Verizon Cell Phone Coverage

Lynda90

In answer to your last question about Verizon in all the ports, it will be a working phone in all Hawaiian ports (Oahu, Maui, Hawaii and Kuaui). It worked for us in all places whether on the island or on the ship while in port and this was two years ago! The only place I had trouble was in Ensanada, and since we were going to be in San Diego the next day I didn't worry about it.

• 1 month later...
I don't think this question has been answered and if it has, I apologize for repeating it. On the Diamond, when the ship stops in port or for tendering, can you use your phone on the ship with no charges?

The charge on ship in port is $2.49 because you are using Princess' cell tower. Once off the ship and inland, calls are free.

This is an excerpt from an email I received from Verizon about service in Hawaii. As everyone has mentioned, some details may vary based on your plan, but the info may be helpful to you.

[Good Afternoon. Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. I apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry regarding your ability to utilize your handset while visiting Hawaii.

We thank you for your valued support and continued interest in Verizon Wireless Products and Services.

Your phone will work while you are visiting Hawaii, and your In Network Calling will be available. However; If you plan to use your phone while on the Cruise Ship please note your calls will be billed at $2.49 a minute.

Please update your phone prior to leaving for your trip to Hawaii.

To update your phone, please follow the simple instructions below while on the Verizon Wireless network and receiving a digital signal:

1. Power on your Verizon Wireless phone.

2. Dial *228 followed by the "Send" key.

3. When prompted, press option "2" to update your roaming capabilities.

Within two minutes, a voice recording will advise you that programming is complete. Remain on the line, as the call will disconnect automatically. I recommend you perform this update monthly or before leaving for a trip, as this will give you the ability to pick up newly acquired service areas while roaming.

If you experience any difficulty with the free software upgrade, please call us at 800-922-0204 from a landline phone, and have your wireless phone charged and available when calling.]

How would I know if my phone is picking up a tower on the island or the one on the ship? Is there a way to tell?

The last time we were on a land trip to Maui my Verizon worked everywhere, even on the back side of the road to Hana and other areas the Verizon map indicated no service. Our friends had a new AT&T phone, and they kept borrowing ours to call their son back home because they couldn't get service in many areas of Maui.

We were on the POH in September and I have Verizon coverage. I received my phone bill and there was absolutely no roaming charges for anywhere that I used it. And I used it often. The only place I could not get service was at the Seven Pools on the Road to Hana. In fact, my daughter called me from Germany when I was at the Crater in Volcano National Park, and our reception was great. We were amazed - it was midnight for her and noon in HI and we were talking half way around the world just as clear as if she was across the street!!!

Thanks for all the good advice,...went to Verizon store today, to see if i could use my cell they asked what plan i had i told them, they said yes then i saked them about updating my cell they told me to do it when i arrive in Hawaii. by *228 send. i sure have learned alot on cruise critic :D

Thanks for all the good advice,...went to Verizon store today, to see if i could use my cell they asked what plan i had i told them, they said yes then i saked them about updating my cell they told me to do it when i arrive in Hawaii. by *228 send. i sure have learned alot on cruise critic :D

Froggie, what plan do you have???

is it America's choice?

Archived