Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Fairbourne, I love the puppy reports too! With all the training and learning and correcting that you're doing now and will be doing I thought for sure you were going to end with, "maybe you took on more than you can handle!" But, you're loving it and that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'm so happy that you're loving doing what you're doing with Aruba. It's such hard work. And, you're learning so much.....soon you'll be a dog trainer. Certainly, all of what you're learning and passing on to Aruba will hold stead in your head, for her and for any future pups you work with.

Isn't it amazing how dog brains work. I learned so much from the CCI trainers. The best part is it really works!

Please keep telling us your wonderful stories, I love hearing them. :)

I had to share this with all of you.

Today was Horton's day at the groomers. It's a wonderful place with a "doggie day care" as part of the business. When I went to pick him up, the groomer had a video to show me. It was Horton leading all the other dogs in a doggie parade. Horton loves other dogs, as opposed to Brenda who didn't like to interact with dogs at all. She loved people, not so much dogs.

Following behind Horton was a little brown/black and white Shi Tzu. It was so cute to see and soon became heart wrenching as the groomer told me the little dog's story. He's the product of in-breeding and is totally blind. Horton adopted him and wouldn't let any of the other dogs get in front of him. He made sure the little guy stayed right behind him. It was so precious to see and the little dog just loved Horty.

I'm seriously thinking of allowing Horton to have a day a week to just go and play with the other dogs. It's a great environment, he really loved it and they adore him.

Horton's a great guy, I'm really proud of him and the way that he supported the little underdog.

Oh my Horty - we are so proud of you - that's such a lovely story about your new little pal, he must have truly loved having you to play with. I do hope your mum can make it happen that you can play with him again. I can just see you watching your new pal and saying to him "you're OK little fellow, you stick with me" :D

Seems these big goofy boys just love being the "dad" to everyone - reminds me of our Max, he has been a godsend with Aruba - takes it all on the chin, and head quite literally! Max has now lost 5 kilos, so he's done so well, despite having some extra treats right now for putting up with puppy nonsense!

Roz, I wish we could see that video, I can imagine it though, lovely story this morning for me having my breakfast!

image.jpg.571194fca05c8fea2b775fccdd39e1d6.jpg

Oh my Horty - we are so proud of you - that's such a lovely story about your new little pal, he must have truly loved having you to play with. I do hope your mum can make it happen that you can play with him again. I can just see you watching your new pal and saying to him "you're OK little fellow, you stick with me" :D

Seems these big goofy boys just love being the "dad" to everyone - reminds me of our Max, he has been a godsend with Aruba - takes it all on the chin, and head quite literally! Max has now lost 5 kilos, so he's done so well, despite having some extra treats right now for putting up with puppy nonsense!

Roz, I wish we could see that video, I can imagine it though, lovely story this morning for me having my breakfast!

Congrats to Max.....I know how hard it is to lose weight, I'm proud of you big boy!

Horty's little friends name is "Stevie Wonder" ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Congrats to Max.....I know how hard it is to lose weight, I'm proud of you big boy!

Horty's little friends name is "Stevie Wonder" ♥

"Don't you worry, you are the sunshine of my life, I just called to say I love you!"

LOL! :D:D:D. Now I going to have "I just called to say I love you" going round and round in my head tonight!

Don't know if you get BBC programmes in the US? One of their children's programme's today - Blue Peter - a programme that has been around as long as I have, have adopted a guide dog puppy and will be following her development. The puppy is a yellow lab, 8'weeks old and is called Iggy. I think she will be with regular puppy walkers but they will be featuring her first year on this BBC children's programme which I think is a brilliant PR coup for the Guide Dogs for The Blind. I'll see if I can find a link. They also had two young visually impaired people on there, one with a fully trained guide dog and the other, younger person, with a "buddy dog". A buddy dog is a dog who didn't quite make it as a guide dog for the blind, had a career change and is a support dog for a younger person to help then have the confidence to go to school for example, but also you have to be a certain age to have a guide dog, so I think younger blind or visually impaired people are offered a buddy dog until they are of age to have a guide dog.

I just know I'm going to be upset when Aruba goes, but when I heard these young people both speak of how much their dogs mean to them ...... I did have a little tear in my eye - oh ok lots of tears in my eyes!! DKD, you will know exactly how it's going to be .... I just looked at little Aruba, snoring and twitching in her hoosie, using Piggy's belly as a pillow and I can't quite believe that this little tink is hopefully going to mean as much to her future guide dog owner as those dogs did to their young people today.

I truly am so glad I'm doing this .... Thank you all for your support, it means a lot. :)

I found this somewhere:

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them and every new dog that comes into my life gifts me a piece of their heart. If I live long enough all of the components of my heart will be dog and I will become as generous and loving as they are." Anonymous.

"Don't you worry, you are the sunshine of my life, I just called to say I love you!"

LOL! :D:D:D. Now I going to have "I just called to say I love you" going round and round in my head tonight!

Don't know if you get BBC programmes in the US? One of their children's programme's today - Blue Peter - a programme that has been around as long as I have, have adopted a guide dog puppy and will be following her development. The puppy is a yellow lab, 8'weeks old and is called Iggy. I think she will be with regular puppy walkers but they will be featuring her first year on this BBC children's programme which I think is a brilliant PR coup for the Guide Dogs for The Blind. I'll see if I can find a link. They also had two young visually impaired people on there, one with a fully trained guide dog and the other, younger person, with a "buddy dog". A buddy dog is a dog who didn't quite make it as a guide dog for the blind, had a career change and is a support dog for a younger person to help then have the confidence to go to school for example, but also you have to be a certain age to have a guide dog, so I think younger blind or visually impaired people are offered a buddy dog until they are of age to have a guide dog.

I just know I'm going to be upset when Aruba goes, but when I heard these young people both speak of how much their dogs mean to them ...... I did have a little tear in my eye - oh ok lots of tears in my eyes!! DKD, you will know exactly how it's going to be .... I just looked at little Aruba, snoring and twitching in her hoosie, using Piggy's belly as a pillow and I can't quite believe that this little tink is hopefully going to mean as much to her future guide dog owner as those dogs did to their young people today.

I truly am so glad I'm doing this .... Thank you all for your support, it means a lot. :)

I found this somewhere:

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them and every new dog that comes into my life gifts me a piece of their heart. If I live long enough all of the components of my heart will be dog and I will become as generous and loving as they are." Anonymous.

I'm so glad you're doing it too. You're doing it for all of us......we're following every experience with you. Aruba and Davis belong to all of us. ♥

That "quote" has given me my tear for the day. How beautiful are those words and how true. I loved every word and am going to copy it and put it on my wall. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I had to share this with all of you.

Today was Horton's day at the groomers. It's a wonderful place with a "doggie day care" as part of the business. When I went to pick him up, the groomer had a video to show me. It was Horton leading all the other dogs in a doggie parade. Horton loves other dogs, as opposed to Brenda who didn't like to interact with dogs at all. She loved people, not so much dogs.

Following behind Horton was a little brown/black and white Shi Tzu. It was so cute to see and soon became heart wrenching as the groomer told me the little dog's story. He's the product of in-breeding and is totally blind. Horton adopted him and wouldn't let any of the other dogs get in front of him. He made sure the little guy stayed right behind him. It was so precious to see and the little dog just loved Horty.

I'm seriously thinking of allowing Horton to have a day a week to just go and play with the other dogs. It's a great environment, he really loved it and they adore him.

Horton's a great guy, I'm really proud of him and the way that he supported the little underdog.

What a great story - I wonder if Hoton's training has anything to do with that? Maybe he knows that the little dog needs his help.

What a great story - I wonder if Hoton's training has anything to do with that? Maybe he knows that the little dog needs his help.

When I first got Horton, I must say, I didn't think he was the "sharpest tool in the shed!" As he's maturing he's really showing some amazing signs of brilliance. It takes a lot of thought to recognize the needs of a much smaller dog and to equate his clumsiness with the inability to see and then help him keep walking with the aid of another; it just amazes me!

I think that Horton's instinctual, helpful nature is what makes him the Service Dog extraordinaire. He will wait by my chair at home, until I put my hand on his back and then he braces himself as I put more pressure on him to assist me in getting up. He was NOT trained to do this and we both started to do it by accident, I guess! He would see me getting up, he'd walk over, stand right in front of me and we're a team.

I talked to the trainer about it and he said without meaning to do it, I trained Horton to do this with all my praising and making such a big deal out of it, he loves all the fuss being made and I love the help.

I found this somewhere:

Fairborne,

I went online to find Blue Peter, don't think we have ever seen it here in the US. (It started the same year I was born, so it is quite old for a television show.) :) I loved the pictures of little Iggy and her litter-mates! Wish we could watch the progress from here. Guess we will just have to enjoy Aruba stories and photos instead. Every single one you post I send over email to my family so they can have the fun too. So please, please, please keep them coming.

Thanks!

Beckie

Can someone come over and tame my beast!

The kids all came over for a visit and Horton thinks that means, "pick up my bed and throw it at them!" What is wrong with this dog? Seriously! He eventually calms down and lays at their feet or goes to his bed [after I've rescued it] and all's good, but his greetings are over the top folks!

And, now he thinks he must make a noise at every person/bird/dog/child who walks by our front door. Sometimes it's a low growly/bark and sometimes it's a huge roar of a bark........Oh! Gawd! I have a dog that needs Ritalin!

Can someone come over and tame my beast!

The kids all came over for a visit and Horton thinks that means, "pick up my bed and throw it at them!" What is wrong with this dog? Seriously! He eventually calms down and lays at their feet or goes to his bed [after I've rescued it] and all's good, but his greetings are over the top folks!

And, now he thinks he must make a noise at every person/bird/dog/child who walks by our front door. Sometimes it's a low growly/bark and sometimes it's a huge roar of a bark........Oh! Gawd! I have a dog that needs Ritalin!

Too funny Roz. Maybe he needs a week at "boot camp". He can share a kennel with Orson!

Too funny Roz. Maybe he needs a week at "boot camp". He can share a kennel with Orson!

Seriously, I know they have Workshops [i try to go every year.] I think a "boot camp" would be a great idea. A weekend of practice, practice, learning and more practice.

Horton's a great worker, when he's "on" he's really on. But, when he's "off" oh brother, look out!

And, the Workshops are always so busy.....it seems there are so many people wanting to do so much.

I'm going to call CCI and see if they do hold some kind of Workshops before the really busy planned ones.

Thanks for the "underhanded suggestion!"

I'm laughing (in sympathy) Roz because I just had relatives around for a week. Those over-the-top greetings are Hearing Dog Raylene's specialty. We've been working on that, and on non-work walks to avoid leash-pulling, with a local trainer picked out for me by Dogs for the Deaf.

Fairbourne, keep those great Aruba photos and stories coming. Enjoying them so much!

Thanks Chris for your insights.......We went out to dinner last night to a restaurant that has a pond in front. The pond is loaded with turtles....so adorable and so much fun to watch them. Horton's head was practically spinning off his shoulders trying to figure out what they were. They'd pop their little heads out of the water [hoping for crumbs] and, every time they did he'd poke his nose closer and closer to sniff them out. I was waiting for one to snap at him. It was so cute.

From what I can see of Horton, he's not really much of a water guy. Not like Brenda who loved to get closer and closer so she could get her paws wet.

Finally Horton was distracted by a little poodle [with pink feathers in her hair] who wanted to get closer and closer to this big boy. He made one big bow, let her come over and sniff his snout, and then the tangling of the leashes began! ♥

Horton appeared to be sad when we had to leave. I'm so tempted to get him a "buddy" to live at home with him. But, it wouldn't be fair to the "buddy" I know! Unless, I buy a "fake" vest online and call it a "Service Dog" and bring it to work with me! :rolleyes:

Horton appeared to be sad when we had to leave. I'm so tempted to get him a "buddy" to live at home with him. But, it wouldn't be fair to the "buddy" I know! Unless, I buy a "fake" vest online and call it a "Service Dog" and bring it to work with me! :rolleyes:

Oh you bad bad girl! ;) :D

Thanks Chris for your insights.......We went out to dinner last night to a restaurant that has a pond in front. The pond is loaded with turtles....so adorable and so much fun to watch them. Horton's head was practically spinning off his shoulders trying to figure out what they were. They'd pop their little heads out of the water [hoping for crumbs] and, every time they did he'd poke his nose closer and closer to sniff them out. I was waiting for one to snap at him. It was so cute.

From what I can see of Horton, he's not really much of a water guy. Not like Brenda who loved to get closer and closer so she could get her paws wet.

Finally Horton was distracted by a little poodle [with pink feathers in her hair] who wanted to get closer and closer to this big boy. He made one big bow, let her come over and sniff his snout, and then the tangling of the leashes began! ♥

I will hunt you down, make you wear the vest and take you to work with me!! I bet your shakin in your boots now!! :eek:

Hi! Welcome!

It's a mitigation issue between the DOJ and the ADA. The public access law's state that the Service/Working Dog must mitigate a problem that you are having such as helping you to walk/hear/see/pick up things for you/open doors/push elevator buttons, etc., etc., etc. And, the dog can be as big as a Great Dane or as small as a Chihuahua. Size does NOT matter!

Casey is considered an "Emotional Support" dog and they do NOT have Public Access.

Unless the laws have changed, that I'm not aware of, the above holds true for you and is the reason that you are going to get some flack in taking Casey on a cruise ship.

Sorry it took so long for me to respond and I should have been more specific when I comment on what type of services my dog does for me. Casey while his primary skills deal with PTSD he is also a hearing alert dog as I am partially deaf in both ears from an IED exploding right outside my Humvee...

Sorry it took so long for me to respond and I should have been more specific when I comment on what type of services my dog does for me. Casey while his primary skills deal with PTSD he is also a hearing alert dog as I am partially deaf in both ears from an IED exploding right outside my Humvee...

Perfect.....well, I know "perfect" doesn't exactly describe your need for Casey but your lucky to have him. He should be able to go cruising with you. I hope you both enjoy the experience.

If there's anything more we can all do to help you have a wonderful cruising experience please don't hesitate to ask.

Perfect.....well, I know "perfect" doesn't exactly describe your need for Casey but your lucky to have him. He should be able to go cruising with you. I hope you both enjoy the experience.

If there's anything more we can all do to help you have a wonderful cruising experience please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you so much. I am so blessed to have him. So my fiancé who also has a Service Dog and I are planning on getting married on a cruise out of Florida and this would be both of our first times cruising with our SD. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

I'll be behind DKD wearing my "stern" specs .... Well they work with Aruba! LOL!!! :eek: