Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

54 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Just wanted to say, Chavela and I will be cruising to Alaska the first of August. It is official. It will be my first with my service dog. She is old and can be stuck in her ways. I bought some bark chips and put it in a box and in her favorite place to pee but she is taking her time getting used to it. Roz did you say, bark or mulch? I have a cabin in the basement, so I have no idea where they will put her box. I plan to get some artificial turf and practice with that too. Do you know where they put the box if you don't have a veranda on Holland America on the Amsterdam? So many questions. It is not helping my PTSD to know I have so many things to worry about.  What if she has an accident, she shouldn't but we all have one once in a while? She will be in a totally strange area. I have heard they kick you off at the next port. Probably not true but still scary. I was told by the USDA lady that she can get off in all Alaskan ports and even Canada if we want, once we  have all the health forms on file. Do I need to carry them off the ship at each port? Thanks for understanding my first time nerves.

On Holland America they put the box forward on the promenade deck. 

2 minutes ago, rangeley said:

On Holland America they put the box forward on the promenade deck. 

Thank you, our cabin is two floors down at the front of the ship so it is just a quick trip up.  She is hairless so I hope the weather isn't too bad. What do you do if the weather gets bad and they close the promenade deck?

26 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Thank you, our cabin is two floors down at the front of the ship so it is just a quick trip up.  She is hairless so I hope the weather isn't too bad. What do you do if the weather gets bad and they close the promenade deck?

Its covered and out of the elements. We still made our way out there even if they closed it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lindaler said:

Just wanted to say, Chavela and I will be cruising to Alaska the first of August. It is official. It will be my first with my service dog. She is old and can be stuck in her ways. I bought some bark chips and put it in a box and in her favorite place to pee but she is taking her time getting used to it. Roz did you say, bark or mulch? I have a cabin in the basement, so I have no idea where they will put her box. I plan to get some artificial turf and practice with that too. Do you know where they put the box if you don't have a veranda on Holland America on the Amsterdam? So many questions. It is not helping my PTSD to know I have so many things to worry about.  What if she has an accident, she shouldn't but we all have one once in a while? She will be in a totally strange area. I have heard they kick you off at the next port. Probably not true but still scary. I was told by the USDA lady that she can get off in all Alaskan ports and even Canada if we want, once we  have all the health forms on file. Do I need to carry them off the ship at each port? Thanks for understanding my first time nerves.

lindaler, welcome!  

1.  Make at least 3 copies of Chavela's paperwork.  ALWAYS have a copy in your fanny pack or pocket to show anyone who may ask for I.D.  When you're ready to re-board after you've gone into port is when you may be asked for your dog's I.D., after the initial boarding process.  You may be asked to meet Immigration in a lounge before you may leave the ship at any given port visit.  They just want to personally meet your dog and go over your paperwork again.  Stay calm and ALWAYS make sure that Chavela is on her best behavior!  

2.  NO ONE will put you off the ship if your dog has an accident and NO ONE will separate you from your dog.   As long as you and your dog act in a professional manner you will have a wonderful cruising experience.......I promise!!!!! 

3.  If you don't have a veranda and have balance or walking issues you may ask that they place the box in a stairwell or in a crew closet near your cabin, or they will place the box on an outside deck [usually forward.]  You may have to open heavy doors and be prepared to go over raised areas on the deck or floor.  Make sure to tell the Passenger Services desk that you will need all access doors to the potty box to be kept UNLOCKED 24/7 for your use.  Be careful, because sometimes the crew wash down the deck near the box and it can get slippery.

4.  DO NOT USE HEAVY BARK or WOOD CHIPS for practice with your dog in a potty box.  The bark/chips can be sharp and hurt the dogs pads, therefore making them shy to use the box.  Use mulch/wood shavings/pea gravel.....anything easy to walk on or cover whatever your using with the artificial turf first [purchased at Lowe's.]

In over 25 cruises with Brenda and Horton only once did Brenda have an accident because I wasn't prepared to help her.  I learned to NEVER let her board without the chance to relieve herself first and wait on giving her water until I have the box in place!

When teaching your dog to use a potty box....make it fun, use treats and make sure that you finish the task on a positive note.  NEVER BE AGGRESSIVE OR ANGRY OR FRUSTRATED.  If it's not working right away, STOP....give it a break and try it again in an hour or so.  Make sure after your dog goes potty.....you literally throw a party!  Your life will be so much easier and more fun when your dog thinks that the potty box is just second nature for him/her!  It makes cruising so much easier when your dog thinks the box is natural.  😉

• Like 2

Switching routes & looking at Eastern Caribbean.  I know the requirements for Grand Turk but was wondering if anyone has cruised there & just not gotten off the ship to avoid the required paperwork?  The other ports are St Thomas (U.S), San Juan (U.S) and Amber Cove.  Dominican Republic doesn't seem too bad?

2 hours ago, rpclmc said:

I hadn't even thought of the going on command and in a box.  My trainer just focused on other things with us.  Then when she found out I travel and wanted to take him on cruises, she gave me suggestions.  However, the suggestions I have gotten from Roz have really made it easy.

I didn't take the potty pads last time to use, but will this time.  I am also going to train him to those.  Although most times I will have someone to assist me IF the relief box got put somewhere I couldn't manage to get to easily in my wheelchair, I will insist they accommodate me and not insist that my cabin mate potty him.  He is MY service dog and they have to accommodate me. 

My last Carnival TA suggested that someone else take care of him, either leave him at home or have someone potty him if I couldn't.  Then I found out she was telling others he was fake.  She has never met him.  To say the least she is NOT my TA and I won't be referring anyone to her.

Linda and Halo

Your TA needs a lesson in how to treat a customer!  Boy, I'd love 10 minutes with her and her supervisor!

You just keep up your wonderful attitude and continue to cruise and have fun with Halo!

2 hours ago, rangeley said:

Roz we have success!!! We decided to walk him around the promenade. I had a bed pad in my hand in case he decided to go. He didn't so we came back to the cabin and I brought him out on the balcony. He actually went right in and peed and then I made him go back in which ive done a hundred times this week and he spun around and went. Wooohoooo! We were dancing around, the kids were high fiving. Whew. That was a 26 hr wait. Figures he seems to be getting it now that we are going home. We were really worried about these 2 sea days home. We spent most of the day in the cabin worrying about him going somewhere around the ship. Tomorrow we had planned to take shifts with the kids in the cabin. We are so relieved. We can try to enjoy these next 2 days. 😀

He seems to like the cruise. He is so easy going and layed back. The opposite of Wexler. Wex was always a basket case. The people on here are another story. They are just horrible. He is new and John doesn't want people all over him. They are getting all ticked off. One lady got mad and went over to her group and gossiped about us and we were right there. Today he spoke to the lunch supervisor about the crew making kissy noises and talking to the dog. Most come up and say "I know we are not allowed to pet them" and then stand there talking to the dog. Then go away!!  We've been trying to find out of the way places to go where no one will bother us. He loves the balcony (Wex hated it) and comes out and lays down with us. Theres a chair in our cabin that hes adopted as his own. Been sleeping there day and night.. So besides the potty, he likes it. Lol

IMG_20190528_084656.jpg

IMG_20190527_164818.jpg

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!  I just knew that you would make it work......I'm so glad!  Now you have to keep your upcoming cruise....he's got it!!!!  OMG!  What a dork!  And, as if you didn't have enough to worry about with this diva.....you had to deal with crew and passengers who had to challenge you too!   I'm so sorry Cindy & John.....you both need a break from this vacation!

I hope that you got to enjoy some good days on this cruise.....Welcome Oakland!

2 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!  I just knew that you would make it work......I'm so glad!  Now you have to keep your upcoming cruise....he's got it!!!!  OMG!  What a dork!  And, as if you didn't have enough to worry about with this diva.....you had to deal with crew and passengers who had to challenge you too!   I'm so sorry Cindy & John.....you both need a break from this vacation!

I hope that you got to enjoy some good days on this cruise.....Welcome Oakland!

P.S.  I love the relaxing pictures.....Poor guy, he absolutely wore himself to a frazzle!  He looks like he did find the time to enjoy his cruise!

13 minutes ago, MelanieDyer said:

Switching routes & looking at Eastern Caribbean.  I know the requirements for Grand Turk but was wondering if anyone has cruised there & just not gotten off the ship to avoid the required paperwork?  The other ports are St Thomas (U.S), San Juan (U.S) and Amber Cove.  Dominican Republic doesn't seem too bad?

Melanie, we have lots of folks who have done these cruises and will come on to help you.  

2 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Melanie, we have lots of folks who have done these cruises and will come on to help you.  

P.S.  Melanie, in the interim go to google/chrome and put in "Aphis 7001 travel to the Caribbean."  You will be able to get all the good answers you need.

Happy cruising!

51 minutes ago, MelanieDyer said:

We have skipped getting off in Turk because of the paperwork a few times. One time they wanted to charge us. ☹️

Well day 6 and Oakland has finally figured it out. 😕  Alittle late but glad he didnt have to go 2 days without pooping. We might keep our cruise in January, not sure yet. 

Other than the potty problems, he's been the best dog ever!! He is so good, it's amazing. So well behaved and easy going. Couldn't be happier. 

Edited by rangeley
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Your TA needs a lesson in how to treat a customer!  Boy, I'd love 10 minutes with her and her supervisor!

You just keep up your wonderful attitude and continue to cruise and have fun with Halo!

I wish you could have at her.  She is a vindictive narcissist and I am actually a bit scared of her.

Linda and Halo

Well day 6 and Oakland has finally figured it out. 😕  Alittle late but glad he didnt have to go 2 days without pooping. We might keep our cruise in January, not sure yet. 

Other than the potty problems, he's been the best dog ever!! He is so good, it's amazing. So well behaved and easy going. Couldn't be happier. 

Good job Oakland - I hope you can enjoy your last couple of day stress free.

Dianne

38 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

I wish you could have at her.  She is a vindictive narcissist and I am actually a bit scared of her.

Linda and Halo

No way.......I'm so sorry that such a public person makes you feel this way.  Travel agencies are like any retail business, you may report them to the Better Business Bureau and certainly let her supervisor know of her poor behavior.  Fire her and give your money to someone else!

Yay!!!!!!  Where are you going in January and on what cruise line?  I want to cruise with you so badly......I want all the details and we'll see!

For any of you who have cruised NCL lately tell me how you like them.  I'm seeing some really good deals in 2020 on board the NCL Joy out of L.A.  I'd like to know about your experiences with them.  We did NCL Star years ago and it wasn't bad.  I'd like to hear more current info.

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

Just for bringing the dog on the island. $50.00 We told them forget it and stayed on the ship

I read on the permit they charge $50 but if you have a service dog they waive the fee.  I think we are going to go for it and hope for the best.    I wish the islands would come up with different rules for cruisers that are only there for the day.  Not make you follow the Import regulations.  You'd think they'd realize they are losing tourist money

2 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

No way.......I'm so sorry that such a public person makes you feel this way.  Travel agencies are like any retail business, you may report them to the Better Business Bureau and certainly let her supervisor know of her poor behavior.  Fire her and give your money to someone else!

I am already using someone else.

She is based out of Canada.  Does the BBB apply up there?  She is a Carnival specific TA.  I don't know who her supervisor is.

Linda and Halo

2 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Not just me, but several clients and a business partner have left her.  She is just horrible to everyone.  Acts really nice, then one finds out she is bad mouthing people behind their backs and talking about their finances, etc.  

Linda and Halo

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

I would love to cruise sometime with you guys. It would be great to have someone who knows what they are doing and has all the experience you have. 

I, too, would love to cruise with other SD's.  I've been lucky to have a few experiences with true SD's but I'm ashamed to say, I've had more with fakes!

1 hour ago, MelanieDyer said:

I read on the permit they charge $50 but if you have a service dog they waive the fee.  I think we are going to go for it and hope for the best.    I wish the islands would come up with different rules for cruisers that are only there for the day.  Not make you follow the Import regulations.  You'd think they'd realize they are losing tourist money.

Melanie, this is only one tenth of what you have to pay to get your SD into Hawaii, plus a Rabies Titer Test.  Not to mention what it cost to go to Europe, the cost of getting your dog into the EU is also ridiculous!  

The hoops and whistles to travel with our "medical equipment" can be too much for many to bear.