Grrand Princess vs Explorer of the Seas

Which would you select for the holidays in 2008?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you select for the holidays in 2008?

• Explorer of the Seas
    • Grand Princess

Ok, I need opinions. There is no right or wrong answer here. Just looking for input to make a big decision.

Right now, we're booked on Explorer of the Seas for the holiday sailing in 2008. After some reviewing we found a cruise on Grand Princess for the holidays in 2008 that we also really like.

Prices are about the same.

The only MAJOR difference is being able to drive to NJ to start our cruise on Explorer vs. FLYING to Florida to start our cruise on Grand Princess.

The cruise on Grand Princess is 2 days longer, and, as far as Explorer there will be days at sea in cold weather.

I'm literally the tie breaker for this cruise. It's a family cruise (about 40 family members) and it's literally split down the middle. We've all agreed we're sailing together regardless of the decision but, the deciding vote, like it or not, has fallen on my shoulders.

Our group will range in age from 12 months old to 84 years old. Most from the greater NYC area but, a few relatives from California and Florida.

Which would you select and why?

Having sailed on Grand Princess I can tell you it's been one of my favorite ships to date.

I agree with the poster above, I'd rather have the extra days in the warm weather opposed to the convenience of sailing from Bayonne...at least during the winter months.

Not to mention the Grand Princess cruise is 2 days longer, and, who doesn't want a longer vacation?!?!

The only MAJOR difference is being able to drive to NJ to start our cruise on Explorer vs. FLYING to Florida to start our cruise on Grand Princess.

I prefer the Grand class ships, so my vote is always for Princess - love the anytime personal choice dining. However, I am sailing on the Explorer of the Seas in seven weeks and it's my first Voyager class cruise.

The only thing to be prepared for is "sticker shock" for flights to Florida and pre-cruise hotel costs for that many people during peak season. The holidays in South Florida drive all the rates up.

A good example is my last cruise on the Caribbean Princess out of Port Everglades on 4/01/07 - Easter week AND spring break. The flights were over $500 each, so we ended up renting a van and just drove down - but, we're in Atlanta and that makes a difference. The hotel was $385/night as well - so, just things to think about when you put a pencil to it.

Best of luck in making a decision! I hope this has helped in some way. :)

Ok, I need opinions. There is no right or wrong answer here. Just looking for input to make a big decision.

Right now, we're booked on Explorer of the Seas for the holiday sailing in 2008. After some reviewing we found a cruise on Grand Princess for the holidays in 2008 that we also really like.

Prices are about the same.

The cruise on Grand Princess is 2 days longer, and, as far as Explorer there will be days at sea in cold weather.

I'm literally the tie breaker for this cruise. It's a family cruise (about 40 family members) and it's literally split down the middle. We've all agreed we're sailing together regardless of the decision but, the deciding vote, like it or not, has fallen on my shoulders.

Our group will range in age from 12 months old to 84 years old. Most from the greater NYC area but, a few relatives from California and Florida.

That's a tough one. I've been on both ships and enjoyed both very much. My husband and I sailed on the Grand three years in a row, and we would make it four if she was coming back to Texas this year!

That said, in your circumstances I would probably choose the Explorer, especially if there are a lot of children in the 5-18 range with your group. I think the Voyager class ships are excellent for large groups with people of varied ages travelling together. Plus, if most of your group is from the NY area, everyone will be able to use what they save in airfare on some fun things for/on the cruise.

I didn't look at the itineraries, so I didn't figure that in my response. This is totally based on convenience and my opinion of the two ships.

I can't believe I just typed this on the Princess board! Please excuse me while I take cover...:rolleyes:

You would probably have a much better chance of getting dining together on the Explorer, especially if you prefer traditional dinning. I really enjoyed our cruise on the Explorer. But then what's not to like about getting an upgrade from an inside cabin to a grand suite. My DW won it the second day at bingo. As mentioned previously, there seems to be more recreational activities on the Explorer.

We still like Princess better. We prefer the anytime dinning to traditional.

Myself, I would do anything not to have to start my vacation by getting on an airplane.

That's a tough one. I've been on both ships and enjoyed both very much. My husband and I sailed on the Grand three years in a row, and we would make it four if she was coming back to Texas this year!

That said, in your circumstances I would probably choose the Explorer, especially if there are a lot of children in the 5-18 range with your group. I think the Voyager class ships are excellent for large groups with people of varied ages travelling together. Plus, if most of your group is from the NY area, everyone will be able to use what they save in airfare on some fun things for/on the cruise.

I didn't look at the itineraries, so I didn't figure that in my response. This is totally based on convenience and my opinion of the two ships.

I can't believe I just typed this on the Princess board! Please excuse me while I take cover...:rolleyes:

I agree with Cindy! I'll be taking cover, too :D . We LOVE Princess, but we have to fly to cruise anywhere. I'd choose not having to fly, like drpack :) .

I love Princess, but in your situation...I would say go Explorer. That would be my decision.

Reasons: 40 people with Traditional dining makes more sense. Flying is the pits these days. Especially if most of the 40 have to fly to get there.

BUT...I would rather go on the Princess for 9 days out of a warmer place.:D

Hey Nick Needs To Know! Glad you're joining me! And, I see you already found the Roll Call I started.

I sailed on Grand Princess but, it was in 2001 so if you have any questions, ask and I'll try to answer them.

Hope more people join the sailing soon, it's a GREAT itinerary!

Archived