Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Cindy, when do you escape the cold and start cruising? I hope I haven't missed wishing you a Bon~Voyage!

Is Wexy still wanting to cruise? It's about his age when Brenda started to slow down and didn't want to leave the cabin as much. Horton still likes to go out and explore the ship and get to meet new friends.

Re-entry to UK HELP!!!

We are just about to book a Southampton round trip Canaries cruise and then saw the regulations re entering back into the UK. It says that all dogs need to be seen in a port of call 1-5 days before returning to UK by vet and have tapeworm/relevant paperwork. P&O explained it’s the owners responsibility to find a vet before returning to Southampton. Our last port is Lisbon. We are panicking about how on Earth we sort this out. Also worried about if we do find a vet, concerned on timings if we book a vet and the ship docks late. Also worried about if we need to get taxi to vet because it’s too far from port and if driver refuses a guide dog. It just sounds so stressful and we have a six hour window. Please can anyone help????

Re-entry to UK HELP!!!

We are just about to book a Southampton round trip Canaries cruise and then saw the regulations re entering back into the UK. It says that all dogs need to be seen in a port of call 1-5 days before returning to UK by vet and have tapeworm/relevant paperwork. P&O explained it’s the owners responsibility to find a vet before returning to Southampton. Our last port is Lisbon. We are panicking about how on Earth we sort this out. Also worried about if we do find a vet, concerned on timings if we book a vet and the ship docks late. Also worried about if we need to get taxi to vet because it’s too far from port and if driver refuses a guide dog. It just sounds so stressful and we have a six hour window. Please can anyone help????

First, no panic allowed!!!!! You're going on a cruise and although you technically and physically will be entering the EU, the requirements must be adjusted to fit the time restraints that may occur while you have no control over the movement of the ship you are onboard. You will need to be prepared to have your dog examined by Agricultural Inspectors from the country you're visiting and MOST IMPORTANTLY, your cool and calm demeanor will be very important to everyone who meets you and your dog. Make sure he's on his best behavior at ALL times!

When we entered Europe we contacted the following person who literally walked us through all that was required and needed:

Liz Shickle Veterinary Officer

Animal Health

Heathrow Border Inspection Post - Live Animal

P- + 44 (0) 208 759 7002 F- + 44 (0) 208 564 8939

Elizabeth.Shickle@animalhealth.gsi.gov.uk

There is a specific EU Certificate [from the DEFRA website or the USDA website.]

Most Important, your dog MUST be microchipped, current on Rabies Vaccine, and have a rabies titer test done [this blood test can be a bit expensive.] Liz will tell you the timing on getting this test done.

The information above is a few years old.....If you need further assistance, the following is a website you may visit for more current information:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/iregs/animals/ee_cn_fe-cert-english.pdf

It felt like I was going through the worst hoops and whistles when we took my first SD, Brenda, and when going to Hawaii. But, if you take a deep breath and follow all the steps, you will be fine.

There were some short-cuts along the way [i.e. My own Vet did the Rabies Titer and the results were given to me and I forwarded them to the Agricultural Inspector [instead of the lab doing it] and, kept the original copy with all my paperwork to show the Inspector upon our arrival], when she inspected Horton in person, she had no problem with the deviation and passed us with flying colors!!!! She said that the test should have been forwarded by the testing lab, but accepted it being handed to her.

Keep all your paperwork together, make sure your dog is on Heartguard and Nexguard [or some other flea and tick abatement meds.], make sure all immunizations are current and even get the canine flu shot to protect your partner [our Vet recommended this because of the other dogs we might encounter.] Make sure his nails are trimmed, his ears, fur and skin are clean and, all will be good!!!!

Breathe!!!!! ;)

Thank you so so much for all the information. I was nearly in tears stressing out!

I’ve read everything you’ve said and just wanted to clarify (if you don’t mind!), do we need to find a vet in our last port to re-enter the UK?

Thank you so much once again

quote=wizard-of-roz;55232754]First, no panic allowed!!!!! You're going on a cruise and although you technically and physically will be entering the EU, the requirements must be adjusted to fit the time restraints that may occur while you have no control over the movement of the ship you are onboard. You will need to be prepared to have your dog examined by Agricultural Inspectors from the country you're visiting and MOST IMPORTANTLY, your cool and calm demeanor will be very important to everyone who meets you and your dog. Make sure he's on his best behavior at ALL times!

When we entered Europe we contacted the following person who literally walked us through all that was required and needed:

Liz Shickle Veterinary Officer

Animal Health

Heathrow Border Inspection Post - Live Animal

P- + 44 (0) 208 759 7002 F- + 44 (0) 208 564 8939

Elizabeth.Shickle@animalhealth.gsi.gov.uk

There is a specific EU Certificate [from the DEFRA website or the USDA website.]

Most Important, your dog MUST be microchipped, current on Rabies Vaccine, and have a rabies titer test done [this blood test can be a bit expensive.] Liz will tell you the timing on getting this test done.

The information above is a few years old.....If you need further assistance, the following is a website you may visit for more current information:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/iregs/animals/ee_cn_fe-cert-english.pdf

It felt like I was going through the worst hoops and whistles when we took my first SD, Brenda, and when going to Hawaii. But, if you take a deep breath and follow all the steps, you will be fine.

There were some short-cuts along the way [i.e. My own Vet did the Rabies Titer and the results were given to me and I forwarded them to the Agricultural Inspector [instead of the lab doing it] and, kept the original copy with all my paperwork to show the Inspector upon our arrival], when she inspected Horton in person, she had no problem with the deviation and passed us with flying colors!!!! She said that the test should have been forwarded by the testing lab, but accepted it being handed to her.

Keep all your paperwork together, make sure your dog is on Heartguard and Nexguard [or some other flea and tick abatement meds.], make sure all immunizations are current and even get the canine flu shot to protect your partner [our Vet recommended this because of the other dogs we might encounter.] Make sure his nails are trimmed, his ears, fur and skin are clean and, all will be good!!!!

Breathe!!!!! ;)

Thank you so so much for all the information. I was nearly in tears stressing out!

I’ve read everything you’ve said and just wanted to clarify (if you don’t mind!), do we need to find a vet in our last port to re-enter the UK?

Thank you so much once again

The laws may have changed but I did NOT have to find a vet to re-check Brenda before entering the UK.

May I suggest that you go to a website called "Travel to The EU With a Service Dog." There is more up to date information and you may find the answer you need.

If you're re-entering the UK onboard a cruise ship, it would be impossible to know exactly what time you'd have to meet, unless this was arranged by the cruise line upon your arrival, and then they'd have to let you know by calling your stateroom.

Check the website I suggested and don't sweat it. I promise they will NOT take your dog away from you and if you've gotten onboard the ship with him, he will debark with you when the voyage is over. The worst that can happen when going to a foreign port with a Service Dog is that they may ask you not to go into port with him. So, you may have to take turns visiting a particular port, while someone stays back with the dog.

I'm just a traveler with my Service Dog, as you are. I use every avenue of information that I can. The world wide web can be very informative and helpful.

HIII!!!

Been a year or so since ive been on and I had a good time on my cruise with my pup.

I am about to go on another one and have questions.

I hope you can help.

I am going on Carnival imagination: dog has to potty on paper!? anyone have issues?

I sail in less than a month, carnival says I needed to contact APHIS for paperwork.

I thought if I was not getting off the ship in mexico i did not need paperwork. (Last year any port i did not want to get off at i did not get paperwork for and royal was fine with it. There was just no changing my mind as far as taking her. Which was fine.)

Carnival says i need paperwork for all ports...

Most are in California, one in Mexico.

Do i need paperwork for her if i live in the U.S. and will only be getting off at ports in california??

APHIS person got upset with e because he did not seem to understand we were not getting off. Says we need paperwork...

I am running out of time, and before was told no paperwork was needed if I was not getting off in mexico, but now they are saying I do and I have less than two weeks to get it! (Due to me being out of state to start my vacation).

I am freaking out right now!!!!

HIII!!!

Been a year or so since ive been on and I had a good time on my cruise with my pup.

I am about to go on another one and have questions.

I hope you can help.

I am going on Carnival imagination: dog has to potty on paper!? anyone have issues?

I sail in less than a month, carnival says I needed to contact APHIS for paperwork.

I thought if I was not getting off the ship in mexico i did not need paperwork. (Last year any port i did not want to get off at i did not get paperwork for and royal was fine with it. There was just no changing my mind as far as taking her. Which was fine.)

Carnival says i need paperwork for all ports...

Most are in California, one in Mexico.

Do i need paperwork for her if i live in the U.S. and will only be getting off at ports in california??

APHIS person got upset with e because he did not seem to understand we were not getting off. Says we need paperwork...

I am running out of time, and before was told no paperwork was needed if I was not getting off in mexico, but now they are saying I do and I have less than two weeks to get it! (Due to me being out of state to start my vacation).

I am freaking out right now!!!!

People, NO FREAKING-OUT ALLOWED!!

In order to go onboard a cruise ship with a Service Dog, whether it be for 1 day or 1 month, you MUST have the Aphis 7001 Form filled out by your Vet [your Vet should have this form for you.] Any other I.D. from the training Org. or other relevant paperwork is always good to have as well. The Aphis form will tell Immigration Authorities/Agricultural Inspectors, etc., that your dog is up on all his immunizations and is on Heartguard and Nexguard [or other flea & tick abatement meds.] Mexico is now insisting that ALL dogs onboard cruise ships have this paperwork and proof of meds. Your dog must also have a microchip [something your Vet can also do for you.] The Vet should NOT use any abbreviations on the paperwork. He must spell everything out. It must be concise and clearly written and signed.

You can download the Aphis 7001 form from the internet and bring it with you to the Vet, in case they don't have it.

Make at least 3 copies of everything so that you can just hand one off to the folks at registration and you won't need to wait for them to make a copy.

You will be called by Guest Services sometime during your cruise to bring your dog to meet the Immigration officials, in the morning, at one of your ports. Bring along another copy of your paperwork with you. Don't sweat it, be courteous and make sure your dog is on his best behavior, with clean ears, fur and skin.

There, wasn't that easy!!!! Have a great cruise! ♥ :) ;)

I'll be traveling with my service dog out of the port of miami on celebrity cruise line to cococay.

Are there any certification requirements. Its my understanding each port has their own requirements. ADA does not require public locations to ask for paper documentation according to their website, but doesn't mention customs etc.

Does she need proof of updated shots? I know she did to travel internationally by airplane

Do you know if I can take her off the boat in Cococay?

I'll be traveling with my service dog out of the port of miami on celebrity cruise line to cococay.

Are there any certification requirements. Its my understanding each port has their own requirements. ADA does not require public locations to ask for paper documentation according to their website, but doesn't mention customs etc.

Does she need proof of updated shots? I know she did to travel internationally by airplane

Do you know if I can take her off the boat in Cococay?

This paperwork is not an ADA issue. It has to do with the Department of Agriculture. You may have done this previously when you traveled internationally by plane. The paperwork allows you to export your dog from the US and import your service dog temporarily into foreign countries on your cruise itinerary if you meet their import requirements. Google “APHIS Pet Travel” and read on that website about these individual country requirements for exporting your dog. They are shown by clicking on a drop-down box.

Yes, you always need a current rabies certificate and a form 7001 Health Certificate which must be issued by an APHIS accredited vet. Many countries require additional country specific documents, too, for that vet to fill out. Some countries require the 7001 or other forms to be signed and stamped by a federal authority, which is a regional APHIS office. So you must then either go in person to that office or, if it’s too far, send the form and include a return envelope, Both ways by overnight letter like UPS or FedX.

If Cococay is the Bahamas, you’ll need to apply by mail for a Bahamian permit as indicated on the APHIS website. Allow plenty of time. You may want to search this forum thread for cruisers’ recent Bahamas info re the permits.

This paperwork is not an ADA issue. It has to do with the Department of Agriculture. You may have done this previously when you traveled internationally by plane. The paperwork allows you to export your dog from the US and import your service dog temporarily into foreign countries on your cruise itinerary if you meet their import requirements. Google “APHIS Pet Travel” and read on that website about these individual country requirements for exporting your dog. They are shown by clicking on a drop-down box.

Yes, you always need a current rabies certificate and a form 7001 Health Certificate which must be issued by an APHIS accredited vet. Many countries require additional country specific documents, too, for that vet to fill out. Some countries require the 7001 or other forms to be signed and stamped by a federal authority, which is a regional APHIS office. So you must then either go in person to that office or, if it’s too far, send the form and include a return envelope, Both ways by overnight letter like UPS or FedX.

If Cococay is the Bahamas, you’ll need to apply by mail for a Bahamian permit as indicated on the APHIS website. Allow plenty of time. You may want to search this forum thread for cruisers’ recent Bahamas info re the permits.

Thanks for the help and info. For aphis does it need to be pet? Or is there a separate requirement for service animals?

I have torn my hair out twice over the Bahamian authorities "losing" my mailed-in application and documentation. Then last month I asked my vet in Evanston, Ill., to FAX the documents to the Bahamian agricultural people. He did. A week later the permit was FAXed back, completely done and good for one year from issue.

The Bahamians are still stuck on yesterday's technology. And I think they are quick to respond to FAXes from veterinarians . . . that makes everything seem ever so much more official.

Re-entry to UK HELP!!!

I would suggest contacting DEFRA at

Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)

Telephone: 03702 411710 | Email: Pettravel@apha.gsi.gov.uk | Fax: 0208 0260 498

Website: www.gov.uk/apha | Twitter: @APHAgovuk | Facebook: aphagov

Address: Centre for International Trade, Eden Bridge House, Lowther Street, Carlisle, CA3 8DX

They have been helpful in answering my e-mail questions for my upcoming trip to the UK. You may be able to find out if there is any exception to the 120 hour rule for the tapeworm treatment for a cruise.

You do not need a rabies titer unless you are coming from an unlisted country. If you are coming for the US you don't need one as long as you meet the microchipping and rabies vaccination requirements.

Dianne

Thank you for your help 🙂

I would suggest contacting DEFRA at

Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)

Telephone: 03702 411710 | Email: Pettravel@apha.gsi.gov.uk | Fax: 0208 0260 498

Website: www.gov.uk/apha | Twitter: @APHAgovuk | Facebook: aphagov

Address: Centre for International Trade, Eden Bridge House, Lowther Street, Carlisle, CA3 8DX

They have been helpful in answering my e-mail questions for my upcoming trip to the UK. You may be able to find out if there is any exception to the 120 hour rule for the tapeworm treatment for a cruise.

You do not need a rabies titer unless you are coming from an unlisted country. If you are coming for the US you don't need one as long as you meet the microchipping and rabies vaccination requirements.

Dianne

I have torn my hair out twice over the Bahamian authorities "losing" my mailed-in application and documentation. Then last month I asked my vet in Evanston, Ill., to FAX the documents to the Bahamian agricultural people. He did. A week later the permit was FAXed back, completely done and good for one year from issue.

The Bahamians are still stuck on yesterday's technology. And I think they are quick to respond to FAXes from veterinarians . . . that makes everything seem ever so much more official.

I forgot about that tip, Henry. I’m definitely going to go that route next time.

This is awesome, i have a Boxer as my service dog for some issues military related. i am going on a cruise but not taking him. next time i will. i'm iffy with taking him on birds as he has never flown, and a cruise ship as i did not want to confine him to a space and him have to be with me every second of the day, which he loves by the way. Hes a great dog but as a dog he will mess up at times. I took him to DC and NYC for 7 days and OMG did he do great. Can't wait to take him on some flights and a cruise.

Again thank you for the information i will continue to look at this for more info and try to contribute if i can.

This is awesome, i have a Boxer as my service dog for some issues military related. i am going on a cruise but not taking him. next time i will. i'm iffy with taking him on birds as he has never flown, and a cruise ship as i did not want to confine him to a space and him have to be with me every second of the day, which he loves by the way. Hes a great dog but as a dog he will mess up at times..

Just to be sure you are aware - you actually WILL have to have to have your service dog with you every second of the day on a ship. Cruise line policies spell out their expectations on a form you will sign before sailing about the dog’s behavior, and yours. For example, you cannot leave the dog in a stateroom unattended (whether with or without a crate). Service dog handlers generally have no problem with that policy because the dog is at their side all the time anyway, at home, work, school, etc. - either performing its tasks or ready to do them.

Hi there! Sorry, I'm new here and I didn't have the time to read through all 900+ pages of the forum :):):):):):)

I was wondering if anyone had any experience traveling with their service dog to the Bahamas? I'm currently looking at a Nassau & Freeport Carnival cruise. I was wondering if anyone had any difficulties with access at the ports? Especially with Atlantis in Nassau?

TIA!

I have been to the Bahamas and am going there next month. You have to have an import permit for the dog. Do NOT mail in the application for the permit. It will just get "lost." Take the application to your veterinarian and have him FAX the application with his letterhead as the cover page. The Bahamas ag people seem to respect professional veterinarians as honest and legitimate and act quickly on the application.

Even if you are not planning to get off the ship, you still need the import permit to enter Bahamian waters with a dog. Royal PITA but there it is.

The good thing is that if you describe your dog as a service dog and have genuine documentation of its training, such as a certification card from the training organization, you will not have to pay the $15 fee.

I have been to the Bahamas and am going there next month. You have to have an import permit for the dog. Do NOT mail in the application for the permit. It will just get "lost." Take the application to your veterinarian and have him FAX the application with his letterhead as the cover page. The Bahamas ag people seem to respect professional veterinarians as honest and legitimate and act quickly on the application.

Even if you are not planning to get off the ship, you still need the import permit to enter Bahamian waters with a dog. Royal PITA but there it is.

The good thing is that if you describe your dog as a service dog and have genuine documentation of its training, such as a certification card from the training organization, you will not have to pay the $15 fee.

Thanks for the reply! Have you been to Atlantis with your service dog?

No. Hard to take a service dog to a mythical place at the bottom of the sea. Just kidding. I know you mean the resort. But we haven't been there. Since the Bahamians do not have service dog laws, you do not have a legal right to take your dog just anywhere. It would be a good idea to call ahead and see if the dog will be accepted. You might have to provide authentic documentation.

This is awesome, i have a Boxer as my service dog for some issues military related. i am going on a cruise but not taking him. next time i will. i'm iffy with taking him on birds as he has never flown, and a cruise ship as i did not want to confine him to a space and him have to be with me every second of the day, which he loves by the way. Hes a great dog but as a dog he will mess up at times. I took him to DC and NYC for 7 days and OMG did he do great. Can't wait to take him on some flights and a cruise.

Again thank you for the information i will continue to look at this for more info and try to contribute if i can.

Service dogs don't "mess-up" any time! Or, at least, they shouldn't! What do you mean by "mess-up?" I have had a Service Dog since 2002 and neither one of them made a mess anywhere I took them. I must confess, if you take your shoes off and Horton is on a "release" command, he will steal your shoes! A weird character flaw, for sure!!! :o :confused:

We all represent each other when we're out in public and the more professional and well behaved our dogs are the easier it is for us to take them into the public venue.

I think it is a grave mistake to expect that service dogs are going to be 100 percent perfect. My goodness, they're human! (So to speak.) Even the most highly trained guide dog can have an "off day." I think we could expect our dogs to be 99 percent reliable and be ready to handle that 1 per cent when it happens. There is no need to be uptight about possible misbehavior of a dog. Was your dog provoked into barking? If so, did you control the dog after it happened? If this has happened more than once, and the bark was unprovoked, have you taken steps to retrain your dog? This is what we should be looking at, not some mythical Perfect Dog.

There's not a lot of "wiggle room" for our Service Dogs when they're out in the public. Oh! Sure! Horton will steal a sniff, or lunge when least expected.......As you stated, they're not perfect. But, barking, growling, whining, nipping or relieving themselves in public.....NEVER acceptable.

CCI has spent over a year in formal training with our dogs to be fine-tuned to assisting us in many different ways, as well as to act well in public, on airplanes, trains, cars, buses and boats. Prior to this training they spend their first year of life in a Puppy Raiser's home to learn to be polite at home and act well in the supermarket, library, school, courtroom and many other public places. By the time we graduate with our CCI Service Dog, we are a true partnership and our dogs are more than "just a dog" to us!!!!