Shorts at Dinner???

bauerdogs

I was just looking at the FAQ's on the Azamara web site. It says Resort Casual Attire, and under what both Women & Men can wear to dinner, it's says shorts can be worn. I'm taking a group of 20 with me and I have been telling them "NO Shorts" at diner. Can someone tell me if they are accepted or not? Thank you, Ron

I was just looking at the FAQ's on the Azamara web site. It says Resort Casual Attire, and under what both Women & Men can wear to dinner, it's says shorts can be worn. I'm taking a group of 20 with me and I have been telling them "NO Shorts" at diner. Can someone tell me if they are accepted or not? Thank you, Ron

Ron,

I also read the FAQ on Azamara web site and it said shorts are allowed in the dining room.The site listed jeans,tank tops and bathing suits as not allowed in the dining room.I'd take a copy of the FAQ web page with me just in case you are stopped at the dining room.

Maybe for Bermuda they allow Bermuda shorts...

it is common on the Island to wear knee length shorts and long socks but men usually wear a jacket with them as well.

"Men

Sportswear, golf shirts, shorts, pants, sportcoat (if desired, but not required)

Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine " quoted from the Azamara FAQ's

the website specifically states sportcoat is not required! why would people be turned away at the dining room for wearing shorts if they indicate that it is perfectly acceptable to wear shorts? They are the ones defining "resort casual attire"

I think they would all feel more comfortable in long, light pants.

Only shorts we saw in dining room were on boys.

They can always change after dinner to be more comfortable.

Everthing is very close, the 4 elevators are quick and the stairs are easy as well.

Aqualina is special and well worth the effort to get reservations. Nice clothes there are appropriate.

Wish we were going again since we have such great memories.

I think most (all?) cruise lines try to dissuade shorts after 6pm. You can wear shorts in the dining room at breakfast and lunch, but not at dinner. That is why they are not listed on the website as not acceptable. I believe most times the daily news (onboard ship) lists no shorts in any public rooms after 6pm.

There are plenty of options for long pants - find some comfortable lightweight fabrics and enjoy!

One the May 19th cruise a group showed for dinner with one gentleman wearing shorts. He was turned away. His lady friend was wearing what could be considered shorts too, but she was allowed entry.

I really think the real issue here was not so much the shorts, but the t-shirt the gentleman was wearing.

Thanks to all of you---I just wanted to make sure I was not the only one that saw it. I told everyone Docker type pants, golf shirt, or button down shirt. I don't think anyone in our group will wear shorts, but if anyone saw it, they would be in the right to do it. Thanks again all.:) Ron

On the May 26th sailing we saw people being turned away for wearing shorts to dinner, even a small child, which was a bit over the top. You can wear shorts for breakfast and lunch, but not during the dinner serving.

Most men wore dockers, or slacks with a polo type shirt, or a standard button up shirt. Most ladies wore slacks, casual dresses, or skirts and blouses. We did see a few jackets, suites and even a Tux. Couple of nights we saw ladies in semi-formal and a few formal dresses.

Most people dressed up a bit more for Aqualina and Prime-C.

Enjoy!

Kel

There is a copy of the dress code in the "Journey Today" every day. It says:

Discoveries Dining Room and Aqualina/Prime C - No bare feet, jeans, caps, tank tops, or bathing suits are permitted in these areas. Shorts are not allowed during dinner.

Windows Cafe/Breeza - No bare feet are allowed. Tank tops and caps are not allowed during dinner.

I know that we saw some jeans in Discoveries during lunch even though it says no jeans though. We also saw people being turned away with shorts during dinner.

While there is NO posted dress code on the site, I follow the rule that shorts and jeans should NEVER be worn after 6pm or the beginning of the dinner period to the diningroom. It is normally allowed to wear shorts and jeans to breakfast and lunch, however I don't consider jeans to be "resort casual", I think they are simply everyday casual...and just the thought of wearing jeans in the caribbean makes me sweat.

I think the information posted on the site explains the overall code for the sailing with general exclusions.

So NO jeans or shorts in the diningrooms for dinner, or any other venue that requests certain dress.

I think Miamigirl814's post says it best.

Dave:eek:

As my very proper mother would say re: shorts at dinner, "It is simply not done!!!"...In this case, I think she'd be right.

murphysmum;)

Although I sent a reply yesterday, it seems not to have gotten posted, for whatever reason. However, I completely agree with your Mom.

Most people don't really care what another person is wearing to dinner, and with the relaxation of every single rule and regulation these days, it is somewhat difficult not to be influenced into believing that traditions are relics from the past and that no one need to pay attention.

Shorts, barely-there blouses & shirts, skirts that almost cover a backside, ties, no ties, jackets, no jackets; its all a muddle without inquiring on a moment-to-moment basis what is expected and anticipated.

My novel idea is to revert back to real cruising and rules that are meant to be followed. Strict dress codes which are followed diligently by all on board. Dressed-up for dinner, men w/jackets & ties, and no acceptance of "changing after dinner to be comfortable". For heaven's sake, a few hours "dressed-up" would do quite a number of people some real good.

It does appear, however, that shorts are not meant in the dining room at dinner time. Thanks goodness for some common sense.

Although I sent a reply yesterday' date=' it seems not to have gotten posted, for whatever reason. However, I completely agree with your Mom.

Most people don't really care what another person is wearing to dinner, and with the relaxation of every single rule and regulation these days, it is somewhat difficult not to be influenced into believing that traditions are relics from the past and that no one need to pay attention.

Shorts, barely-there blouses & shirts, skirts that almost cover a backside, ties, no ties, jackets, no jackets; its all a muddle without inquiring on a moment-to-moment basis what is expected and anticipated.

My novel idea is to revert back to real cruising and rules that are meant to be followed. Strict dress codes which are followed diligently by all on board. Dressed-up for dinner, men w/jackets & ties, and no acceptance of "changing after dinner to be comfortable". For heaven's sake, a few hours "dressed-up" would do quite a number of people some real good.

It does appear, however, that shorts are not meant in the dining room at dinner time. Thanks goodness for some common sense.[/quote']

We completely agree and we have only been cruisin since '80. Back then, one of the "awesome" things about cruising was the sight of all the elegant people on formal nights. Movie star gowns and leading men in tuxedos.

Some people are reading the dress codes as they wish they were/not as they are.

Hi Luckyladym, I don't know if my post is what you are referring to, but I am reading the definition of the dress code as it is listed! I am also a well seasoned cruiser and totally agree that the dining room is not the place to wear shorts, but the website clearly states that shorts are part of "resort casual attire" and that is the dress code for this ship and it does not specify certain times that certain attire can be worn! If someone were to read the faq's section they would believe that it is perfectly ok to wear the cruise lines definition of "resort casual attire" at any time while onboard! Again, I enjoy dressing for dinner, but if someone were to enter the dinning room in shorts it certainly would not impact my vacation whatsoever.

Thanks, Mymugsy. Right on :) It does say that, and I just don't want the younger ones to come down on me if they see that in print--LOL. I told them pants and shirt--I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't read the FAQ's :) Ron

We completely agree and we have only been cruisin since '80. Back then, one of the "awesome" things about cruising was the sight of all the elegant people on formal nights. Movie star gowns and leading men in tuxedos.

hmmmmmmmmmm sounds to me like the "some people are reading the dress code as they wish were/not as they are" would be you.I too looked on the website and couldnt find anything about no shorts in the dining room for dinner or after 6pm. Not that I would wear shorts at dinner....wait a minute I would as long as it didn't offend you....i must say i do have nice legs. Back to the point...after spending $4,000 with upgrades and all, I think i should be able to wear whatever i want to dinner. I prefer shorts and a tank top but you dont hear me complaining about those people who wear evening gowns and tuxedos to dinner.

Q.

What is the dress code onboard Azamara Cruises?

A.

Appropriate attire onboard Azamara Cruises is always resort casual; there aren't any scheduled formal nights. However, guests should always feel comfortable in wearing formal attire if they so desire. No bare feet, tank tops, caps, bathing suits, or jeans are allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants. Additionally, no tuxedo rentals will be available onboard.

Examples of Resort Casual Attire:

Women

Sportswear, shorts, casual dresses, skirts, pants

Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine

Men

Sportswear, golf shirts, shorts, pants, sportcoat (if desired, but not required)

Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine

The above has been cut & pasted from the Azamara Cruises website (not Celebrity's website, but Azamara). I added the "red". While it doesn't specifically state shorts ARE allowed in the dining room, it does not specifically EXCLUDE them either like it does with jeans, caps, tank tops, caps, etc.

While I honestly doubt that I or my husband will wear shorts in the dining room at night, I can see where many would think it would be OK. We're just thrilled there are no formal or semi-formal nights.

If clothes are nice and clean, I don't see what the problem is with respectable shorts. I didn't wear them, and I wasn't checking what other people wore. I am not the clothing police. Don't go asking me what respectable shorts are, figure it out.

The above has been cut & pasted from the Azamara Cruises website (not Celebrity's website, but Azamara). I added the "red". While it doesn't specifically state shorts ARE allowed in the dining room, it does not specifically EXCLUDE them either like it does with jeans, caps, tank tops, caps, etc.

While I honestly doubt that I or my husband will wear shorts in the dining room at night, I can see where many would think it would be OK. We're just thrilled there are no formal or semi-formal nights.

Just something else to add to the confusion of a start-up.

I think I just might write up Azamara as a business case study for my management students. :)

Whoops....I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes...so sorry. My point was only that shorts are allowed in the dining room..... for breakfast and lunch, but apparently from the reports we are getting, they are not permitting them at dinner.

I cannot say in all honesty that what someone wears to dinner does not bother me. I don't enjoy seeing tank tops or shorts at dinner. And as I have expressed earlier, I do miss the touch of glamour that cruising used to have.

I guess the problem is...they don't indicate anywhere how short or how long the shorts can be....or how low they can be worn...nuff said.

Archived