San Francisco Dock Dawn Princess

KNITWITS

Wondering if any recent Dawn travelers could help out. The e-ticket says Pier 35, the Port cruise ship site says Pier 27, and I've heard from other cruisers that it's Pier 29. I know that all of them are close together, but since my relatively inexperienced teenager is dropping us off I'd like to give him as clear directions to and from as possible!!!

Also are there large signs to spot as you get close?

Any help wellcome as we leave tomorrow!!!:D

The port number is usually Pier 35. Number 27 is down the other way. They use that pier if there is another ship in port. I do know if it is pier 35 you will have no problem finding it because it is chaos around there what with cabs, people, limo's etc. Probably the same thing happens on pier 27. I would go with what the pier web site says. I have not looked in there lately but if there is another ship in port then one is for pier 35 and the other port of 27 is then used.

marilyn

We flew into Oakland and came into San Francisco by shuttle bus. What a thrill it was to see the ship from the Freeway (bridge) as we were driving.

The shuttle was able to drop us off and we walked right on in with no problems at all.

Be Warned though.

As we got off the Super Shuttle, people who had just got off the Dawn were fighting like crazy to take our shuttle bus back.

We should have been warned because 10 days later when we departed, we ran into the same problem. I am not sure if it is Super Shuttle, Princess Cruises or the Port itself but after 19 cruises, this was by far the worse time we have ever had in getting a ride away from the ship.

It almost made me get back on the ship for another 10 days

Bob

Bob...you are correct about the crowds on the Embarcadero in front of the cruise terminals. We live in the bay area and have cruised out of San Francisco many times....so of course, we love it regardless of the crowds. The SF police dept do a fabulous job of keeping things moving along. When they ask for you to move to this area or to that area to pick up either the shuttles or a taxi, they are working hard at dispersing the crowds.

Because of this issue and others, I am sure, less and less ships are leaving out of San Francisco...how sad for us!! The problem is, the pier is in downtown ... not too far down the street from the Giants stadium and Pier 39 (a major tourist attraction) on the other side. Can you even what the crowds must have been like when there was a cruiseship docked as well as the all star game right down the street.

We have been fortunate enough to sail under the golden gate several times and even driven over the bridge to pick up friends from a cruise. Never really took us more than 10 minutes to get in and out of there.

PS --- the posts are correct...you can see the ship towering over everything so there is no way you will miss what pier it is docked at.

Why would anyone want to sail out of LA? So many better ships sail out of San Diego...Great port!

Sometimes we sail out of L.A., sometimes San Diego. It depends on the times, ports visited, and ships available. Wish all the ships left from San Francisco - the others are a long drive. Nancy

Does the Dawn Princess sail roundtrip from SF to Alaska?

Yes round trips to Alaska and also round trips to Mexican Riviera cruises.

This is our first time sailing out of SF and I really want to thank everyone for all the responses. I'm really looking forward to cruising under the Golden Gate in a few hours!!! Whoopie:D

Archived