Galaxy vs Century

tams531

Century is smaller, more refined. Galaxy still has a T-pool and has not been renovated as has Century. The itineraries of Century are normally in Northern Europe and the western Mediterranean, short 4/5 day cruises out of Miami; Galaxy sails in the Eastern Mediterranean and 10/11 day cruises out of San Juan in the winter. Food and service is similar, Century is classier. Let your choice of itinerary pick the ship. Both have their advantages. We have sailed several times on both.

Thanks for your response! Out of curiousity....where is that beautiful church? building? in your two pictures....they are both breathtaking pictures!

In case C2C doesn't check back - the mosque is in Istanbul. It's a beautiful sail in/ sail away.

I was curious about answers to the Century vs. Galaxy question also. I've sailed Galaxy (to Itstanbul) and loved her. Century is up next in a month. I'll be able to answer the question then.

Thanks for your response! Out of curiousity....where is that beautiful church? building? in your two pictures....they are both breathtaking pictures!

The first is a photo of Century in Flam, Norway this year, the mosque is a picture when on Galaxy in the Mediterranean (Istanbul) last year.

I haven't sailed on Gallaxy, but on Mercury and Century.

Century was my very first (and seventh) cruise and she is very special to me.

However, I liked pool area better of Mercury, especially whirlpools locations. T-pool is a great place to relax (it's not free, unless you are in suite), and I don't really like that it's been removed on new Century...

Mercury and Gallaxy have small covered backpool, although it's too small for my liking.

All three ships have different shades of wood, of which Gallaxy is lightest (is there such a word? :o )

Century now has flat screen TV's and updated bathrooms.. and I think cabins are a bit nicer.. But it's minor. I think if you loved Century you'll enjoy Gallaxy. :)

The "New" Galaxy will start sailing next May after being refurbished in Bridgetown. It will then also have a new specialty restaurant. I expect the whole covered pool area at the rear will be redone.

have not been on Galaxy yet but we are hoping she is more like the Mercury..century was very nice--great service & staff but still an old ship with some modern upgrades! Guess it is a matter of personal taste

have not been on Galaxy yet but we are hoping she is more like the Mercury..century was very nice--great service & staff but still an old ship with some modern upgrades! Guess it is a matter of personal taste

They are actually pretty similar ships in age. Century - 1995, Galaxy - 1996, Mercury - 1997. There is no noticable difference in term of age and for that matter in size.

Question re Century staterooms - I was looking at a Family Ocean View w/ Verandah so we could take our teenage daughter and her friend - february Carribean. However, Celebrity will not book this for 4 pax, only 5 (unless they get released closer to the cruise.

So, I was looking at a Deluxe Ocean View w/ Verandah and an inside across the hall as an alternative. The difference is only $125.00 total with taxes and port charges, unless the Travel planner with Celebrity made a mistake. I am not clear on the differences with the acception of the Family Ocean View being at the AFT of the ship (Panarama deck). Any comments? I really do not need either conceirge or Butler or fresh flowers for 4 days.

I have never been on Celebrity, only Hal as far as mass market lines. I understand I will not get a fruit basket but we rarely eat any of that anyway as there is so much food anyway.

Can anyone tell me about the staterooms and recommendations? There are a lot of categories on Celebrity. The teenagers do not want to sleep up off a wall. Also, is room service breakfast included in the cruise fare and is it a full/hot breakfast? Is it avalable the last morning? What time do you need to e out of the staterooms. Hal lets you wait in your cabin.

With 3 women, you want the two rooms. If you all share the FOV you will never get the bathroom. They are great cabins with smaller kids, but with teens, getting ready for dinner could be a long process. Take the two cabins, You will have to put one teen in a room with one adult. You don't have to sleep that way, but with their booking rules, you'll need to.

With 3 women, you want the two rooms. If you all share the FOV you will never get the bathroom. They are great cabins with smaller kids, but with teens, getting ready for dinner could be a long process. Take the two cabins, You will have to put one teen in a room with one adult. You don't have to sleep that way, but with their booking rules, you'll need to.

I asked and the rep said we could put the teens in the room without an adult (listed that way). One is my stepdaughter and one is her friend, all with different last names. One is 15 and the other 16. They said they could do this.

Also, I saw a photo on an on-line agent web site of the 2A Verandah on Century and, no offense, but the room looked very holiday Inn, it was blue with cheap looking covers. Perhaps this was before the dry dock renovations? Is there that big a difference between the 2A Verandah Stateroom and conceriage level stateroom? The pics were night and day.

Also, my Dh saw a pic of the Murana resturant and thought it was ugly. "what is that"? Again, perhaps old photos? I heard it was great but my DH is an Italian Chef so perhaps we would skip it anyway.

Also, I saw a photo on an on-line agent web site of the 2A Verandah on Century and, no offense, but the room looked very holiday Inn, it was blue with cheap looking covers. Perhaps this was before the dry dock renovations? Is there that big a difference between the 2A Verandah Stateroom and conceriage level stateroom? The pics were night and day.

Also, my Dh saw a pic of the Murana resturant and thought it was ugly. "what is that"? Again, perhaps old photos? I heard it was great but my DH is an Italian Chef so perhaps we would skip it anyway.

No offense but I think I see the potential for a problem....

Murano was part of last year's renovation and therefore the picture will be up to date. If you start out with negative attitudes about pictures that you can access you will see more problems with the real thing.

We love Century and think Murano is the nicest looking specialty dining room in the fleet. Check out Celebrity's website about other pictures. Personal tastes are personal tastes but don't expect 5 star hotel accommodations in Celebrity ships. Staterooms are adequate but unless you're in a suite, you will find 170 sq feet to be smaller than any Holiday Inn room.

No offense but I think I see the potential for a problem....

Murano was part of last year's renovation and therefore the picture will be up to date. If you start out with negative attitudes about pictures that you can access you will see more problems with the real thing.

We love Century and think Murano is the nicest looking specialty dining room in the fleet. Check out Celebrity's website about other pictures. Personal tastes are personal tastes but don't expect 5 star hotel accommodations in Celebrity ships. Staterooms are adequate but unless you're in a suite, you will find 170 sq feet to be smaller than any Holiday Inn room.

You are right but I have never had a problem on any cruise because I ask before I go. I have never been on Celebrity and the diff category staterooms are confusing. HAL just has Inside, Outside, Verandah, Superior Verandah (some ships have something between the Verandah and Superior) and PH. Since all staterooms gets robes, fruit baskets etc it is not as confusing.

I am trying to compare with the Westerdam since we just got off. Do you know if the 170 square feet includes the Verandah? (I think Hal's standard Verandah staterooms on the Westerdam are about 245 sq ft). I was also trying to find out if the 2A's had the upgraded cabins with orange/red color scheme vs the blue I just saw in a photo?

Do you know if the 170 square feet includes the Verandah? (I think Hal's standard Verandah staterooms on the Westerdam are about 245 sq ft). I was also trying to find out if the 2A's had the upgraded cabins with orange/red color scheme vs the blue I just saw in a photo?

The balcony is in addition to the 170 but it won't get up to 245 ft.

The maroon/red color is now standard but I thought the covers show wear faster than they should.

Hera are some links to past posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=444800

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=490613

You are right but I have never had a problem on any cruise because I ask before I go. I have never been on Celebrity and the diff category staterooms are confusing. HAL just has Inside, Outside, Verandah, Superior Verandah (some ships have something between the Verandah and Superior) and PH. Since all staterooms gets robes, fruit baskets etc it is not as confusing.

I am trying to compare with the Westerdam since we just got off. Do you know if the 170 square feet includes the Verandah? (I think Hal's standard Verandah staterooms on the Westerdam are about 245 sq ft). I was also trying to find out if the 2A's had the upgraded cabins with orange/red color scheme vs the blue I just saw in a photo?

HAL's "standard" balcony cabins are the largest in the industry for the mainstream brands. They're closer to mini-suites of the other lines, though not as large as the Princess minis, for example.

If you're looking for a cabin similar in size to the HAL balconies, you'll need to look at the suites on Celebrity. There just aren't any standard cabins that are a direct equivalent in size.

Muranos is actually quite appealling & has a small alcove ( called the wine cellar where a larger group can enjoy a table together..very classy. Service is exellent & it is the best specialty rest. we have been to. The updated bedding & decor (maroon & tan?) are very appealing-like a very good hotel... very clean looking yet plush..the bowl sink looks nice but is splashy..We liked the flat screen Tv so much we just bought the same one for our BR at home... Can't believe the 3 ships are same vintage--Century is so old feeling in some spots even with the updating -- esp the outdoor pool area & where you have to go up & down stairs to get to some decks out of the dining rm...but then again I am a big fan of Mercury--just love that ship! I don't think any Celeb ship is a bad choice unless the pods get you !

Muranos is actually quite appealling & has a small alcove ( called the wine cellar where a larger group can enjoy a table together..very classy. Service is exellent & it is the best specialty rest. we have been to. The updated bedding & decor (maroon & tan?) are very appealing-like a very good hotel... very clean looking yet plush..the bowl sink looks nice but is splashy..We liked the flat screen Tv so much we just bought the same one for our BR at home... Can't believe the 3 ships are same vintage--Century is so old feeling in some spots even with the updating -- esp the outdoor pool area & where you have to go up & down stairs to get to some decks out of the dining rm...but then again I am a big fan of Mercury--just love that ship! I don't think any Celeb ship is a bad choice unless the pods get you !

Great thanks! I never asked so many questions until I found CC. I was looking for a short getaway (4 day), was looking at a Suite for 4 and then thought why do I need two teenagers in my cabin...:) Of course than I realized these 4 day/5 night cruises have 2 sea days which was the same amount on my Med Cruise, so maybe I would like at least a small balcony.

Ok, another question, can you book Muranos (as well as the excursions) before you go, or is it first come once you board? At least with Hal its paid and done but you can get a full refund 10 days before departure. Perhaps I would go with Dh for dinner and leave the girls because they would probably like to dine one night without us anyway :) Also, is the one formal on the short cruise generally the first sea day (3rd night of 5 night cruise) or has it been the second night?

Archived