HAL Formaly introduces "as you wish dining"

FIRELT5

Borrowing from O'Reilly, (forgive me)

Dear Bombastic Reverend,

Are you also a popinjay?

you're difinitely not pecksniffian.

Oh I can't wait for the new profile, if you do it maybe some of us should consider it also, or would that be too "koolaidian?

GN

Borrowing from O'Reilly, (forgive me)

Dear Bombastic Reverend,

Are you also a popinjay?

you're difinitely not pecksniffian.

Oh I can't wait for the new profile, if you do it maybe some of us should consider it also, or would that be too "koolaidian?

GN

FOFLMHO ...

GN, if you've not done it recently, go and read through all the posts on the Blender thread. What a glorious blast to the past! I can't believe it was 3 years ago we did that!!!!! Time sure flies!

Well, I went back over and closely read the thread.

What a HOOT. And, how very revealing.

Here's a collection of some quotes from some of our "friends" who have been posting about us (sometimes quite personally) over there. I'm glad my humor gears are engaged right now ... some of this is in violation of TOS, but I don't really give a hoot. After all ... I'm the "bombastic reverend." :eek: :D

heheheh ... the "Bombastic Reverend." Maybe I'll put that on my Cruise Critic Profile! :D

"Bombastic Reverend", now that is a classic. :D Go for it. It would be a real hoot in your profile.

After reading that thread, I found there were some nice people but 3 posters were more like the 3 stooges, Moe, Larry and Curly. :rolleyes:

WOW, I finally get busy at work, trying do finish up early to head to Phoenix and I see I am missing a whole bunch of activity:D Now I briefly read thru the posts and had to laugh myself but the one thing that I noticed is very few have actually been on a HAL ships so my first thought is they frankly have No Clue but I also will admit I too have not been on a NCL ship but with that being said. I prefer a bit better quality food and from statistics of what NCL spends for food for the average passengers tells me they buy a much lower quality of meats and other items much like RCL which was the main reason we switched to HAL. We had very good friends that recently tried NCL after having cruised Carnival and RCL and said that they could not wait to get off the ship to eat real food. So that along with many other comments I have read about their food quality is enough to make sure I would never try NCL. I know food is subjective but when recorded stats show NCL spends the least amount of money for their food than other cruiselines I think I would rather go with the line that obviously has a better quality. Which has absolutely nothing to do with Free Style or Traditional Dining.

Ok ... I've adjusted my Profile ... in the bio section:

Biography:

Ordained Minister, Cruise Chaplain, Author. Labeled: "The Bombastic Reverend" by NCL board member.[/Quote]

Now I think I'll add it to my signature.

Have been reading the various opinions on this subject for several days and would like to make a few comments.

In your last post #280 you state...didn't anyone ever tell some of you folks variety is the spice of life"

Perhaps you should take your own advise Differences of opinion are variety

Your attitude seems to be that your opinion is the only correct solution

If people prefer the traditional stlye of dining that is their prefernce and THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

If you prefer the AYW or Freestyle dining that is YOUR CHOICE ( I have tried both and can find pros nad cons for each but will never attempt to downgrade anyones choice)

You seem to attempt to point out a negative aspect to anyone who might prefer the style of dining different from your choice

Did anyone ever tell you "DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS"

From a 60+ "old timer " who has made numerous changes for numerous occasions in his life and will probably be making many more

You're Welcome! And ... welcome to the HAL board. I hope you do book and cruise a damship sometime. Just, be careful ... you might be surprised at how "old" some of us "bittys" are. Don't miss the wheelchair races out on the promenade; they're more fun than the walker relays. And, of course, there's Foxtrotting in the Northern Lights until all hours of the ... uh ... well ... 10 pm.

Thanks for the invite, but HAL probably wouldn't be a good fit for me. You see, I am one of those who does go down with the sun and am up every morning around 4:00 when the world is a little more at peace. I'd have to miss that Foxtrotting:D .

Plus, I was career military and what I did after also had the dress code. I believe I've earned the right to forget the pomp and ceremony. I dress nice but it is now casual. I've said time and again, I don't care if it's traditional or anytime, I hope all the cruise lines don't go casual. I believe everyone should be able to find what they enjoy. There's already a couple of traditional lines I can manage on if I so desire.

Good luck to you and the rest. May it work out so each of you have the best for you.

Thanks for the invite, but HAL probably wouldn't be a good fit for me. You see, I am one of those who does go down with the sun and am up every morning around 4:00 when the world is a little more at peace. I'd have to miss that Foxtrotting:D .

Plus, I was career military and what I did after also had the dress code. I believe I've earned the right to forget the pomp and ceremony. I dress nice but it is now casual. I've said time and again, I don't care if it's traditional or anytime, I hope all the cruise lines don't go casual. I believe everyone should be able to find what they enjoy. There's already a couple of traditional lines I can manage on if I so desire.

Good luck to you and the rest. May it work out so each of you have the best for you.

Thank you, Retired but not Expired. I GREATLY appreciate the attitude, and understand the desire to not have to put on a "show" after having to abide by dress codes for years. My Dad was retired Air Force, and if mother hadn't loved cruising and dressing up, he wouldn't have bothered with formal clothing at all.

I couldn't help myself.

Over on the NCL Board they're talking about the savings to be had on HAL sailing out of NYC. Some are saying they really want to try it, but are worried about all the old people being a bother. For example:

Originally Posted by Droopy_Sails

Wow! Those are some seeeerious savings. For that kind of swag, I wouldn't mind maneuvering around all the walkers and being the only one still awake at 10:15 p.m."

Lord help me, I'm naughty. My response was:

Don't miss the wheelchair races on the Promenade. They're usually held right after the Depends lecture and the Metamucil tasting in the Fiber Lounge.Walker relays are held outside on the sports deck in the late afternoon, followed by "Spot the Underdressed Lout," held only on Formal Nights at 7 pm in the Crows Nest.

Foxtrot and Charleston competitions are held in the Northern Lights every other evening, alternating with the "Let's Imitate a Massive Heart Attack on the Dance Floor" follies. Winner, with the best imitation, gets a free burial at sea and their survivor gets an additional onboard credit.

I know food is subjective but when recorded stats show NCL spends the least amount of money for their food than other cruiselines I think I would rather go with the line that obviously has a better quality.

It would be interesting to compare the various cruiselines...Could you post a link or reference to these recorded stats?

Greg,

I tried to find the "Urn" thread but could not. It might have gone away with all our old posts. That is the one (tongue in cheek) that I'd like to see resurrected. I think it was one of the funniest I've ever see. It was constructed from an old Carnivore post about the urns around one of their ships and moved over here and thoroughly massacred on issues of unpaid tips and burials at sea, and the true purposes of the mysterious urns.

Do you remember it?

GN

Greg,

I tried to find the "Urn" thread but could not. It might have gone away with all our old posts. That is the one (tongue in cheek) that I'd like to see resurrected. I think it was one of the funniest I've ever see. It was constructed from an old Carnivore post about the urns around one of their ships and moved over here and thoroughly massacred on issues of unpaid tips and burials at sea, and the true purposes of the mysterious urns.

Do you remember it?

GN

I remember it ... but wasn't that before the board migration and they lost so many threads? It may be gone forever.

It would be interesting to compare the various cruiselines...Could you post a link or reference to these recorded stats?

Here is a post from a poster I believe may work in the Industry so these numbers seem to be coming from a reliable source and look to be accurate.

As of January 2007:

All numbers are approximate averages. Actual numbers vary by ship, itinerary, and season. These numbers change very frequently, based on seasonal variations on prices for many different items. Hurricanes, deep freezes in the tropics, hail storms, labor strikes, and many other factors cause huge shifts in bulk prices, forcing rapid changes in per diems for some cruise lines.

NCL - $8.30 per passenger per day.

Carnival - $8.50 per passenger per day.

Royal Caribbean - $9.75 per passenger per day.

Celebrity - $10.50 per passenger per day.

Holland America - $10.50 per passenger per day.

Princess - $10.50 per passenger per day.

Regent - $18.00 per passenger per day.

Silver Sea - $18.00 per passenger per day.

Crystal - $20.00 per passenger per day.

Seabourn - $24.00 per passenger per day.

The above post came from this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9569042

Holland America Line Introduces As You Wish Dining

Open Seating and Open Times Offer Greater Choice

SEATTLE, July 16

Holland America Line launches As You Wish dining, an innovative

program that allows guests to choose from the best of both worlds --

either traditional pre-set seating and dining times, or a completely

flexible dining schedule. One level of the two-tiered restaurant will

offer a flexible/open dining service from 5:15 to 9 p.m. daily, and

the other will host two seatings, an early and main seating.

"Providing more options for our guests has been a hallmark of our

Signature of Excellence initiative," said Richard D. Meadows, CTC,

executive vice president, marketing, sales, and guest programs. "Since

flexible dining options have become more desirable by many of our

guests, we will roll As You Wish dining out across the fleet to

provide the most flexibility, choice and service to our guests.

"We've operated As You Wish dining in a pre-launch phase aboard the ms

Noordam and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive," Meadows

added.

Prior to their cruise, during the booking phase, guests will choose

flexible/open dining or Holland America Line's traditional pre-set

dining time (early or main). Guests with flexible seating may make

reservations daily during a cruise up to 4 p.m. or simply walk up

anytime during dining hours. Holland America Line manages reservations

and guest preferences through a unique computer system ensuring the

same efficient and high quality service for the flexible/open dining

as with the traditional pre-set format.

In addition to fixed and flexible/open dining options in the main

dining room, Holland America Line features the reservations-only

Pinnacle Grill restaurant with Pacific Northwest steak and seafood

specialties and casual Lido dining with waiter service and the option

to select dishes from the main restaurant menu or regular Lido

offerings. For guests who choose an evening "in," 24-hour

complimentary room service includes dishes from the main restaurant

during dining hours and a selection of meals and snacks.

As You Wish dining will be introduced on the Holland America Line

ships with the following sailings:

Date Ship

Operational Now msNoordam

10/11/07 ms Ryndam

11/13/07 ms Volendam

12/18/07 ms Statendam

1/5/08 ms Oosterdam

1/27/08 ms Rotterdam

2/3/08 ms Zaandam

2/24/08 ms Westerdam

3/15/08 ms Zuiderdam