New York restaurant questions

We are doing a 3 night pre-cruise stay in NY and because we don't get to our hotel till early evening on the 1st night and not wanting to have to go too far to eat. I was hoping somebody could recommend some good restaurants near the New york Helmsley Hotel (212east 42st). We're not too bothered what cuisine(we like most things), but we don't want it too formal !:cool:

Also does anybody have any experience of the 'New York City Restaurant week' and if so, is it worth doing ??:cool:

Thanks in advance !!

I love restaurant week. It is so worth it, at least for me. I get to try great restaurants where the prices are doable when they are usually not. You typically would need a reservation, at least for dinner because the restaurants fill up fast. I'm not sure about lunch.

On or near 42nd Street East side, there will be tons of restaurants along Third Avenue going either up or down. Check out:

http://www.menupages.com

This way you can pick what kind of cuisine, neighborhood, etc... It should help you decide. Once you pick out what you like, then post again so we can give you our opinions of the restaurant.

Thanks for the good tips so far. Keep them coming :cool:

Any recommendations for chinese or mediterranean near the Helmsley(42nd street):):)..... and where should I be going for breakfast (typical NY please)

Once again thanks for the help !!

i guess this is my area of expertise. for chinese...you should look nowhere, but chinatown. however, bring cash as there are large numbers of cash only restaurants. there is no way you can break the bank down here and still have authentic chinese cuisine.

i recommend Hop Kee on Mott St. it's no frills. you go there to eat, and that's all. nothing fancy about decor. been going here for 34 years.

others also suggst Wo Hop (just down the street from Hop Kee). if you prefer a nicer place...Mr. Tang's also on Mott Street is a good choice. the wonton garden is a noodle house closer to the beginning of Mott Street, off Canal. tiny place where you rub elbows with your neighbor....but the food is simple, yet EXCELLENT!

take a look at all the roasted duck and pork hanging in the windows....it's a sight to see!!!

Thanks for the good tips so far. Keep them coming :cool:

Any recommendations for chinese or mediterranean near the Helmsley(42nd street):):)..... and where should I be going for breakfast (typical NY please)

Once again thanks for the help !!

List of Chinese restaurants in East 30's and 40's.

http://menupages.com/restaurants.asp?areaid=0&cuisineid=18&neighborhoodid=2&AdvancedResturantIds=

http://menupages.com/restaurants.asp?areaid=0&cuisineid=18&neighborhoodid=1&AdvancedResturantIds=

List of bagel places in East 30's and 40's (typical New York breakfast).

http://menupages.com/restaurants.asp?areaid=0&cuisineid=8&neighborhoodid=1&AdvancedResturantIds=

http://menupages.com/restaurants.asp?areaid=0&cuisineid=8&neighborhoodid=1&AdvancedResturantIds=

List of diners in East 30's and 40's (another typical New York breakfast.)

http://menupages.com/restaurants.asp?areaid=0&cuisineid=22&neighborhoodid=2&AdvancedResturantIds=

http://menupages.com/restaurants.asp?areaid=0&cuisineid=22&neighborhoodid=1&AdvancedResturantIds=

Can anyone explain what Restaurant week is please? :)

Restaurant week(its actually two weeks) is when many higher end and some mid level restaurants in NY has special less expensive menus to encourage people who haven't eating there before to come. Limited seating and they tend to fill up...

here is a website to find them all

http://www.nycvisit.com/

PS I dislike the Palm....try Peter Lugar's for a real steak restaurant(cash only or Peter Lugar's credit card).

but 21 is on the list which really is a New York experience.

Can anyone explain what Restaurant week is please? :)

As Smeyer wrote - really fabulous and pretty expensive restaurants that run prix-fix specials for restaurant week. Usually the restaurants are pretty untouchable. You really need to make reservations. If you can be here for restaurant week it is a must do.

CARMINE'S, in the theater district! :) :)

Carmine's is also on the upper west side, Broadway between 90th and 91st. There are much better restaurants in my opinion.

i guess this is my area of expertise. for chinese...you should look nowhere, but chinatown. however, bring cash as there are large numbers of cash only restaurants. there is no way you can break the bank down here and still have authentic chinese cuisine.

i recommend Hop Kee on Mott St. it's no frills. you go there to eat, and that's all. nothing fancy about decor. been going here for 34 years.

others also suggst Wo Hop (just down the street from Hop Kee). if you prefer a nicer place...Mr. Tang's also on Mott Street is a good choice. the wonton garden is a noodle house closer to the beginning of Mott Street, off Canal. tiny place where you rub elbows with your neighbor....but the food is simple, yet EXCELLENT!

take a look at all the roasted duck and pork hanging in the windows....it's a sight to see!!!

If you go to Wo Hop, go to the restaurant in the basement, not the one on street level. The food is much better in the basement restaurant.

Another nice restaurant that is not too expensive is Langans on 47th St.

If you go to Wo Hop, go to the restaurant in the basement, not the one on street level. The food is much better in the basement restaurant.

Another nice restaurant that is not too expensive is Langans on 47th St.

somethings about those basement restaurants. my favorite are the chinese "escargot".

Namegame.... you say there are much better restaurants than Carmines.... we'll be there Sept 14 for just one day.... where shall we dine???

here's the beauty that is NYC.

with millions of people having different tastes and preferences...you can truly find something that suites your tastebuds.

i mentioned Little Italy in the other thread. try Ferrara's...that could be good as any. (a friend of mine sings there).

ZoneHPH, We are just so excited to visit... we WILL go back when we have more time... okay, I'm gonna mention Ferrara's to the "gang".

yeah it's a nice lunch place, but definitely a dessert place. can be your starting point (or finishing point) to a fantastic meal.

http://www.ferraracafe.com/

(just like in Boston...people flock to Mike's Pastries)

ZoneHPH, thanks so much. Found Ferrara website... didn't see an address. We are THERE for dessert! Do you know lots about Boston? that is our first stop on our New England cruise... we have done the Boston history stuff and can't find much to do there EXCEPT history. We're doing the pub crawl in Halifax, but can't find anything fun like that in Boston... thinking of the ducktour thing...

ZoneHPH, thanks so much. Found Ferrara website... didn't see an address. We are THERE for dessert! Do you know lots about Boston? that is our first stop on our New England cruise... we have done the Boston history stuff and can't find much to do there EXCEPT history. We're doing the pub crawl in Halifax, but can't find anything fun like that in Boston... thinking of the ducktour thing...

the ducktour thing is nice also in boston. but why would you NOT do your own pub crawl in boston? to me that would make more sense?!??!?! hehehehe

i lived in foxboro, ma for 6 years. can't say i know boston like i do NYC...but i know enough. the area around kenmore square is nice because Boston Beerworks, Cask & Flaggon (you can see the sign in the movie Fever Pitch in one scene)...those were my hangouts.

Commonwealth Brewery is near the area known as Faneuil Hall...and outdoor market place with tons of eateries. here i would HAVE to recommend Durgin Park. order the Durgin cut prime rib (it mimics Fred Flintstone's brontosaurus steak)...it's HUGE!!! try that as a surf and turf!!! oh my!

ZoneHPH, I'm SOOOO glad I asked!! this sounds perfect! I'll forward to everyone and see what we come up with! We're all about sun & sand & beer.... but New England is too good to pass up!

i dunno about the NE cruises and how long you have in port. i don't even know where the ship would dock. in fact...i think boston is far WORSE than nyc when it comes to accessibility.

NYC is a grid until you get to lower manhattan.

Boston is mostly "like lower manhattan" and only a small section of grid known as Back Bay (Prudential tower, Copley Plaza, Newbury Street - boston's 5th Ave).

but i would defer to someone who lives there. my memory only goes from boston circa 1994-2000

Commonwealth Brewery is near the area known as Faneuil Hall...and outdoor market place with tons of eateries. here i would HAVE to recommend Durgin Park. order the Durgin cut prime rib (it mimics Fred Flintstone's brontosaurus steak)...it's HUGE!!! try that as a surf and turf!!! oh my!

I absolutely agree with Zone's advice to try Durgin Park.

Archived