Explorer of the Seas 5 day Bermuda review. 8/26-8/31 Looong.

logcabin

Good detailed review! Thanks for posting it! :)

I love the Dockyard and we always go to Snorkel Beach as it's usually very peaceful:D It seems people run off to Horseshoe and Elbow Beach so that leaves the Dockyard a wonderful place to be.

Yes, they do have the welcome back party on the Explorer and I think it's on the second formal night for a 9 night. I can't remember when it is for a 5 night. You should have received an invite but I think it's listed in Compass also. Several people did not receive invites in June for the Welcome Back party OR the M & M so that needs to be worked on especially as you did not receive one in August. There will also be a photo op to have pic taken with the Captain on the same night if you want and they do give out free cocktails and champagne in the Promanade. You'll see waiters in the beginning of Promanade not far from Guest Relations with trays and they just stand there with the trays so they would be easy to miss. Also free cocktails are given at the Welcome Back party and yes, they are strong! The Explorer is heavy on the bottle. LOL! :D

It's true they do want guests out of the cabins by 8am so they can begin cleaning for the next passengers to board on the Explorer. I know how much work needs to be done from being on B to B's and they do a great job but really do need that time so cabins are nice for the next passengers that board about 11:30-noon. If they made guests wait until 2pm or later to board they would have more time to get things ready and people could stay longer in their cabin. I've known people who have carried their own luggage off but they needed to get white tags at Guest Relations to do so. However, with having to take the bus, it can't be easy to haul your luggage with you unless you pack light. The buses do really force people to wait until colors are called as they can only take so many at a time so that is different from other ports and it does delay the process. For the people that need to catch a flight, they will be given white first off tags and if they do not get them they need to get them from Guest Relations. Diamonds also receive the first off tags. We usually just wait after breakfast out on deck 4 portside or up by the pool. It's not too crowded there and you can still hear the announcements. :) We only live a little over an hour from Port so there is no rush for us to get off the ship but for those catching a flight, I can understand they need to get off as soon as they can. There is always a chance of delay also if something does not go right. We were held up over an hour in Nov. because people did not show up at immigration when they were called. Finally after calling MANY times, they threatened them with 1000.00 fine. Suddenly they decided to appear. In the meantime people were canceling flights and it was a mess. In June they took someone off by ambulance so that caused a slight delay so you just never know and I always tell people to be prepared to wait.:)

Good detailed review! Thanks for posting it! :)

I love the Dockyard and we always go to Snorkel Beach as it's usually very peaceful:D It seems people run off to Horseshoe and Elbow Beach so that leaves the Dockyard a wonderful place to be.

People run off to Horseshoe because it is one of the best beaches in the world. The Snorkel Park is man made and does not compare to Bermuda's gorgeous pink sand beaches. Last week I was at Horseshoe and John Smith, they were heavenly.

I have cruised to Bermuda twice this year, first on Explorer and last week on the Journey which does a seven day calling at St. George and Hamilton. No comparison itinerary wise. Being only at the Dockyard is a second rate itinerary and waters down the Bermuda experience.

As far as being out of your cabin by 8:00. I have sailed 2 other lines that let you stay in your cabin until your deck is called. They are able to still turnover the ship by noon for the next passengers.

I, too, have sailed to bermuda and stayed in St. Goerge and Hamilton. However, Hamilton is too noisy of a "city". St George was nice. But, staying at the Dockards is also peaceful and just a 30 minute easy farry ride to St Goerge and less to Hamilton. I really do prefer the Dockyards.

LOGCABIN

Only read part of your review but saw you were online and might get lucky. We have been on 2 cruises NCL Dawn and NCL Spirit. Dawn (11-04) GREAT!, Spririt (10-06) NOT TOO GOOD; TIRED SHIP AND CREW. We also like Freestyle dining. We requested a table for 2 at the late sitting on the EOS this 11-11-07. Is there a trick to actually getting that table for 2? Also, what ships do you think have good Aft cabins? Thanks

Joe

Did they get rid of the free champagne and cocktails on the promenade for formal nights? We don't normally attend, but always remember them having this as we walked to dinner??

We also enjoy the return cruiser party

:p

In April it was there free, and free flowing.

Glad to see Manuel is still working the Explorer Deck 9. He is a very nice Cabin Stweard.

Archived