Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I see absolutely no reason why whoever is taking the through couldn't go through first, still holding the leash (they are long leashes, right?) having the pupper sit until you call them through. Any thing can happen that might make the dog take off. I just would not be comfortable letting go of the leash and leaving them sit on the "other" side. Mind you I haven't been in an airport or through a scanner for about 4 years. But as I recall, the scanner was not that big or long. It seems like the next passenger was close to my patootie! Just my -2 cents.

Nancy, I think TSA is trying to get you to go through without setting anything off......if I were to hold the leash [through the scanner], the bells would be going off. I get it. I agree with you that it's a very precarious position to put our dogs in. What if someone or something spooked the dog? The way Horton was staring at me......he was so focused, while I was so scared that he might bolt. He was so good!!!!

There is a leash that doesn't have metal on it, made specifically for these scanners [so as to not set them off], I'm going to look into getting one.

The TSA at the docks allows me to walk through the scanner with Horton attached and then pats me down, after the scanner always goes off! On one cruise an agent said, "put both your hands at your side, close to your body" and the scanner didn't beep at all. And, I didn't have to be pat down. I have to remember to try that again! :rolleyes:

We all take turns. This way it doesn't put too big a burden on any one person. Besides, then they get all the fun. :D:eek::D

Eating a hardboiled egg and DKD's comments do not mix! I swear I spat that dang egg all over my computer, my blouse, my keyboard......what a mess! You have the quickest mind! You are so funny! Love this man......:p

I also really hate when they make you put your purse or carry-on luggage on the carrier, then the carrier starts moving with your stuff on it and you can't move because people in front of you. Not that I have anything of great importance in my purse, but really don't want someone snagging it. I guess my ID would be a big deal! Especially if I was on vacation. I hear there are teams that specifically line up so that one or two people are between them. Then the person in front does exactly that, holding up the line and the stuff starts coming thru the carrier and then they get their choice of stuff that isn't theirs. I imagine by the time the person it belongs to gets through they could be in the next terminal. People can be such Jack Wagons. :eek:

I also really hate when they make you put your purse or carry-on luggage on the carrier, then the carrier starts moving with your stuff on it and you can't move because people in front of you. Not that I have anything of great importance in my purse, but really don't want someone snagging it. I guess my ID would be a big deal! Especially if I was on vacation. I hear there are teams that specifically line up so that one or two people are between them. Then the person in front does exactly that, holding up the line and the stuff starts coming thru the carrier and then they get their choice of stuff that isn't theirs. I imagine by the time the person it belongs to gets through they could be in the next terminal. People can be such Jack Wagons. :eek:

I totally forgot about that scam. I heard about it from a news report on T.V. Great! Something else to be concerned about!

My purse is so dang heavy. The person who tries to steal it will be very recognizable, he'll be the one with the hernia, limping down the runway!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi everyone. We finally got our service dog for our youngest son. She is a Golden Retriever trained in seizure-alert and mobility assistance for our 4 year old. And since we have a window right now when he is doing well (he spent 3 months in the hospital last fall) we decided to do a last minute Disney cruise in August that we just booked today!!!

So, we have only had our dog for about a month and haven't cruised with a dog before (although we have cruised Disney). Biggest question is potty box. What will they put in it on Disney? Grass or mulch? She was actually trained with mulch at part of her training in a prison so she is fine with it (as I found out when she went in the kids playground) but want to be prepared just in case.

Next question is kids club - anyone know if they will allow us to accompany our son with the dog in the kids club (otherwise he can't go). Finally, paperwork on Disney and for Nassau - what do we need to do and bring? We will be contacting guest services but have found in the past things are sort of all over. We were given instructions regarding special check in and lifeboat drills for example by special needs prior to our last Carnival cruise but no one seemed to know anything about it when we arrived at port and got on board so want to eliminate that hassle since we have added a service dog to the mix!!!

I don't know if we mentioned on this thread where to purchase the collars and leashes specifically for going through the scanners at the airport/cruise terminals, etc.

If you guys have that information would you mind passing it along. I think it would be a good investment for me & Horton on all our future cruise and air travels.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi everyone. We finally got our service dog for our youngest son. She is a Golden Retriever trained in seizure-alert and mobility assistance for our 4 year old. And since we have a window right now when he is doing well (he spent 3 months in the hospital last fall) we decided to do a last minute Disney cruise in August that we just booked today!!!

So, we have only had our dog for about a month and haven't cruised with a dog before (although we have cruised Disney). Biggest question is potty box. What will they put in it on Disney? Grass or mulch? She was actually trained with mulch at part of her training in a prison so she is fine with it (as I found out when she went in the kids playground) but want to be prepared just in case.

Next question is kids club - anyone know if they will allow us to accompany our son with the dog in the kids club (otherwise he can't go). Finally, paperwork on Disney and for Nassau - what do we need to do and bring? We will be contacting guest services but have found in the past things are sort of all over. We were given instructions regarding special check in and lifeboat drills for example by special needs prior to our last Carnival cruise but no one seemed to know anything about it when we arrived at port and got on board so want to eliminate that hassle since we have added a service dog to the mix!!!

Congratulations and welcome to our family. DKD is our Disney expert and I know he will have the information and all your good questions answered very shortly.

Your dog can go into any area that your child can go into, that includes the Kids Club. They will probably request that you don't leave the dog alone with your son but I'm sure you wouldn't anyway.

How wonderful that your son and you will have the assistance of a Service Dog. What a miracle.

I'm sure DKD will see your post and will help you soon. Again, congratulations and good luck. You will make new friends everywhere you go. Give yourselves lots of time to go to anything onboard the cruise, because you'll be stopped constantly and asked a kagillion questions. People are amazed by our Service Dogs and I totally get how awe-struck they are when they see one!

Welcome!!! I'm sure our resident "Disney Kids Dad" can answer all your questions. He's a Disney expert! :D

First, congrats on the service dog! We have cruised three times with our daughter and her service dog on Disney. Disney uses grass in the potty boxes. We have always had a balcony and have requested it be put out there. If you don't have a balcony then you need to get on the phone with the special needs department and find out where they plan to put it. As far as the Bahamas goes, here is a link to most of the information you will need. There is an import form you will need to fill out and fax to them to get the permit. You better do that QUICK. They do things very slowly in the Bahamas. As I recall it took me quite a while to finally get it. I think I even had to call them.

http://myabaco.net/bring-your-pets-to-the-bahamas-pet-import-requirements

There is a link in red part way down the page on the above site that takes you to the permit page. There is no fee for service dogs. Just make sure you write service dog on the form before you fax it over. But do this quick!! I can't tell you anything about the kids clubs. By the time my daughter got her service dog, she was too old for the clubs. Once again, get on the phone with Disney Cruise Special Needs Department, not Guest Services. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. The below link is for the permit itself. I hope it works.

http://www.bahamas.com/sites/default/files/Bahamas_Application_to_Import_Domestic_Animals_in_TIOTB.pdf

Congratulations and welcome to our family. DKD is our Disney expert and I know he will have the information and all your good questions answered very shortly.

Welcome!!! I'm sure our resident "Disney Kids Dad" can answer all your questions. He's a Disney expert!

Thanks guys!! Nothing like putting a guy on the spot. :eek:

Thanks. Did talk to special services today and got the potty box info and forms.

However, they told me that adults are only allowed in the kids club during open houses and there was no exception. So that means that Jake can't go into the club except during open house time? Doesn't seem right to me. I know when we sailed Carnival last year, we explained Jake's situation and they allowed us to send an adult with him at all times so he could be in the club even though their policy was no adults in kids club.

Thanks. Did talk to special services today and got the potty box info and forms.

However, they told me that adults are only allowed in the kids club during open houses and there was no exception. So that means that Jake can't go into the club except during open house time? Doesn't seem right to me. I know when we sailed Carnival last year, we explained Jake's situation and they allowed us to send an adult with him at all times so he could be in the club even though their policy was no adults in kids club.

You WILL be allowed to accompany Jake because of his special circumstances. They use the term "no exceptions" for children who don't have special needs like Jake, with a Service Dog, and may have family who will disrupt the area. Speak with the Hotel Manager and [although we don't want to have confrontations on vacation] make sure that he/she has contacted the Kids Club folks and informed them of yours and Jake's dog's presence, with Jake, in ALL areas of the ship where he is permitted to go!!!! This also means that Jake will ALWAYS be accompanied by an adult, as well!

Sometimes we have to use our "firm" but "friendly" voice when dealing with staff, who are not familiar with children with special needs and Service Dogs, onboard our cruises!

Welcome!!! I'm sure our resident "Disney Kids Dad" can answer all your questions. He's a Disney expert!

Thanks guys!! Nothing like putting a guy on the spot. :eek:

You, sir, are SPOTLESS......I knew you'd be able to help Jake's parents. When it comes to Disney and our dogs, you're our "go-to" guy! ;)

Hi there, can you all help me with a pharmacy? Roxie's vet no longer carries her arthritis medication. She's doing well on it and her antihistamine, so I didn't want to changes meds.

He wrote me a prescription and told me I can get this online. I found a few: 1-800-PetMeds, Drs. Foster and Smith, Pet360, EntirelyPets. Price is comparable.

Have you used an online pharmacy? Which do you recommend? Thanks in advance! :)

Dobiemom:I know I have seen the name Entirely Pets. Can't remember if it was here or else where. But someone shopped with them and mentioned them. I know, I know, I am not a lot of help, but I did try to find it on here. Maybe the Pet rescue Hundenruhe Haven is the one that uses them. Anyway, thought I would mention my worthless -2 cents. BOL :)

Hi there, can you all help me with a pharmacy? Roxie's vet no longer carries her arthritis medication. She's doing well on it and her antihistamine, so I didn't want to changes meds.

He wrote me a prescription and told me I can get this online. I found a few: 1-800-PetMeds, Drs. Foster and Smith, Pet360, EntirelyPets. Price is comparable.

Have you used an online pharmacy? Which do you recommend? Thanks in advance! :)

Marcia, I've used Fosters and Smith, Entirely Pets and PetMeds. I found 1-800 PetMeds to be pricey. Entirely Pets has the best delivery and are equal to Fosters and Smith in price. I hope this helps.

Dobiemom:I know I have seen the name Entirely Pets. Can't remember if it was here or else where. But someone shopped with them and mentioned them. I know, I know, I am not a lot of help, but I did try to find it on here. Maybe the Pet rescue Hundenruhe Haven is the one that uses them. Anyway, thought I would mention my worthless -2 cents. BOL :)

Marcia, I've used Fosters and Smith, Entirely Pets and PetMeds. I found 1-800 PetMeds to be pricey. Entirely Pets has the best delivery and are equal to Fosters and Smith in price. I hope this helps.

Thank you both. I'll try Entirely Pets first. :)

Horton gets Virbac CET Oral Hygiene chews daily. They're the most amazing and safe dental chews. I heard about them from CCI when I was graduating with Brenda in 2002. It cleans the tartar off their teeth and keeps their breath clean. They're expensive everywhere else but at Entirely Pets I've found them for more than half the price. I buy more than $85 worth and get free shipping. If I order them in the morning, I get delivery the next day.

I bring a bag of the Extra Large Chews [30 per bag] to work and cut them on our electric paper cutter. I cut them into thirds or fourths and instead of giving him a big chew I give him several smaller ones throughout the day. It keeps him busy and he looks forward to the treat, it helps to break-up what can be a boring day at the office for him!

Roz: Can't Horty file for you, or something? Oh, yay, that's right, he doesn't have thumbs, might be hard to hold the papers. Hummm, maybe he could push the mail cart around the office delivering and picking up mail. No, again, you wouldn't see him all day and I am sure the mail wouldn't get delivered in a timely manner, because everyone will want to chat with him. He is such a handsome boy! :D

Hello everyone. Hope everyone is well including all our four legged pals. Trudy how is Rose settling in? I've been thinking about you all but haven't had much time to post as I will explain.

Aruba is doing grand ... Growing an inch a night It seems and those long legs, just call me Betty Grable! She is now 20 weeks old and a guesstimate 15 kilos! She thankfully jumps out of the car now, and helps me get her in by putting her front paws up on the back bumper of my car.

I've not been in touch as we have a very poorly pussy cat who suddenly developed hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver). Thankfully tests have shown there is no pancreatitis, no tumour, blood clotting is normal (this would show lack of vitamin K) - she just would not eat, hence the rapid weight loss and jaundice.

So for the last week, I have been "force feeding" her. I hate that word "force", so I am calling it "comfort feeding"! From 6am till bedtime around 10pm, I am feeding her with special a/d food with a syringe roughly every two hours. She has not complained at all and could I'm sure scratch and protest, but between us we've now got the feeding sessions down to a fine art and she's put on a little bit of weight - which is great! Hopefully she will start to eat on her own soon. I'm tempting her with all sorts as you can imagine, but nothing gets touched. But I'm staying positive.

I'm still getting out with Aruba, doing her command training, but have to get my timings to work it all in between feeds. Aruba is so good now with her basic commands, but the ones she responds to best of all are "Breakfast?" "Lunch?" And "Tea"!!! LOL!!! Funny that, eh!

We took her to a large Marks and Spencer store and she was so good, ignoring the food and standing well when I stopped to look at things. Took us ages as everyone wanted to say "hello" and we had a queue at one point waiting to "speak" to her! It's so funny, I just love it and people are so nice - it makes my day to hear them praise her and I hope it makes those people's day when she gives them one of those lovely doggy looks that make people smile! :D. She's my little star, my Aruba (oh my I'm getting too attached to this puppy!)

Take care all of you.

Puppy kisses from Aruba xxx

Edited to add: loved catching up with all your news, welcome to our new people. Roz - egg is a boogar to get off of anything!!! LOL!!! Nancyfancypaws, Mr Horton could be the tea boy with his tea trolley! Mind you he would probably eat all their biscuits! haha!

Edited by fairbourne

Roz: Can't Horty file for you, or something? Oh, yay, that's right, he doesn't have thumbs, might be hard to hold the papers. Hummm, maybe he could push the mail cart around the office delivering and picking up mail. No, again, you wouldn't see him all day and I am sure the mail wouldn't get delivered in a timely manner, because everyone will want to chat with him. He is such a handsome boy! :D

Very funny! I double dog dare you not to fall in love with this handsome boy! He's pretty dang incredibly good looking! I'm crazy about this boy!