of a service dog, versus a pet, so please for those of you thinking of taking them on board as impostures, you need to provide paperwork on them, service dog cards or other id, vests, etc. and if it is for philological reasons, you must have a letter from the psychologist.:)

A guide dog called Tess is missing in Scotland ...... I hope and pray she's found ..... and soon. The partially sighted owner is devastated as you can imagine. I only found about this the other day - I can't imagine the agony. It seems like everyone is looking for her, but no news yet.

http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/media/5399612/a4missing-guidedogposter.pdf

Edited by fairbourne

On a normal flight, 2 animals are allowed in each cabin that are NOT service dogs. Service dogs are exempt from that , in that they are not part of the count. Please when booking your flight on line ( to save money), you must then call the airline back, ask for special services, and let them know there are two service dogs traveling with you. Is one for each person?

I have never heard of 2 dogs for one person, but never say never.

My service dog logged 61,000 miles last year and was an angel. It is very obvious the personality and disposition of a service dog, versus a pet, so please for those of you thinking of taking them on board as impostures, you need to provide paperwork on them, service dog cards or other id, vests, etc. and if it is for philological reasons, you must have a letter from the psychologist.:)

61,000 miles WOW!!!!

A guide dog called Tess is missing in Scotland ...... I hope and pray she's found ..... and soon. The partially sighted owner is devastated as you can imagine. I only found about this the other day - I can't imagine the agony. It seems like everyone is looking for her, but no news yet.

http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/media/5399612/a4missing-guidedogposter.pdf

Oh! No! What a beautiful dog. I hope Tess is found and is safe! I also hope that she was micro chipped. What a sad loss for her owner. The strangest type of "dog-napping" is happening here in the states. I can't believe that someone would be so callous to steal a blind person's eyes!

Here, locally, a Black Lab was found [no name, no tags, no tattoo's.] He was wandering around the street. The person who found him said that he is obviously a Service Dog because of his demeanor; he takes direction very well and is extremely well behaved, etc.

My heart goes out to all.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

It's just awful .... She will have been microchipped and she would certainly have had her Guide Dog disc on her collar which has an ID number (this number stays with them from puppy stage and is used not just to ID them but we use it when we order their food, go to the vet etc.). We also put a separate disc with dog's name and my mobile number on it. I'm sure she would have had similar and I think the owner had also put a bell on her collar so he could hear her.

She's so beautiful and so unusual looking, I hope that's not why she "went missing"! She would be no good to anyone for breeding.

Makes me scared to let Aruba run free - we've done one session with the puppy walker supervisor in a local park and she stayed close, but you just don't know what could grab their attention and they could run off. But a six year old well-trained and "experienced" dog, seems unlikely.

I'll keep an eye out for any news and let you know, hoping that this will have a positive, happy outcome and dog and owner will be reunited.

It's just awful .... She will have been microchipped and she would certainly have had her Guide Dog disc on her collar which has an ID number (this number stays with them from puppy stage and is used not just to ID them but we use it when we order their food, go to the vet etc.). We also put a separate disc with dog's name and my mobile number on it. I'm sure she would have had similar and I think the owner had also put a bell on her collar so he could hear her.

She's so beautiful and so unusual looking, I hope that's not why she "went missing"! She would be no good to anyone for breeding.

Makes me scared to let Aruba run free - we've done one session with the puppy walker supervisor in a local park and she stayed close, but you just don't know what could grab their attention and they could run off. But a six year old well-trained and "experienced" dog, seems unlikely.

I'll keep an eye out for any news and let you know, hoping that this will have a positive, happy outcome and dog and owner will be reunited.

Our wonderful Service Dogs live a "catch-22" life. They're trained to be in all situations socially. But, they are NOT trained to be defensive or to discriminate in who they take directions from. If someone comes up to them [any stranger] and uses any kind of "correction" or "demand", they will follow. This makes them very vulnerable to the public. It's our job to protect and care for them. Not allowing others to take control of them. Our dogs are extremely valuable in that they know more than 30, some much more, commands and tasks.

It's such a heartbreaker that there are people in our world who would steal these working partners from their handlers without any regard for the lives that they're affecting. :(

Please keep us up-to-date on any news about the finding of Tess.

I so happy to hear that you could bring the dog on the maid of the mist. Our friends just went to Niagara Falls. I have not been there is a long, long time and would like to take our kids some day. I was wondering if the dog could go on it. Did you do the cave of the winds as well?

We were in Williamsburg in May for my daughter's class trip. Ollie did great although he was not crazy about the cannon fire from the troop reinactment her class participated in. I guess because it was dark and he couldn't tell where the sound was coming from. Fireworks have not been an issue for him.

We decided not to take Raylene to the cave of the winds, so my husband and I took turns dog sitting on a shady bench. I was worried about the numerous, very wet and possibly slippery steps!

My biggest problem in Williamsburg turned out to be distractions from the smells and presence of all the other town dogs as well as carriage horses on the historic streets. We're still learning about not pulling while working!

Gettysburg's visitor center gets a A+ from me, as I might have mentioned. Very helpful staffers and great facilities for people with special needs. A woman working there said they get a group of puppy raisers and their dogs every year, visiting for training. All of the staff were so nice!

We decided not to take Raylene to the cave of the winds, so my husband and I took turns dog sitting on a shady bench. I was worried about the numerous, very wet and possibly slippery steps!

My biggest problem in Williamsburg turned out to be distractions from the smells and presence of all the other town dogs as well as carriage horses on the historic streets. We're still learning about not pulling while working!

Gettysburg's visitor center gets a A+ from me, as I might have mentioned. Very helpful staffers and great facilities for people with special needs. A woman working there said they get a group of puppy raisers and their dogs every year, visiting for training. All of the staff were so nice!

I love to hear how the safety and well-being of the dog is thought of. The slippery steps may well have been a challenge for Raylene. And the lunging or tugging is a bad habit that all our dogs try.

Someone at CCI had a great idea for helping with this. Keep a really special treat in a pocket on the side where your dog walks next to you. As you're walking along and she's walking really nicely give her a treat, keep doing this and after a while she'll focus on you and stay right beside you. Of course, this works best on a dog who is "food driven", as are most Labs.

Traveling with my service dog in Sept 2014 to San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten and Grand Turk. Travel via Carnival.

USDA did not have info on St Maarten and Grand Turk.

Any idea what's needed?

My dog has a 3 year rabies, DHPP, and Bordatella all done in March 2014.

International health certificate done in Dec 2013.

He's mircroships

Takes Trifexis once a month

Thanks

Traveling with my service dog in Sept 2014 to San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten and Grand Turk. Travel via Carnival.

Any idea what's needed?

He's mircroships

Thanks

You will need to renew your International Health Certificate. Once you've done that and you should be good.

I haven't traveled to St Maarten or Grand Turk lately, I don't know if they require more than what you have. Lots of other folks on this board have, I'm sure someone will come on and tell you what else you may need.

Make sure that Carnival knows what to fill the potty box with. Tell them what you prefer. We had a difficult time with them in the placement and the filler.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I want to remind everyone to get a collapsible water dish for your dog. Especially if your traveling during the hot summer months. CCI sells them and most pet shops do. They have a clip on them so you can conveniently clip them to your belt and they fold so you can slip them into your purse.

We were out and about and I noticed a man walking with his dog who was panting very vigorously, stopped and laid down on the grass. I pulled my car over to the curb and offered his dog some water. Unbelievable, the dog lapped-up the water like he hadn't drank in months. I happen to have a spare collapsible water dish in the back of my car and offered it to the man. He was grateful for my stopping and for the dish.

Please folks, if you're taking your dog out with you in the heat PLEASE BE PREPARED. Have extra water for him. And, watch for the hot, scorching pavement.

Any idea what's needed?

He's mircroships

Thanks

I recently asked about St. Maarten myself. I was told all we would need is the health certificate, rabies certificate, and certification from the vet stating the dog was parasite free. Sounds pretty easy.

I believe you will need an update international health certificate.

Happy travels!