NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Call and tell them you have enough points and would like to do a double meta and see what they can do. They can reprice, move , adjust and can make it happen if......you get a good report on phone. If they sound unknowledgeable call back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

I actually don't have enough points for a double Meta upgrade. But for me being put into the GTY balcony ended up being a good gamble. I was awarded a BB category this morning on deck 10. Merely 24 hours after I traded up! I mentioned earlier I am also eligible for NCL's upgrade offer but ironically, it clearly states I am an IV to Balc upgrade but can only upgrade to balcony ([emoji848]) or mini suite. I will stay put! But wanted to share this amazing news with all of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I actually don't have enough points for a double Meta upgrade. But for me being put into the GTY balcony ended up being a good gamble. I was awarded a BB category this morning on deck 10. Merely 24 hours after I traded up! I mentioned earlier I am also eligible for NCL's upgrade offer but ironically, it clearly states I am an IV to Balc upgrade but can only upgrade to balcony ([emoji848]) or mini suite. I will stay put! But wanted to share this amazing news with all of you.

Were you originally booked in an IV or an OV? You said you had an IV to balcony upgrade but you said you didn't have enough points for double meta so I am confused.

Did your upgrade bid offer come before or after you did the world points upgrade?

Were you originally booked in an IV or an OV? You said you had an IV to balcony upgrade but you said you didn't have enough points for double meta so I am confused.

Did your upgrade bid offer come before or after you did the world points upgrade?

My auto correct messed that up! I originally booked an "OV" in its lowest category on Jade. I will sail away in approximately 6 weeks. I was unaware of meta upgrades for 30,000 points (I currently have around 36,000) until I began reading this thread. I was originally looking forward to the upgrade program & was rudely validated that due to my TA's "coding" for my cruise I was ineligible to get an upgrade offer. Apparently the code she used made me ineligible due to it's discounted price (near 16% off base rate). So I was attempting to learn how to get an upgrade when I found this thread.

As I learned about meta upgrading as opposed to asking for OBC (I originally planned to have it applied to my account before we set sail) I gathered enough information to call my TA to see about getting my booking recoded so I could use World Points to meta upgrade. She figured it all out, and recoded my booking. I called World Points to meta upgrade, which equates to a BD gty due to how close sail date is. I received (today, and less than 24 hours after the call) my stateroom # which is a BB category on deck 10!

I had the upgrade offer within 12 hours of my TA recoding my reservation. Ironically my confirmation email lists this new reservation as an "upgrade from OK category to BB balcony GTY" BUT I am somehow eligible to upgrade either to a balcony (Huh???) or a Mini suite accordingly. I am now calling it a day with a coveted BB!!! I hope this is clear to everyone. Confusing I know, but all is well that ends well. Cheers!

OK I think what happened is this:

TA recoded the reservation

Bid system initiated - sees your booking as an OV and creates options to upgrade up to 2 levels (balcony or minisuite)

You upgraded via world points

Bid email sent out

So I'm guessing that's why you got Balcony/minisuite options even though you are in a balcony. I did my oceanview to balcony upgrade well before final payment and then at 80 days the system saw me in a balcony and offered me minisuites and suites.

From another thread...

Much was saved by booking the November, 2018 NCL Bliss Panama Cruise early in July, 2017.

Booked an inside cabin, then used our NCL Bank of America Credit Card points

to do a Double Meta Upgrade to a BA(now at $2,779 pp) for the price of an inside cabin ($1,449 pp)

Edited by $hip$hape

OK I think what happened is this:

TA recoded the reservation

Bid system initiated - sees your booking as an OV and creates options to upgrade up to 2 levels (balcony or minisuite)

You upgraded via world points

Bid email sent out

So I'm guessing that's why you got Balcony/minisuite options even though you are in a balcony. I did my oceanview to balcony upgrade well before final payment and then at 80 days the system saw me in a balcony and offered me minisuites and suites.

This is so interesting to me. I am sure you are right. And my reservation has fully worked itself out in the system as I just received an email a few hours ago that has fully offered me to "upgrade" to mini suite or any suite I care to bid on! This is exciting stuff to be invited to as I now feel I understand the process for the future. But will settle happily with my balcony.

I again appreciate everyone's knowledge on this World Points process. Had I not stumbled upon this thread I almost certainly would have just called to add OBC. It didn't even occur to me to have it as statement credit. Let alone a Meta upgrade that saved me $100's (Much more than the $300 statement value).

I didn't know about the upgrade at first either. I think I took out about $150 in OBC. Oh well! I now have done 3 cross meta upgrades (sailed one last year and have one coming up this year and one next year). It helps a LOT!

Here's a question unrelated to World Points but valid nonetheless. If you book a family inside , then use a double Meta upgrade to balcony, do you only get one promo? Just curious in case I can manage that many points to even have this option.

Here's a question unrelated to World Points but valid nonetheless. If you book a family inside , then use a double Meta upgrade to balcony, do you only get one promo? Just curious in case I can manage that many points to even have this option.

Yes as a rule.

They list the new room as a free or complimentary upgrade.

Would be nice though.

I recently booked a distinct voyage that came with 5 perks in an inside and double meta to a balcony.

Steve

Yes as a rule.

They list the new room as a free or complimentary upgrade.

Would be nice though.

I recently booked a distinct voyage that came with 5 perks in an inside and double meta to a balcony.

Steve

This makes sense and I appreciate that this lesson was so patiently taught. We don't cruise as often as a lot of the folks in this site so I won't easily earn the necessary points to double Meta upgrade. But will keep it all in mind. Again thanks everyone who was so helpful to me. I wouldn't have gotten my upgrade without this thread.

I've never used my points for the OV to Balcony upgrade, but, I do have enough now and hoping to do a double before we cruise again. Here's my question: If I book for the upgrade from ov to balcony and NCL runs a special to book a balcony for an ov rate, would they redeposit my points so I could take advantage of the special?

Sometimes I wonder if using points for the upgrade is worth it when they run the specials with getting the onboard credits and other perks with the booking.

I've never used my points for the OV to Balcony upgrade, but, I do have enough now and hoping to do a double before we cruise again. Here's my question: If I book for the upgrade from ov to balcony and NCL runs a special to book a balcony for an ov rate, would they redeposit my points so I could take advantage of the special?

Sometimes I wonder if using points for the upgrade is worth it when they run the specials with getting the onboard credits and other perks with the booking.

They can reprice before final payment. Or just book new ,cancel old and then apply points

I have saved $5000+ each on 2 cruises using double meta.

Steve

They can reprice before final payment. Or just book new ,cancel old and then apply points

I have saved $5000+ each on 2 cruises using double meta.

Steve

Thank you, Steve! I'm hoping to cruise in Sept or Oct. if the price drops. Right now, even the inside cabins rate is high! So, if I book using the meta upgrade and possibly decide that because the deal is better if I don't use points, they will redeposit my points???

Thank you, Steve! I'm hoping to cruise in Sept or Oct. if the price drops. Right now, even the inside cabins rate is high! So, if I book using the meta upgrade and possibly decide that because the deal is better if I don't use points, they will redeposit my points???

Yes, they either re price or cancel and rebook

When you book the inside and then do the double meta upgrade, will I be able to select my balcony cabin or do they assign you one?

You can pick one. Since you're doing the upgrade on the phone, they will tell you what rooms are available for your new cat so just ask for the one you want.

Not sure this is a reply, but could find no other way to post this.

We decided to get an ncl rewards card, as it made sense to build up money off future cruises. All was fine until recently we purchased 4 airline tickets on line through a .com site (I know the are a separate company, but we brought from Norwegian air) and paid in dollars on our card. When we got the bill we were charged by Bank of America a 3% foreign transaction fee. They said that although we paid in dollars they are a foreign company. So it seems pointless to have a rewards card when you will be, by this logic, charged a 3% fee when you book a ncl cruise on the card to get a 3% reward from ncl Of course we lost 2% on the airline tickets. The supervisor at Bank of America said that she didn't know, how in the future, I could tell if the .com site I use and pay in dollars could possibly be foreign company. I wii write to ncl to complain about promoting a card that penalizes a foreign company, when they are a foreign company themselves. We enjoy cruising on ncl but will no longer use their card, which is sad for us, not to get cruise rewards. Oh well back to gift cards to use instead with our old card. I just don't want other people to get the card, and be shocked, as we were, with foreign transaction fees.

Not sure this is a reply, but could find no other way to post this.

We decided to get an ncl rewards card, as it made sense to build up money off future cruises. All was fine until recently we purchased 4 airline tickets on line through a .com site (I know the are a separate company, but we brought from Norwegian air) and paid in dollars on our card. When we got the bill we were charged by Bank of America a 3% foreign transaction fee. They said that although we paid in dollars they are a foreign company. So it seems pointless to have a rewards card when you will be, by this logic, charged a 3% fee when you book a ncl cruise on the card to get a 3% reward from ncl Of course we lost 2% on the airline tickets. The supervisor at Bank of America said that she didn't know, how in the future, I could tell if the .com site I use and pay in dollars could possibly be foreign company. I wii write to ncl to complain about promoting a card that penalizes a foreign company, when they are a foreign company themselves. We enjoy cruising on ncl but will no longer use their card, which is sad for us, not to get cruise rewards. Oh well back to gift cards to use instead with our old card. I just don't want other people to get the card, and be shocked, as we were, with foreign transaction fees.

I am confused??? You booked airline tickets on a company from Norway call Norwegian air and used a credit card from BOA associated with Norwegian cruise lines company, which is a totally different company and business?

Then you booked a cruise thru Norwegian cruises and you were charged 3 percent? Are you from USA or Norway?

I am guessing you were charged the 3 percent on the air and you are from the US.

You assumed the air company was part of the cruise company.

Steve

Hi

No we are in the US. We have a BOA NCL rewards card.

We brought on Norwegianair.com airline tickets (as stated, I know Norwegian air are not part of NCL) and paid in US dollars. (NB: All air fares are quoted in dollars)

When we received our card statement the airline tickets we brought in the US (from a US site using US dollars) we were charged a "foreign transaction fee" even though we paid in dollars NOT Kroner.

The supervisor said that anytime we use the card to buy from a non US company we get a "foreign transaction fee" so IF I booked a cruise with Norwegian on my NCL (BOA) card, then they will consider them a foreign company - even though I pay in dollars.

My question is why would NCL promote a rewards card from BOA when they will charge a "foreign transaction fee" for using said card with a NON US company?

How can BOA justify a "foreign transaction fee" when I paid in dollars (I am pretty sure Norwegian air have a US bank account and if they want to covert their dollars to kroner, then they would pay the transaction fee)?

I sort of wonder if I brought some furniture from IKEA in my local store, would I also get charged a "foreign transaction fee" as they are a foreign company (Swedish I believe)

My point is - did BOA charge the fees to "get rid of me" as I pay in full every month, or do they do this to everyone who has a NCL BOA card?

Just never heard of this before and all BOA card services supervisor would say is "it is in the terms and conditions and Norwegian air are a foreign company - regardless of me paying in dollars"

Hope I have made it less confusing - but I want to warn people if they have a NCL BOA credit card, and buy something from a foreign company then they may charge you a "foreign transaction fee"

Hi

No we are in the US. We have a BOA NCL rewards card.

We brought on Norwegianair.com airline tickets (as stated, I know Norwegian air are not part of NCL) and paid in US dollars. (NB: All air fares are quoted in dollars)

When we received our card statement the airline tickets we brought in the US (from a US site using US dollars) we were charged a "foreign transaction fee" even though we paid in dollars NOT Kroner.

The supervisor said that anytime we use the card to buy from a non US company we get a "foreign transaction fee" so IF I booked a cruise with Norwegian on my NCL (BOA) card, then they will consider them a foreign company - even though I pay in dollars.

My question is why would NCL promote a rewards card from BOA when they will charge a "foreign transaction fee" for using said card with a NON US company?

How can BOA justify a "foreign transaction fee" when I paid in dollars (I am pretty sure Norwegian air have a US bank account and if they want to covert their dollars to kroner, then they would pay the transaction fee)?

I sort of wonder if I brought some furniture from IKEA in my local store, would I also get charged a "foreign transaction fee" as they are a foreign company (Swedish I believe)

My point is - did BOA charge the fees to "get rid of me" as I pay in full every month, or do they do this to everyone who has a NCL BOA card?

Just never heard of this before and all BOA card services supervisor would say is "it is in the terms and conditions and Norwegian air are a foreign company - regardless of me paying in dollars"

Hope I have made it less confusing - but I want to warn people if they have a NCL BOA credit card, and buy something from a foreign company then they may charge you a "foreign transaction fee"

In the case of NCL cruise lines they have multiple sites to help customers avoid the foreign transaction fee's. There is NCL.com for USA and NCL.com/UK for Europe.

Norwegian air, is not a USA company and they are fairly new to the USA market. They only run 3 routes from Europe I think. NY,LA, and Miami. I have a few flights booked on them right now, but almost any card that one would use from the USA will be charged the fee. A few exceptions are American express, Capitol one, and a handful of others.

I always book direct and I did not know they starting taking Mastercard from USA. I could only use my visa.

I assume the 3rd party .com site acted as a processor and that is why you got hit with the fee. Your beef is with the .com site.

I pay in full every month as well and I hammer them when I use points. Double meta upgrades are always worth $5000 or more when I use them. Best deal out there!!

Look at the math. I spend $30,000 on NCL cruise stuff, get double points....take 30,000X2 =60,000 points redeemed for double meta upgrade worth $5000+ so I am getting 17% back.

So if they want to get rid of anyone it would be me.:D

Steve

Thank you. I don't get that involved in rewards. Sounds like I am missing out.

I have purchased Norwegian air tickets in the past using a different card (I have only had the NCL card about 6 months) and never had a foreign transaction fee from them.

I sell online myself, selling all around the world and my many hundreds of international customers pay me on my site in dollars and I have never had one complaint about this fee (I am 100% certain they would)

I think it is just plain wrong of BOA to do this - I will complain to their Customer service director (as the supervisor couldn't care less and just said it is policy) I will also make NCL aware - but as it doesn't seem widespread, I am sure they wouldn't care either - Personally, it would be nice if NCL dropped BOA for another bank.

Anyway if BOA do this to me, anyone who buys from a NON US company could face a "foreign transaction fee" When I asked the supervisor how I would know when on a US site (.com) if I could get this fee she said she didn't know. I just won't use the BOA (NCL) card again - but think it should be told just in case it happens (or potentially can) to someone else. It seems to me from what the supervisor said, I will always get a foreign transaction fee on my card if I use a foreign company - even if I pay in dollars. One can only then assume that as NCL is also a foreign company then a "foreign transaction fee" will apply. I am not taking a chance and will pay for my next cruise on the card I always used before changing to NCL card.