Hate to be rude...

DyanaT

Hate to be rude... but thank GOD I don't have to travel with the man who wrote this review... it's like a crazy university professor.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=31810

Here's my favorite part (I'm being sarcastic):

Granted the need for illusion in the face of despair, but what I saw on the Conquest was not so much the need for illusion as it was the need to let out one's "inner-ugly American" like one's burgeoning gut -- that person who eats their body fat percentage in bacon, gets their jollies from what they can get away with and, principally, never thinks once about their fundamental reality unless someone around them impinges on it.

Not only is he pretentious, he is a self hating American with an inflated ego. He misses the irony that is, that he basically accuses other Americans as having thus the "ugly American" comment

He is subconcieniously unaware of his "guilt" of living in the USA and having a stable economy versus what he perceives of Jamaican life.

Quite honestly I think he's full of it

Hate to be rude... but thank GOD I don't have to travel with the man who wrote this review... it's like a crazy university professor.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=31810

Here's my favorite part (I'm being sarcastic):

Granted the need for illusion in the face of despair, but what I saw on the Conquest was not so much the need for illusion as it was the need to let out one's "inner-ugly American" like one's burgeoning gut -- that person who eats their body fat percentage in bacon, gets their jollies from what they can get away with and, principally, never thinks once about their fundamental reality unless someone around them impinges on it.

Sounds like that guy, Ward Churchill, that got fired from the college in Colorado. If it's not him it's the same variety of pompous a$$...

Folks like this should make every effort to mingle with their own kind; arrogant, effete, snobs...

Oh, and they should avoid reproduction at all cost...

Sounds like that guy, Ward Churchill, that got fired from the college in Colorado. If it's not him it's the same variety of pompous a$$...

Folks like this should make every effort to mingle with their own kind; arrogant, effete, snobs...

Oh, and they should avoid reproduction at all cost...

And we all know what a twisted fraud he turned out to be!

Your not rude, the person that wrote that is, and I have not even read it. I do not read crap and I sure do not read something so negative that it makes me want to scream. When I write my review of my glorious cruise to Europe you can be assured the only negative thing I may say about my trip is that I tried to throw my DH overboard because he was being an a$$. Other than that, I promise to say how much fun I had, the fabulous ports we went to and how I knew when I booked my cruise that it would be the best yet. I also promise to dress according to the "rules" and most important have fun and come back with some fabulous memories.

And we all know what a twisted fraud he turned out to be!

Was there ever any doubt?

Some folks hate this country and all that it represents; end of discussion. They use their Constitutionally guaranteed freedom of speech to rage against the Government that grants them that privilege and to belittle those they perceive to be 'beneath' them. That's their right but it doesn't make it correct.

Perhaps the 'gentleman' in question needs to experience life in the Middle East or China... In fact, both of those would be GREAT places for him to move to!

Was there ever any doubt?

Some folks hate this country and all that it represents; end of discussion. They use their Constitutionally guaranteed freedom of speech to rage against the Government that grants them that privilege and to belittle those they perceive to be 'beneath' them. That's their right but it doesn't make it correct.

Perhaps the 'gentleman' in question needs to experience life in the Middle East or China... In fact, both of those would be GREAT places for him to move to!

I am in agreement with you 100%!

I am in agreement with you 100%!

Isn't it amazing, or perhaps pathetic, that someone can turn something as enjoyable as a cruise vacation into political commentary?

There is NO WAY that this dude has a girl friend, wife or significant other (of either gender)... but I assure you he has a mirror and LOVES it....

The review isn't all that negative... It says some very nice things about Carnival. He knows he's full of it and pokes fun at himself. Some of his criticisms I agree with and some I don't, but all in all it was a good review. :rolleyes:

Isn't it amazing, or perhaps pathetic, that someone can turn something as enjoyable as a cruise vacation into political commentary?

There is NO WAY that this dude has a girl friend, wife or significant other (of either gender)... but I assure you he has a mirror and LOVES it....

Completely amazing...

His mirror, SIDEVIEW: THINGS APPEAR FURTHER THAN THEY REALLY ARE

Reality lol

Your not rude, the person that wrote that is, and I have not even read it. I do not read crap and I sure do not read something so negative that it makes me want to scream. When I write my review of my glorious cruise to Europe you can be assured the only negative thing I may say about my trip is that I tried to throw my DH overboard because he was being an a$$. Other than that, I promise to say how much fun I had, the fabulous ports we went to and how I knew when I booked my cruise that it would be the best yet. I also promise to dress according to the "rules" and most important have fun and come back with some fabulous memories.

Ummm... wow. If you haven't read it then how do you know it's so negative? I just finished reading it and it was actually very complimentary towards Carnival and the cruise in general. Yes, the writing was a bit over the top, but I found it funny and rather tongue in cheek. I mean he did point out right at the beginning that he was pretentious.

I enjoyed reading it and I have to say he makes some pretty valid points. Frankly, some of the shows are quite silly. I cringed every time that "Chairy"-type character came out during Nightclub Express on the Valor. And it really isn't a reflection on the performers (most times), they work with what they are given.

His observations on Jamaica and some of his fellow passengers were probably pretty dead on too. We've all seen these things. He just phrased it a little different. And I fail to see where anything he wrote is indicative of a hatred of his own country.

But then that's just my take on it. Reading of reviews and well as writing the reviews are all filtered through our own experiences and personal baggage.

Laura

Ummm... wow. If you haven't read it then how do you know it's so negative? I just finished reading it and it was actually very complimentary towards Carnival and the cruise in general. Yes, the writing was a bit over the top, but I found it funny and rather tongue in cheek. I mean he did point out right at the beginning that he was pretentious.

I enjoyed reading it and I have to say he makes some pretty valid points. Frankly, some of the shows are quite silly. I cringed every time that "Chairy"-type character came out during Nightclub Express on the Valor. And it really isn't a reflection on the performers (most times), they work with what they are given.

His observations on Jamaica and some of his fellow passengers were probably pretty dead on too. We've all seen these things. He just phrased it a little different. And I fail to see where anything he wrote is indicative of a hatred of his own country.

But then that's just my take on it. Reading of reviews and well as writing the reviews are all filtered through our own experiences and personal baggage.

Laura

Well then I guess you won't be reading my review, since it won't be full of negativity and I will not as a previous poster said, be a pompous a$$. Some like that kind of a read, I do not.

Archived