What exactly is Pol Acker?

Traveler Nina

David,

That is extremely interesting. However, and I do not wish to pour cold water on the theory, I fear that there is little if any chance of a direct familial connection, and even less of deportation.

It seems that, unable to bear the pain and injustice of his disgraceful treatment at the hands of the Board of Admiralty, Lacker sought a solitary life of obscurity and reclusion somewhere deep in the wilds of darkest Perthshire. All that is known with any degree of certainty of his subsequent history is that he took heavily to drinking and indulging in substances that, even in those comparatively under-legislated times, were regarded as illegal.

He died a broken-hearted pauper, crushed by the forces of the establishment of the ungrateful country to which, for so long, he had devoted his life and his energies. Curiously, though, when the night is dark and cold and the wind whistles through the thatch, tales are still told in rural Perthshire of this strange English incomer and his drunken babblings about his fantastic invention. He is rumoured to have struck up a relationship with a local girl who moved into his hovel as a live-in-lover (or "bidie-in" to use the local vernacular). Perthshire folklore has it that their union, strange as it was and unlikely as it sounds, was blessed by progeny.

Of the unfortunate Petty Officer little trace now remains, but, amidst all the rumour, innuendo, local gossip, half-truths, and downright lies, one salient and incontrovertible fact stands out. Recorded in the parish records of a small Perthshire town (the name of which, for reasons that will become clear, I cannot reveal), and accessible e’en now to anyone who cares to make the effort to look, is a note written in immaculate copper-plate handwriting, enshrining for all time the fact that before finally departing this life, our hero (for hero he must be to anyone who has sampled his incomparable drink) changed his surname.

His adoptive name, in common with almost every other aspect of his strange and unfortunate life, was bizarre and, if it can be said to have any substantive meaning whatsoever, it can only be as an ironic (some would say sarcastic) aside on the contrast between his life in the Highlands of Scotland and that which he had formerly eked out in the service of His Britannic Majesty’s Royal Navy.

The surname he chose? Well now, that was Happyscot - but, around the village, he was always known as "Big Malkie"

Jimmy

Now THIS is the greatest example of RUN-ON sentences that I have ever seen, bar none!! My awe knows no bounds that the end of the sentences actually bears a passing resemplance to the beginning!!:eek:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Perthshire Happyscot-Lackers

Ooooooooooooooooooohhh!!!!!

We're hypenated now are we?

Normal surnames not good enough for you now?

Next you'll be accompanying Mrs Parker-Bowles-Windsor-Battenburg-Saxe-Coburg to launch our new ship.

David

p.s. Another bit of thread convergence there.

Next you'll be accompanying Mrs Parker-Bowles-Windsor-Battenburg-Saxe-Coburg to launch our new ship.

I think you'll find Mrs Parker-Bowles-Windsor-Battenburg-Saxe-Coburg will be accompanying me.

You cousins over there have been mightily busy this morning...do any of you have real jobs that you get paid for???

Penny

One of the nice things about sitting at a computer all day is that, as long as your bashing out stuff on the keyboard, it's very rare for anyone to challenge what you're actually doing. It helps to have something seriously work-related that you can "Alt+Tab" to in times of crisis. It also helps enormously to work in the public (ie, non profit making) sector. The old Soviet maxim holds good. "I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me"

Jimmy

Now THIS is the greatest example of RUN-ON sentences that I have ever seen, bar none!! My awe knows no bounds that the end of the sentences actually bears a passing resemplance to the beginning!!

Penny,

it's essentially parodic in nature - the trouble is I can't for the life of me remember what it was I was trying to parody. I've read acres of that kind of stuff somewhere but I've no idea where.

Jimmy

PS - it could also be related to the fact that I'm a gibbering idiot suffering from severe verbal incontinence (but then you'd probably worked that out already)

I think you'll find Mrs Parker-Bowles-Windsor-Battenburg-Saxe-Coburg will be accompanying me.

Ah, Yes, but what of Miss Hyacinth Bucket?

Penny

One of the nice things about sitting at a computer all day is that, as long as your bashing out stuff on the keyboard, it's very rare for anyone to challenge what you're actually doing. It helps to have something seriously work-related that you can "Alt+Tab" to in times of crisis.

Jimmy

It also helps if your monitor faces away from the door to your office or opening to your cubicle (and cannot be reflected in a nearby window). ;)

Penny

One of the nice things about sitting at a computer all day is that, as long as your bashing out stuff on the keyboard, it's very rare for anyone to challenge what you're actually doing. It helps to have something seriously work-related that you can "Alt+Tab" to in times of crisis. It also helps enormously to work in the public (ie, non profit making) sector. The old Soviet maxim holds good. "I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me"

Jimmy

As one of Her Majesty's civil servants, I too go by that same maxim.

Try walking around with a piece of paper in your hand all day.... that works well too:D ! Good to know that the taxpayers money is being well spent. Come to think of it, it is - on cruises!:) :) :)

If you can manage to substitute a bottle of Pol Acker at the christening then the Vicky would be truly blest, unless she sinks of course.

Paul

Penny,

PS - it could also be related to the fact that I'm a gibbering idiot suffering from severe verbal incontinence (but then you'd probably worked that out already)

Ahhh, there is that!!! You have found a home son...go forth and rhyme again:p

Cheers, Penny

Jobs?:confused: What are they?:)

Nothing to worry about Malcolm...just take a deep breath..all will be as it was before....;) In some circles that could be a good...or bad thing...:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny...just a NON-working flower of the old south...

Penny

Jimmy

Ha ha ha.

Let me die laughing.

One of the ways I cannot waste time at work is on this board. Even if I (as I do) have times when I have nothing to do.

It's been blocked. Together with Ebay and anything of interest. Oh, and Sport.

Thank you HMG.

Matthew

As one of Her Majesty's civil servants, I too go by that same maxim.

Try walking around with a piece of paper in your hand all day.... that works well too:D ! Good to know that the taxpayers money is being well spent. Come to think of it, it is - on cruises!:) :) :)

Nah - just get appointed as the Head of Internal Audit (for Brenda too). Fear and loathing. They know you don't work, but are they going to say anything? Bwah hah hah hah.

Ha ha ha.

Let me die laughing.

One of the ways I cannot waste time at work is on this board. Even if I (as I do) have times when I have nothing to do.

It's been blocked. Together with Ebay and anything of interest. Oh, and Sport.

Thank you HMG.

Matthew

Is everyone on this board a civil servant????

It also helps if your monitor faces away from the door to your office or opening to your cubicle (and cannot be reflected in a nearby window). ;)

Prime reason why, after the last office reshuffle, my desk is out of alignment to everyone else's in the room - before I went on hols the instruction was - move me where you want (preferably away from the colding ducts - but that didn't happen:( ) - but I need a wall behind me - I was prepared to accept a Window, as long as it was a window to the outside world & it was strangers who could see what I was doing, not the window in front of the bosses office LOL

And to answer a later question, I am not a civil servant!

We have just had a change of management (hence the office reshuffle - "new desks cost how much ? have these 2nd hand ones then") - the new ones call us 'Team' and give us pizza for meeting sales targets - (no I'm not in the sales team or even closely related, they have to earn it for the rest of the company:D - we go to the pub on pizza day!) (& this is where I find out one of them is a member of CC LOL)

All a moot point today though <sad smile - run out of smilies anyway)

I have 2 pcs - one new (the development machine) and the old (slow) one used for testing. I hate testing, so not in best mood when I fire up #2. First, it tells me someone else is using the IP address, then it refuses to access the software management tool. By lunch, having worked round this, & found 2 bugs, not happy. By 2pm workout bug #2 isn't - it's working fine (unhappier - just wasted 2 hours) - have a 'short' chat with a colleague, a hot chocolate, back to work - THE MAIN PC HAS GONE TO SLEEP AND WON'T TALK TO ME:eek: - "Wrong password" what:confused: I've had that password for 7 years (they make us change it, but it usually ends up back the same eventually- last time I changed it, I got myself locked out while trying to synchronise all the passwords on the applications I have to use - they let me put it back LOL)

By 5pm, I still wasn't logged on! The IT department were still working on it. They have already rebooted, so anything unsaved has been lost. oh, and I have a new password (that doesn't work)

How I love computers;)

Karen

(rather longer than I intended, but apparently I needed to get it off my chest LOL)