To Scooter or not to Scooter

ashleycrew

I am considering renting a scooter end of the month. I have never been to Key west and want to cover as much as possible and personally would prefer not to walk around all day in 90 degree plus temp. I have been to Bermuda and agree that there heck no way to dangerous. What about Key West is it safe. My wife and I both have motorcycles here at home so there is not fear of the riding but I have learned when conjested it can be dangerous. I am interested in others opinios and especially those who have rented a scooter in Key West before. Thanks for your input...

Key West is so small, approx 4 x 1.25 miles, that bicycles seem to be the best way to tour the island. A zillion scooters are rented every day but IMO you have to worry about parking, which is restricted in places and renters have gotten tickets, and while you are may be a save driver, there are others who don't know what they are doing. And you have to put up with cars, delivery trucks, bigger motorcycles, etc. (I run a Duc 1098s and am afraid of scooters and have never used one)

Bicycles are less expensive and there are special places to lock & leave them in Key West. The nicest trip is to ride down Whitehead to South Street and along South to Reynolds. This takes you to Higgs Beach where you can ride out onto the White Street Pier. Then along Atlantic Blvd to Bertha and along Smathers Beach out to the airport. This is the nicest place to be in Key West in the morning. You ride into the sunrise.

You can continue around but I like coming back the same way but going back up Simonton instead of Duval or Whitehead.

Note, though, that if you rent a scooter make sure you look it over for missing or broken parts, torn seats, etc. Note any such on the contract or refuse that scooter just in case.

Pjk

We visit Key West frequently for land vacations and rent a double scooter every time we go -- my husband drives and I get to sit on the back and just enjoy the view. It's a great way to get around, especially when it's so hot out -- you create your own breeze. :) We've rented from a couple different places, but we've had the best experiences renting from Moped Hospital on Truman. It's a great way to get around and see a lot of the island -- some places we probably wouldn't venture out to without a scooter.

Key West can be very congested, especially when the cruise ships are docked and there is more traffic in town. If you ride motorcycles, obviously you know one of the most important things is to watch out for everyone else, because they sure won't be on the lookout for you. We've had people walk out in front of us without even looking up.

Parking is tight in Key West, but we've never had a problem parking the scooter close to where we want to go. There are lots of designated spots for scooter and motorcycle parking -- just be sure to read and pay attention to the signs (and the lines drawn on the street) and you will be fine. Yes -- we got a parking ticket the first time we rented a scooter! :p We parked at the end of a long line of scooters, but we were just outside the "box" -- it was our fault, we just didn't pay close enough attention. Just FYI -- it was on Caroline Street just off Duval, around the corner from The Bull & Whistle. Be careful if you park there -- I've heard that's where they get a lot of people. ;)

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time. Key West is one of our favorite places on earth. We cruise frequently, but have never been to Key West as a port stop -- I'd be too sad to get back on the ship and leave. :o

Beth is right on with the scooter advice, starting with Moped Hospital. Those people have been around for many years and run a good business.

Just be very careful as Key West can be quite congested and many persons (both locals and tourists) are injured and even killed on scooters in Key West each year.

Have a great visit!

Mike:)

Ashley, I am a police officer, so I have a little bit of experience with scooter mishaps in the Keys.

First, I will tell you that renting a scooter in Key West is far safer than any other port your ship will go to. That's because you're on home soil and you know the driving laws and courtesies.

That being said, tourists tend to become brain-dead when they hop on a scooter or bicycle. That's when bad things happen. Please remember that the majority of traffic around you are locals who are trying to get here or there and don't care about your sight-seeing. Just drive regulary and you should be fine.

Peter gave a good route. The high-accident areas of that route are near the Hemingway House on Whitehead, and near the Southermost Hotel on South St.

If you do rent scooters, please, please be careful about red lights and stop signs. I say this because Hubby and I drive to Key West about every six to eight weeks. People on scooters frighten me every time we are in town. Tourists are so busy enjoying the sights, they just seem unaware of stop signs and sigmal lights. They make left turns right in front of folks who have the right of way.

Our experience is that Duval Street is the worst for scooters. They dart in and out of traffic, ride two abreast. They don't lookout for automobile and truck traffic. There is so much of interest on Duval, I don't blame them, but we have had some close shaves with scooters on this street.

I hope you love Key West as much as we do.

Archived