Best Coat/Rain Gear for Baltic in September?

plgrant

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking of wearing our leather jackets on our Baltic cruise Aug 30 to Sept 9. We think they will serve OK as rain gear and keep us warm. And we like that they can be dressed up or down accordingly. We used them in Scotland last year and we were essentially weather protected, but they were a pain to carry around inside the museums and restaurants. Is there a better option?

Thank you!

Penelope G.

In a word ..... layers! We're sailing the Baltic on Sept 1 and will be taking what worked extremely well in Alaska last May, which was a fleece vest and then a waterproof jacket that we could layer over it. We wore either a short- or long-sleeve t-shirt under, depending on forcast for the day. And on one particularly cool day I put a sweatshirt on over the t-shirt and then the vest and jacket. Doing this also allows for easy stashing of layers if you get too warm.

Enjoy your trip! Maybe we'll see each other at sea! :)

For travel we layer. DH has a 'golf type' water resistant pullover. I have a very light weight LLBean raincoat. If we think is going to be cold we take a sweater to layer. Carrying leather coats (off and on) when you are in and out of buildings can get annoying. We take a carry bag and stuff the layers we don't need into the bag. Worst case the 'rain' wear gets draped over the bag or tied around the waist.

Even though many of the temps on our trip were in the 60s it was never really cold. I guess that goes with it was never really dark either. After a couple of days I went back to wearing skirts or capris. Jeans were just too warm.

September can be very mild, not usually requiring heavy coats. The temperatures will be upper 60sF to 75F but be prepared for showers with a light water proof wind breaker. Dressing in light layers is easy since you can leave any extra clothes in your van if it gets warm, or put on another layer if it cools down.

The weather in September is typically the best of the summer; mild, less wind and less chance of rain. It is also less crowded and more relaxed

My husband and I have gore tex jackets. Well worth the investment. Order on line from LLBean or Land's End. They breath so you don't get hot in them. Don't even carry an umbrella. Yes, we layer with sweater if it is cold.

I think that leather jackets will be much too heavy for that time of year. We were on the Baltic cruise in September and we would have had no need for that type of jacket. I always keep a small umbrella in my day bag but I never used it. We only wore lightweight jackets a few times and most days we didn't use any type of jacket at all. In fact it was rather warm in some of the ports.

We purchased Men's and Women's Raincoats from L.L. Bean. They are wonderful. They fold up so you can easily carry them in a small bag and they go down to the knee. They are great in rainy weather. They are called

New Stowaway Parka

Keith

We too did the Baltic last year on essentially the same dates and it was nice, 70 degrees or better in most of the ports. The only time I needed a warm jacket was in the early morning as we were docking in Oslo and Stockholm. The remainder of the days, a light jacket or sweater was plenty and it generally stayed in my bag.

We chose to take a couple small umbrellas and some disposable rain ponchos. The LL Bean poncho sounds like a good idea.

Enjoy your cruise, it will be awesome.

Archived