shipping luggage ahead

sharisoda

Have any of you tried "Virtual Bellboy"? It is one of the shipping companies which will pick up your luggage at your door and then have it at the cruiseship when you arrive. I'm seriously thinking of doing this, since I'll be spending time in other cities and taking several trains before I even arrive at the city of departure. I know it will cost at least $100, maybe more....

What do you think?

Shari

I looked them up www.virtualbellhop.com and you're pretty close with the pricing. A medium suitcase of 45 lbs. or less is a little over $100 each way. That is for a 3-5 day delivery.

I've not used them before, but I know I've read comments from kitty9 who has used them in the past.

I wonder if mailing or shipping by UPS to your final destination hotel, before the cruise portion (US locality) would be a bit less. I think it would be worth checking out. I know I've mailed stuff home from a vacation before. I worked (many years ago :o ) at a hotel and we would hold packages for guests who would be arriving shortly.

Larger suitcases or two way shipping, heck you might as well buy a new wardrobe along the way ;)

I have a friend that used it once. It IS very expensive. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Just pack light and make sure you have suitcase with a sturdy wheel system.

Are you taking trains here in the states? Or flying to Europe and training it to the port? You mention spending time in other cities. Overnights?

Guess I'm a bit unsure of your plans, but still would recommend you to pack light and haul your own bag.

Have any of you tried "Virtual Bellboy"? It is one of the shipping companies which will pick up your luggage at your door and then have it at the cruiseship when you arrive. I'm seriously thinking of doing this, since I'll be spending time in other cities and taking several trains before I even arrive at the city of departure. I know it will cost at least $100, maybe more....

What do you think?

Shari

If you're going to other cities first, won't you need clothes? What will you be using for that?

I can't imagine not carrying my own luggage with me, because "what if" something happens and, even with this service, your luggage gets lost? Or doesn't get to the ship on time before you sail?

To each his own. I can understand why some people might want to try it to ship their clothes HOME, but not going TO a cruise.

I would never do it!

Sharon H.

I used Luggage Free to ship my bag of scuba equipment from California to Barbados when I went on my cruise last year. It cost a fortune, almost $800 round trip. Traveling solo, and packing as much as I do, I could not handle that many bags myself.

I'm doing it again this fall, to Barbados again, but going with a company called The Luggage Club. About the same amount. Peace of mind though; my scuba gear is expensive and not having to struggle with several large, heavy bags is a bonus. If you can avoid using them, I'd really recommend it. So very expensive. I'm not worried about the luggage getting lost. It's the cost that hurts. This will probably be the last time I do this.

Jane

The thought of shipping my luggage came to my mind just last week when I flew to St.Louis for a conference, had one connection to make and both my originating flight as well as the connecting were delayed. Yet, for some unknown reason my luggage did not get transfered to the connecting plane.

I have had delayed arrival of luggage when coming home and even though it is a bit disturbing it is not uncomfortable. This was awful, and dumb, dumb usually puts one change of clothes in her carry on didn't this time. I did have something to sleep in, but no clean underwear, bra or business casual clothes to wear to my first meeting.

I had checked with the airlines first thing in the morning, yes your bag was located it will be delivered by 12:30 pm. Well, 12:30 no bag, again airlines apology it will be delivered by 3:30pm. After walking 6 blocks to and from the hotel to my meetings 6 times to check on the bag it still had not been delivered. I had a dinner appointment and it was 90 plus humid degrees, I was hot not just from the weather. So, I decided that the airline was just making excuses, since I could not talk to a live person. All I would get was a recorded message. I went shopping, bought some mix and match items, and of course underwear! I then went back to the hotel and took my second shower of the day, but this time had clean clothes to put on. Before leaving for my dinner the bellman called and delivered my bag.

I keep thinking what in the world do they do if you are on a cruise leaving out of Barcelona, like I am doing next year?

So, shipping is sort of sounding pretty good to me.

DH and I had thought of doing this but I had no idea it was so expensive:eek: . We always overpack and I like to have extra room in my cases for our purchases, so we wanted to ship the bags instead of lugging them through the airports.

In the past we have just paid the overages with the airlines. I guess you have to pay one way or another.:rolleyes:

Has anyone used FedEx or UPS to ship bags to a hotel?

We fly to Fort Lauderdale one day before a cruise.

I am wondering about each of us taking a carry on bag and shipping one larger one to the hotel by FedEx or UPS.

(The trip home, after the cruise, will not be a problem.)

USPS (the POST OFFICE) is considerably cheaper than UPS/FedEx. Priority Mail (3/4 days) goes via air. With delivery confirmation AND insurance will run about 1/2 of UPS/FedEx. And you can get the amount of insurance you REALLY need, not what is allowed by UPS/FedEx WITHOUT paying extra.

Just make sure the hotel will accept your package. Call them before you ship and speak to the concierge.

I am in the global logistics business, travel to Asia/South America frequently for business. I often ship clothes, paperwork, etc. to/from meetings using the Post Office. I can't get a better deal and I am in the business.

What do you think?

Shari

If you want your luggage delivered to the cruise ship, you should check with your cruiseline first. Some cruiselines will not accept deliveries - I checked with Celebrity and they do not accept shipped luggage.

I'm glad someone started this thread. We took our first cruise to the Med last month and we travel space available on airlines because my hubby works for one. So we don't check luggage if we can avoid it and if we do, we have to gate check.

I was thinking if I have to do this 10 years from now, it will be hard physically, so I wondered if there was anyway you could ship ahead of time.

Will keep this in mind for future trips!

WanttoCruiseAgain: This luggage thing has me perplexed...I too travel as a non-rev passenger and usually check a bag which will arrive with me unless I don't make the flight and have to wait to get another. Sometimes, wish I could just travel with one carry-on but for longer trips, it doesn't always work. Plus I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery and lifting bags into the overhead bins is not possible now. Could you explain how you gate-check bags? Is this what you do in case you don't get on the flight so your bag will still be with you? I didn't even know you could do this. Thanks in advance.

WanttoCruiseAgain: This luggage thing has me perplexed...I too travel as a non-rev passenger and usually check a bag which will arrive with me unless I don't make the flight and have to wait to get another. Sometimes, wish I could just travel with one carry-on but for longer trips, it doesn't always work. Plus I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery and lifting bags into the overhead bins is not possible now. Could you explain how you gate-check bags? Is this what you do in case you don't get on the flight so your bag will still be with you? I didn't even know you could do this. Thanks in advance.

We go through the security with all our bags. If the flight is full and we are one of the last ones to get on, sometimes all the bins are full. So then we tell the agent to gate check our luggage. They put a luggage tag on it and they take it down to the plane from the jetway. In BCN, it was different, we had to wait to see if we got on the flight (Alitalia), then they took our bags and checked them from the ticket counter.

BTW, my husband is going to the ortho today about his rotator cuff problems. He won't lift passengers bags anymore (except for kids and older people). He tells them if they can't put their luggage in the overhead themselves, then they need to check it. Somehow, they find a way. :)

I looked into this for a planned cruise that we didn't get to go on, but we were just going to add it in as a cost of travel. It is expensive, but if it's the only way you can manage go for it.

I think Cunard's White Star Service (DHL) is the only line that will let you ship it direct to the port....they will have it waiting in your cabin.

Otherwise, you would need to arrange a hotel pre cruise and have the luggage shipped there.

Has anyone used FedEx or UPS to ship bags to a hotel?

We fly to Fort Lauderdale one day before a cruise.

I am wondering about each of us taking a carry on bag and shipping one larger one to the hotel by FedEx or UPS.

(The trip home, after the cruise, will not be a problem.)

I have used UPS very successfully. I call the hotel before shipping the bags to verify that this is acceptable, then I package the bag in a cardboard box and ship it UPS. A lot cheaper than the to the ship services. The best part is that you can track the movement of the bag and then call the hotel to verify it has arrived and they know about it. Also, you now have the bag in your possion before the cruise and can take it to the pier. I would alsway worry about the bags arriving propely with the other companies, particularly with Saturday and Sunday sailings as the bags can not be delivered to the ship until the day of sailing and on a Sunday that means the luggage company has to have people around to make sure it gets to the pier on a Sunday morning. Knowing how few people enjoy working on a Sunday and how little they pay people I always wonder if someone might just blow off the day and I am on a ship somewhere and my luggae is still in a warehouse.

I've used VB a couple of times. The first time it was a good experience, the second time, they lost one of my bags and claimed that I lied about it to get the insurance money. Believe me, the insurance didn't come close to covering the cost of what I lost.

Anyway, I found that if you ship your bags independently, using Fed Ex or DHL, the cost is less than half of using a shipping service. I sent two bags to Copenhagen via DHL, they were both between 45 and 55 lbs and the cost for both of them was under $400. On that same cruise, to the same location, another passenger used VB and she paid $1500 for two bags. Both DHL and Fed Ex will come to your house to pick up the bags. It's very simple.

But, you must know if the cruise line you're shipping to accepts shipped luggage. Most mass market lines do not, so you'd have to find someplace to ship the bags to, and then retreive them yourself. I know Celebrity, Princess, Carnival and RCCI do not accept shipped bags. Crystal, Seabourn, Regent and Silversea do accept bags shipped to their port agents or to their ships.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone shipped bags, to a hotel, recently?

We go to Fort Lauderdale the day bevore the cruise. Thought about asking the hotel whether they would accept the bag for us. Is the hotel manager, day manager, the proper person to call?

Archived