What exactly is Pol Acker?

Traveler Nina

I fear that the main reason the greys are considered bad is that they are American imports. Sorry, cousins:). Anyway, I knew HappyScot would have a practical solution. My aim with a spade is not that good after a few glasses of wine.

How about hearts, clubs, and diamonds?

Maybe I shouldn't play bridge with you.

More usefully, does anyone have any culinary tips for grey squirrels, which arrogantly disport themselves in my garden, and don't even seem to hibernate?

Funny you should mention this. I just got up to investigate the racket from a squirrel outside (grey) he was mighty upset about something. I thought maybe one of the outdoor cats had gotten hold of him

Well,. at least the squirrel scrotum stew can't be too fattening! 'Course, I'm not sure how you bandage their little bottoms after removing the scrotum, since it was mentioned as a way of controlling squirrel population (indicating they only take the sac)

You people (I use the term loosely) are incorrigible!

Karie,

who would NEVER let malcolm near her poor little kittens. Perhaps a "visit" to his stuffed squirrel might be in order for a little "gentle persuasion"

When I worked in Edinburgh, in Morningside (super-posh bit of posh city for cousins) the trees in the grounds were infested with grey squirrels. We watched them avidly as an alternative to work.

One year, a poor wee soul was born and joined the colony, some kind of mutant. He had no tail, no fur and no ears. He learned how to cope, much as challenged humans do, and we all cheered him on. We christened him Stumpy, voted not to throw stones at him, and tried to look after him.

Anyway, mating season arrived. Well, that was the funniest thing ever. Squirrels use their tails for many things, including, in the case of males, keeping their balance whilst procreating. Stumpy would spy a winsome lass, leap on top, and fall thiry feet to the ground. Run up the tree, leap on top, and fall thirty feet to the ground. We used to lay bets on how many attempted bonks a particular female would put up with before seeking raptures new.

Ah memories................

More usefully, does anyone have any culinary tips for grey squirrels, which arrogantly disport themselves in my garden, and don't even seem to hibernate?

I know that when you skin the squirrel, you cut the fur in such a way that you stand on the tail and peel the skin off.

And squirrel tastes good, rather like rabbit. Best thing would be if you could feed your intended squirrel to your taste and then give it the spade, or whatever is your method of dispatch. Buckshot tends to spray a bit, so you have to look for the pellets before cooking.

Oh, and serve with Pol Acker, if you feel the need to stay on topic. Otherwise, a pinot noir.

I believe in WW2, when we were rather short of food, the Food Ministry pulished some recipes for grey squirrel, but they never really caught on. Too stringy and boney one you've removed the fur, perhaps. My friend's cat catches and eats them though. She find the tails left outside the back door.

I know that when you skin the squirrel, you cut the fur in such a way that you stand on the tail and peel the skin off.

quote]

Actually, it is much easier than that. Just dip the squirrel in a pot of boiling Pol Acker and all the fur will be removed in short order, just don't leave in too long or the skin will go to! Cooking with the skin on keeps the natural juices in to increase flavor. Remove from pot and deep fry in oil. Peel off crispy skin and enjoy.

This could also be used for cats I suppose if you have one you don't like much and are inviting such folk as would enjoy it. (Won't mention any names)

You're a genius.

I don't know what you do for a living, but resign in the morning and take up stand up.

Matthew

Sir, the War Ministry regrets to inform you that I am a civil servant. I never resign in the mornings, a period when I prefer to enjoy the smell of napalm.

Sir, the War Ministry regrets to inform you that I am a civil servant. I never resign in the mornings, a period when I prefer to enjoy the smell of napalm.

Right - so you already work in a comedy environment?

That's the sad thing about the Civil Service - it isn't a comedy show. They really are serious.

Matthew

Right - so you already work in a comedy environment?

That's the sad thing about the Civil Service - it isn't a comedy show. They really are serious.

Matthew

I've referred that remark to a committee for consideration. They are confident about a reply in early 2009. Now please be quiet - I'm calculating how much my pension has gone up by since you posted.

Dedicated......civil servant?

Nope, sorry, no idea what you're talking about.

It's an oxymoron. Or may that should be - it's an oxy, moron! But then I'm not sure what an oxy is. My brain hurts - the buzzing has come back and the voices are starting up again.

JC

PS - stop faffing around on here and get that cruise booked - you know you want to so just do it !!

It's an oxymoron. Or may that should be - it's an oxy, moron! But then I'm not sure what an oxy is. My brain hurts - the buzzing has come back and the voices are starting up again.

You should have a drink! Since this is the Pol Acker thread I would be drinking beer, maybe even out of a bucket.

Paul

• 5 years later...

I've booked my first Cunard cruise, a T/A in November of this year. I look at the boards often to see who is saying what about Cunard. I have heard of Pol Acker, and searched to see if anyone described exactly what it was. I have been laughing for ten minutes reading this thread.

Thank you so much for the warning. I was thinking maybe it was like sparkling cider or something.

Jane :rolleyes:

Could this be Pol Acker under a different name?

And if you're wondering, where can I get my hands on this wonderful stuff before my next sailing, consider this, the very first entry on the wine list of a Chiang Mai restaurant:

Blanc De Blancs Brut “Pol Acker ”- French, NV 1,200 B. The nose is subtle with aroma of yeast lees and toast. On the palate subtle flavours of grapefruit, nut and toast, followed by citrus and green apple and palate flavours. Creamy texture, clean acid finish. (Just think of what it can do for your floors!)

Edited by Thaxted

• 5 years later...
The entertainment crew even described it as floor cleaner and industrial mouthwash. Wish Cunard would wake up and change it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree it’s awefull stuff I couldn’t give it away on my last QE trip even my room steward was reluctant to finally remove it after day 4

Surely there must be a decent alternative

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have seen it mentioned many times on this board as something like a sparkling grape juice mixed with mouth wash. Is it alcoholic? A champagne knock off? Thanks, just want to know what to expect!

It's a truly terrible "unnatural" sparkling beverage useful only in the following situations: Removing rust off Cunard ships, Killing off the following: Bedbugs/Dinosaurs/Vampires/Werewolves & that annoying Brother in law who just doesn't know it's well past 3 AM & it's time for him to leave. That along with many other fine uses to be mentioned on this thread!

I seriously got a headache from Pol Acker after drinking less than a glass. It's that bad!

The only time it tastes even remotely pleasant is if you're already drunk from something else! LOL

Nine times of out ten I leave it for the cabin steward, but I'm guessing even they don't want it.

I seriously got a headache from Pol Acker after drinking less than a glass. It's that bad!

The only time it tastes even remotely pleasant is if you're already drunk from something else! LOL

Nine times of out ten I leave it for the cabin steward, but I'm guessing even they don't want it.

Problem is, it probably dissolved half the glass & you ingested that as well.