RB's Daily WW Chat

RB Bonzo

Man, I miss RB, how about you? Here's a thought, how do you keep yourself motivated when the losses are small or not at all? How many weeks of no loss is a plateau?

I thought I was having a good week, but the scales disagree:(

Hope everyone else is doing better.

Beth

Man, I miss RB, how about you? Here's a thought, how do you keep yourself motivated when the losses are small or not at all? How many weeks of no loss is a plateau?

I thought I was having a good week, but the scales disagree:(

Hope everyone else is doing better.

Beth

Guess we just cannot make up for RB not being here:rolleyes:

It is hard to stay motivated but I think daily journalling is helping cause the weight sure is going really really slow here:rolleyes:

Not sure how many weeks before it is a plateau - to me loosing 1 a week feels like a plateau as it is just creeping but I am really trying to make it a lifestyle change too.

We have a breakfast group at work and rotate who brings it in, I told the person earlier this week to make it healthy and she did but everyone is complaining except me and I said they will all feel good after eating it :D

BTW when is RB coming home - anyone know???:rolleyes:

I think at the end of this weekend.

I joined the new (in the UK) Monthly Pass scheme at WW this week. Hopefully this will stop me giving up when the going gets tough, i.e. when I have not been sticking to my points and am bored with 'dieting'. I know it has to be a new way of life but I do find it daunting, the thought that I will always have to restrict what I would really like to eat.

My biggest danger these days is cruising twice a year. So far it has always made me give up and I just eat stupidly. I am hoping this time that posting here will motivate me to stick to the plan and go back to WW after my 3 weeks in November. I have now lost the 6.5lbs that I put on during the last trip. One week cruise plus 2 weeks on land, 4 weeks not going to WW. 4 weeks to gain it and 5 weeks to lose it. So stupid!

What are your Top Tips on not gaining on a cruise other than taking the stairs every time? I mean especially on ordering. We usually eat in the dining room rather than the buffet but when I see the lovely food described on the menus, my natural greed takes over.

cinnamon

I think at the end of this weekend.

I joined the new (in the UK) Monthly Pass scheme at WW this week. Hopefully this will stop me giving up when the going gets tough, i.e. when I have not been sticking to my points and am bored with 'dieting'. I know it has to be a new way of life but I do find it daunting, the thought that I will always have to restrict what I would really like to eat.

My biggest danger these days is cruising twice a year. So far it has always made me give up and I just eat stupidly. I am hoping this time that posting here will motivate me to stick to the plan and go back to WW after my 3 weeks in November. I have now lost the 6.5lbs that I put on during the last trip. One week cruise plus 2 weeks on land, 4 weeks not going to WW. 4 weeks to gain it and 5 weeks to lose it. So stupid!

What are your Top Tips on not gaining on a cruise other than taking the stairs every time? I mean especially on ordering. We usually eat in the dining room rather than the buffet but when I see the lovely food described on the menus, my natural greed takes over.

cinnamon

I have always had the same problem, I will stick to it for a while and then off we go on a trip and it takes me sooo long to get motivated again :eek:

We leave in 5 weeks for a 30 day cruise so I would also love to know how no to put it all back on, I am really going to make an effort to walk every morning as well as doing the stairs and try what I want just keep the portions under control:rolleyes: Last year on our B2B I made an effort not to eat bread at breakfast and lunch and only had 1 breadroll at dinner - had salads for lunch mostly everyday and I think I stayed about the same.

Anyone have any other ideas???:D

I do the same thing. Not this year. I go on my cruise Nov3, I will enjoy myself,and exercise. It is when i come back that i srew up. I told my husband dont let me do that. He has lost 31 pound in 2 months so he does not want to gain it back, so we will both be eachothers lookout.

So do you all really plan to stick to your plans while on your cruise? I am looking forward to forgetting the diet and EATING!! Just curious...

I forget the diet when iam on vacation. You gotta have fun sometimes. We diet all of our lives. It is like a job we need a vacation from:D

That is my trouble. I usually just forget the plan, eat what I like, put on loads of weight, get discouraged and not go back to it afterwards. Hence the yo-yoing. This time, while enjoying the holiday, I am determined not to gain much. I will not be able to stay within my points and enjoy myself, but it will be damage limitation. I hardly drink any alcohol at home but always do when cruising. That is one problem. The other is that I just love the cruise food!!!!!

Cinnamon

I missed you all, too! :D Sure was happy to see that everyone was posting while I was away - and some good topics, too! I even found this thread at the top of the board!

And, the topic for today is VERY timely for me - staying on program while on vacation.

I didn't stick to my points, and I ate things that I should not have. I was in the South, and I had my share of BBQ, Virginia ham, and fried chicken. We also sought out a few Road Food places (www.roadfood.com) for the drive down and back, and we thoroughly enjoyed them I did, however, practice portion control (DW and I would split a plate that, in the past, I would have eaten by myself). And, I also practiced moderation by making some better choices. Here's an interesting observation - as the week wore on, I slipped more and more towards my old eating patterns. Still, I think I probably did better than a typical, at home week before WW and MUCH better than a typical vacation week before WW.

The good news is that I burned a lot of those extra calories off. Lots of long walks, I stuck to my running and picked up the mileage a bit, hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains, rode bikes, and swam. I didn't track the AP's, but I'm sure it was probably well over 60.

Now, here is the critical thing about vacations and WW - the vacation is over, and I am now 100 percent back on program. I haven't gotten on the scale yet, so I don't know the damage, but I'm guessing it is a pound or two. It'll come back off quickly. Now, onward and downward!

Edamame is soybeans, we order them when we go for sushi and they boil them in the pods and sprinkle them with salt.

I have managed to find a couple of places that have dried roasted ones, they are high in fiber and like eating peanuts.

I also buy them in the pods and shelled in the freezer section at the health food grocery stores - my Son loves them and they are healthy.

Cinnamon - Edamame is a Japanese dish - so it comes from across the other pond! I buy the frozen pods and steam them - comes out more like in the restaurant than if you boil them. Use kosher salt rather than regular salt on them. Very tasty!

Here's a thought, how do you keep yourself motivated when the losses are small or not at all? How many weeks of no loss is a plateau?

Beth - I really try to minimize the focus on the scale and try to focus on the lifestyle. There are other, better measurements of progress - how much more easily you can go up a flight of stairs (or run, or bicycle up a hill), how much better clothing fits. The scale is such an imperfect measurement in the short term that it is next to useless - too dependent upon water retention and other issues unrelated to body fat percentage.

I saw a really good post on the weight watchers board re plateaus - I'll try to find it and link to it, although that may not be until I finish my travels and get all the way back home. Basically, it said that much of plateaus may be related to getting a little sloppy about sticking closely to the program.

I missed you all, too! :D Sure was happy to see that everyone was posting while I was away - and some good topics, too! I even found this thread at the top of the board!

And, the topic for today is VERY timely for me - staying on program while on vacation.

I didn't stick to my points, and I ate things that I should not have. I was in the South, and I had my share of BBQ, Virginia ham, and fried chicken. We also sought out a few Road Food places (www.roadfood.com) for the drive down and back, and we thoroughly enjoyed them I did, however, practice portion control (DW and I would split a plate that, in the past, I would have eaten by myself). And, I also practiced moderation by making some better choices. Here's an interesting observation - as the week wore on, I slipped more and more towards my old eating patterns. Still, I think I probably did better than a typical, at home week before WW and MUCH better than a typical vacation week before WW.

The good news is that I burned a lot of those extra calories off. Lots of long walks, I stuck to my running and picked up the mileage a bit, hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains, rode bikes, and swam. I didn't track the AP's, but I'm sure it was probably well over 60.

Now, here is the critical thing about vacations and WW - the vacation is over, and I am now 100 percent back on program. I haven't gotten on the scale yet, so I don't know the damage, but I'm guessing it is a pound or two. It'll come back off quickly. Now, onward and downward!

RB! It's great to have you back! And OMG that link to roadfood! That was awesome. I have to admit that I'm a foodie and I love to explore local and out of the way places for local favorites when on vacation.

I also have to admit and somewhat sheepishly....I have been lurking here for the last week since coming home from an impromptu roadtrip where I ate and drank with reckless abandon! However, we did hike and hike some more so I hope I racked up at least a few APs. I didn't go for my weigh in last week after the trip....I was just too dang scared but I am going in tomorrow.

Maureen

Hello,

I'm a former low carber who joined WW on June 29, I am down 23 lbs and feeling great and found your thread and am so excited.

When I was low carbing since 1999 I'd lose ALOT, then binge on JUNK and gain it back and the cycle kept going and worse yet my MOODS, were horrid. I've discovered since being on WW that I'm mellow, even keeled and loving life.

Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Connie

Hi Connie and welcome. You are doing great, losing 23 lbs.

Welcome back RB, we did miss you but tried hard to keep going without you. I looked at the road food site. I wish we had something similar over here. On our next trip we only have 6 days on land, in Florida, with no driving much except down to Miami for the flight home.

You sound as if you were vey active, I hope the scales are kind.

Cinnamon

So do you all really plan to stick to your plans while on your cruise? I am looking forward to forgetting the diet and EATING!! Just curious...

I have done that so many times but after being on WW since march it is now starting to become a lifestyle change and my thinking has changed - yes I ate pepperoni pizza yesterday - came home wrote it in my journal, looked up the points:eek: :eek: and deducted from my WPA which I knew I could use whereas before I would have just eaten it and said oh well and given up on the 'diet'. These situations have been very few and far between so I am hoping to just make better choices while onboard but not feel deprived even if I taste things.

Welcome back we missed you on here as you could see:D

Hello,

I'm a former low carber who joined WW on June 29, I am down 23 lbs and feeling great and found your thread and am so excited.

When I was low carbing since 1999 I'd lose ALOT, then binge on JUNK and gain it back and the cycle kept going and worse yet my MOODS, were horrid. I've discovered since being on WW that I'm mellow, even keeled and loving life.

Connie

Welcome to this thread:D

It's amazing what eating a balanced diet can do, I notice a big difference in how I feel mood wise when eating a balanced diet and how much more in tune with your body you become!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hello,

Connie

\

Hi, Connie -

You've pretty well described my experiences w/ low-carbing, too! Glad this is working out for you!

Well, I had a pleasant little surprise this morning. I somehow managed to lose 1.4 lbs while I was away!! I did not do well in terms of eating, but I was VERY active (I'll post all about that on the Log Your Exercise Progress thread a little later). Also, as I wrote yesterday, I did not completely lose control - a few meals that were a little over the top, but I still managed to stay somewhat in control (e.g., kid sized ice cream scoops instead of double dips).

The diet gods smiled on me this week!

This time of year, blueberries are plentiful and inexpensive. They are also one of the more nutritious foods around. This website is from a trade organization, but I've read similar things from unbiased sites. They are high in anti-oxidants, low in calories, and they may even keep us sharp as we get older! Just 1 pt for a cup!

Live near a pick your own farm? Pick a bunch and freeze'em to use throughout the year!

What do you think? Onward and downward!

WOW, a great story. I am heartened by the fact that she managed to lose that much even being over 50. I find it so much harder now to lose than I did in my 30s and 40s.

I think it is the 60-90 minutes a day of excercise that does it, I am sure if I did that I would loose the next 30 much quicker and easier - I may be dead but that is my own fault for being such a couch potato:rolleyes: :D :eek:

Archived