Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Mornin' all: Survived the fireworks, barely. Jezzy Lou is getting more and more scared each time. She paced around panting and shaking. Wouldn't let me hold her. Went in Trav's room for awhile, which was good, his TV,computer and fan muffled some of the noise. She slept under the bed most of the night.

It is Leann Emily's birthday, today. She is 7. She is getting to be more and more cuddly and huggy. She has also been sleeping with us. She didn't do it for the longest time because Jezzy use to growl at her. Now she ignores Jezzy and says "She was my mom first". Then she shows Jezzy that cute little paw and curls up asleep!

Fairbourne: Little Ms. Aruba knows when she needs to behave and get her work done! Sorry you got rained on. We could only hope for that here. Haven't had any sizable rain storms or like wise for years. The weather says scattered showers, as I look out the window and it is clear blue skies! The air is so thick we could cut it with a knife.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend.

Edited by S.S. Cruisers
spacing

Today we went to meet the puppy trainer for a spot of "recall" training - Aruba, not me! :p

The day started off lovely and sunny, not too warm, just a nice summer day .... but by the time I drove the few miles to meet the trainer, the heavens opened and yeah, you've guessed our training was to take place in the park! Ok girls, you can imagine, got my hair done yesterday, still looking OK today, I was not best pleased at the thought of getting soaked! I did have an anorak with me but no hood! :eek:

Anyway, any thoughts I had of trying to do something else were soon dismissed, so off we trudged, in this rain (you know the kind that's not too heavy, but it really soaks you to the skin) to the park. So from sleek blow dried locks I quickly turned into a Misty lookalike - all curls! (Sorry Misty, you have lovely doggy curls and they look great on you!:))

Aruba was soaking wet too, however, on we ventured! He wanted to see how she would be off the lead. Right, on you go then says I! Lead off, she just didn't really react, just kept walking around and between us as we kept walking - we were not obviously looking or watching her (but keeping an eye on her). She wandered off into the bushes a couple of times, thought she would take off with a man walking by, and then thought better of it, but really kept close to us most of the time, and came when she was called (most of the time!). When she comes back she has to come back and sit right in front of you, not 3 feet away, literally right in front, as a blind or visually impaired person would not know where she was if she didn't do that. Some guide dog owners put bells on the dogs collar so they can hear where they are. Luckily we didn't meet any other dogs - I'm sure she would have been fine unless we met a grumpy old west highland terrier!

He was happy with her, she walked very well, no parking of bottom on the pavement, kept moving and walked in a relatively straight line (walking in a straight line is very important for her future work).

As soon as we got back to the car, the rain stopped! Aaaargh!!! never mind! As my aunt says, if you don't do something because of the weather in Scotland, then you would never do anything! So if you come over here on a cruise, pack layers and lots of them, you just never know what the weather is going to be like!

Back home, dried off with a fluffy towel, cuddles, nap, lunch, playtime, cuddles and nap before dinner - it's a dog's life, it really is! ;):D

Have a great weekend everyone and Happy 4th of July!!!

Thanks for sharing your day with us. It figures the rain would have to come just then.......it's Murphy's Law! :rolleyes:

It sounds like Aruba is really coming along. What a good girl! I'm so proud of both of you!

Fairbourne, it's going to be so amazing to watch this journey and have your little girl be someone's "freedom!"

I love their little faces........I could scrunch them all with huge puppy hugs and kisses.

If you visit the grounds of CCI sometimes you get really lucky and watch puppies at play........Makes me smile all over!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing this Marcia.

Mornin' all: Survived the fireworks, barely. Jezzy Lou is getting more and more scared each time. She paced around panting and shaking. Wouldn't let me hold her. Went in Trav's room for awhile, which was good, his TV,computer and fan muffled some of the noise. She slept under the bed most of the night.

It is Leann Emily's birthday, today. She is 7. She is getting to be more and more cuddly and huggy. She has also been sleeping with us. She didn't do it for the longest time because Jezzy use to growl at her. Now she ignores Jezzy and says "She was my mom first". Then she shows Jezzy that cute little paw and curls up asleep!

Fairbourne: Little Ms. Aruba knows when she needs to behave and get her work done! Sorry you got rained on. We could only hope for that here. Haven't had any sizable rain storms or like wise for years. The weather says scattered showers, as I look out the window and it is clear blue skies! The air is so thick we could cut it with a knife.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend.

Awwww! Jezzy, I'm so sorry that the noise scares you. It's so darn loud.

Horton sleeps right through it! This year it's really loud and it's lasting much longer than last year.

I feel so badly for the animals that are frightened by it.

2016 will hopefully be another Alaska cruise.

That's a long wait for another cruise. I don't think I could wait that long. Once I got back in the grove of cruising.......it's part of who I am now.

I still want to do other land trips as well but I just love the sea. She's so unpredictable! ;)

As my ticker says, back to Disney World. It's been 5 years. I think

this will be visit number 15.

That does sound like fun! Although, I'm noticing these days that my step is a bit more deliberate and not quite as easy as it used to be. I don't know if I could do a walk around Disney World. :rolleyes: :o

That does sound like fun! Although, I'm noticing these days that my step is a bit more deliberate and not quite as easy as it used to be. I don't know if I could do a walk around Disney World. :rolleyes: :o

That's no excuse. All you have to do is rent a scooter. :D

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4%3B86%3Dot%3E%3B375%3D345%3D343%3DXROQDF%3E2659%3A9%3A7%3A%3A252ot1lsi

Oh! Misty! You dear little lamb! You are so cute and cuddly looking. I bet you don't leave clumps and wisps and handfuls of hair wherever you go! I can build another dog after Horton has left the room.

Nobody can hold a candle to how fast I can get a wet paper towel and wipe the kitchen floor, bathroom, living room, counters and sinks that Horton has even come near. It simply amazes me how much Labs can shed. It's a miracle they're not bald by the time they've reached old age! :eek:

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Checklist: poo sacks, plastic gloves (for me to pick up if I need to), baby wipes, floor wipes, kitchen roll, anti-bacterial wipes, toys, blanket, lunch (for pup), water, bowl, treats (extra kibble) and anti-bac hand stuff for me! Anyway, the bag sits packed all the time, but these days forget the handbag for me! lol! It's a bag with all of miss Tink's stuff in it! Hopefully I won't need most of it!

That's about what we carry in a small backpack with the young pups.

When they are old enough to start going out but not exactly potty trained.

Since we will be traveling on a cruise with our SD for the first time in May, I love this list. It's perfect for a packing list for travel. We just added a few more things and just like that we are ready. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Now more questions - Nakota loves to sleep in her crate. How do we take that? It is a Midwest metal folding crate. Is there something better to use? Does it count as luggage on the airline? She is a Siberian Husky/Norwegian Elk Hound mix and weighs about 55 pounds. Julia is so excited about her SD going with us, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and the cruise is ten months away.:rolleyes: How does Carnival do with service dogs? Any thing I need to plan for or tricks to know about? Of course we will be advising the special needs department about our SD.

Edited by COTINGEY

Since we will be traveling on a cruise with our SD for the first time in May, I love this list. It's perfect for a packing list for travel. We just added a few more things and just like that we are ready. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Now more questions - Nakota loves to sleep in her crate. How do we take that? It is a Midwest metal folding crate. Is there something better to use? Does it count as luggage on the airline? She is a Siberian Husky/Norwegian Elk Hound mix and weighs about 55 pounds. Julia is so excited about her SD going with us, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and the cruise is ten months away.:rolleyes:

That "overwhelmed" feeling is so spot on! The more you do it [like anything in life] the easier it gets.

May I suggest that you start introducing Nakota to an easier sleeping arrangement right now. You have lots of time to do it and she'll get used to it in plenty of time before the cruise. My dogs love their crates/kennel to sleep in [especially Horton] but I get him used to sleeping differently when we're traveling. It's much easier on all of us.

I try to book a cabin that has a sofa in it. I place the pool towel [which is provided by Princess] and is located in the closet. I believe most cruise lines provide passengers with pool towels, in your cabin. I lay the towel on the couch and ask Horton to "jump" he lights on the couch and "wahlah" it's nap time.

You can ask your Steward for an extra blanket and use that if you prefer.

I bring a few of Horton's favorite stuffies and place those on his bed. He finds comfort in something from home.

Horton is prone to ear infections so I always bring extra ear medicine, Benadryl, cotton balls, his tooth brush/tooth paste, brush and lots of Virbac Chews for special treats.

He eats dry kibble and salmon oil so I pack baggies filled with each individual meal time serving along with his aluminum bowels. I carry his separate from the luggage [in case something happens to the luggage, he'll have what he needs to dine on!]

Horton will be on his 5th cruise in September and I'm so glad that he's adapted so well to the flow of cruise travel. You're going to love it!

Welcome, to our little family!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4%3B86%3Dot%3E%3B375%3D345%3D343%3DXROQDF%3E2659%3A9%3A7%3A%3A252ot1lsi

Oh my Misty girl .... You are just adorable! I was right, my hair had curls just like yours when I got soaked the other day, but yours are so much more beautiful .... I was kind of like a drowned rat!!! Colleen - I just adore her, your sweet girl :D

Hope Oz is still enjoying his retirement! :)

Aunty Roz - can you imagine what it's like having 3 labs worth of tumbleweed??? Honest to goodness I could stuff a cushion every day with the amount I sweep up!

Oh my Misty girl .... You are just adorable! I was right, my hair had curls just like yours when I got soaked the other day, but yours are so much more beautiful .... I was kind of like a drowned rat!!! Colleen - I just adore her, your sweet girl :D

Aunty Roz - can you imagine what it's like having 3 labs worth of tumbleweed??? Honest to goodness I could stuff a cushion every day with the amount I sweep up!

When Brenny was with us and she and Horton would play and then walk away.....I couldn't believe the fur balls they left in their wake!!!! :eek:

You know I love you but you don't have to invite me to dinner. ;) I've stopped inviting folks over for dinner since I got Brenny. It's easier to eat out and let the restaurant suffer the consequences of my fur laden friends!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

i

Darling Oz is having a grand retirement....but, he is having some mental confusion re potty.......the vet has him on ****** to hopefully clear the mental confusion.

As my ticker says, back to Disney World. It's been 5 years. I think

this will be visit number 15.

Duh! Didn't notice the ticker. :) I've only been to WDW/Epcot Center once. Really LOVED Epcot Center. WDW was OK. Different than Disneyland. But I'd love to go back to both again. Maybe someday pre- or post- cruise. ;)

OMD, I think Misty keeps getting cuter and cuter! :) I am so sorry for poor little Oz's medical problems. :( I don't want to upset up, but I truly believe things happen for a reason. Maybe He, knew it was time for sweet little Oz to retire, even if the rest of us didn't.

As for naughty big sister RozBigHair Pants, and Mr. DKD Encourage Pants, :eek:, what to do with the two of you? Scooter for two, indeed!