Do you get seated with other people?

Unless you are traveling with a group of 6 to 10 you will most likely be seating at a table with others for dinner.

I didn't think I would like it before my first cruise but I found that I love the experience and always have had very nice people at my table that were a joy to talk with!

You might be surprised and really enjoy it as well.

You can request a table for two or however many are in your party. My husband and I considered doing this since it was our honeymoon and we didn't want to make small talk either. But we didn't ask and we ended up getting assigned to a table with a few other newlywed couples and it worked out great! There are tables of every different sizes, small two person tables, four person booths, big round tables seating up to 8 people. Give it a shot and if you hate it ask to be moved - just ask the Maitre 'd or the hostess of your dining room.

You can request a table for two or however many are in your party. My husband and I considered doing this since it was our honeymoon and we didn't want to make small talk either. But we didn't ask and we ended up getting assigned to a table with a few other newlywed couples and it worked out great! There are tables of every different sizes, small two person tables, four person booths, big round tables seating up to 8 people. Give it a shot and if you hate it ask to be moved - just ask the Maitre 'd or the hostess of your dining room.

Thanks! I'm just weird about eating and so is my fiance. We just like to enjoy our food without all the talking. I will definitely request a table for 2 as we will be on our honeymoon as well!

It seems like, from reading some of the posts, that you are seated with other guests at one table. Is that correct or am I reading this wrong? If so, I really don't know that I will enjoy sitting with strangers and having to make small talk. How does this work??

On our first cruise I though this was the 'hoakiest' thing I had heard of. Was convinced I would not like it at all. As it turnsd out this is the best thing about the cruise. It's like coming home and discussing your day with friends.;) Try it....you'll like it.:p

Thanks! I'm just weird about eating and so is my fiance. We just like to enjoy our food without all the talking. I will definitely request a table for 2 as we will be on our honeymoon as well!

I know what you mean about being weird about eating! I was worried about it too, I despise small talk since I'm pretty shy. But we are so happy we ended up taking our assigned seats. We met two other great couples who were also newlyweds and we hung out after dinner a few times and even exchanged email addresses at the end of the cruise.

You should seriously considering giving it a try for the first night. If you want to change you just have to ask the hostess. I was told to change the assignment prior to the first dinner you have to do it after embarkation, there will be a hostess at a table set up outside the dining room. When I called Carnival prior to our cruise they said I had to wait until I was on board to change it.

On our first cruise I though this was the 'hoakiest' thing I had heard of. Was convinced I would not like it at all. As it turnsd out this is the best thing about the cruise. It's like coming home and discussing your day with friends.;) Try it....you'll like it.:p

I agree and now look forward to it. It's also neat to hear what other people did while they were in port. Everyone is so excited and it is fun to share experiences!

If you're shy.....I promise your tablemates will not be intrusive...It's a polite understanding amongst cruising folks.

My suggestion......go to the table, the first night; if you are terribly uncomfortable; go to the Matre d'. He will change your table and it won't take a lot to have that done.

Enjoy your cruise experience; it's yours to spend any way you want it! ;)

For regular dinner you are assigned to an early or late, on ships where there are more than one dining rooms then you will be assigned to one or the other. Then they assign you to a table.

On Freedom in July we had nominated Late Dining. We were assigned to 8:30pm in POSH on the upper level and placed on a table of four. First night we met another Australian couple at the table (how original is that). They were on the cruise with another couple from the same town, cabins were adjoining, bookings done together but the other couple were on the lower level. On the next night when we arrived they had been changed and we had a Canadian couple on the table. Paula was a bit worried that we had done or said something that caused the first couple to move tables and we did not find out about what had happened to them until much later in the cruise. As it turned out Mike and Maree, the Canadians, were great dining companions and we had a great time and still keep in touch via the internet.

For Breakfast and Days at Sea Lunch they have Open Dining and you get placed on tables as you arrive and they fill them up. On Freedom Open Dining always seemed to be in the POSH dining room and on the lower level.

Table sizes are 2, 4, 6 and 8 with a couple of large round 10 person tables on the lower level. You cannot ask for the table size but I get the impression you could ask for a change once you are on board. That is what the maitre de is for I would have thought but we only saw our maitre de late in the cruise when he finally came around and introduced himself about 2 days before the tip envelopes for the maitre de were distributed. On the first night we did not even get greeted at the entry to the dining room and had to find our own way to the table. I think that is when the maitre de tip had a rather huge reduction.

Our regular waiting staff were great and you do get to build up a good rapport with them by the end of the cruise. They begin to anticipate what you may want before you ask and their recommendations were always appreciated by Paula. Thankfully both of ours could not sing and were lousy dancers so we got good service from start to end of the meals.

Usually the waiters on Open Dining were of the same high standard except for 2 incidents late in the cruise with other people on our table.

Overall the Dining Room experience was great, food up to expectations (we are a bit picky as we tend to eat gourmet quality meals a home as we are both avid cooks) and service was efficient but casual enough not to make anybody uncomfortable. We are both looking forward to our next cruise, hopefully September 2008.

David

It seems like, from reading some of the posts, that you are seated with other guests at one table. Is that correct or am I reading this wrong? If so, I really don't know that I will enjoy sitting with strangers and having to make small talk. How does this work??

Request a table for two. They should be able to make it happen.

It's odd, the older I've gotten the less happy I am about making small talk :( When I was cruising in my 20 and early 30s I loved having a big table and loved the people I got to know. But now, at 43, I don't know what's changed other than I just want to eat a quiet meal, enjoy it for what it is, and then move on to the lounges for a show or dancing or turn in early.

I agree with others though, try it the first night and if you hate it, you can move. I've seen tables that I was thanking God from minute one that I wasn't seated at, and conversely, seen some tables that I thought, "Man, that would be a fun table to be seated at." I guess it's kind of like not using a guarantee room selection anymore. I am so picky about where on the ship I am that having someone choose it for me is no longer attractive to me to save a hundred dollars. This, btw, is why we no longer use the dining room for breakfast. They seat you at first available and at 8:00AM I am so not in the mood for "morning people". :eek:

Thats how I feel. At the end of the day its fun to sit and have a "family" like group asking how your day went and everyone can tell what they did in the port or on the ship that day.

My wife and I are both late 60's. We always wish to be seated with a large table. Once it was just the 2 of us in a booth for the 1st night. I saw the maitre de' and he assigned us to a table of 3 other couples. Most of the men were in their 80's and a couple of them were pilots in WW 2. We had a lot of fun with them.

We sail on the Celebration January 2008 and hope to get with a good group of at least 3 other couples.

My wife and I are both late 60's. We always wish to be seated with a large table. Once it was just the 2 of us in a booth for the 1st night. I saw the maitre de' and he assigned us to a table of 3 other couples. Most of the men were in their 80's and a couple of them were pilots in WW 2. We had a lot of fun with them.

We sail on the Celebration January 2008 and hope to get with a good group of at least 3 other couples.

You never know until you try it. You could meet the most interesting people in the world.:D

I actually asked for a large table because I enjoy meeting other people but we were seated at a table for four. There were alot of tables for 4 and many tables for 2 on the Liberty. Most of the large tables were taken by bigger groups it seems. It was nice just having the four of us and we did sit a bigger table at open seating for breakfast and met some really interesting and very nice people.

I thought that before my first, too. But I've had some great friends come out of it. Friends that I still see years later. My last cruise was the first time that we had "freestyle dining" (ick, IMO), and they kept seating me and my best friend together all by ourselves. We were so bored that we started meeting some of the people from the pool for dinner around day 3....

It's odd, the older I've gotten the less happy I am about making small talk :( When I was cruising in my 20 and early 30s I loved having a big table and loved the people I got to know. But now, at 43, I don't know what's changed other than I just want to eat a quiet meal, enjoy it for what it is, and then move on to the lounges for a show or dancing or turn in early.

Funny, I'm just the opposite! I was shy when I was younger, but the older I get, the more I enjoy talking to strangers. I guess that's what makes the world go round. :D

Just wanted to say, that I usually travel by myself, and I'm still not a chatterbox, but I enjoy meeting other people. Of course, if someone at the table is more interested in eating than talking, that's fine. I certainly won't force someone into small talk if they don't want it. It's your cruise to enjoy and I won't spoil it for you.

I noticed on the first night there is the usual small talk, where are you from what do you do, how many cruises. The rest of the evenings everyone discuss what they did that day. Lots of laughing and talking. During the day as you are out and about its nice to wave and say hi to some one you feel you know.

Have fun

Neici

I wasn't sure if I'd like it either, but had similar experiences. I really do enjoy hearing what other people did in port. Most of our cruises have been on Princess, and they don't seem to make the effort into seating similar couple. So many times we've been seated at the "seniors table" (we're mid-30s). We had a hoot! We loved listening to their experiences, and enjoyed being the "young whippersnappers" at the table -- the other folks were always excited about what fun things we were going to do at the port stop.

Our first cruise back in 97 we were seated at a table for six. It was our 19th anniversary and they sat us with two newly wed couples who were considerably younger. One couple came every night...the other only now and then.

In the past few years Carnival has taken the time to seat people more by age group. (With the possible exception of newlyweds) We've had the best time with tables for 8. (We were so blessed with great tablemates one time - none of us knew each other - that our waiter thought we had all come as a group.) We've had a lot of tables for four and that can sometimes be difficult...even so we wouldn't trade our tablemates they sometimes help make the cruise memorable!

We have cruised 5 times now, and on three of those we were seated at one tabe which was a 19 top. We have stayed in touch with 3 of these couples and that was our first cruise. We also were seated at a 4 top and we still are in touch with that couple as well. We have a friend and his wife are getting ready to leave for Boston tomorrow to visit a couple they shared a table with on their second cruise.

Who knows you might just meet some new best friends at that table that you have to share.

Keep an open mind.

Last year on the Legend we sat at a table for 12 (there were 4 of us, 2 couples). We have a cruise booked for September 24th on the Miracle and 2 of the couples we met have booked with us and the 8 of us will be sailing together again. We can't wait. One of the couples has been to Vermont twice now to visit and will be here Saturday to spend the weekend where we will no doubt talk about nothing but our upcoming cruise!

You never know who you will meet at your table. They could turn out to be lifelong friends!

Archived