Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Me too! But I'm not sure there would be room for us and that big boy! He sure knows how to take up the whole bed!!!! :D

Cindy - Wex is so handsome, how could you treat him so badly! Thank goodness Aunty Nancy sent him that email - I'm surprised she didn't send YOU to the doghouse (in the hope that a doghouse is nothing remotely the same as a cathouse!!!:p:D)

He does look huge when he sprawls out! You should see John and I trying to fit in the bed with him! :eek:

Don't pay any attention to Aunt Nancy, she is a troublemaker!

Edited by rangeley

Thanks for this, made interesting reading. I may be wrong but the way I read it, it seemed as if the puppy raisers were "financially responsible", pay for everything for the pups at one organisation, or is it just not quite clearly written?

The Guide Dogs for the Blind furnish us with everything we need, from different size collars, leads (the blue fabric one turns into a big girl leather one!), vet bills and of course food. The food is discounted from the manufacturer and we order it from a special number - our first order arrived, a 20kg sack! :eek: we are getting through it - slowly! But you can choose to sponsor the puppy's food for example (:)) but as they get it discounted, it's easier just to give a donation. They also give the puppy walker a £100 payment to cover any out of pocket expenses - we declined - the way I look at it, she gives us way more than £100 worth of joy, every day!!!:D.

First; thank you so much for sharing the wonderful pictures of our Aruba with us.

Second; thank you for sharing your experience and information about how you do what you do with the organization that you're working with.

Words could never express the gratitude that I have for what you're doing.

My GOODNESS Cindy, he is so handsome! He certainly seems to be enjoying those comfy beds! :)

No worries, I would never attempt to pet a working dog. Although if the owner saw that I was eyeing the dog and offered I certainly would! :) AND, I wouldn't think of ever reporting anything, because I am not educated on the subject at hand. It certainly wouldn't be right to complain about something I didn't know anything about!

Thank you for your answers. I really appreciate hearing all about these great dogs! :)

You are so welcome! Thank you for your interest.

He is handsome isn't he? ;)

You take good care of him and his good looks can also be attributed to your love, kindness and care.

I just love when he is sleeping. Especially when he's on his side and all his paws are together.

Just like Horty........What is up with the way they try to draw their long, spindly legs up when they're sleeping, it's so cute! Makes me smile!

And you wouldn't have it any other way! I learned from the best, sis! Of course the Big Blonde with Big Hair had a share in it too! :o

Will the both of you just get along! Geeeezzzzz! Can't leave you two for a minute.

Can you imagine us on a cruise together......everyone would want to be at our table!!!!!

Dear Aunty Nancy

Would you just look what my Dad did to me today! Mum couldn't speak for laughing! Huh!

Help! Where's that darn Piggy when I need help?

XXX Aruba

Aruba, you look like one of Santa's Elves........a little early but so, so cute!!!!

Fairbourne, you better start that album and make sure that all these fabulous pictures make it in there. Make two one for you and one for Aruba's "forever home!"

OMD, Little Miss Aruba, RUN, RUN, don't let them do that to you! This is coming from an Auntie Nancy that dresses Jezzy Lou in T-shirts. But, only during the winter. It is too hot now. She is running around nekkid, too! Shhhh don't tell Wexy. He will want to see her nekkid pictures! And so will Auntie Cindy! :eek:

Aruba, you look like one of Santa's Elves........a little early but so, so cute!!!!

Fairbourne, you better start that album and make sure that all these fabulous pictures make it in there. Make two one for you and one for Aruba's "forever home!"

She does, doesn't she! I bought the Santa outfit a couple of years ago thinking, foolishly really, that it would fit Poppy and it would be fun on Christmas Day! It made a good bandana! Anyway, Poppy adopted it as her "baby", and needless to say that little tink pinched it off her ...... Thought it was a laugh no doubt, till her dad popped her in it! I just love the expression on her face .... Funny enough she hasn't been near it since! LOL!

Meeting our puppy supervisor tomorrow for a walking session. Hope he comes up with some good help for me in dealing with little tink who wants to chew their lead, refuses to walk and slaps their bum on the ground with that "I'm not going one paw further" look!

Did you see the Pitons? Our cruise went along the coast so we could get a good look at them. They were just beautiful.

When we went to Barbados, not only was the dog not able to get off the ship but neither was John. They had a trolley that brought you from the ship to dock but since John was in the wheelchair and could not get on the trolley, they told him he was not allowed off the ship. They would not let him wheel to the dock. :mad: We thought that was really crappy but gladly stayed on the ship.

Yes, we were able to find an accessible taxi and take an island tour to see the pitons. When we got to Barbados, they had the regular trolly to take people from the ship. But they also had an accessible van for people in wheelchairs. It only ran from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM and 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM. We took it in the morning but wanted to get back to the ship before 2:30 so we walked. Nobody tried to stop us.

OMD, Little Miss Aruba, RUN, RUN, don't let them do that to you! This is coming from an Auntie Nancy that dresses Jezzy Lou in T-shirts. But, only during the winter. It is too hot now. She is running around nekkid, too! Shhhh don't tell Wexy. He will want to see her nekkid pictures! And so will Auntie Cindy! :eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek: You think we are pervs? Well maybe John. LOL

Yes, we were able to find an accessible taxi and take an island tour to see the pitons. When we got to Barbados, they had the regular trolly to take people from the ship. But they also had an accessible van for people in wheelchairs. It only ran from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM and 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM. We took it in the morning but wanted to get back to the ship before 2:30 so we walked. Nobody tried to stop us.

Hmmmm maybe they didn't like us because we had the dog. :mad:

Background: Our dd, age 18, finally got her SD, Nakota, the last week of March. When we went to Hawaii, we left her in the care of Freedom Service Dogs since we didn't have enough time to prepare to do the research to take her with us. She is a Norweigan Elk Hound/Alaskan Husky mix and so it would have been very hot for her and we are still in the learning process.

We have booked a cruise from Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale in September of 2015. So I have plenty of time to get everything in order to take her. But, boy do I need help! The cruise is 22 days on the Coral Princess. We plan on staying a few days in Vancouver prior to the cruise.

As I've been reading through the posts, I just get more confused - well just about everything.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Robyn

232323232%7Ffp537%3A%3A%3Evq%3D443%3B%3E546%3E238%3EWSNRCG%3D4259%3B5%3A696329vq0mrj232323232%7Ffp537%3A8%3Evq%3D4259%3E975%3E969%3E334%3A975%3A5%3A238wp1lsi

Background: Our dd, age 18, finally got her SD, Nakota, the last week of March. When we went to Hawaii, we left her in the care of Freedom Service Dogs since we didn't have enough time to prepare to do the research to take her with us. She is a Norweigan Elk Hound/Alaskan Husky mix and so it would have been very hot for her and we are still in the learning process.

We have booked a cruise from Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale in September of 2015. So I have plenty of time to get everything in order to take her. But, boy do I need help! The cruise is 22 days on the Coral Princess. We plan on staying a few days in Vancouver prior to the cruise.

As I've been reading through the posts, I just get more confused - well just about everything.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Robyn

232323232%7Ffp537%3A%3A%3Evq%3D443%3B%3E546%3E238%3EWSNRCG%3D4259%3B5%3A696329vq0mrj232323232%7Ffp537%3A8%3Evq%3D4259%3E975%3E969%3E334%3A975%3A5%3A238wp1lsi

Robyn, welcome to our family. I think you're going to love the Coral. Princess is a great choice for you and Nakota. They are very good at showing respect towards our dogs. You will sign paperwork and fax it back to their Special Needs Dept.; they will provide a 5x6 box filled with heavy plastic and Cyprus mulch. Bring your own potty bags to pick up the waste. Make sure to replace the mulch accordingly during your cruise [it will soak-up the urine and will not leave any odor.]

Be prepared to answer a lot of questions about your dog; what it does; where'd you get him; how old is he; what's his name; WHERE DOES HE GO TO THE BATHROOM? [The most popular question of them all!]

Elevators onboard a cruise ship can be a problem. Take your time; make sure that you allow yourself enough time to get where you're going so that you don't fall into the trap of the "angry tourist!" You are a small parade [people/wheel chair/dog] and require more room for coming and going. Allow yourself the room and the time to enjoy every moment of your cruise. You'll find that not everyone loves your dog like you do. Keep him close to you but do allow for some patting time from the public who are missing their dogs/cats and will fall in love with Nakota the second they see that face.

I don't know where your cabin is but my most favorite onboard Princess is the aft [rear] of the ship so that I can use the stairwell for the potty box. I'm sure they have stairwells in the front of the ship as well, I just have not had the opportunity to use them.

Your paperwork is very simple. Contact your Vet and he/she will tell you exactly what you will need. All it requires is that Nakota be properly vaccinated/be in good health and have had a recent exam by his Vet. The Vet will certify that Nakota is fit to travel, up to date on all immunizations, he will sign the paperwork and you should be good to go.

Make sure that you have a copy for the ship/immigration and for yourself.

Vancouver can be a little "iffy" in terms of Nakota because we found some of their restaurants/cabs and the gardens to be a bit unfriendly towards my dog. That was a few years ago....I think they've become more accustomed to seeing Service Dogs in the past few years because I'm hearing good things from Vancouver, in general, for SD travel. That's very good news!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

She does, doesn't she! I bought the Santa outfit a couple of years ago thinking, foolishly really, that it would fit Poppy and it would be fun on Christmas Day! It made a good bandana! Anyway, Poppy adopted it as her "baby", and needless to say that little tink pinched it off her ...... Thought it was a laugh no doubt, till her dad popped her in it! I just love the expression on her face .... Funny enough she hasn't been near it since! LOL!

Meeting our puppy supervisor tomorrow for a walking session. Hope he comes up with some good help for me in dealing with little tink who wants to chew their lead, refuses to walk and slaps their bum on the ground with that "I'm not going one paw further" look!

Please come back and tell us what you were taught. Brenda was a terrible walker [she thought she had to greet every person/animal/thing that was walking towards us.] It was so embarrassing. Even CCI could not train this out of her. Horton, on the other hand, is the most amazing walker. It's a pure joy to walk with him. His problem is he thinks he has to sniff EVERYTHING!

I guess a dog, is a dog, is a dog! The skills needed to be a guide dog will keep nosey, busy-body type dogs out of the program. They need to focus on what their doing, that's for sure!

I hope everyone is doing well. ♥

We're having really glorious weather here in L.A. Not too hot or too cold. The humidity is down, no winds, just very nice.

I can go all the way to my front door, after work, without crying my eyes out. I do tear-up and I can feel the sadness wash over me but I'm not out and out bawling. It used to be so, so hard to go home. Now, I actually look forward to it and don't feel the horrible sense of dread! I'm sure it's easier for Horty too.

Missing Brenda will last forever inside of me.......as I start to well-up......but, the sadness is shorter and I'm allowing the good thoughts and memories of her come into my head. Soon, I'll look at our scrapbooks of our travels together, I know that will be difficult but we had so many incredible journeys. I was so lucky to have her in my life.

I still have her couch and am really not ready to part with it. It's in beautiful shape and it was truly hers. Horton doesn't even go near it. It will stay with me for a while.

Thanks for letting me share her with you. ♥

I hope everyone is doing well. ♥

We're having really glorious weather here in L.A. Not too hot or too cold. The humidity is down, no winds, just very nice.

I can go all the way to my front door, after work, without crying my eyes out. I do tear-up and I can feel the sadness wash over me but I'm not out and out bawling. It used to be so, so hard to go home. Now, I actually look forward to it and don't feel the horrible sense of dread! I'm sure it's easier for Horty too.

Missing Brenda will last forever inside of me.......as I start to well-up......but, the sadness is shorter and I'm allowing the good thoughts and memories of her come into my head. Soon, I'll look at our scrapbooks of our travels together, I know that will be difficult but we had so many incredible journeys. I was so lucky to have her in my life.

I still have her couch and am really not ready to part with it. It's in beautiful shape and it was truly hers. Horton doesn't even go near it. It will stay with me for a while.

Thanks for letting me share her with you. ♥

Roz, we wouldn't have it any other way. I miss all my darlings who are no longer with us - and I always will.

Aruba and I met with our puppy walker supervisor yesterday at our local small shopping centre - an outdoor mall type with a DIY store, pet shop, few food stores, but we just parked there and headed off to the railway station a couple of hundred yards away, which was a new adventure and meant walking along a busy road, crossing a couple of streets before we got there.

Our town is quite small, so everything is within great walking distance for a little pawson!

So, rather predictably Aruba set off very well, no chewing the lead, with me thinking all the time, I wonder how far we will get before she parks her bum! (I had already mentioned this happened to the trainer and her brother is exactly the same!). Half way up the hill to the railway station, plonks bum on pavement. "What do you do now?" asks trainer. "Oh I bend down and reassure her and give her a few pats and encouraging words" says I smiling, thinking, yep, I encourage her, praise to puppy walker coming .... Oh no! Apparently I am "teaching" her to love parking her bum as she knows that she will get the fussing and love, so wrong move from me.

What I have to do when is happens is just stand and wait and as soon as I feel the tension in the lead change, i.e. She decides she's going to move, I just speak to her in a very flat voice to go forward. No "good girl encouragement" until she gets going. He said she will soon work out that there will be no "reward (cuddles!)" for sitting down like that.

So off we trotted, me still learning to walk looking straight ahead with no eye contact with Aruba at all - this is hard to do and I have to learn to have confidence in her and myself to do this.

This is a very small rural station with only two tracks and a small pedestrian bridge that crosses the tracks - we walk straight up to the tracks, stand on edge of platform. We gave Aruba a chance to have a look down over the platform edge, which she wasn't too impressed with, but it's important that they know what's there and it's not very interesting. He told me that at formal training the trainers ask the dogs to go forward at the platform edge with the hope that they don't! This is to ensure that if a guide dog owner has become disorientated and don't realise how close they may be to the edge of the platform, and they ask the dog to go forward, the dog will stand. It's very clever isn't it and I love the stories behind the training.

She tackled the steps up and over the bridge with no problems. I was taught the correct way to go up the steps. Dog is always on the left, so approach the steps rail on right side so guide dog owner has support. (I remember it as Human to Handrail). The dog then has to place her front paws on the first step and wait, this gives the guide dog owner time to place their foot on the first step, gauge the height, width etc., of the steps before ascending and grab hold of the handrail. Aruba did well at this task and was praised verbally (no cuddles from Mum!) it's slightly different coming down - dog has to wait at the top step, again for the guide dog owner to guage the step down.

She had a look out when we were on the top of the bridge and wasn't too keen - how did we know this? Dogs will give themselves a little shake down if they come across or experience something they do not like. It literally shakes off the anxiety. So she was a little bit anxious but it was her first time there.

She descended the steps beautifully and didn't do a jump down the last four or so! I was so proud of her and we walked back to the car well with no stopping or chewing of lead! We also have to walk slightly in the middle of the pavement so we are away from interesting smells at the edge of the pavement.

The trainer was very happy with Aruba's progress and I think he was pleased enough with me! LOL!

People, of course, wanted to say hello, but we asked them to greet her so that Aruba was not jumping up, remaining firmly on the dog shelf. She does tend to just sit and then lie down when I'm chatting to someone, and they are ignoring her, so that's good as well. It was easier having two of us as he was wearing his Guide Dog shirt, so people took more heed of that and didn't approach as they would if it were me on my own, although she does have a dayglo sign on her bright blue lead saying she's a guide dog puppy. It's a double edged sword really as you want to concentrate on the training, but she does need to meet all sorts of people and of course, you want to raise awareness of what you are doing. (A lady approached us in the car park and was interested in what we were doing, so we gave her contact details, so you never know, we may have recruited another puppy walker!)

She was pretty tired after her big outing, and oh my dawgness can she snore! And she got lots of cuddles from her mum when she got home .... She is such a good girl.

So today, we will practice what we learnt yesterday with the lead work and steps.

I am so loving this "work"!!!:D:D:D

She and I have our post breakfast cuddle sitting together on our garden swing - I reckon the swing motion will get her used to the movement if she ever goes on a cruise ship in the future - you never know!

Hope I'm not boring everyone with all this news! :eek:

Oh Fairbourne! Never boring I hung onto each word, reading about your and Ms. Aruba's journey. What a little smarty pawnts. She figured out the bum on the ground will get me cuddles. Why should I keep walking, this woman may never stop! I am so glad and greatful for what you are doing. What a job? Huh. :)

Hope everyone has a great day. We have been a bit warm. 100+ weather for awhile now. I guess summer is finally here............

Aruba and I met with our puppy walker supervisor yesterday at our local small shopping centre - an outdoor mall type with a DIY store, pet shop, few food stores, but we just parked there and headed off to the railway station a couple of hundred yards away, which was a new adventure and meant walking along a busy road, crossing a couple of streets before we got there.

Our town is quite small, so everything is within great walking distance for a little pawson!

So, rather predictably Aruba set off very well, no chewing the lead, with me thinking all the time, I wonder how far we will get before she parks her bum! (I had already mentioned this happened to the trainer and her brother is exactly the same!). Half way up the hill to the railway station, plonks bum on pavement. "What do you do now?" asks trainer. "Oh I bend down and reassure her and give her a few pats and encouraging words" says I smiling, thinking, yep, I encourage her, praise to puppy walker coming .... Oh no! Apparently I am "teaching" her to love parking her bum as she knows that she will get the fussing and love, so wrong move from me.

What I have to do when is happens is just stand and wait and as soon as I feel the tension in the lead change, i.e. She decides she's going to move, I just speak to her in a very flat voice to go forward. No "good girl encouragement" until she gets going. He said she will soon work out that there will be no "reward (cuddles!)" for sitting down like that.

So off we trotted, me still learning to walk looking straight ahead with no eye contact with Aruba at all - this is hard to do and I have to learn to have confidence in her and myself to do this.

This is a very small rural station with only two tracks and a small pedestrian bridge that crosses the tracks - we walk straight up to the tracks, stand on edge of platform. We gave Aruba a chance to have a look down over the platform edge, which she wasn't too impressed with, but it's important that they know what's there and it's not very interesting. He told me that at formal training the trainers ask the dogs to go forward at the platform edge with the hope that they don't! This is to ensure that if a guide dog owner has become disorientated and don't realise how close they may be to the edge of the platform, and they ask the dog to go forward, the dog will stand. It's very clever isn't it and I love the stories behind the training.

She tackled the steps up and over the bridge with no problems. I was taught the correct way to go up the steps. Dog is always on the left, so approach the steps rail on right side so guide dog owner has support. (I remember it as Human to Handrail). The dog then has to place her front paws on the first step and wait, this gives the guide dog owner time to place their foot on the first step, gauge the height, width etc., of the steps before ascending and grab hold of the handrail. Aruba did well at this task and was praised verbally (no cuddles from Mum!) it's slightly different coming down - dog has to wait at the top step, again for the guide dog owner to guage the step down.

She had a look out when we were on the top of the bridge and wasn't too keen - how did we know this? Dogs will give themselves a little shake down if they come across or experience something they do not like. It literally shakes off the anxiety. So she was a little bit anxious but it was her first time there.

She descended the steps beautifully and didn't do a jump down the last four or so! I was so proud of her and we walked back to the car well with no stopping or chewing of lead! We also have to walk slightly in the middle of the pavement so we are away from interesting smells at the edge of the pavement.

The trainer was very happy with Aruba's progress and I think he was pleased enough with me! LOL!

People, of course, wanted to say hello, but we asked them to greet her so that Aruba was not jumping up, remaining firmly on the dog shelf. She does tend to just sit and then lie down when I'm chatting to someone, and they are ignoring her, so that's good as well. It was easier having two of us as he was wearing his Guide Dog shirt, so people took more heed of that and didn't approach as they would if it were me on my own, although she does have a dayglo sign on her bright blue lead saying she's a guide dog puppy. It's a double edged sword really as you want to concentrate on the training, but she does need to meet all sorts of people and of course, you want to raise awareness of what you are doing. (A lady approached us in the car park and was interested in what we were doing, so we gave her contact details, so you never know, we may have recruited another puppy walker!)

She was pretty tired after her big outing, and oh my dawgness can she snore! And she got lots of cuddles from her mum when she got home .... She is such a good girl.

So today, we will practice what we learnt yesterday with the lead work and steps.

I am so loving this "work"!!!:D:D:D

She and I have our post breakfast cuddle sitting together on our garden swing - I reckon the swing motion will get her used to the movement if she ever goes on a cruise ship in the future - you never know!

Hope I'm not boring everyone with all this news! :eek:

Fairbourne, what a great job you are doing!! And the fact that you are loving it makes it all the more better. I had to laugh when you started talking about Aruba parking her butt. Ocho used to do the very same thing when we went for a walk and he lost sight of the house. That's when we learned not to reinforce "unwanted" behavior. Please don't stop with your "puppy reports". I for one am enjoying them.