Seabourn Legend New Entertainment

dmb707

Hi all just back from 2 weeks on the Legend and thought that I would post and let you know about new entertainment that was introduced on my cruise.

There is now one Cruise Director Michelle and no assistant CD's, plus the existing 4 piece band has been replaced by an excellent band who are from the Philipines and are very very good they have a male and female singer who are both talented and enthusiastic and they can play quite happily for an hour or more without a break, which is far better than the old 4 piece band that used to play for maybe a max 30 mins and look bored rigid!!

On our first sailaway they set the band up on top of the whirlpools and everyone was dancing away as we left Rome, this happened on a few other sailaways as well and everyone I spoke to enjoyed them enormously.

The other changes are that there is now a DJ who follows on after the band, or the duo Everest have finished, he was either up at the Sky Bar or in The Club every night, also there is a very good classical guitarist who played at afternoon tea and also in the observation lounge every night after dinner, and sometimes in the Verrandah Cafe of a night.

The duo Everest were also very talented and both they and the band played together a few times, which was very enjoyable.

Michelle had one show per week in the King Olave lounge but apart from that none of the old tired shows that we have had for the last few years which was a welcome relief.

They still had name that tune in The Club one evening a week, movie under the stars and films on the first and last night, but lots of alternatives with the band and Everest on.

To be honest you did not miss the assistant CD's everything ran very smoothly and the new entertainment was a breath of fresh air and very enjoyable and I can't wait for it to be rolled out on the other 2 ships.

The cruise was as good as ever and all the crew worked very hard to make sure that everyone had a fabulous time, tastings at 2 is very good and i really enjoyed those evenings, also the food in the restaurant was excellent as well it is just unfortunate that they don't ditch the Charlie Palmer menu's and let the talented chef's on board create new menu's, they have shown it can be done in tastings at 2, so i can't work out why they don't try in the restaurant.

Any further questions on the new entertainment let me know and i will try and answer them.

deb

Thanks, Deb. Last year on the Pride the band was on the jacuzzis for the sail-away and it worked very well. More room at the SkyBar for us boozers.

Curious to know, who was your Captain and Hotel Manager and Maitre d'? Did you have some enrichment lectures? Now I won't feel guilty for missing the ACD's shows!

I know, I should be able to wait two weeks, shouldn't I? My luggage gets picked up this week, so I am in my Seabourn mode.

Over time, I have become personal friends with several ACDs and band members and will miss seeing them on the ship. I think they added much more than simple "entertainment." While change is often good and hopefully the passengers will enjoy the new entertainment, I also believe there was a cost factor in this change. I suspect a Filipino band and a part-time DJ will cost less than two full-time ACDs and the previous band. Similar motives were behind Radisson/Regent's change from European cabin staff to Filipino stateroom attendants a couple of years ago.

Hi Jane

sorry I do not know how to highlight the bit you asked (which shows in blue any suggestions?) but the answers are as follows

Captain is Erik Andersson (the old Seabourn Captain that has come back from Seadream!) very sociable and visable!

Hotel Manager is Jorge Grossman

Maitre d' is Luca

Chef is Markus from the Pride (not sure if you wanted that one???)

I shall be interested to hear your review of the Croatian ports as I will be doing those on the Spirit in August did not see until recently that the Legend was doing it as well

any other info you think of re: crew let me know

deb

Over time, I have become personal friends with several ACDs and band members and will miss seeing them on the ship. I think they added much more than simple "entertainment." While change is often good and hopefully the passengers will enjoy the new entertainment, I also believe there was a cost factor in this change. I suspect a Filipino band and a part-time DJ will cost less than two full-time ACDs and the previous band. Similar motives were behind Radisson/Regent's change from European cabin staff to Filipino stateroom attendants a couple of years ago.

Cruisey Guy I don't think this is a cost cutting change, DJ is not part time and mingles round the boat a lot of time so very visable in the day like an assistant CD, ok they may get 6 members of the band for the same price as the previous 4 but they also have a classical guitarist, both the DJ and Guitarist host tables of an evening.

I would also add the last time I was on the Legend and Eric was the Cruise Director we very rarely saw him on deck or around the only time in the day was at trivia and then we had the grand entrance!!!!

deb

Sorry Jane i have just seen that you asked about enrichment lecturers we had none onboard, we were told that they are now only on winter cruises the same as guest entertainers, as the cruises are sold out and I assume they need the additional cabins?

deb

Thanks for the reviews Deb. It sounds like a nice change and not TOO drastic. Did the DJ have a wide selection of music, I'm assuming he took requests. How was he personality-wise?

yes the DJ had a very wide range of music and was more than happy for requests, personality wise very friendly and approachable, if you like dancing you will have a great time

deb

Thanks, Deb for the update. You are right, Captain Andersson is really a charmer. Of course, the others are all favorites too. That's one of the wonderful things about Seabourn, I look forward to seeing 'old' friends and making new ones.

And, CruiseGuy, I agree that the asst CD's were quite amiable and I enjoyed getting to know them. But perhaps with the new ships, they will return as CD's. And a DJ has a lot of flexibility. I wonder, was there a 'Rock the Boat' after a deck buffet?

Nothing stays the same, change is inevitable, although we do try and resist it.

Guest entertainers and enrichment lecturers used to be an integral part of the Seabourn product. In other words, they were part of the package you were paying premium $$$ for. Are you saying they are onboard now only when space is available?

>" ...we were told that they are now only on winter cruises"

I guess that with very port-intensive cruises, there is no really good time for a lecturer to present. But in some of the parts of the world where I am going (Middle East and South America) I am hoping to learn more. (And, I just told Granny Lorr not to worry about not reading the Canal book because there will be lectures!) Perhaps it will be somewhat dependent on the number of sea days?

Thanks again for your updates.

The change in entertainment is in response to the consistent request from guests for a change in entertainment; it is not, in any fashion, a cost savings measure.

Let's review: (A) There is now an energetic and personable band with a broad repertoire, (B) a DJ that plays actually good music responding to requests from the guests, and © a classical guitarist; and (D) a duo...plus the Cruise Director for generally less than 200 guests.

I think that is a reason to be pleased; not a reason to try to find some fault.

Yes, some of the Assistant Cruise Directors were very nice and some guests found them an joyful part of their cruise, but it doesn't sound like the new alternatives are impersonal gits. I would think meeting them first and then commenting would be fairer. (For perspective, how may unsociable people has Seabourn ever put on it ships? I think I am going to enjoy my cruise on Sept. 29th...possibly even a bit more.)

Yes there is still the "rock the boat show" after the deck barbie!

as far as I am aware it is just the summer med cruises that will not have the enrichment lecturers and guest entertainers, I believe that the other cruises will still have them ie panama cananl, prob the baltic etc

Iamaboatman i could not agree further with your comments

deb

Can anyone clarify if the entertainment changes are only on the Legend or is this ship-wide? :confused:

Matt I was told onboard that it was going to be ship wide but not until probably September time,

deb

Although I have made friends with many ACDs, some of their shows left much to be desired and audiences were often small. I look forward to the changes--hope they will be in place on my October 19 Pride cruise. Is anyone else on board?

Winnie

PS: I, too, wish that Charlie Palmer's menus would be retired!

Interesting changes. If there's only a CD, what about Trivia and afternoon golf etc? Have they abandoned these?

No Trivia and afternoon golf are still there, CD and DJ do Trivia and DJ and guitarist do the golf

Let's hope at least that Eric's roller skates will be going into dry dock. They need an overhaul as do his shows and routines. The crowd hasn't been going wild for a long time. I, for one, will not miss the ACD's tired renderings of other peoples' music. I look forward to the new format on the Legend.

Two questions. Who will be in charge of golf putting? And will the CD now have to ask all the trivia questions by herself (or himself?)

It absolutely is not a cost savings...in intent or actuality.

Seabourn, I am sure, is pleased with the positive initial reports, but that doesn't mean it will not be tweaked. I do not know that it has definitively been decided it will be rolled out onto the other two ships or when. However, I think it is a strong probability.

Archived