"Secret" areas on Mercury??

GORDONCHICK

Some ships have areas that you have to know about them &/or how to get into them (they aren't restricted, but truly not in a trafficked area). We will be on board Mercury for an Alaskan cruise. We are booked in an inside. If there are great outdoor viewing areas on this ship, we'd sure like to know about them.

Hi Carmen:)

I cannot tell you it is a secret because its not, but I still LOVE the

area.....AFT of the buffet. Tables, chairs and umbrellas. It is a lovely

place to sit and have a coffee, hot tea, chocolate...or even an adult

beverage;)

I had an inside last summer when I went to Alaska and I was only

one deck down from it. It was great...just up one deck and the

view from there was magnificant:)

There is another area Aft, I think on the promenade deck but you probably need to a little exploring.

When we were on Mercury through the canal it was almost vacant. We had a great view going through the locks. Summit was also going through on the other side but Mercury won the race ;).

It's actually on the Entertainment Deck, above the Promenade Deck, where there is a little-used space at the aft. It's a great spot to watch the wake in solitude, or to view departures from ports, without jostling with a multitude of other passengers. Uh-oh, so now it's no longer a secret ... :o :D

Donald.

It's actually on the Entertainment Deck, above the Promenade Deck, where there is a little-used space at the aft. It's a great spot to watch the wake in solitude, or to view departures from ports, without jostling with a multitude of other passengers. Uh-oh, so now it's no longer a secret ... :o :D

Donald.

Thanks for the tip Donald:D after 3 times I don't think I have

been in that spot......but Oct is only 3 months away;)

Lois, you can either climb up the aft stairs from the Promenade Deck, or access the aft spot from the elevator lobby in front of the Pavilion Night Club. I go there quite often, especially when departing from Mexican ports. That expanse of area is little used by passengers. Sometimes I use it for my work-outs. :)

Donald.

Yes, Lois, it's the aft spot behind the Pavilion Night Club. :)

Donald...I didn't know anything was behind the Pavillion:eek:

figured if you went anymore aft you would be off the ship;) :confused:

So you are telling me behind the club, outside is a spot for

people:D

Thank You!

Donald...I didn't know anything was behind the Pavillion:eek:

figured if you went anymore aft you would be off the ship;) :confused:

So you are telling me behind the club, outside is a spot for

people:D

Thank You!

Yes, there is a nice spot of open deck space behind the club. There aren't doors exiting aft from the club, so you need to access the spot from slightly forward, in front of the club or just off the side corridors leading into the club. I go there quite often, for quiet and a different viewpoint from the crowded, upper decks. :)

Donald.

Donald.

I wasn't sure which deck but it is a great place. Thanks for reminding. We are going on Mercury next April.

I wasn't sure which deck but it is a great place. Thanks for reminding. We are going on Mercury next April.

That deck is near enough to wave "bye-bye" to people on the shore, but not too high up to be lost among the other passengers. Have a great cruise, George & MaryBeth!

I will be standing there on July 27, and Lois in mid-October! :)

Donald.

my favorite secret area (Aft deck 8) has just become our Aft balcony due to the renovations! I'm so happy...we spent a good part of our inside passage cruise to Alaska there and now look forward to sitting on the balcony on sea days Down Under!

Thanks to everyone! Since we have an inside for Alaska, I want a place we can go so our 6 yo DS can see without people stomping on him (accidentally in most cases). I also hate people bumping me when I'm trying to take photos! Since our cabin is in the aft, the space behind the Pavillion sounds like it will work. Since our roll call is small, maybe this space will be a secret on our cruise!

I want a place we can go so our 6 yo DS can see without people stomping on him (accidentally in most cases).

How tall is your six-year-old? There are no railings across the aft, just a solid waist- or chest-high wall. I believe that there are railings along the sides of the deck leading to the aft, though.

Donald.

How tall is your six-year-old? There are no railings across the aft, just a solid waist- or chest-high wall. I believe that there are railings along the sides of the deck leading to the aft, though.

Donald.

I think he'll be fine even though he is shorter than many his age (so are we). If we need to, we can take turns holding him up. Or maybe drag a chair outside....

I think he'll be fine even though he is shorter than many his age (so are we). If we need to, we can take turns holding him up. Or maybe drag a chair outside....

I think I remember there was a bench along the inside, only 6-8 feet from the - I don't know, extremely big porthole. He might be able to stand on that and see fine.

Donald, do you remember that or is it a figment of my imagination (or the rum and cokes ;)).

Donald, do you remember that or is it a figment of my imagination (or the rum and cokes ;)).

No, I don't remember a bench anywhere on that aft deck, but, then, a martini can impair my observation. :D

Holland-America does have benches on the aft of the wrap-around promenade. Perhaps you confused the cruise lines?

Donald.

Celebritymania...Donald

Is there any chairs or lounges in this aft area behind the Pavillion? I'm looking for a quiet place to read and suntan. It was really hard to get a lounge chair around the pool or the jogging track deck, on our last cruise on Mercury... Jan 29/07.

Our next cruise is on the Summit...is there any secret places on this ship??

Looking at the Mercury again for our 2009 holiday.

Pat :)

Hi, Pat -

I was also on the Mercury last January 29, a great cruise to the Mexican Riviera and a welcome break from our Canadian winter! I'll be on her again on July 27, and am booked on her three times in 2008 and one (so far) in 2009.

Sorry, there aren't seats in the area behind the Pavilion Night Club, nor along the sides of that club, because the open spaces are sort of narrow. It isn't a good spot for suntanning, either, because the overhead extends to the sides and past the aft railing. What it is, is a nice quite spot to stand and observe departures from ports without jostling with other people.

I used to relax and sunbathe on the lounge chairs on the former aft areas on Decks 8 and 10 now taken over by balconied aft cabins. However, there are a few lounge chairs still left in the spaces on either side of these. While these won't be great for suntanning, they are nice spots for quiet relaxation.

An alternative might be the sides of Deck 13 forward, two levels above the pool deck. The aft area behind the funnel is also not bad. However, both are open to winds during sea days.

I've cruised on the Infinity and Summitwith companions, so I've never had the opportunity to sneak off in search of secret places. Perhaps others can offer advice? :D

Donald.

Celebritymania...Donald

Is there any chairs or lounges in this aft area behind the Pavillion? I'm looking for a quiet place to read and suntan. It was really hard to get a lounge chair around the pool or the jogging track deck, on our last cruise on Mercury... Jan 29/07.

Our next cruise is on the Summit...is there any secret places on this ship??

Looking at the Mercury again for our 2009 holiday.

Pat :)

Sorry, but we've been on both Summit and sister ship Infinity - nothing like on Mercury (and I presume Galaxy). The M class ships have aft rooms top (right below the buffet area) to bottom almost. Forward isn't any better.

You all are talking about my absolute favorite viewing areas on Mercury and Galaxy. The deck is teak so you can even sit down next to the open railings on the sides and just stare out at the water ... I spent hours doing that on our Galaxy Panama Canal cruise last year. You can make a nice walk out of it by starting on Promenade deck, as far forward as you can go on one side, then walk down that side to the stairs up to 7 aft, walk around 7 aft to the matching stairs on the other side, then down to Promenade, walk all the way down that side, turn around and repeat ... Or you can do the full outdoor walk by going up from Promenade to 7 aft, then up stairs to 8 aft, in turn to 9 aft, 10 aft, etc. We are sailing in insides these days too but have many ways to spend as much time outdoors as possible ...

TR

Mercury AK 6/07

Galaxy PC 4/06

Mercury AK 8/05

Millennium EC 12/04

Mercury CA-MX 4/04

Infinity AK 8/03

Century WC 3/03

Century EC 9/02

Wow! We think alike!

When it's rainy, or too crowded with joggers and walkers on the jogging track on Deck 12, I do the promenade deck-Deck 7 aft-promenade deck route a number of times.

I've also done the rear stairs route, going up several decks from Deck 7, then across to the other side, and down back to Deck 7. Going up and down these stairs is excellent exercise. The only problem is that it seems that every time that I do it, there is a deck hand hosing down these decks, dripping water down the stairs. :rolleyes:

Donald.

Hey,

I went down this afternoon to check out the Mercury at Canada Place in Vancouver (a little pre-cruise tease for our November cruise to Hawaii). I ask two different cruise staff (by yelling across from the pier) whether they served lunch today (embarkation day). Both staff replied that they did! I am somewhat sure they understood my question over the noise of the ship getting ready to leave.

In any case, that should be one more piece of evidence that there is a chance to eat lunch in the dining room on embarkation day. An intense discussion in another thread.

Also noted: not a single person on the deck that wraps around the aft on the entertainment deck (mentioned above) during departure.

Also noted: great balcony for cruisers with none-balcony cabins at the aft corners on the panorama deck (including chairs). This will be great for us. We have an inside cabin near the aft on that deck.

I can't wait to cruise... 114 days... aargh!

Bill

Archived