Bonine or patch?

momof5js

We will be leaving on our first cruise next Monday. I am concerned about getting sea sick. We have bought bonine & got a patch from the dr. Any comments on which one is best? Should we take the Bonine or apply the patch before we leave on the cruise? Or only if we experience sea sickness?

Thanks

Once you get seasick, you might well be too miserable for pills to work. They won't stay put long enough to help. In that case, the patch is your only option short of going to the doc for a shot.

DW had ahorrible experience with the patch, and a sizable number of other posters on this board report similar, bad, experiences. On the other hand, neither DW or I have had problems with Bonine (generic name meclizine). We take it the night before the cruise and then every night off the cruise . . . if it makes us drowsy, who cares when it's bed time.

If you do opt for using the patch, be sure to read all the package insert instructions.

The patch won't work properly unless you apply it BEFORE you get on the ship. I usually put my patch on about 6 hours before we board. If you slap the patch on when the ship is rocking & rolling while you are on the sea it will not reduce motion sickness.

Many who use Bonine also take it beginning before the cruise. If you have never taken Bonine before you may notice that it makes you sleepy. It knocks me out cold (hence, I use the patch). If it does make you sleepy then you can take it before bed.

We will be leaving on our first cruise next Monday. I am concerned about getting sea sick. We have bought bonine & got a patch from the dr. Any comments on which one is best? Should we take the Bonine or apply the patch before we leave on the cruise? Or only if we experience sea sickness?

Thanks

Hi momof5,

it seems that you already got some good advice from other posters but one more should not hurt.

I have used both in the past: meclizine ( one of the brands for this medicine is Bonine) and Transderm Scopolamine Patch. I had more side effects / problems with the patch ....... if you decide to use it, please do read the manufacturer's literature especially about the side effects, so if something unusual was going to happen to you - you will recognize that as perhaps a side effect of the scopolamine.

Meclizine makes me a little sleepy if I use the 25mg tablets, 15 mg tablets seems to be OK.

In case if you missed it - Cruise Critic has a very good section about how to prevent sea / motion sickness ..... here is the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ftc/articles.cfm?ID=48

Wishing you a wonderful cruise free of any sea sickness.

Wes

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will start taking the Bonine on Sunday night before the cruise. And have the patch as a backup if I need it. Our dr said the patch starts working as soon as you put it on. It works by dilating the blood vessels in the inner ear which stablilizes the imbalance that causes sea sickness.

Hopefully we'll be fine. But I want to be prepared.

We leave in about 11 hours..........YICKES!!!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will start taking the Bonine on Sunday night before the cruise. And have the patch as a backup if I need it. Our dr said the patch starts working as soon as you put it on. It works by dilating the blood vessels in the inner ear which stablilizes the imbalance that causes sea sickness.

Hopefully we'll be fine. But I want to be prepared.

We leave in about 11 hours..........YICKES!!!!

Enjoy the cruise.

Keith

I used to use the patches but it blurred my vision so much I couldn't read anything!!!! Now I take Meclazine.......only 1 tablet a day....and it doesn't make me drowsy at all. Instead of buying Bonine over the counter....ask the pharmacist for Meclazine (same thing) they keep it behind the counter and it's cheaper to buy it that way (big bottle).

Angie

I take the Bonine no drowziness formula..have never had a problem with becoming sleepy. The problem with the patch is that it is time delivered, so if you have a problem with it, it will take a while to leave your system.

As so many of us have said, each person is different. Some do well with Bonine while others don't. Others do well with the patch while others don't. And the same is true with the other remedies. So, the key is to always try a product and go with the one that works the best for you. I always say if there was a product that worked the same for all then there would not be the need to have other products in the marketplace.

Keith

If your seas get rough enough, neither will work well. If that happens, and I hope it doesn't, then you need to go to the ship's doctor for a shot. Our first cruise, first night out and we hit a tropical storm. Some of our tablemates at dinner had to do this.

Archived