Resort Casual- dear mother's perspective!!!

QTPieRye

I don't ever remember CAPRIS being considered slacks or a pantsuit either, but everybody seems to agree that THEY ARE acceptable.

Actually, by the strict definition of the word "slacks" both jeans and capris ARE acceptable as according to Webster's Dictionary "slacks" are simply "a two-legged garment extending from waist to knee or ankle."

The argument that jeans are "farmwear" or "scratch your belly in the yard wear" may have been valid 100 years ago, but today jeans have moved far beyond that. Look around, they're everywhere!

Bottomline is that Carnival had the opportunity to make it perfectly clear that jeans are not acceptable, they choose not to (do you think they really don't know about the endless "jeans" vs "no-jeans" debate?). For crying out loud, they felt the need to spell out that bathing attire is PROHIBITED! Do you really think they simply overlooked the much more controversial issue of jeans?

As for what everyone else is wearing, that really doesn't concern me. As long as I am following the host's guidelines (Carnival), I have just as much right to be there as anyone else.

[quote name='VentureMan_2000'][b]Carnival guidelines:[/b]

[b][i]"[/i]Casual Resort Wear: [u]sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit[/u] NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. [i]"[/i][/b]

I don't ever remember denim being considered slacks or pantsuit. They say Casual Resort Wear, not scratch your belly in the yard wear.

As I said, all I wear is jeans and catual shirts. Can't use that to justify that it is Casual Resort Wear. It's not. You can be a brat and do what you want, but denim is not Casual Resort Wear. If nearly 100% of the folks aren't wearing denim in the dining room, take a hint... denim is not an item to wear in the dining room.[/QUOTE]

One of my daughters was playing on her computer right next to mine. She looked at the screen and saw GoinCruisin's logo and asked if that was the Little Mermaid!! When she looked a little closer she said, "Mommy, she looks different. What happened to her tail? then the funniest part. "Mommy, her boobies are bigger than yours!!! lol

Gosh -I love my kids!!!

[quote name='QTPieRye']One of my daughters was playing on her computer right next to mine. She looked at the screen and saw GoinCruisin's logo and asked if that was the Little Mermaid!! When she looked a little closer she said, "Mommy, she looks different. What happened to her tail? then the funniest part. "Mommy, her boobies are bigger than yours!!! lol

Gosh -I love my kids!!![/QUOTE]
Okay, now THAT was funny!!! :D LOL, kids say the darndest things... That was just what this thread needed! Thanks QT!

You can justify, twist, and find all the loop-holes you want to perceive in Carnival's intention. Every exclusion can't be listed just as every inclusion can't be listed.

But as I said, if nearly 100% of the folks aren't wearing denim in the dining room, then that clearly indicates that denim is not appropriate. To suggest that this majority of folks have a misconcieved notion of what carnival's intention of the dress code is, is a bit out of line. If most folks understand, take a hint from their understanding if you are having difficulty figuring it out yourself.

Venture, I have already to decided to wear a nice (not denim, it's silk) teddy with garters... I might even wear some of those furry slippers :D Hey, they didn't say it wasn't allowed... of course common sense might tell me better, but if they don't spell it out for me, that's what I'm wearing!

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1/1_4_98.gif[/img]

No justifying, twisting or loop-holing necessary. All it takes is about a 3rd grade education to read and understand the policy as it is written. And I'm not suggesting that anybody has a misconceived notion of Carnival's dress code because they don't wear jeans. They are only exercising their right to dress as they deem appropriate within Carnival's guidelines. As am I. I do, however, suggest that those of you who would berate those who wear jeans for not following the guidelines should take off the rose-colored glasses and read it again. Perhaps you are reading what you WISH was written instead of what actually is.

[quote name='VentureMan_2000']You can justify, twist, and find all the loop-holes you want to perceive in Carnival's intention. Every exclusion can't be listed just as every inclusion can't be listed.

But as I said, if nearly 100% of the folks aren't wearing denim in the dining room, then that clearly indicates that denim is not appropriate. To suggest that this majority of folks have a misconcieved notion of what carnival's intention of the dress code is, is a bit out of line. If most folks understand, take a hint from their understanding if you are having difficulty figuring it out yourself.[/QUOTE]

[b]Actually, by the strict definition of the word "slacks" both jeans and capris ARE acceptable as according to Webster's Dictionary "slacks" are simply "a two-legged garment extending from waist to knee or ankle."[/b]
Well I'll be... this describes my sweat pants too! And most of my workout pants!!! Never thought of them as slacks!! Come to think of it, buttless chaps too! I can go straight from the gym to the dining room!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!

[b]

[/b]

And since we are not 3rd graders, but supposedly adults, then we should understand that it's not a matter of telling our host, in this case Carnival, what they did or didn't specifically write out for us, but a matter of etiquette in attending dinner in the type of attire our host deems appropriate.

On an additional note, in looking at the Carnival website, I'm noticing that it does not say suggested attire, but more specifically "dress code" and "required", both for adults and children.

I agree 100%, but we could argue all day on whether jeans fit the type of attire our host deems appropriate. Our host has decided to remain silent on the issue and instead has left it up to each individual's discretion.

[quote name='dms_cruisers04']And since we are not 3rd graders, but supposedly adults, then we should understand that it's not a matter of telling our host, in this case Carnival, what they did or didn't specifically write out for us, but a matter of etiquette in attending dinner in the type of attire our host deems appropriate.

On an additional note, in looking at the Carnival website, I'm noticing that it does not say suggested attire, but more specifically "dress code" and "required", both for adults and children.[/QUOTE]

Our host is not silent on the issue. Carnival clearly states:

[b]"...either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room...[/b] [b]Casual Resort Wear: [u]sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit[/u] NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. [i]"[/i][/b]

I say let her wear the denim capris, if that's what she wants to wear. My dear 65 y/o MIL who always cruises with us has been in the hospital for three weeks now with kidney failure and some other issues. At this point, we still don't know what her chances are for recovery, or if she'll ever be able to cruise again. But I'm here to tell you if she pulls through this and wants to wear denim capris on our next cruise, I'll go out and BUY them for her. Life is too short to worry about what others are wearing to dinner.

[quote name='kathyjack']Alright already - could this thread be put to rest?[/QUOTE]
That is what we call freedom, and you too are free, you have no obligation to read this thread. If we still want to talk about it, how does it affect you?

...like Ma'am always said to.

I'll let Carnival police the dress code while I'm enjoying MY cruise, regardless of what I am wearing or what anyone else thinks about it. You'll get no askance looks from me!

Far be it from me to try to police anyone else's fashion choices. That's Carnival's job and prerogative.

(CruiseMom2...I wish your MIL well. I know it's a rough time for your family.)

[quote name='livtojump']FTLOG let's all just go buck A*SS NEKKID. That way we'll all be the same an no one will notice what you're "not" wearing".[/QUOTE]
Yes but then we'd argue over whether men should wax their backs and women should wax their... legs.

[quote name='Dannzzigg']Yes but then we'd argue over whether men should wax their backs and women should wax their... legs.[/QUOTE]ROFLMAO. That should be on "everyone's" pre-cruise to do list.

Archived