Yikes-broke my pinky toe -- which shoes for formal night???

Robinbird

I can't believe I broke my right pinky toe Sunday night! Now I can't wear my heels with my formal dress. The dress is long, so I need the 1 1/2 inch heels or the dress is draggin' the ground. Any suggestions? We leave Sunday -- maybe it'll be better by then, but I want to be prepared. Thanks!

No suggestions, but I do sympathize with you. I broke my big toe a couple days before a cruise on the Enchantment and had the same problem. I ended up wearing flip flops on formal night because I needed the space to accommodate the wrapped toe and I couldn't bear the weight on my toe of wearing a higher heel. I took a cane with me, so folks would know I had mobility challenges and just not think I was a fashion dumbo.

Flip flops won't help with you with the length of your gown, though. I hope you recover soon.

No suggestions, but I do sympathize with you. I broke my big toe a couple days before a cruise on the Enchantment and had the same problem. I ended up wearing flip flops on formal night because I needed the space to accommodate the wrapped toe and I couldn't bear the weight on my toe of wearing a higher heel. I took a cane with me, so folks would know I had mobility challenges and just not think I was a fashion dumbo.

Flip flops won't help with you with the length of your gown, though. I hope you recover soon.

BUT......I have seen pretty high heeled flip flop type shoes - that might be what you need to go look for.

I dislocated my pinky toe a few years ago - I know how annoying and painful it can be - I hope you're feeling better soon and enjoy your cruise!

I can't believe I broke my right pinky toe Sunday night! Now I can't wear my heels with my formal dress. The dress is long, so I need the 1 1/2 inch heels or the dress is draggin' the ground. Any suggestions? We leave Sunday -- maybe it'll be better by then, but I want to be prepared. Thanks!

Ouch! Last time I broke mine it swelled up to the size of my big toe and my entire foot turned black!

You only choice will probably be a platform flip flop.

I can empathize. It is so painful!

yup, flat and doesn't touch the toe or put any pressure on it.

if you have a friend that is handy with the sewing machine might just hem the dress. quite simple to do.

543914384.jpg Just ordered these for overnight delivery! (FREE overnight delivery from endless.com.) Also bought a pair of black platform flipflops at the mall as a backup. (My dress is dark blue.) Thanks for the advice of the platform flipflops -- just didn't even think of that!

543914384.jpgJust ordered these from endless.com which provides FREE overnight shipping! Also bought a pair of black platform flipflops as an emergency back-up. (That should insure more posts about wearing flipflops in the dining room!) My formal dress is dark blue, so I'm feeling relieved to have found some cute shoes that don't TOUCH the sore pinky toe! :)

543914384.jpgJust ordered these from endless.com which provides FREE overnight shipping! Also bought a pair of black platform flipflops as an emergency back-up. (That should insure more posts about wearing flipflops in the dining room!) My formal dress is dark blue, so I'm feeling relieved to have found some cute shoes that don't TOUCH the sore pinky toe! :)

I am so glad you found a great pair of shoes -- and the great website!

I am a veteran of many broken pinky toes. Ouch. Just be careful that you don't fall out of the shoe! Maybe you can put some pads on the insole that will help grip your foot to the shoe.

Feel better and very cute shoes.

--Judy

Keep us informed on how it goes! I know some breaks are worse than others but I don't think I could have worn the above shoe my foot hurt so badly.

Endless is really Amazon.com...I think they are trying to get into the Zappos act with the free shipping!!

Oh I didn't know this. I am buying from Zappos on a weekly basis:eek: . I'll go over and check them out. If they can beat Zappos prices and selections they WILL give them a run for the money.

Thanks!!

ouch. if its floor length, wear those cheap silk house shoes at walmart. happened to me once the night before a wedding. no one even noticed. also, you could do a thong style kitten heel. i have a pair in black and wear them with almost everything. if you get a pair with glitter or sequins, even better

Sorry about your toe, Robinbird. Happened to me one month before I sailed on the Majesty back in 2005. Thankfully, Lebos (http://www.lebos.com/site/category.cfm?id=4994B1D1-50DA-196C-0DFD34F031291306) had some stretchy sandals to go with my pink gown so I could buddy-tape my broken toe and it wouldn't hurt so much.

And honestly, the only thing I wanted to do but couldn't was snorkel in Cozumel. Beyond that I wore my velcro foot brace and had a blast! Hope everything goes well for you. Just remember, something with a little give.

Been there - done that, got that t-shirt! Only mine was a formal dinner dance that was a business thing for my husband's company. I broke the toe 24 hours before the event. As somone mentioned above, mine was taped to the toe next to it and the bruising on my foot was every color of the bruise rainbow. Like you, I didn't want to look "styleless" in flat shoes and a fomal gown. I will tell you, from experience, that heels and a painful broken little toe do not mix. It doesn't matter that the shoes are open toe or thong style design. The pressure on the front of the foot from high heels was excrutiating for me. You may be different because your toe will have some time to heal before you need to wear dress shoes.

My solution was to switch to evening pants and a beaded jacket which I could wear with low heeled thong style dress sandals.

Archived