Shoes for touring Europe (merged discussion)

What type of shoes do you wear to walk around cities like Florence or Rome? I keep hearing that you should wear "comfortable" shoes but not sneakers since "only tourists wear them in Italy". I don't mean to sound too naive but what else is there?

Have you been to DSW? I checked the yellow pages and there are two in your town.

If you haven't been there, head over. I think you will find tons of options.

I have a wide foot, so I'm not always very lucky and mostly stick with tennis shoes, but you should check out Clarks and I think the brand is Bonn. Also for a really good, well made (not necessarily beautiful) but good walking sandal is the Teva brand.

see you in October!!

Leaving for the Med in 2 weeks, and I plan to wear white gym shoes. I don't really think not wearing them makes you look less like a tourist. We don't dress or talk like Europeans. Wear what is comfortable, you'll be doing lots of waking.

Mary Lou

I alternated between my Teva leather sandals and my Finn Comfort sandals. Both are great for support and are reasonably good looking. Whatever you do, cobblestoned streets and uneven pavements take a toll so make sure your shoes fit well and can accomodate long days of walking.

elaine

First, no matter what shoes you wear, you will look like a tourist. Most locals don't carry maps and cameras around.:)

The most important thing is comfortable shoes with a stable bottom. Many streets are cobblestone and uneven. Museums and churches have hard marble floors. You may be climbing hills and stairs. Stay away from wedges and heels. Take 2 pairs of shoes incase you get caught in rainy weather. Nothing worse than putting on a pair of wet shoes in the morning.

My husband wore boat shoes and laced rockport style shoes depending if he had on shorts or slacks. I wore soft leather sandals that had thicker rubber soles and thick straps, not dress sandals. Clarks, Born or Teva are good as well as the many European brands. Zappos is a good place for lots of styles. Also popular, even with the locals, were sporty Sketcher style shoes. These are sleeker looking than white athletic shoes.

Have a great trip!

Ecco is another great brand if you are looking for something comfortable and stylish. I also agree that the Cole Haans with Nike air technology are very comfortable.

The temptation is to wear something like sandals because of the heat. But beware, because it's easy to twist an ankle or brutally stub a toe on the cobblestones, curbs, etc. I prefer to go with something that gives my feet some protection.

Do you have a Nordstrom Rack near you? If so, they are great for trying on shoes without being hassled and they have all the major brands mentioned above.

I also love Ecco. They are comfortable, stylish and very light to pack.

We walked and walked for many kilometers during our cruise last month.

No matter what kind of shoe you want to take for walking ports, make sure you have 2 different pairs! Not only for the rain (as another person pointed out) but to give your feet a "break" from the same pressure points.

Don't listen to your 15 year old daughter who is sooooo embarrassed to be even standing next to you in your "comfortable walking shoes":rolleyes: If your tennis/gym/sneakers feel the best, by all means take them! And even wear them with a skirt. :eek:

I found a pair of Merrell mary-jane type shoes in white & tan. Also took a pair of black leather mary-janes from J-41.

Zappo's has made it so easy to shoe shop on the internet (if you live in the US.) With free overnight shipping both ways!!

Styles change and Europe is no exception. Sneakers are now a little more popular, but they will often wear simple colorful canvas sneakers and seldom wear socks. In fact, socks is a real no-no for most Europeans except the Brits who have even worse taste than us Americans. The most common footwear are sandals (no socks) or even flip-flops. We have traveled throughout Europe for many years and live in our Clarks (sandals).

Hank

If you are a women's size 9 check these out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320147451090&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=011

I bought them on ebay but they are a little too big for me so I'm selling them - very comfy! The original price is $110 and I have them listed for $24.99. I hope I'm not breaking some CC rule by putting this on the board but someone did ask about comfortable shoes! :D

A few years ago I was going to Europe for the first time. I was very concerned because I had broken my ankle the year before and was warned about those cobble stone streets. My local shoe store recommended Dansko because of the raised heel. I was doubtful and took my low sandals also. The Dansko became my shoe of choice since they were so comfortable. I have since bought another pair on line. Happy feet make for a happy traveler.

You wear anything that is comfortable for you and your feet..no matter who makes them or what they look like.Palin and simple.What is good for one may not be good for another,and I have found that people do not look at your shoes unless they are concerned with what they are wearing.:)

Hi all,

Let me tell a story of a myself who hated sneakers and was in favor of dressy heel shoes/sandals/wedges/boots. I still am but when I am at home and don't need to walk many miles. Personally I came to a conclusion (after many blisters and incidents of tired feet) that there is not more comfy than a good pair of sneakers. Doesn't matter what season it is unless you go to Russia in the winter. :p So I prefer sneakers when I travel and know I need to walk A LOT. At home I wear sneakers only when I go for a walk; I do wear my fancy-dressy shoes out, to work, shopping, and other occasions. I don't care if I look like a tourist when I visit other countries; personally I don't even want to look like a local. This is just me....

I'm with cberge. Wear whatever you like that is comfy (although I would agree it's smart to bring two pairs of comfy shoes). My DH and I wore our Crocs -- but we wear those here every day. I also wore sandals (that I regularly wear at home and know are comfy and can handle the terrain). I did not wear flip-flops mainly because even though they are comfy, some of the streets you will be walking (depending on port) will be cobblestone or just not flat.

I love my Privos. They're made by Clark's but are a bit edgier, more pizzazz. In fact, my son calls them my European shoes. They're so comfy for walking, that I ordered another pair in the same style and color for when the first pair wear out.

Wow! That is a lot of good information! Thanks everyone!

I'm definitely going to check out some of these suggestions and buy the shoes now so that I can break them in. I like the idea of having a few options instead of just defaulting to the sneakers but I agree that comfort will rule the day!

Thanks again!

In my experience with traveling often to Europe and doing lots of walking there, I always choose a shoe that fastens around the ankle, even if it's a sandal. With shoes that you just slide your foot into, there is too much chance of it coming off while boarding tenders, trains or buses. When we were in Europe, this happened to a man who was trying to board a train. Everyone who was boarding behind him had to back away to let him off the train so he could retrieve the shoe from the tracks. Very scary as the trains only stop for a few minutes.

Many of the brands suggested in this thread have great looking, extremely comfortable shoes so that you don't have to wear sneakers for a walking shoe. Naturally, whatever brand or style works for one person, won't work for another, but my personal favorite is Dansko.

Archived