Celebrity Century question

MikeV101

It is my understanding that this ship has recently been refurbished. Has anyone been on this ship since the refurbishing and can you provide some details? We are looking at the 5-night Key West/Grand Cayman Cruise

1. Is this a good cruise for kids ages 10 - 14?

2. How is the pool? Do they have a slide?

3. How is the food?

4. What is there to do in Key West for the kids (one of the excursions)

thanks so much!!

It is my understanding that this ship has recently been refurbished. Has anyone been on this ship since the refurbishing and can you provide some details? We are looking at the 5-night Key West/Grand Cayman Cruise

3. How is the food?

thanks so much!!

Hi, I am taking this cruise and have never been on Celebrity. We are taking my stepdaughter (and a friend tbd) and then Dh and I can go to the Med on Hal next summer. I am responding because I was in Key West about 10 years ago with a girlfriend. I am taking the teenagers snorkeling. I just have to figure out who I can use independently of the ship as I prefer not having 50 people on one boat. There is also a great ShipWreck Museum. My stepdaughter hates all museums, but I would think most children would find all the stuff about pirates and the gold (They had a bar you could touch last time I was there) would interest most children.

There is also the train around town.

3. How is the food?

thanks so much!!

Don't bank on getting in to Key West!

We were unable to in Oct 2005, due to the aftermath of hurricane Wilma, a tidal wave flooded the town to a depth of 6Ft of water.

One passenger said it was the 3rd time they had been unable to get in.

I have not been on Century, but understand the major re-fit created extra balcony cabins.

Personally Celebrity is my favourite, we have been on Infinity July 2003 ( To Alaska, but somewhat large IMO) Galaxy Oct 2005( Transatlantic) and will be on Mercury in Jan 2008- Australia & New Zealand.

I think the food is excellent; a travel agent on our table commented, 5* cruising at 4* prices.

I cannot comment on children's activities. The pools on the Century class do not have slides, but there is an indoor Thalassotherapy pool, but I do not think children are allowed in. I paid $110 for 2 weeks, but gym users managed to access for nothing, which I thought highly unfair, especially as the gym was free.

Don't bank on getting in to Key West!

We were unable to in Oct 2005, due to the aftermath of hurricane Wilma, a tidal wave flooded the town to a depth of 6Ft of water.

One passenger said it was the 3rd time they had been unable to get in.

I have not been on Century, but understand the major re-fit created extra balcony cabins.

Personally Celebrity is my favourite, we have been on Infinity July 2003 ( To Alaska, but somewhat large IMO) Galaxy Oct 2005( Transatlantic) and will be on Mercury in Jan 2008- Australia & New Zealand.

I think the food is excellent; a travel agent on our table commented, 5* cruising at 4* prices.

I cannot comment on children's activities. The pools on the Century class do not have slides, but there is an indoor Thalassotherapy pool, but I do not think children are allowed in. I paid $110 for 2 weeks, but gym users managed to access for nothing, which I thought highly unfair, especially as the gym was free.

I am more afraid of not making it into Cayman. I hear that port gets canceled a lot. However, we are booked for February.

Doesn't the ship have to legally stop somewhere because of the Jones Act? I asked on another thread.

I want to know what port gets substituted for either Key West or Grand Cayman?

3. How is the food?

thanks so much!!

CENTURY had a MAJOR overhaul in 2006 ...a $55million

overhaul......314 balconies, a new Specialty Restaurant,

cabins redone, a new Aqua Spa Cafe, a new Martini Bar,.....

I sailed her 3 times prior to the overhaul....have yet to sail

her again since. But will be back on her in December.

If you go to the X website you will find more specific information

on what was done.

Jade, sailing in February? I could see no reason why the port

would get canceled. When you say it gets cancelled alot?

Depends on when you are sailing....if it is in Sept then there

is always a chance weather is a factor.

I have sailed there 1/2 dozen times. You won't be able to find

out now (in August) if there will be a substitute for a cruise

in February. And it might be another sea day, which if fine for

many of us.

To the OP, the food on Century has always been wonderful

on my sailings.

I don't remember there being a slide on any of the X ships.

Hi Mike,

We did the 5 day Century sailing in April '07 (our second Celebrity cruise) and were very pleased. We traveled with our 17, 14 and 7 yr old sons and they all had a great time.

1. Is this a good cruise for kids ages 10 - 14? I don't know when you are planning to travel, but assuming it is a school vacation timeframe, there will be plenty of pre-teens on-board and therefore, lots of fun to be had. Celebrity's short Carib. cruises (5 days is considered short) cater to a younger demographic and to more families then some other their other itineraries, so don't be scared off by others saying that Celebrity will not have families. Our teens had a wonderful time on both our Celebrity cruises. We have always planned exciting and interesting activities in port and kept them busy on the ship. Celebrity has teen programs that are well run and vary in attendance...my guys did some activities and hung out with each other, us or new friends other times. Century will not have rock climbing walls or skating rinks like other ships...there is a dedicated teen space and an arcade, but if you kids require non-stop kid entertainment...Century may seem a bit more adult (elegant) than an RCI or Carnival ship. Our boys really enjoyed the musicians on board, bingo (yes, really!), the food and some teen actitivities.

2. How is the pool? Do they have a slide? 2 pools, both outdoors (they did away with the indoor T-pool in the reno) and several jacuzzis. The pools are fine, no slide, but nothing to get really excited about.

3. How is the food? Outstanding! One of the key reasons we sailed with Celebrity again...a cut way above Carnival and a bit above RC, IMHO.

We had been to KW once before with the kids and had done a basic tour of the town and Hemingway's house, southernmost point etc. So, this time we did an Eco-Kayaking tour that was GREAT! Also left time for wandering around town and having lunch.

It's a great ship, a great value (outstanding food, practically new, classy ship for relatively low prices), fun ports of call and our family really enjoyed our cruise. I'd absolutely do it again!

Any other questions, let me know.

Lynne

We were on in April for the 5 day Carib itin --could not dock in jamaica--high winds --no great loss. The captain was excellent, food & service also great. The ship is nice but is not a kids ship by any means--the pool area is old & not upgraded at all. No T pool! The re-done areas are very nice but it is still an older ship...smaller cabins. With kids you might prefer the Royal carib Enchantment with its water zone--gee I can't wait to try that myself! Of course if you travel during a school vacation week things could be very different.. Lots to do in key West--pirate lore, boat excursions, places to eat, tram rides, T shirt shops, lots of ticky tacky etc...

We;'ll be onboard again in sept to the Medit but after that would not return...just not up to date enough for us!. Others of course will disagree....

Have been on the Celebrity 3 times in the past few years, both before and after renovation. The food was excellent. We didn't meet any young folks who weren't having a wonderful time.

Rest assured that the Captain will not endanger the safety of his passengers and/or his ship. If the weather is such that you miss a port, enjoy the day at sea. We missed Santorini because of winds and waves. Disappointment, sure. Tragedy--no way. Got a few extra hours in Istanbul--and a marvelous trip into port in the early morning.

Archived