RB's Daily WW Chat

RB Bonzo

I agree. You may lose weight initially without exercise, but to maintain that loss and to continue losing you must exercise. When I was young (21) and thin (120), I went to the gym for 2 hours every day:eek: -- who has time for that!?! Anyway, my point is, I could eat anything, and I mean anything I wanted without gaining weight. Even when I quit going to the gym, I was able to maintain that weight for about a year because of the muscle that I had developed. When I started to lose the muscle, I started to gain weight. You need muscle to help you burn more calories. I'm trying to do that now.

I have had better success in weight loss when exercising as well as 'dieting' in the past. In 2004, I lost 33lbs by doing WW and going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week. Cardio and Weights for just over an hour. Of course, I put nearly all of it back on again when I gave up! However, things have changed and I am not going there again. It is not easy at 55 and with a BMI over 33.

Recently I was just walking with a buddy, but since my foot problem that won't work. So now I am going to Curves 3 times a week. I know it is only 30 minutes, but it is hard work, I do break sweat and can keep to it. That seems better than trying to do more and failing.

All the time I am losing that is fine. If I stop going down in weight, despite keeping to my points and going to Curves, then I will have to re-think.

Next week will be my first Weigh and Measure at Curves after one month's membership, so that will be very interesting for me.

Cinnamon

The key to exercise is finding something you like to do, so it doesn't seem like work. The gym I use has TV attachments on the treadmill, so you can put on headphones and listen while watching TVs that are mounted on the wall. I do 3 miles every morning while watching the early morning news. They offer a lot of classes, so I, also, do an aqua aerobics class every day. It's not high intensity aerobics, but it keeps me moving and it is a very social group, so I enjoy seeing everyone. They offer yoga classes mid-day and if I'm suffering from the munchies, I go to a yoga class. Again, it doesn't burn a lot of calories, but it's relaxing and keeps me from consuming them. If you add it up, I'm at the gym 2-3 hours a day, but it doesn't feel like work -- it's fun.

At my meeting today, we talked about the importance of Persistence in weight loss. I copied the following from the ML's flip-chart:

Patience is key

Exercise

Realistic expectations

Set small goals

Inspiration from others

Satisfaction in meals and snacks

Tools for living

Examine your nutritional choices

Nix the negative thinking

Celebrating small steps

Enjoy the journey

There's a lot of really good material there, so I thought that rather than racking my brain to come up w/ a new topic every day, we can work our way through these, one at a time. So,today's topic:

Realistic Expectations

So, when I was 24, I had a 29" waste and weighed 152 pounds - which was pretty slim for a large framed guy who worked out and was 5'10" (did I really use to be such a hunk?)

Anyway, that was more than 20 years ago, and I don't think that'll be happening again! But, I can lose at least 35 more pounds and get my body fat percentage down to below 20%. That's realistic - and that's my expectation.

As far as my fitness goals, I would like to increase my running to the point where I am able to complete a marathon in under 5 hours. Many others have taken up long distance running at my age and done much better than that, and I believe that is realistic.

What are your expectations? Are they realistic?

Onward and downward!

RB Nice Thread - Thanks I have enjoyed reading the posts.

Realistic Expectations - Very important! Like you it seems that in my early years perhaps I was a female version of a hunk aka hottie. 5'8" and 130's - expectation for today at 41 is to someday see the 150's any of them 159 is ok with me!! WW says top weight for me is 162 - not sure why I changed my life and my expectations as well.

Here's my story: My life changed last year on the day after Thanksgiving I got on the scale and I saw 205.5. The next day I went back to WW (I'm a lifetimer) and bought 6 sessions with a personal trainer at the gym I belonged to but hadn't been to in over a year. Since that day I have been setting small realistic expectations or goals. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week and do both cardio and strength training. After 3 months I decided that I would like to do what I did when I was younger and that was to run. So I signed up for a 5K road race and followed a beginner training program for 6 weeks before the race. I joined a running club in my area to help me to stay focused and make friends who were like minded. That has helped a lot! I will be running my first half marathon in November. Although I don't have a time goal I will just be very happy to finish it - this is my Realistic Expectation because I will train.

My WW weight loss has been 23.5 lbs but with a completely different body shape then other times when I have lost. I have been the same weight for over two months. I need to loose another 20 to get to goal and I really don't care how long it takes. I just keep doing what I do and it will come off and my body will continue to gain strength and speed. I measure my success in many ways, clothes fit different, I can run further, I can run faster! 29:42 for my 5K a few weeks ago!!

Following Core for the first week - does anyone else do core and have any pointers? Thanks and good luck to everyone - Onward and Downward!!

Hi, AR2G -

glad to have another runner on the boards! I'm just getting started w/ running and am loving it. Ran my first 5k (w/out walking some of it) this morning - a tad over 34 minutes, but considering my first 2 were 47 and 42 minutes, that's progress!

You should join us on the Log Your Exercise Here thread.

It sounds like you've got a great attitude and are making terrific progress. WTG!

RB

Nice time RB!! I will find that other board you mention but thought I would just let you know that tonight I PR'd in a cross-country style 5K - running through woods and apple orchards - I was shocked at the clock - 28:09. Tough bypassing all the goodies that were out afterwards though - UGHHH - hot dogs, cookies and pies! DOUBLE UGHHH. When I saw all the well, crap, I decided that I would go back to the orchard and "steal" an apple off one of the trees! and I did and it was yummy - way better than the burnt dogs that were coming off the grill. Just thought I would share.

Hi, my name is Brenda and I started WW on July 9th. As of last Monday's weigh in I have lost 15.6 pounds. YEAH!!! My 1st goal was to lose my 10% by our cruise in October and it looks like I will make that if things keep going down as they have been. I am so glad to have someplace online to talk to others who are concerned and trying to lose weight but who also LOVE to cruise. We are leaving on October 21st for a 14 night cruise to Hawaii onboard the Radiance of the Seas. I can't wait. Been planning this trip for over a year now. We now have 56 days!!:D Using the WW Points system has been over all fairly easy to stick to and the pounds are melting away. Looking forward to following this thread and talking to you all.

Cupola (Also Captain Jackie Sparrow of the Poi Deploy)

Hi, Brenda - you're off to a great start!

I'll pick up tomorrow on the PERSISTENCE theme, as not everyone had a chance to respond to a weekend post. In the meantime, I'll pass along this link to an article on the Weight Watchers website about staying on program while on a cruise. Looks like the ship in the picture is the Disney Magic.

Hi, Brenda - you're off to a great start!

I'll pick up tomorrow on the PERSISTENCE theme, as not everyone had a chance to respond to a weekend post. In the meantime, I'll pass along this link to an article on the Weight Watchers website about staying on program while on a cruise. Looks like the ship in the picture is the Disney Magic.

Great article RB, makes me excited for our upcoming cruise but very nervous about eating ship food for that long a time:eek: :eek:

Our DSL got struck by lightening so don't have access at home till DH gets it repaired which is why I have been so quiet.:rolleyes:

At my meeting today, we talked about the importance of Persistence in weight loss. I copied the following from the ML's flip-chart:

Patience is key

Exercise

Realistic expectations

Set small goals

Inspiration from others

Tools for living

Celebrating small steps

Enjoy the journey

There's a lot of really good material there, so I thought that rather than racking my brain to come up w/ a new topic every day, we can work our way through these, one at a time.

Today's Topic: Setting Small Goals

When I started WW 5 mos ago, my starting weight was 97 pounds over the upper end of my WW range. I could not walk around the block or go up a flight of stairs without getting winded. I had a long way to go - and it was daunting. I have long term goals - and they are to get down to my goal weight and to run a marathon. But, I also set small goals to strive for along the way.

Weight-wise, my initial small goal was to lose 10% of my starting weight. That took me 3 months. As soon as I did that, I set a new goal for another 10% (that is when I started the 10% Challenge thread that many people on this thread are participating in ). I've got about 16 more pounds to go on that.

Since that one seems to be taking a while, I've set additional small goals - focusing on each 10 pound milestone (260, 250, 240, etc). I know a couple of people who weigh the same as me, and we have friendly bets to see who can get to the next level first. I lost the races to 250 and 240, but I won the race to get below 230.

Fitness wise, I started out slowly with half hour walks, building up to an hour, and then two hours. I gradually worked running in. I set a small goal to be able to run an entire 5k (3.1 miles) by the end of the summer, and I accomplished that this past weekend. My next goal is to get my time to under 30 minutes by November. I am now running about 8 miles a week in addition to the walking. It is funny that I am now less winded after running a mile than I used to be walking up a flight of stairs less than 6 months ago.

Setting and achieving smaller has provided me with a lot of encouragement as I make progress towards my big goals.

What small goals have you set and how have they helped you in your journey?

Onward & downward!

Patience is key

Exercise

Realistic expectations

Set small goals

Inspiration from others

Tools for living

Celebrating small steps

Enjoy the journey

There's a lot of really good material there, so I thought that rather than racking my brain to come up w/ a new topic every day, we can work our way through these, one at a time.

Today's Topic: Setting Small Goals

When I started WW 5 mos ago, my starting weight was 97 pounds over the upper end of my WW range. I could not walk around the block or go up a flight of stairs without getting winded. I had a long way to go - and it was daunting. I have long term goals - and they are to get down to my goal weight and to run a marathon. But, I also set small goals to strive for along the way.

Weight-wise, my initial small goal was to lose 10% of my starting weight. That took me 3 months. As soon as I did that, I set a new goal for another 10% (that is when I started the 10% Challenge thread that many people on this thread are participating in ). I've got about 16 more pounds to go on that.

Since that one seems to be taking a while, I've set additional small goals - focusing on each 10 pound milestone (260, 250, 240, etc). I know a couple of people who weigh the same as me, and we have friendly bets to see who can get to the next level first. I lost the races to 250 and 240, but I won the race to get below 230.

Fitness wise, I started out slowly with half hour walks, building up to an hour, and then two hours. I gradually worked running in. I set a small goal to be able to run an entire 5k (3.1 miles) by the end of the summer, and I accomplished that this past weekend. My next goal is to get my time to under 30 minutes by November. I am now running about 8 miles a week in addition to the walking. It is funny that I am now less winded after running a mile than I used to be walking up a flight of stairs less than 6 months ago.

Setting and achieving smaller has provided me with a lot of encouragement as I make progress towards my big goals.

What small goals have you set and how have they helped you in your journey?

Onward & downward!

Hi, my name is Brenda and I started WW on July 9th. As of last Monday's weigh in I have lost 15.6 pounds. YEAH!!! My 1st goal was to lose my 10% by our cruise in October and it looks like I will make that if things keep going down as they have been. I am so glad to have someplace online to talk to others who are concerned and trying to lose weight but who also LOVE to cruise.

Welcome, Brenda, we are a friendly bunch here and it really helps to 'chat' to others in the same boat, if you'll pardon the pun.

You have done really well so far. My next cruise is on November 5th, so a bit longer away for me to reach my 10% goal. I am one third of the way to it. This is posted on the 10% Losers board. My weight has become much harder to control since we became addicted to cruises, but I have been to WW before, never getting anywhere near a Goal weight.

RB, as to small goals now, well mine is of course the 10%. However, we have a great Leader who has actually begun to make me think that perhaps I could get to become a Gold member. After the 10% it would mean losing another 30lbs or so. I find it very hard to imagine that, so the small goal it is for now.

BTW, I cooked a WW recipe this weekend. It was Frittata. Basically, vegetables such as aubergine (eggplant), courgette (zucchini) and (bell) peppers, baked in a dish after covering with beaten eggs. It held together brilliantly for a picnic and was very tasty. 1.5. points per portion on the UK system. Isn't it funny how we have compeletely different names over here for manyvegetables. :)

AR2G, I did the UK version of the Core programme last year. I loved it at the time but needed to do points again now to stimulate my interest. It was a very healthy way of eating but needed me to cook everything from scratch. At present, it is handy for me to use the occasional WW Ready Meal, and I do love being able to eat bread. The Core taught me how to live without bread and cheese if I have to though.

Have a good week everyone,

Cinnamon

Patience is key

Exercise

Realistic expectations

Set small goals

Inspiration from others

Tools for living

Celebrating small steps

Enjoy the journey

Today's Topic: Inspiration from Others

We read so much about studies showing that diets don't work and that much of weight is genetic. Or, once you become heavy, biology conspires to keep you that way. It can be enough to cause somebody to conclude that it just isn't worth the struggle.

But, people do succeed. If they can do it, then so can I. I enjoy reading those inspiring stories, and I try to learn from them what I can.

Folks who regularly read this thread have probably figured out that I'm a big fan of the National Weight Loss Registry, which registers and studies folks who have lost significant weight and kept it off over time. I pay close attention to the anecdotes and studies that come from that registry. I also read the inspiring stories on the WW Board.

I don't know if these lessons and stories are so much a source of "inspiration" for me as it is an opportunity to learn from the experience of others who have gone before me. I do know that, on a day when I have read one of those stories, I am more apt to do the things that will help me to succeed.

What inspires you?

Onward and downward!

RB - People like YOU inspire me! Realizing that we all struggle and we can ALL do this really helps. Reading your story (and others as well) who stick with it day in and day out is very inspiring. 5K under 30 I KNOW you will do by November. I laughed when I read that because that was one of my goals since Spring. I ran 4 5K races and was always at 31 and change. So I decided by the end of the Fall that I wanted to break 30. You will do it and BOY is it amazing to see that clock reading 29 and change or even 28 and change (saw that on Sunday evening!!) Good Luck!!

Last night I went out to dinner with hubby (second time this week and weigh in is tomorrow) and made VERY good choices and managed to stay on core. Thank goodness for exercise points! I felt guilt-free having a second glass of white wine with my baked seafood (no butter, no crumbs and still VERY Yummy!).

Small goal (yesterdays topic) for me it has been each 10 pound milestone. Small reward at each - facial, massage, etc... Today I realized though that another lb actually makes my loss an even 30. I think I have been claiming 30 for a while just because its easier to say then 28.5 or 29 when asked but I am really looking forward to saying 30 - yup, thats 30 off and knowing that it really is 30. When I started and needed to loose 50 it seemed so daunting and now with 30 off I know I can do ANYTHING I set my mind to.

Onward and Downward!!

I agree with AR2G, it is people here who are helping to inspire me. Talk of reaching goal is very tempting. I have never before thought of trying it, just always wanted to lose again what I put on since I last lost it. Dumb I know. I have about 12lbs to lose to get to my lowest weight for about 15 years. What happens after that? Watch this space!

Cinnamon

Today's Topic: Inspiration from Others

We read so much about studies showing that diets don't work and that much of weight is genetic. Or, once you become heavy, biology conspires to keep you that way. It can be enough to cause somebody to conclude that it just isn't worth the struggle.

But, people do succeed. If they can do it, then so can I. I enjoy reading those inspiring stories, and I try to learn from them what I can.

Folks who regularly read this thread have probably figured out that I'm a big fan of the National Weight Loss Registry, which registers and studies folks who have lost significant weight and kept it off over time. I pay close attention to the anecdotes and studies that come from that registry. I also read the inspiring stories on the WW Board.

I don't know if these lessons and stories are so much a source of "inspiration" for me as it is an opportunity to learn from the experience of others who have gone before me. I do know that, on a day when I have read one of those stories, I am more apt to do the things that will help me to succeed.

What inspires you?

Onward and downward!

I also enjoy reading all the inspirational stories on the WW board, what is the link for the national weight loss registry??

I believe some of it is generic along with learning eating habits from our parents that are formed when we are young and living at home.

I have seen how a parents actions affect a childs behaviour as when our kids were young we would take them to Mc Donalds to play - all the little ones would get happy meals etc except for one friend who wanted her child to eat healthy and would bring bags of tomatoes, celery carrots etc.

8 years later when this child is away from her parents etc she is eating as much junk food as she can as she knows it's not allowed at home, she will finish off a pack of oreos, 3-4 cupcakes etc Hide food in her pockets for later etc. I believe bad food habits have been formed due to the parents actions - of course this is just my theory and it is sad to see.

RB - People like YOU inspire me!

Small goal (yesterdays topic) for me it has been each 10 pound milestone. Small reward at each - facial, massage, etc... Today I realized though that another lb actually makes my loss an even 30. I think I have been claiming 30 for a while just because its easier to say then 28.5 or 29 when asked but I am really looking forward to saying 30 - yup, thats 30 off and knowing that it really is 30. When I started and needed to loose 50 it seemed so daunting and now with 30 off I know I can do ANYTHING I set my mind to.

Onward and Downward!!

I agree - RB you inspire us and motivate us:D

I also have small goals of 10lbs and reward myself with a bead for my Pandora bracelet for each 10lbs.

Hopefully I will get my 3rd one soon, I too seem to be 'stuck' around this 28lb mark:eek: :eek:

I agree with AR2G, it is people here who are helping to inspire me. Talk of reaching goal is very tempting. I have never before thought of trying it, just always wanted to lose again what I put on since I last lost it. Dumb I know. I have about 12lbs to lose to get to my lowest weight for about 15 years. What happens after that? Watch this space!

Cinnamon

We are watching youaredoingit.gifgoodluck.gif

I agree that everyone on this board is inspiring to me. I also inspire myself, now i know that sounds stupid, but when i think about how i used to weigh 224 pounds, and i look at how far i have come, it amazes me. i know now i can do anything i put my mind to. It may take longer than i like but i will do it.

It's kind of funny, because I made this same comment on the 10% board yesterday. I don't go to ww meetings, I do it online. This board has been a great inspiration for me. Also I am doing this with my 2 dd's, and I don't want them to see me fail. I am doing it for me, but I also want them to see me succeed, and know that they can too. I want to teach them the things I failed to teach them when they were younger. My bad eating habits rubbed off on them, and at 17 & 20, they need to re-learn now. I also have a 2 year old that was a surprise at 42, but also a great joy! I want her to learn good habits while she is young, and I want to be healthy for her, and be able to do the things with her that I was able to do with my older kids.

I agree, too - that's the great thing about boards and threads like this. When we post our successes and progress, we inspire each other. So glad that it is working. :D

Julia, here's a link to the National Weight Control Registry. I also cut and pasted below some of the info from their page.

NWCR Facts

You may find it interesting to know about the people who have enrolled in the registry thus far.

• 80% of persons in the registry are women and 20% are men.

• The "average" woman is 45 years of age and currently weights 145 lbs, while the "average" man is 49 years of age and currently weights 190 lbs.

• Registry members have lost an average of 66 lbs and kept it off for 5.5 years.

• These averages, however, hide a lot of diversity:

• Weight losses have ranged from 30 to 300 lbs.
    • Duration of successful weight loss has ranged from 1 year to 66 years!
    • Some have lost the weight rapidly, while others have lost weight very slowly--over as many as 14 years.

[*]We have also started to learn about how the weight loss was accomplished: 45% of registry participants lost the weight on their own and the other 55% lost weight with the help of some type of program.

• 98% of Registry participants report that they modified their food intake in some way to lose weight.

• 94% increased their physical activity, with the most frequently reported form of activity being walking.

• There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity.

• 78% eat breakfast every day.
  • 75% weigh them self at least once a week.
  • 62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
  • 90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.

Patience is key

Exercise

Realistic expectations

Set small goals

Inspiration from others

Tools for living

Celebrating small steps

Enjoy the journey

TODAY'S TOPIC - Satisfaction in Meals & Snacks

For years, whenever I was on a "diet," I would begin by stocking up on the diet food. Carrot sticks & celery, light bread, and so forth.

Ya know what. I really don't like carrot sticks. And, I thought I was going to lose weight by eating them every day. I would get frustrated, and when I blew it, I blew it big and wouldn't go back.

This time around is different. I eat foods that I enjoy every day. I tweak them to make them lower cal & lower fat. And, I eat them in moderation.

Someone on another board I frequent writes advocates that you should not give up any foods while on WW that you are not prepared to give up for the rest of your life. I took that advice to heart.

Here's an example I have pizza every week or two. I used to have it a lot more, and eat a lot more of it when I did. And, I used to go for fatty meat toppings. Now, I favor vegetable toppings. Another example: I have a little reduced fat ice cream or a few squares of dark chocolate almost every night. I save up the points for it (or, more frequently, earn them w/ AP's). Not as much as I might have had before, but I am satisfied with it.

I don't feel deprived, and I don't see any reason why I can't continue like this indefinitely. I think that this is a very important strategy for weight loss.

What do you think?

Onward and downward!

Archived