Help - Military ID showing "honorable discharge"

ClipClop

Last week I booked a cruise and was supposed to get the military discount. They had my husbands DD214 on file from our previous cruise (we received the discount on that one). Well the paperwork came and no discount. TA is telling me the discount was rejected because the DD214 does not show "honorable" anywhere. My husband was honorably discharged after serving 5 years in the early 80's.. . I guess the commendation medal notation, combat action ribbons and good conduct medal information, and the fact he was in 5 years, doesn't give them a clue it was honorable. Maybe back in the 80's they didn't spell it out unless you were "dishonerable"... I don't know.

Can anyone tell me what other form might show the words "honorable" so I can crawl into the attic, dig out the old trunk, and begin my search.

Last week I booked a cruise and was supposed to get the military discount. They had my husbands DD214 on file from our previous cruise (we received the discount on that one). Well the paperwork came and no discount. TA is telling me the discount was rejected because the DD214 does not show "honorable" anywhere. My husband was honorably discharged after serving 5 years in the early 80's.. . I guess the commendation medal notation, combat action ribbons and good conduct medal information, and the fact he was in 5 years, doesn't give them a clue it was honorable. Maybe back in the 80's they didn't spell it out unless you were "dishonerable"... I don't know.

Can anyone tell me what other form might show the words "honorable" so I can crawl into the attic, dig out the old trunk, and begin my search.

Copy 4 of the DD214 shows the charactor of discharge at the bottom of the page. Also Carnival will except from retired service members a copy of their ID card. For your husband to receive a copy of his DD214 showing charactor of discharge he will have to contact a Veterans Service Center or local VA rep and they can assist him in obtaining the needed documents. They will usually fax a copy (ask nicely) if it is needed in a hurry.

My hubby was honorably discharged in 93 and was given a certificate suitable for framing that says HONORABLY DISCHARGED across the top. I sent it, the first time we cruised, along with his DD214. He may have to go to your local VA and they can give him something in writing. Good Luck! Shouldn't be to much of a hassle, and probably worth it.

Vickie

TA is telling me the discount was rejected because the DD214 does not show "honorable" anywhere. My husband was honorably discharged after serving 5 years in the early 80's.. .

I guess the commendation medal notation, combat action ribbons and good conduct medal information, and the fact he was in 5 years, doesn't give them a clue it was honorable.

The DD214 does show they type of discharge and as stated I believe it is on copy 4.

All the fruit salad in the world doesn't tell anyone anywhere what type of discharge someone received. One has nothing to do with the other.

What happens is when a military person is discharged his/her initial paper work does not have how they were discharged. After a month or so they will receive virtually the same paper work in the mail this time the DD will say Honorable discharged or what his class of discharge was. Same issue happened to me.

What happens is when a military person is discharged his/her initial paper work does not have how they were discharged. After a month or so they will receive virtually the same paper work in the mail this time the DD will say Honorable discharged or what his class of discharge was. Same issue happened to me.

When were you discharged?

Thanks to everyone for their advice... I'll start searching his old military trunk and see what I can dig up. He was discharged November 1985... there is no line 13a on that form and only goes up to 20. The form was created July 79... guess those old forms didn't have as much info. :) If I cannot find anything in the trunk, I'll try the local VA.... thanks again!

Thanks to everyone for their advice... I'll start searching his old military trunk and see what I can dig up. He was discharged November 1985... there is no line 13a on that form and only goes up to 20. The form was created July 79... guess those old forms didn't have as much info. :) If I cannot find anything in the trunk, I'll try the local VA.... thanks again!

I was discharged in 1987, but lost my original DD214. If you have time, just get another one from the VA. I did it all online, and it only took a few weeks and definitely shows the character of discharge. Good thing it has nothing to do with my character. :o :D

Copy 4 of the DD214 shows the charactor of discharge at the bottom of the page. Also Carnival will except from retired service members a copy of their ID card. For your husband to receive a copy of his DD214 showing charactor of discharge he will have to contact a Veterans Service Center or local VA rep and they can assist him in obtaining the needed documents. They will usually fax a copy (ask nicely) if it is needed in a hurry.

Traveler353 has hit the nail on the head. Not all copies of the DD214 reflects the character of discharge. Copy 4 does and that copy is provided to the Veteran. Some Vets may not pay much attention to detail and toss Copy 4 thinking they already have a complete copy of their DD214. This link will take you take you to a site containing instructions on how to request copies of your military records.

ClipClop...years of service and awards received are not always reflective that a servicemember was honorably discharged. They could have done something that resulted in either a general or dishonorable discharge.

In order to retire from the military, your service (regardless of number of years served) has to be honorable. Therefore a retired military ID card is accepted as documentation of honorable service.

Traveler353 has hit the nail on the head. Not all copies of the DD214 reflects the character of discharge. Copy 4 does and that copy is provided to the Veteran. Some Vets may not pay much attention to detail and toss Copy 4 thinking they already have a complete copy of their DD214. This link will take you take you to a site containing instructions on how to request copies of your military records.

ClipClop...years of service and awards received are not always reflective that a servicemember was honorably discharged. They could have done something that resulted in either a general or dishonorable discharge.

In order to retire from the military, your service (regardless of number of years served) has to be honorable. Therefore a retired military ID card is accepted as documentation of honorable service.

So where is this link that you reference? :rolleyes::confused:

does it have anywhere on the document, "special additional information"?my husbands is at the very bottom of the form.line 23 has Type of Seperation: Released From Active Duty, then right beside of that it has line 24 it has Character of Service: Honorable. hope this is some help:)

I had to go through the process of getting a new DD-214 from the VA website mentioned above earlier this year. The process was easy and complete in about 2-3 weeks. I sent a copy to Carnival the day I got it, and got it back about 4 weeks later with a sticky note saying "This appears to be origional - send back," I did get the discount, though.

Do any of you military rate gurus know what Carnival's policy is if the vet has a service related disability but didn't serve a full two years? The vet was discharged honorably but didn't put in two years because of the disability but currently receives VA disability payemnts.

VACruizer,

It is my understanding Carnival extends the military rate to any PAX who presents them with a DD214 reflecting honorable service, regardless of number of years served or when.

If you are rated 100% by the VA, you and your spouse are entitled to ID cards and access to military exchanges, commissaries, MWR facilities, etc.

I was dishonorable discharge to attend a commissioning program :) Even though the paperwork said Honorable there was a code on the DD214 that inidicated Dishonorable. The only way I knew the code was wrong was when the Finance Office called me to recoup the Vacation Pay that I had received! Needless to say I got a corrected copy within a few weeks. And, if that doesn't work I have my second DD214 when I was discharged again in 1992 due to the drawdown :)

Just to update everyone... his DD214 did not have any area listing type of discharge and hubby did not have a copy 4. I doubt he threw it out since he's a pack-rat and even has all his pays stubs. Lucky for me he is a pack-rat and I was able to find his "Honorable Discharge" certificate which was accepted by Carnival. Thanks again for everyone's suggestion.

I just booked a Carnival cruise using a military discount. They had my hub's records from the past using the discount, but told my TA that the papers must be presented again and within 72 hours of the booking or it would not be honored!!!

Archived