PassPort Help

hailey256

Do I need a passport to cruise? I am just a little confused. Please advise:confused:

I guess it depends on who you ask and when you are cruising. I strongly suggest that you get one as you will need one, sooner rather than later.

You do not need a passport to sail. They are not required for ships sailing the carribean this year. Even if there is an emergency and you need to fly back to the states from a port of call, an emegency visa can be issued, so you will not be stuck in a foreign country. However if you miss the ship in Galveston you will not be able to fly to the next port of call to meet the ship, without a passport.

All you need to cruise is an original birth certificate or a state certified copy and a drivers license.

If you are planning other trips out of the country relatively soon then go ahead and get a passport.

Passports are a little less than $200 a piece, and are only good for 9 1/2 years. So if you would be getting a passport for this trip only, it really isn't neccessary. If you are traveling to Europe next summer go ahead and get the passport.

9 1/2? LOL where did you come up with that one? It is 10 years. This is from the State departments website :

How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?

If you were ____ when the passport was issued

Then your passport is valid for

16 or Older

10 Years

15 or Younger

5 Years

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

9 1/2? LOL where did you come up with that one? It is 10 years.

I'm confused :confused:

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

Thanks for the clarification. :D

Passports are a little less than $200 a piece, and are only good for 9 1/2 years. So if you would be getting a passport for this trip only, it really isn't neccessary. If you are traveling to Europe next summer go ahead and get the passport.

Wow $200.00 glad I only needed to renew mine. They were $67.00 each (plus the cost of About $6.00 to send them by certified mail and $7.95 each for pictures)

Maybe that the difference. Mine @ $67.00 are good for the next 10 years, but if they are "a little less than $200.00 a piece" they are only good for 9 and 1/2 years. (Just kidding)

Actually mine are good until next March, but if this thing goes through that passports are going to be mandatory as o Jan 1st I don't want to be caught in the crunch and need to worry about having them for my upcoming cruise in FEb.

Actually mine are good until next March, but if this thing goes through that passports are going to be mandatory as o Jan 1st I don't want to be caught in the crunch and need to worry about having them for my upcoming cruise in FEb.

Unless you have other foreign travel planned for 2008 or think you might book such travel, you may as well wait until you return from your cruise. You will not encounter any issues with immigration on a Caribbean cruise with a passport near expiration. You could probably cruise on an expired passport though I wouldn't suggest it.

Not yet. Beginning in 2008 you will. But, that said, go ahead and apply for it. It really is painless, only takes a couple minutes, and you don't have to be one of the whiners that has known about the rules for over 2 years and all the sudden realize they don't have one. HELLO. Unless someone has been in a cave for the past couple years they know, not should, but do know, it is the law. But politicians being the cowards they are once again gave in to the minority of people that didn't think past the end of their nose and didn't apply for one until a week before they were to travel to Europe, (even though they made reservations to go 8 months ago) and whined because they were not going to be able to go and just don't see why the rules should aplly to them. (Off my soapbox)

Do I need a passport to cruise? I am just a little confused. Please advise:confused:

Not yet. Beginning in 2008 you will. But, that said, go ahead and apply for it. It really is painless, only takes a couple minutes, and you don't have to be one of the whiners that has known about the rules for over 2 years and all the sudden realize they don't have one. HELLO. Unless someone has been in a cave for the past couple years they know, not should, but do know, it is the law. But politicians being the cowards they are once again gave in to the minority of people that didn't think past the end of their nose and didn't apply for one until a week before they were to travel to Europe, (even though they made reservations to go 8 months ago) and whined because they were not going to be able to go and just don't see why the rules should aplly to them. (Off my soapbox)

You will not need a passport if you plan to travel on/before July 1, 2008 and I am pretty sure they will extend that date as well. If you are planning on one cruise to see if you like it; rather than get a passport this time - wait and get it prior to your next trip. A Passport will cost 97.00 total (without rush delivery) that is an excursion and some drinks.....Enjoy your cruise

I called Carnival this morning and they stated that summer of 08 is when we'll start needing them. Dh and I sent ours off 08/03/07 and he recieved his today. His was for a new one, mine is renewal.

We paid $97 for his and $67 for mine.

Like other posters said, if you plan on taking more cruises - I would go a head and send off for yours!

Hope this helps.

I would echo the sentiment of other cruisers in stating that if you plan on doing more traveling (especially land/air based out of the country), go ahead and get one. Mine was $97 dollars total, and I didn't request expedited service. I applied for mine at the end of July, and received it last Friday (August 31).

Hope this helps!

By regular service, a "little less than $200" is about $100 less. They are $97 for the passport itself and $7-15 (depending on where you go) for the required pictures.

If you continue traveling to the Carribean or otherwise, you will eventually need a passport. It's your call whether to get one now or not, you won't need it December 9th on the Conquest.

Sorry guys, by "a little less than $200" I meant expedited, pictures, and certified mail for me it was going to cost around $175. A non expedited will cost a little over $100 for passport, postage, and picture.

Awwwwwe, that makes a little more sense!!!!!!;)

Archived