Missed Cruise Due to Inclement Weather

PCruzer

If you miss your cruise due to inclement weather (can't fly in to the port) and you have online shore excursions booked, do you get refunded for those shore excursions? Is there a cancel fee? Has this ever happened to anyone?

If you miss your cruise due to inclement weather (can't fly in to the port) and you have online shore excursions booked, do you get refunded for those shore excursions? Is there a cancel fee? Has this ever happened to anyone?

I believe the shore excursions through HAL have a 10% cancellation fee within the 10 day period. Some may be higher such as flight seeing.

Not sure if there are exceptions if you have purchased certain insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got through to the shore excursion office. Had a 20 min. wait on hold. I asked if we pre-book the Copper Canyon Train tour and we have a major snowstorm in the northeast and can't make it to the ship, what happens to the money we paid for the excursion. The person I spoke with told me that if that happens, I would need to contact the reservations office ASAP and that our excursion would be fully refunded. Of course, I am really hoping that we have a sunny, blue sky kind of day when we leave for San Diego. We are also building in 2 extra pre-cruise days there just in case. It just makes me feel better to know that in the unfortunate cirucumstance of not being able to meet the ship in San Diego, at least our expensive shore excursion would be refunded in full. (We purchase independent travel insurance to cover the cruise and our flight.)

Sounds like you really need to look into ensuring you have adequate cruise insurance.

The HAL shore excursion office told me that I would definitely not have to ensure the excursion through my independent travel insurance, which will cover the cruise/air cost. What do you mean? Am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything. Just a comment as you seem very worried about inclement weather dampening your cruise plans.

That's for sure! We've had it happen to us twice where we've had a bad snowstorm that caused our flight to be cancelled. Both times we were not able to meet up with the ship before it sailed. We mostly cruise in February to get away from the cold in the northeast. We always know that there is that chance that a snowstorm could sideline our trip, so we purchase travel insurance to cover us. I was happy to hear that if we should be so unlucky as to have another major snowstorm wreak havoc with our cruise, our pre-paid Copper Canyon tour will be refunded to us by HAL. From what I understand, travel insurers will not cover pre-booked shore excursions. :confused: Not sure why.

From what I understand, travel insurers will not cover pre-booked shore excursions. :confused: Not sure why.

I don't know about excursions booked through the ship, but trip insurance is intended to cover prepaid, non-refundable expenses - including the cost of an excursion that you have prepaid but have to cancel at the last minute - thus incurring a penalty.

I purchase enough insurance to cover the cost of the cruise and independently-booked excursions. That includes pre-paid hotels with strict cancellation penalties. Most insurance is priced in $500 increments, so whatever per-person trip cost you are insuring, round up to the next $500 level.

This is why we love living in FLorida

Just kidding

Ruth & Jim

Oh yeah? We've been watching for hurricanes heading our way for the past week or so! :D But we have a 4-day land tour before the cruise, so we've got some buffer. It wouldn't break my heart to miss both of the 2 nights in Fairbanks!

That's for sure! We've had it happen to us twice where we've had a bad snowstorm that caused our flight to be cancelled.

This is precisely why you need to strongly consider traveling to your port of embarcation 1 or 2 - maybe even 3 days in advance.

With airline "service" the way it is, the days of flying cross-country the day of departure to meet a ship are over.

Archived