Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

Isn't that ridiculous!  The potty box will ALWAYS be an issue for our dogs.  The placement on our veranda's is really the best place.  Second choice; the closest stairwell.

Unless your veranda is extremely small, the box can be placed off in a corner and since the solid wastes are picked up immediately, it really just becomes a square of green off in a corner.  Especially if you bring a piece of rolled-up, light weight patio cover [with holes cut in it for drainage], and place it on top of whatever filler the ship is using.  It stays in place, is very attractive to look at and is easy for the ship to remove at the end of the cruise.  It's not expensive and can be placed in a kitchen trash bag for easy packing in your suit case.

Really we have never had a problem with putting Shadow's box on our balcony.  The purser is the one to see.  Princess was the only one with an issue.

5 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Sumacs Momma, someone had the great suggestion of training at home.  I got the 2nd nature dog litter that Carnival uses and turf (another name for the green stuff), my husband made a box and we trained Halo to it.  November will be our first cruise with him, it has taken the stress of about that challenge.

My question.  As most of you have seen, Carnival is not being very helpful about putting the box on our balcony.  I usually get in inside room, I paid more so we could have the box on the balcony.  I will be ticked if the extra money was all for not.  Ok, rant over.  When on board, do I just talk to the guest services people or ask for the hotel manager?  And what should I say?

Thank you so much.

Linda and Halo

Carnival is very good about putting the box on your veranda. Have your TA email the ship and request that the box be placed on your veranda.   Princess will insist on putting it in a stairwell.  The moment you board the ship go to Guest Services and ask them to have someone show you where the box is.  If they tell you it's on your veranda, good!  If they give you a hard time insist on speaking with the Hotel Manager. 

They like to use the pellets so try to bring some cover so that your dog won't refuse to step on it.

5 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Sumacs Momma, someone had the great suggestion of training at home.  I got the 2nd nature dog litter that Carnival uses and turf (another name for the green stuff), my husband made a box and we trained Halo to it.  November will be our first cruise with him, it has taken the stress of about that challenge.

My question.  As most of you have seen, Carnival is not being very helpful about putting the box on our balcony.  I usually get in inside room, I paid more so we could have the box on the balcony.  I will be ticked if the extra money was all for not.  Ok, rant over.  When on board, do I just talk to the guest services people or ask for the hotel manager?  And what should I say?

Thank you so much.

Linda and Halo

This is what I say:  "I MUST have the box on my veranda because my dog has a weak bladder and after holding it all night he MUST be able to relieve himself as soon as possible and, having the box on my veranda will allow me and my Service Dog to have a more comfortable and pleasant cruising experience!"

We have also experienced the wind tunnel on Celebrity Summit and Constellation with our seeing eye dog, as the box is in a similar location, but outside against the bulkhead instead of in the hallway. We have had to get crew or strapping young men passengers to hold the door for us. Once we got to the box, there was no wind because it was against the wall. 

7 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Barb, I love your drawing of the Wind Tunnel. (Though can’t say I enjoy going there.) it will be interesting to see where they put the box on the new ship, The Edge. We’ll find out in January.

Thanks, Chris!

I'm looking forward to hearing about Edge.  We do not have her booked at thebresent time.

7 hours ago, MDTrip said:

We have also experienced the wind tunnel on Celebrity Summit and Constellation with our seeing eye dog, as the box is in a similar location, but outside against the bulkhead instead of in the hallway. We have had to get crew or strapping young men passengers to hold the door for us. Once we got to the box, there was no wind because it was against the wall. 

This makes me crazy.  The fact that the ship doesn't mind a blind person having to maneuver those doors going to an outside deck [which can be impossible for someone in a wheelchair, especially while the ship is moving and the wind is blowing], not to mention someone who can't see and is NOT familiar with the doors and doorways they have to maneuver. 

Once onboard the Star Princess they had me going over two large "lips" in two different door ways and I couldn't open either door myself.  I literally cried my way back to the Purser's Desk and would not leave the Guest Service's Desk until someone in charge came to talk to me........guess what......they put a box on my veranda and sent chocolate covered strawberries to my cabin to apologize for the inconvenience!  No one should have to go through so much aggravation to take care of their dog's needs!

This should NEVER be a struggle for us.....but, I'm afraid that the ships officers have been subjected to so many "fakes" that they find it hard to believe when they see a legitimate Service Dog!

My suggestion:  Stay calm, strong and insistent on having the box moved to the nearest stairwell if they insist that YOUR veranda is NEVER going to happen!

I will ask my TA to email the ship one week before I board to remind them that the box should be placed on my veranda or in the stairwell nearest my cabin.  I MUST have it placed before I board so that my dog can relieve himself immediately after we enter the ship.

15 hours ago, MDTrip said:

My first cruise with my dog was on Constellation, so I know exactly where you mean. When the doors leading there were marked “closed for passenger use due to unsafe conditions”, the officers told me to just duck under the caution tape and refused to move the relief box. There were no automatic doors, and it was quite difficult and dangerous to push open the heavy door into the wind and get dog+human through safely before the door slammed closed. And often hard to find crew men before dawn.

10 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

My first cruise with my dog was on Constellation, so I know exactly where you mean. When the doors leading there were marked “closed for passenger use due to unsafe conditions”, the officers told me to just duck under the caution tape and refused to move the relief box. There were no automatic doors, and it was quite difficult and dangerous to push open the heavy door into the wind and get dog+human through safely before the door slammed closed. And often hard to find crew men before dawn.

You know me......I'd be in the Hotel Manager's face and doing a "sit-in" at the Guest Services Desk until they moved the box.......Or, I would lay down my fake grass on top of some puddle pads [something I also bring along], on my veranda and would not remove it until they moved the darn box!!!!!!

What you went through onboard the Constellation is absolutely ridiculous and extremely ignorant on their part!!!!!

It's just maddening how the ship's officers allow this to happen.

For my CCI dog friends - here's the scoop on my friend Pat who just graduated from hearing dog Team Training at the Southeast Regional Orlando Campus. Her dog is Firenze, a yellow Lab boy. The other two people in her class were a woman receiving a successor dog named Marlene the 4th, and a young man who was matched with Pliny. (No black Labs were matched for this class.)  I loved watching the graduation video, and Pat was the speaker for her class. All three puppy raisers were there for the leash ceremony. 

CCI now separates the Orlando Team Training so that hearing dog recipients only train together, not with people having other disabilities, hence the small class. I hope they get lots of new hearing dog candidates for trainer Mary to work with.

Last Saturday Raylene and I had a table at a big Hearing Tech Expo sponsored by the Sarasota/Manatee Chapter of the Hearing Loss Association of America. I was so glad to see a CCI table, too - it was staffed by three puppy raisers in shifts throughout the day. Fun to meet and talk to them. One many has raised 18 CCI puppies!

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:43 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

For my CCI dog friends - here's the scoop on my friend Pat who just graduated from hearing dog Team Training at the Southeast Regional Orlando Campus. Her dog is Firenze, a yellow Lab boy. The other two people in her class were a woman receiving a successor dog named Marlene the 4th, and a young man who was matched with Pliny. (No black Labs were matched for this class.)  I loved watching the graduation video, and Pat was the speaker for her class. All three puppy raisers were there for the leash ceremony. 

CCI now separates the Orlando Team Training so that hearing dog recipients only train together, not with people having other disabilities, hence the small class. I hope they get lots of new hearing dog candidates for trainer Mary to work with.

Last Saturday Raylene and I had a table at a big Hearing Tech Expo sponsored by the Sarasota/Manatee Chapter of the Hearing Loss Association of America. I was so glad to see a CCI table, too - it was staffed by three puppy raisers in shifts throughout the day. Fun to meet and talk to them. One many has raised 18 CCI puppies!

Please tell your friend, "CONGRATULATIONS".....Her life will never be the same again.  I can't even imagine my life without a CCI dog in it.  No Black Labs...I can't imagine it!

I thought that ALL Hearing dogs were received out of the NW-Shultz Campus in Santa Rosa, CA.

15 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

This topic caught my eye and I clicked to the last page to see what was currently being discussed.  My question is, where in the stairwell do they place the box?  Is it an exit stairwell?  Just curious.

I don't know what you mean by "Exit" stairwell.  The stairwell's are used by the staff on a daily basis to get up and down on a ship.  They are also meant to be used in case of emergencies.

The stairwell's, no matter where they're located on a ship are huge.  They are in the forward, middle and aft of ALL ships.  There's lot's of room on them for a 4x4 box to be placed off in a corner without hindering the use of the stairs for coming and going.  They're also good because they keep the box out of the weather and away from the other passengers view.

As I've said before, I usually purchase a cabin [mini or regular suite] in the aft of most ships, allowing me to use the stairwell for the placement of the box.  Although, I do prefer my veranda, I'm ready to battle for the stairwell placement as well.

7 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I don't know what you mean by "Exit" stairwell.  The stairwell's are used by the staff on a daily basis to get up and down on a ship.  They are also meant to be used in case of emergencies.

The stairwell's, no matter where they're located on a ship are huge.  They are in the forward, middle and aft of ALL ships.  There's lot's of room on them for a 4x4 box to be placed off in a corner without hindering the use of the stairs for coming and going.  They're also good because they keep the box out of the weather and away from the other passengers view.

As I've said before, I usually purchase a cabin [mini or regular suite] in the aft of most ships, allowing me to use the stairwell for the placement of the box.  Although, I do prefer my veranda, I'm ready to battle for the stairwell placement as well.

Former firefighter here.  The "exit" stairwell is a path of egress and is to be kept clear as required by SOLAS and fire codes.  An exit stairwell is not to be to used for any purpose,  such as a doggie comfort box, other than as a means to allow people to move safely and without impedance from one level to another  There is no exception granted with regards to how wide it is or how much of the stairwell is blocked.  The width of stairwells are designed with regards to the occupant load of the area which they serve.

Sorry, but if I saw a stairwell being partially blocked with a 4x4 box, I would report it. 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:40 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Former firefighter here.  The "exit" stairwell is a path of egress and is to be kept clear as required by SOLAS and fire codes.  An exit stairwell is not to be to used for any purpose,  such as a doggie comfort box, other than as a means to allow people to move safely and without impedance from one level to another  There is no exception granted with regards to how wide it is or how much of the stairwell is blocked.  The width of stairwells are designed with regards to the occupant load of the area which they serve.

Sorry, but if I saw a stairwell being partially blocked with a 4x4 box, I would report it. 

As a person who is relegated to the "safety" issues of passengers.....where would you suggest that a "comfort" box be placed for a Service Dog onboard a ship?

Since I have cruised in excess of 30 times with a Service Dog and have personally witnessed the stairwells and ability to egress the area with a box in place, by the public, I must tell you this is extremely doable.  We even had a fire Captain, doing an inspection, approve the placement of Horton's box onboard the Island Princess.  I would prefer the box be on my own veranda for many reasons, not to mention that it would not impede the use of any public areas by other passengers and staff.

As I've mentioned many times, this is a conundrum for the ships.  That said, placing the box in an outside, non-public hallway, that is exposed to the weather and difficult to reach by the handler is NOT the best solution for all concerned either. 

Cruising is a wonderful form of vacationing for many handicapped folks.  It allows a feeling of safety and ability to attend many venues while being challenged to do so in the outside world.   

The fact that some of us MUST have a Service Dog to accompany us in performing daily tasks that are simple and easy for most means that we have to face the complications of the dogs comfort in order to have the pleasure of their service.  I either MUST have another human or my Service Dog with me so that I can do what is easy and doable for most.

If the public and the laws that dictate the safety of them predict how we, the hearing/visually and mobility challenged beings, who walk or wheel with Service Animals, can come and go in our daily lives with more ease.......then these laws MUST be addressed/manipulated and handled on a case by case basis, so that we ALL can fit into society more comfortably.....It means that the Fire Captains, Hotel Managers and Guest Services people onboard a cruise ship must extend and stretch the limits to accommodate a large conglomeration of passengers who do cruise and many who have been afraid to because of the inability of some ships to move the rules and limits to allow us ALL aboard.

All of the aforementioned is said with love and the kindness that it takes to handle our amazing dogs on a daily basis.  I am boarding the Emerald Princess on December 4th for 15 days and then the Ruby in February for 10 days.  "Horton" will be cruising with me because he goes where I go.  I hope that both ships will have his potty box in place and that my upcoming cruises are filled with the pleasure and fun that we get from the cruising experience.

We hope to see many of you onboard with us! :classic_smile:

On 11/3/2018 at 5:40 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Report it to whom?

On my last cruise, the location of the box was in a location that was occasionally closed due to weather. Yet my dog and I had to go out there, in a dangerous wind, for him to eliminate.

Additionally, that location is NOT accessible to someone in a wheelchair.  There is a doorway, but you must step over/through to get there.  It is for a physically able-bodied person only.

On my next cruise, I will likely be in a wheelchair.  The cruiseline must provide a location for my dog to eliminate.  That location MUST be accessible to me in a wheelchair.  This means they cannot put it where they usually do on the ship I'll be on.  They have to find an accessible location.  An interior stairwell may be accessible, and unlikely to be used other than in the event of an emergency.  In the unlikely event of an emergency, the box can be walked through or over by able-bodied individuals with no issue.

3 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Report it to whom?

On my last cruise, the location of the box was in a location that was occasionally closed due to weather. Yet my dog and I had to go out there, in a dangerous wind, for him to eliminate.

Additionally, that location is NOT accessible to someone in a wheelchair.  There is a doorway, but you must step over/through to get there.  It is for a physically able-bodied person only.

On my next cruise, I will likely be in a wheelchair.  The cruiseline must provide a location for my dog to eliminate.  That location MUST be accessible to me in a wheelchair.  This means they cannot put it where they usually do on the ship I'll be on.  They have to find an accessible location.  An interior stairwell may be accessible, and unlikely to be used other than in the event of an emergency.  In the unlikely event of an emergency, the box can be walked through or over by able-bodied individuals with no issue.

Barb, I suppose he's going to "report" it to the potty-box police.  Not to be judgmental;  Dear Joe "Q" Public, if you see a human struggling to assist his dog, please help him, by holding the door open, make room for them on the elevator, offer them the seat against the wall in the dining room, or simply smile and wish him/her a good cruise.

Our pressures can be more than one can bear on a daily basis but I promise you that one of them is not the love, dedication, devotion, hard working ethic and simple reward of companionship that our dogs bring to us.

First of all, in my experience in the fire and public safety profession,  Murphy's law applies.  I have helped inspect and design fire safety systems for a variety of occupancies - including those with large numbers of non-mobile and otherwise infirm residents.  My comments are also based on my experiences responding to structural fires and seeing first-hand what happens when fire codes are ignored.

Obstructed means of egress should be reported to guest relations first and that does not correct the issue, work your way up the ladder.  On-board staff are not trained in all aspects of fire safety,  such as the SOLAS requirements that paths of exit travel be maintained free of obstructions, and are often afraid to enforce them at the risk of upsetting a passenger and receiving a bad review.

There are no exceptions for such things as parking a mobilty scooter parked in the corridor.  A room steward or shipboard "Fire Captain" do not have the authority to grant waivers to SOLAS. 

6 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

An interior stairwell may be accessible, and unlikely to be used other than in the event of an emergency

The fact that an interior stairwell is unlikely to be used other than in an emergency is even more critical since an emergency that would require its use would send a higher occupant load in that direction.  All it takes is one person to trip over an obstruction and the first thing you know somebody gets trampled.  Just imagine the people at a muster drill all trying to use one stairway at the same time then add a little smoke and panic and see what happens.

I hope the cruise lines can find safe accommodations for you and all passengers.  Safe and happy cruising.

We all do hope the same, “that the cruise lines can find safe accommodations” for all passengers, including those with disabilities.

Improved policies for accessibility aboard ships came about partly because of a case that was ultimately decided by the US Supreme Court, which upheld a lower court ruling that cruise lines operating in US waters, including those with foreign flags, are subject to Title III  of the ADA which prohibits discrimination against disabled individuals.

Newer ships have fully accessible cabins and public areas, and sliding doors leading out to public decks. I recall the truly excellent public ladies’ room on Celebrity Cruises’ Reflection, with the best, most fully-accessible stall I’ve ever seen anywhere. It was easy to use for a person accompanied by a service dog which is rarely the case.

What was left off the plans for all cruise ships, old or brand-new? A safe, dry, accessible relief facility for dogs and their handlers. (The only constructed dog arrangement to my knowledge is Cunard Line’s Kennel cages sold to passengers with pets on transatlantic crossings).  

Service dog relief areas are an afterthought. Sometimes we arrive at ships and no one can advise where the box is located. Or we go to the designated space and the box doesn’t exist. Or there’s no wheelchair access. We ask to have the box moved to our balcony and must persist at length, pleading our case, and sometimes are eventually granted the request as a favor. On cruise lines I’ve sailed, even a sheltered deck area gets windy, wet, and slick. On some cruise lines, the box is placed in a very unsafe location where passengers with service dogs have been injured trying to make do with it.

Meanwhile, again thanks to federal law, airports with 10,000 or more annual enplanements since 2016 must provide relief facilities for dogs inside security. Airport managers presented with the new law found space and built safe relief stations. 

Edited by Caribbean Chris

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Meanwhile, again thanks to federal law, airports with 10,000 or more annual enplanements since 2016 must provide relief facilities for dogs inside security. Airport managers presented with the new law found space and built safe relief stations. 

The relief stations in the St. Louis, MO airport are wonderful!  
The one we saw in Phoenix was not bad, but small and stuffy and smelly.

Atlanta was good.  Very similar to STL.

Seattle in May was a piece of turf over some piddle pads.  I was surprised to see that.

Orlando you had to ask for someone to take you, and you went outside.

Columbus, OH is a piddle pad at the bottom of a secure elevator, so you have to get them to take you.  They do, no problem, but piddle pads are not the best solution.

I wish the relief stations on the ships were like the airport ones in the good airports!

I was ona Holland America cruising Inside Passage Alaska. There was a second Service Dog using my personal box which I bring my own cypress mulch for and that Handler failed to remove his dog’s solid waste from my dog’s box. 

I requested heavy duty trash bags (blue in video) put 2 of them under the desk then put a pee pad on them then cypress mulch on top and had my girl use that. I had stateroom attendants remove the chair for space saving.

I’ll attempt to attach the video showing her first void there. The video is dark to start and improves quickly.

Katie is a 55 lb English Pointer.

Edited by bgm209
Added dog size