White Soft Sandy Beach In Cozumel

cruzn buckeye

We go to Cozumel every year with dive group and have been three times on a cruise. We always enjoy Mr. Sanchos beach- free admission, changing rooms and showers and the best chips and quacomole on the island. There are more locals there and not very crowded. You can walk out a long way into sea without running into coral. I believe it was a 10.00 cab ride from carnival's pier. Enjoy!! We'll be there for a week 11/6-13th diving. Our room looks right into the docked ships and I love hearing the announcements and "ding-dong" Will be on Victory in 3 weeks to Canada- can't wait!!

We sailed her first cruise 4 years ago.

The best beaches are on the other side of the island- the windward "wild" side. We rent a car and drive. I really like Chen Rio. However, the undertow can be dangerous so I would not swim there. Once you go, you will be spoiled to anything else if you are a "beach person". But it is mostly undeveloped.

Lisa -

Chunkanab has great snorkeling. Don't book thru the ship, just get off, walk thru the mall, and there will be a taxi stand at the end. Chunkanab has an admission price (maybe up to 10 per person but I don't remember the exact rate). Very good snorkeling.....and the restaurant/bar there is very good. We were even serenaded by the quartet going table to table.

Playa Sol is nice....no snorkeling there, just big play toys for the water. I would recommend it if you have older kids, and don't want to snorkel.

Don't rent mopeds.....very dangerous!

Valries: Do you stay at La Ceiba in Cozumel?

The best beach in terms of sand that I've been to on Cozumel was the one the Fury catamaran stops at after snorkeling. It was perfect. The sand was soft, the water terrific and it was only occupied by the Fury customers. The beer and margaritas served there are included with the excursion price. The food was extra. The sad part is that you only get about an hour there. I never saw an hour go by so quickly.

One word of caution about Chankanaab. The snorkeling is fantastic once you're in the water. But those so-called steps to get in and out of the water are a real pain to negotiate. It was worth the effort because once you are in the water the reef is right there and you don't have to swim out to see some wonderful undersea life. Just thought I'd mention it for anyone who may anticipate a problem.

We always enjoy Mr. Sanchos beach- free admission, changing rooms and showers and the best chips and quacomole on the island. There are more locals there and not very crowded. You can walk out a long way into sea without running into coral.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "Mr. Sanchos" beach?

We're going to be in Cozumel next Wednesday, and I'm looking at things to do.

Thanks!

I loved the beach for the Passion Island Adventure and the food was very good!!!! I am contemplating a return trip in Oct or Paradise Beach which does not come with the cost of the ship's excursion.

Joan

Sail on.......

Lisa-

Dzul Ha is a great snorkeling spot. If you want activities and pool, go across the street to Pal Mar beach club. We never made it over there, but got the coupon off the website, cozumelinsider.com, just in case. Dzul Ha has tables and chairs in the shade, drinks and food for an average cost, but no entrance fee like Chakaanab. ANd a reef right there for wonderful snorkeling.

Passion Island is a wonderful excursion in Cozumel, the beach is uncrowded, only the people on your excursion are there, the water is beautiful, the sand is beautiful. We have been there twice and are planning on going there again in dec on the Miracle

Can you do this on your own or do you have to do it as a ship excursion?

Passion Island is beautiful with white sandy beaches. But it is way out there and takes a while to get there. The ship charges $75 for this excursion and I haven't seen anyone else offer it.:( I think you can only do it via the ship, but I could be wrong. I didn't investigate any further since $75 per person, even for children was just too pricey for us. Even if a local tour operator came in at a cheaper rate of $55 or $60 that would still be a lot for a family of four. And we saw how far away it was on our map and knew we would spend a good while just trying to get there. So we didn't pursue anymore info. on it. But from what I understand it is the only place in the area where you can find white sandy beaches. It is an island that is just off of Cozumel.

Just about all of the beaches in Cozumel have brown sand, not white sand. And there are occasional rocks too. So if someone goes to Paradise Beach and expects white sandy beaches they will definitely be disappointed. If someone goes to any of the Cozumel beaches, with the exception of Paradise Island which is really not on Cozumel soil, and expects sandy white beaches they will be disappointed. Cozumel has brown soil and there are occasional rocks. With this in mind, knowing what to expect, you won't be disappointed. The beaches are nice. They may not have picture perfect white sandy beaches but the snorkeling is fantastic and the beaches really are quite pretty. I read the original thread and the person was complaing that the beaches didn't have white sand and the water wasn't crystal clear. I think their expectations were a little too high. They might have even been expecting something like what you see in Florida.

As for Mr. Sanchos, Paradise Tom said it is about a 15 minute walk from Paradise Beach. So you could actually visit both of them if you wanted to.:)

Playa Del Carmen is a good ways away and you need to catch a ferry to get to it. I have heard it was nice too, but we wanted to do something nearby without a lot of driving time getting there. Chankanaab, Mr. Sanchos, paradise beach, and Dzul Ha are all close by and good choices. Just don't expect white sandy beaches. Their sand may be brown but they are still quite pretty. Or at least I think so. I guess it's all how you look at it.:)

anyone know if Dzul Ha beach and Paradise beach are in the same general direction?.....we always go to Dzul for the snorkeling, but i wouldnt mind trying out Paradise as well during the same day trip.....but if they are in opposite directions i may just stick with Dzul....anyone familiar with the location of both?:).....

*please* take it from someone who knows. i've been to cozumel for vacation 8 separate times, each time for (give or take) 15 days. needless to say, i've spent a lot of sunny days on that island.

the BEST BEACH is a taxi ride to the other side of the island (20-30 minutes max). Restaurant PLAYA BONITA on the beach: PUNTA CHIQUEROS. it is FREE, there are very few people there, the scenery is amazing, there are waves, and the sand is white and soft. you can even have ricardo bring you a menu and you can order fajaitas, beers, anything. they have bathrooms and showers, and again - it's free.

if anyone knows what i'm talking about, or goes and enjoys it, i'd like to hear it!

JHawk22-

We drove around to the other side, and checked out those beaches. They looked really nice and empty too. Didn't stop to eat or drink.

However, I heard there is no snorkeling cuz no reef on that side. Is that correct?

that IS correct, nice catch! you can snorkel, but there are no reefs on the windward side of the island. there ARE waves however, and i've been told that in some areas, surfing/boogie boarding is possible. regardless, it's very beautiful and relaxing... if you're looking to see coral, stay on the western coast.

I just returned last Saturday from my cruise on the Holiday. We spent the day at Paradise Beach and it was our best day. The beach was very nice and clean. There were plenty of chairs, umbrellas, etc. We had a wonderful waiter (Crecencio) that made sure we were taken care of all day. PB Tom is great. He took the time to sit and chat with us and it was just an all around great time. Food and drinks were wonderful too.

Paradise Beach definitely gets my vote :)

Try ChaKanaab National Park. It is truly beautiful w/ Tiki huts , lounge chairs and two open air resturants complete w/ strolling mariachi guy's! We had a waiter deliver us pina colodas that were in pinapple's. The restrooms were clean as were the showers and snorkled w/ an array of colorful fish right at the shore. We paid $12 each and will return!

Another vote for great times at Mr Sanchos beach. Excellent authentic food, beer by the buckets and foot long margaritas. Sand and sea are amazing.

BTW, complaining about Caribb. beaches/sand is REALLY splitting hairs, I think. Have another drink!

Archived