Possible Storm in Bahamas This Weekend

We are leaving friday on Sovereign of the Seas cruising to Nassau. The weather channel just mentioned a storm that is off the coast of South Carolina that could affect the Bahamas in 3 days. I'm wondering what would happen if we couldn't go to Nassau. Would they cancel the cruise?

Thanks for any info!

They will not cancel the cruise but they could bring you to a different port or make it a sea day. It is supposed to be a hurricane? If not and it is just a regular storm you might just go anyway so you might want to prepare.

Global Weather Computer models are having a hard time (Divergence) with this system. TWC usually has a bit of Hype on upcomming storms. Latest link

is the marine weather forecast out of the NWS- FLL which doesn't look that bad at this moment. Stay tuned

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/shmrn.php?mz=amz080

Ack, don't tell me this. I leave Monday on the Sovereign. Don't mind the rocking and rolling at all but would also really like good weather in Nassau and Cocoa Cay.

Glued to the Weather Channel, I will be! Thanks for the head's up.:)

Sharon

I am also keeping an eye on that system...I have only read that is should linger for a couple days and if it develops...the models show it circling and going north to sea....:confused: lets keep our fingers crossed.

Today our local weather reports in Tampa is the low pressure area off the coast of Florida has not developed any tropical features but there is no firm opinion which way it will drift. The models show it going in every possible direction. The weatherman here thinks it will drift up towards S.C. You can get local reports on http://www.abcactionnews.com

There is a waves about 600 miles East of Antilles so thats about 3 - 4 days away but no indication of what it will do. The next 6 - 8 weeks is typically our worst time of the hurricane season for development of storms.

Our 1st cruise was stormy--no sun, no tan---icky! Lots of rockin' and rollin'!

Actually, thinking back, it's amazing we went on a 2nd cruise! But we did, and we still had a great time, despite the weather!

Great attitude!!! A cruise is what you make of it. Happy Cruising :D

Stay away from those weather sites!!!!!

Two weeks ago I was sitting here looking at every weather thread, seeing rain showers predicted for EVERY day during our cruise to the Bahamas.

I just knew we would be rained out.

Well here is the PROOF. Clear skies as far as the eye can see. And even when I checked into Atlantis, the person at the desk said "Oh yes mame, we are expecting rain all day long"

Um, ok...WHERE?????

Freeport, Bahamas (Our Lucaya)

878783-R1-17-17A_018.jpg

(Nassau, Atlantis Resort Beach)

878783-R1-11-11A_012.jpg

Enjoy your cruise, I sure did!

Don't worry too much about it at this point (nothing you can do about it anyway). Go on your cruise and have a great time no matter what!

We were just on the Freedom sailing that had Hurricane Dean deciding to sail our exact ininerary 2 days ahead of us :rolleyes: .

We were told Monday (20th) that we'd for sure go to Labadee, but the rest of the itinerary was on hold until the captain received damage reports from the ports. Heard from the crew that the chance of being diverted on a partial Eastern Caribbean tour was 95% for sure. Tuesday the captain gave us the great news - we would sail our greatly anticipated itinerary!!! Luckily the main portion of the hurricane hit 50-80 miles south of Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We had private tours planned in 2 of the 3 ports, and they were just wonderful!!! Minimal wind damage, and no structural damage at all.

We were especially grateful that the residents of these islands were spared the worst, as we were able to meet some very wonderful people there. No problem Mon!

The absolute best cruise yet (out of 8) on the smoothest seas.

You have nothing to worry about this weekend in the Bahamas. You have several strong well developed tropical waves off Africa that may need a closer look in about 7 DAys. Stay Tuned !!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATWOAT+shtml/302121.shtml

AAACCCKKKK!!! NO!!! Not what I want to hear....we leave on the Mariner next Sunday... no hurricanes....nope... don't want any dang hurrincanes....... :eek: But I agree with cruzincurt....as long as we are on the ship, going somewhere I'm a happy camper......:D

the storm off the Carolinas is moving northeast. Its the one near the winward islands that you all need to be watching... We were in the Bahamas last Sept 11-15 and Florance and Gordon were in the Atlantic and it was fine... Just keep watching for the one southeast of the Windwards.... that is where Hurricane Ivan came from in 2004... I live just 15 minute north of Port Canaveral so anything affecting the bahamas or the Port affects my house...lol so i am an avid weather watcher...lol :rolleyes:

the storm off the Carolinas is moving northeast. Its the one near the winward islands that you all need to be watching... We were in the Bahamas last Sept 11-15 and Florance and Gordon were in the Atlantic and it was fine... Just keep watching for the one southeast of the Windwards.... that is where Hurricane Ivan came from in 2004... I live just 15 minute north of Port Canaveral so anything affecting the bahamas or the Port affects my house...lol so i am an avid weather watcher...lol :rolleyes:

Do you know if NHC has "numbered" that storm yet???

Agree with you. Been watching it off and on today. Still a long ways off but if you live in Fl. as you and I do, you tend to be cautious this time of year.

Tanker 4

no they just said possible development in to a TD or TS Felix was likely sometime this afternoon they will have an update at 5pm

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

205 PM EDT FRI AUG 31 2007

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION FOR NORTH AMERICA...CENTRAL

AMERICA...THE GULF OF MEXICO...THE CARIBBEAN SEA...NORTHERN

SECTIONS OF SOUTH AMERICA...AND THE ATLANTIC OCEAN TO THE

AFRICAN COAST FROM THE EQUATOR TO 32N. THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION

IS BASED ON SATELLITE IMAGERY...METEOROLOGICAL ANALYSIS...

WEATHER OBSERVATIONS...AND RADAR.

BASED ON 1200 UTC SURFACE ANALYSIS AND SATELLITE IMAGERY THROUGH

1715 UTC.

...TROPICAL WAVES...

TROPICAL WAVE IS ALONG 31W/32W S OF 21N DRIFTING W WITH A 1011

MB LOW ALONG THE WAVE NEAR 14N. BROAD ELONGATED LOW/MID LEVEL

CYCLONIC ROTATION COVERING THE AREA FROM 10N-20N BETWEEN

26W-40W. SCATTERED MODERATE CONVECTION IS FROM 14N-16N BETWEEN

33W-36W.

TROPICAL WAVE IS ALONG 57W S OF 18W MOVING W 15 KT WITH A 1008

MB LOW ALONG THE WAVE NEAR 11N. LOW AMPLITUDE LOW/MID

LEVEL CYCLONIC ROTATION COVERS THE AREA FROM 7N-16N BETWEEN

50W-61W. THIS SYSTEM CONTINUES TO BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED AND

COULD BECOME A TROPICAL DEPRESSION LATER TODAY. SCATTERED

MODERATE TO ISOLATED STRONG CONVECTION IS FROM 8N-13N BETWEEN

54W-60W.

TROPICAL WAVE IS ALONG 79W S OF 21N MOVING W NEAR 10 KT.

INVERTED-V CURVATURE REMAINS IN THE CENTRAL CARIBBEAN WITH AN

EMBEDDED LOW LEVEL SWIRL NEAR 12N79W. SCATTERED SHOWERS ARE

FROM 11N-14N BETWEEN 75W-80W...AND FROM 17N-20N BETWEEN

75W-81W.

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

205 PM EDT FRI AUG 31 2007

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION FOR NORTH AMERICA...CENTRAL

AMERICA...THE GULF OF MEXICO...THE CARIBBEAN SEA...NORTHERN

SECTIONS OF SOUTH AMERICA...AND THE ATLANTIC OCEAN TO THE

AFRICAN COAST FROM THE EQUATOR TO 32N. THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION

IS BASED ON SATELLITE IMAGERY...METEOROLOGICAL ANALYSIS...

WEATHER OBSERVATIONS...AND RADAR.

BASED ON 1200 UTC SURFACE ANALYSIS AND SATELLITE IMAGERY THROUGH

1715 UTC.

...TROPICAL WAVES...

TROPICAL WAVE IS ALONG 31W/32W S OF 21N DRIFTING W WITH A 1011

MB LOW ALONG THE WAVE NEAR 14N. BROAD ELONGATED LOW/MID LEVEL

CYCLONIC ROTATION COVERING THE AREA FROM 10N-20N BETWEEN

26W-40W. SCATTERED MODERATE CONVECTION IS FROM 14N-16N BETWEEN

33W-36W.

TROPICAL WAVE IS ALONG 57W S OF 18W MOVING W 15 KT WITH A 1008

MB LOW ALONG THE WAVE NEAR 11N. LOW AMPLITUDE LOW/MID

LEVEL CYCLONIC ROTATION COVERS THE AREA FROM 7N-16N BETWEEN

50W-61W. THIS SYSTEM CONTINUES TO BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED AND

COULD BECOME A TROPICAL DEPRESSION LATER TODAY. SCATTERED

MODERATE TO ISOLATED STRONG CONVECTION IS FROM 8N-13N BETWEEN

54W-60W.

TROPICAL WAVE IS ALONG 79W S OF 21N MOVING W NEAR 10 KT.

INVERTED-V CURVATURE REMAINS IN THE CENTRAL CARIBBEAN WITH AN

EMBEDDED LOW LEVEL SWIRL NEAR 12N79W. SCATTERED SHOWERS ARE

FROM 11N-14N BETWEEN 75W-80W...AND FROM 17N-20N BETWEEN

75W-81W.

Weather off the coast of Florida this time of the year can change within hours. You can watch a clear sky create thunder clouds while you sit on the beach in florida or the bahamas. This time of year the atlantic and gulf is very active. We are at the peak of our water temperatures which is what tropical depressions and hurricanes feed on. There are several waves in the atlantic and coming off africa moving west which may be just waves of clouds and develop into nothing. Currently none of then are listed as Tropical Depressions. The NHC will track and number them TD1 , TD2, etc. which means the pressure in the system is dropping as it gets lower they can then build. This time of year crusing is a crap shoot b/c you never know what will develop, where and which way it will go.

Chances are this weekend in the Bahamas will not include a tropical storm or hurricane but you can have thunderstorms move in , dump rain, and 1 hour later be gone. Thunderstoms in this port of the world are very violent and include a lot of lightning so do not be outdoors when they hit.

My recommendation is just go and enjoy and let the Captain worry about the weather, they will not take you in harms way. Most of the storms we worry about are those that come off the Yucatan b/c the usually move northeast right into florida. Below is a link to a site with satellite view which you can see the storm build and die. The models currently are moving the waves west to windward islands

http://www.baynews9.com/TropicalUpdate.html

Archived