Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

You're going to love this......After the previous discussion about our dogs acting well in public, this is perfect:

I'm at the supermarket last night and I see the cashier, manager and the bagging person having a private discussion, then I notice that the people in back of me, in line, are not moving forward to put their items on the conveyor belt. I say to them, "it's okay to come close, my dog will not go near you!" The man says, "I'm not moving forward until the mess that your dog made is cleaned up!" I then look at Horton; behind him, beside him, in front of him.......I see nothing. I look at the irate man and say, "what mess?" The cashier tells the bagger to get some paper towels and I say to him, "for what?" He then shrugs his shoulders, as does the manager and the bagger.

I say to the man again, "where's the mess?" He says, "stop talking to me and just move, your dog drooled and I'm not walking there until its cleaned-up!" Again, I look and see nothing. I can't wait for my stuff to be bagged and I proceed to leave, drooling dog in tow! I'm stopped at the door, by two women who say, "that guy is nuts and we couldn't see anything on the floor either!"

In the 16 years that I've had Service Dogs I have NEVER had this happen or ever had anyone complain about the very tiny bit of drool that may come out of our dogs mouth when they breath. Although, Horton is a bit droolier than Brenda used to be.

I guess I have to keep a towel with me to catch Horton's spittle while I'm out and about now! Maybe, as he gets older he's getting a bit more juicy! :confused:

How do you find the info on the port requirements? We are on a 54 day

Sounds like a wonderful cruise. Which cruise line will you be on? You can go to Pet Travel.com and they may have the information that you need.

If you don't find the answers that you're looking for come back here and be a bit more specific and one of our cruisers will be happy to answer all your good questions, if we can.

Also, there is a website called: Traveling With a Service Dog, it is very helpful. My only disclaimer is that there may be some advertising about buying SD vests or other equipment. I do NOT recommend that anyone purchase anything in regards to turning your pet into a SD.

REMEMBER: Bringing a "pet" onboard a cruise and trying to pass him/her off as a Service Dog will be found out and the penalties for doing so can be harsh. I've seen it first hand.

Hi. I am taking my guide dog on a cruise in April. Does anyone have experience with getting off the ship at the following ports? Aruba, Bonaire, Caracoa, Carta Hena and the Camen Islands? I am not sure where to start looking for permissions. I know I will get the health certificate and she has proof of rabies and a microchip. What else do I need to know? You all are very knowledgeable. Thanks.

This is the first time I’m taking my service Dog on a cruise. These are the ports I am stopping in:

You will need to contact the following ports regarding any necessary paperwork required for that country:

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Cruz Bay, St. John, U.S. Virgin Isl

Mindelo, Cape Verde

Praia, Ilha de Santiago, Cape Verde

Banjul, Gambia

Dakar, Senegal

Santa Cruz de La Palma, Canarias, S

Santa Cruz (Tenerife), Canary Islan

Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Agadir, Morocco

Casablanca, Morocco

Gibraltar, British Territory

Valencia, Spain

Barcelona, Spain

Mahon, Menorca, Spain

Monte Carlo, Monaco

Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Sorrento, Italy

Naples (Pompeii), Italy

Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy

Malaga, Spain

Cadiz (Seville), Spain

Lisbon, Portugal

Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel, Azores,

Praia di Vitoria, Terceira, Azores,

Horta, Azores, Portugal

Hamilton, Bermuda

I have been searching the internet to find out the requirements for each port. Any info would be Greatly appreciated.

This is the first time I’m taking my service Dog on a cruise. These are the ports I am stopping in:

You will need to contact the following ports regarding any necessary paperwork required for that country:

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Cruz Bay, St. John, U.S. Virgin Isl

Mindelo, Cape Verde

Praia, Ilha de Santiago, Cape Verde

Banjul, Gambia

Dakar, Senegal

Santa Cruz de La Palma, Canarias, S

Santa Cruz (Tenerife), Canary Islan

Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Agadir, Morocco

Casablanca, Morocco

Gibraltar, British Territory

Valencia, Spain

Barcelona, Spain

Mahon, Menorca, Spain

Monte Carlo, Monaco

Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Sorrento, Italy

Naples (Pompeii), Italy

Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy

Malaga, Spain

Cadiz (Seville), Spain

Lisbon, Portugal

Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel, Azores,

Praia di Vitoria, Terceira, Azores,

Horta, Azores, Portugal

Hamilton, Bermuda

I have been searching the internet to find out the requirements for each port. Any info would be Greatly appreciated.

If you are a US citizen, you will need to work with a knowledgeable vet accredited with the US Department of Agriculture’s APHIS program. Start far in advance of your departure date for a complex itinerary. Google “APHIS Pet Travel” for an overview and drop down menu of countries and their requirements. Even though a service dog is not a pet, usually the same rules apply for exporting your dog and importing into other countries (even temporarily as a ship passenger).

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel

Hi. I am taking my guide dog on a cruise in April. Does anyone have experience with getting off the ship at the following ports? Aruba, Bonaire, Caracoa, Carta Hena and the Camen Islands? I am not sure where to start looking for permissions. I know I will get the health certificate and she has proof of rabies and a microchip. What else do I need to know? You all are very knowledgeable. Thanks.

Once you've visited the Vet and received the Aphis 7001 form, which will give all the good information about your dog and his being current on all immunizations and is safe to travel, you've gotten what you will need for the above ports Unless some requirements have changed, it's a good idea to look up "Travel with a Service Dog" to the ports your visiting online for further information. You can download the form to take to the Vet with you, in case they don't have it. Remember, the Aphis form requires that your dog be on Heartguard and Nexguard [or some other form of flea and tick abatement.]

Also: Make sure that the Vet or his tech not use any abbreviations on the Aphis form.......Everything MUST be spelled out fully.

If you are a US citizen, you will need to work with a knowledgeable vet accredited with the US Department of Agriculture’s APHIS program. Start far in advance of your departure date for a complex itinerary. Google “APHIS Pet Travel” for an overview and drop down menu of countries and their requirements. Even though a service dog is not a pet, usually the same rules apply for exporting your dog and importing into other countries (even temporarily as a ship passenger).

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel

Excellent advice. Thank you, Chris!

Hi All!! Been very busy around here and i havent had a chance to check in.

Went on our cruise Jan 20th. Everything went pretty good. Flight good. When we got to our cabin, no box. Within a few minutes all the officers came in and after alittle yelling, the box was brought out onto our balcony. They did have the grass as requested. It was from California and was very wet since it was inside a plastic bag. Wex left wet dirty paw prints everywhere. I assumed they would just get a piece from a local landscaper. That said, he was happy and so were we. Great weather and another great cruise!

The flying days were rough. Our flight left 620am. Very long day. 15 hour travel days. I noticed that it was rough on Wex. I am not thinking of putting him through that again. That said... We just booked a Bermuda cruise out of Boston in May! Fifteen minute ride and we're on the boat. I think he can handle that. I am also thinking i might be able to get my own sod. Im going to look into it. Nothing like homegrown grass to pee on!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Went on our cruise Jan 20th. Everything went pretty good. Flight good. When we got to our cabin, no box. Within a few minutes all the officers came in and after alittle yelling, the box was brought out onto our balcony. They did have the grass as requested. It was from California and was very wet since it was inside a plastic bag. Wex left wet dirty paw prints everywhere. I assumed they would just get a piece from a local landscaper. That said, he was happy and so were we. Great weather and another great cruise!

The flying days were rough. Our flight left 620am. Very long day. 15 hour travel days. I noticed that it was rough on Wex. I am not thinking of putting him through that again. That said... We just booked a Bermuda cruise out of Boston in May! Fifteen minute ride and we're on the boat. I think he can handle that. I am also thinking i might be able to get my own sod. Im going to look into it. Nothing like homegrown grass to pee on!

Cindy, I'm glad that the bottom line was that you enjoyed your cruise. I know for a fact that Horton would not do well on a fly-to cruise. As it is, we're both exhausted when all I have to do is drive to the port the morning of the cruise.

I'm too old, too worn out and to out of shape to withstand the schlepping, dragging, climbing, parking, picking up, putting away and waiting. It doesn't matter how much help I get......there's ALWAYS some of the aforementioned to do and it's the part of the cruise I most dislike.

Until the muster drill is over and all mine & Horton's stuff is put away......I'm no where close to "cruise-mode!" Not until the first night's meal and show do I really feel like I'm onboard a cruise anyway!

I love the fifteen minute drive and your onboard......PERFECT! ;p

As long as Princess is going out of L.A., I'll book the cruise. There's enough places to see, enough ships to try for me not to get caught-up on the boredom train! :p

Sounds like you had a great time Cindy. Which airline did you fly and which cruise line?

Dianne

Cindy, I'm glad that the bottom line was that you enjoyed your cruise. I know for a fact that Horton would not do well on a fly-to cruise. As it is, we're both exhausted when all I have to do is drive to the port the morning of the cruise.

I'm too old, too worn out and to out of shape to withstand the schlepping, dragging, climbing, parking, picking up, putting away and waiting. It doesn't matter how much help I get......there's ALWAYS some of the aforementioned to do and it's the part of the cruise I most dislike.

Until the muster drill is over and all mine & Horton's stuff is put away......I'm no where close to "cruise-mode!" Not until the first night's meal and show do I really feel like I'm onboard a cruise anyway!

I love the fifteen minute drive and your onboard......PERFECT! ;p

As long as Princess is going out of L.A., I'll book the cruise. There's enough places to see, enough ships to try for me not to get caught-up on the boredom train! :p

Im the same way Roz!! Not until dinner do i relax. Im hoping without the traveling beforehand it will be a little more relaxing and easier on Wex.

Now my big thing is the grass. Can we ship things to the ship? Im probably being stupid but how heavy is a 3x4 piece of sod? Can i carry some on?

We flew Jetblue, the only airline we fly. And we went on NCL.

We flew Jet Blue for the first time last December. They were great! Once you explain to them

that you are traveling with someone in a wheelchair with a large service dog, they will work with you.

We are flying with them in October. We got row 5, one of their extra leg room rows. No extra charge.

With the extra leg room row you also get TSA Pre-check. They also have free drinks and snacks.

I was all ready to book a cruise for 2020 but we decided to re-do our bathroom instead. The cruise

will have to wait another year. But we are on the short list to get another CCI puppy to raise!! Hopefully

within the next couple of months. Gretel continues to be great!

Hi Cindy! Glad to hear you all had a great trip! Does Wex still enjoy traveling, just not the long flight days? We haven't ever flown with Gibson, only four hour car trips. Diana isn't up to big travel, and even the short ones are tough.

I am sitting watching an ice storm out the window, and on television waves at Maui Sands resort. (YouTube can be a wonderful thing.) My office was closed today, and all who could do so logged in from home. I'll try not to send this weather your direction.

Thanks,

Beckie

We flew Jet Blue for the first time last December. They were great! Once you explain to them

that you are traveling with someone in a wheelchair with a large service dog, they will work with you.

We are flying with them in October. We got row 5, one of their extra leg room rows. No extra charge.

With the extra leg room row you also get TSA Pre-check. They also have free drinks and snacks.

I was all ready to book a cruise for 2020 but we decided to re-do our bathroom instead. The cruise

will have to wait another year. But we are on the short list to get another CCI puppy to raise!! Hopefully

I think the bathroom is a good idea......the cruise ships aren't going anywhere. Getting another puppy is so exciting. Glad to hear that Gretel is a good fit. Do you see Orson walking through the house still? It amazes me how their spirits live on.....

Im the same way Roz!! Not until dinner do i relax. Im hoping without the traveling beforehand it will be a little more relaxing and easier on Wex.

Now my big thing is the grass. Can we ship things to the ship? Im probably being stupid but how heavy is a 3x4 piece of sod? Can i carry some on?

The actual sod is too heavy to schlep! Have you tried the artificial stuff? It rolls-up really nice, is easy to bring along and just lay it on top of whatever the cruise line uses. You can wash it off at the end, roll it up and place it into a large trash bag and bring it home. Or, do what I'm doing. I buy the artificial stuff [that comes in a roll at Osh.] It's very cheap, very light and I leave it behind. Horton loves it. You have to poke the drainage holes in it because it's more like the carpet and not the ground cover.

Horton loves the stuff and it's easy to lay on top of the ships lame choices for filler. It's very light so you have to be careful that it's placed well in the potty box, if used on your veranda, because the wind could pick it up and blow it around.

We have flown Jetblue for years. Always the best with John and Wex. We always get the bulkhead seats. Even with the extra room, Wex makes sure my legs are contorted for the flight. A few years ago we flew American to Miami because Jetblue doesnt fly there. Never again!! Now we fly to Ft Lauderdale and take the bus to Miami. So glad Gretel is doing great!!!!

We have flown Jetblue for years. Always the best with John and Wex. We always get the bulkhead seats. Even with the extra room, Wex makes sure my legs are contorted for the flight. A few years ago we flew American to Miami because Jetblue doesnt fly there. Never again!! Now we fly to Ft Lauderdale and take the bus to Miami. So glad Gretel is doing great!!!!

Hey! He's a tall boy! Just like Horton......There would NEVER be room for both of us! He's all legs!!!

Hi Cindy! Glad to hear you all had a great trip! Does Wex still enjoy traveling, just not the long flight days? We haven't ever flown with Gibson, only four hour car trips. Diana isn't up to big travel, and even the short ones are tough.

I am sitting watching an ice storm out the window, and on television waves at Maui Sands resort. (YouTube can be a wonderful thing.) My office was closed today, and all who could do so logged in from home. I'll try not to send this weather your direction.

Thanks,

Beckie

This year i noticed Wex out of sorts alittle. Its a long travel day. Up at 230am, in the car by 430am, flight at 620. Get to Ft Lauderdale around 10, get on the bus for the 30min ride to the ship. Check in, eat, go to cabin and before you know it, its muster drill time. Its tough for me never mind a 70yr old dog.

He likes the cruise and absolutely loves cruise ship beds!! He loves meeting new people!

The actual sod is too heavy to schlep! Have you tried the artificial stuff? It rolls-up really nice, is easy to bring along and just lay it on top of whatever the cruise line uses. You can wash it off at the end, roll it up and place it into a large trash bag and bring it home. Or, do what I'm doing. I buy the artificial stuff [that comes in a roll at Osh.] It's very cheap, very light and I leave it behind. Horton loves it. You have to poke the drainage holes in it because it's more like the carpet and not the ground cover.

Horton loves the stuff and it's easy to lay on top of the ships lame choices for filler. It's very light so you have to be careful that it's placed well in the potty box, if used on your veranda, because the wind could pick it up and blow it around.

Wex would rather jump overboard than use that fake grass. He absolutely hates it.

This year i noticed Wex out of sorts alittle. Its a long travel day. Up at 230am, in the car by 430am, flight at 620. Get to Ft Lauderdale around 10, get on the bus for the 30min ride to the ship. Check in, eat, go to cabin and before you know it, its muster drill time. Its tough for me never mind a 70yr old dog.

He likes the cruise and absolutely loves cruise ship beds!! He loves meeting new people!

Yep! When they're done, they sure let us know, don't they! I always say, "please Horty just one more, you can do it!"

Once I stop all the crazy running around and passing through TSA, picking up this and placing that on the conveyor belt, breaking my back so that Horton has all his food, toys, treats that he'll need or want for the next week or three on to the scanner. And then all the folks who want to check this and that and getting the box settled and his beloved water dish in place.......by then, he and I are so darn tired, just laying down for a nap sounds perfect! I should take this back.....I've done all the work as he just looks at me....Of course, I've pushed him hither and nigh and not given him more than a few minutes to really catch a goo sleep. He's so tired at the end of all this and he's not getting any younger, like his old mom!