SODA POP (coke) cards/bottles

tamariadawn

We last cruised with Princess 11/2004. Soda cards were around $20 pp. We were issued an insulated tin can looking container that held approx 12 ounces (tall, thin). I remember seeing a red sticker being attached to the onboard "credit card".

Do they still do this? I have learned that for the 2 of us, we really only need to purchase one soda card. How much are they now?

We last cruised with Princess 11/2004. Soda cards were around $20 pp. We were issued an insulated tin can looking container that held approx 12 ounces (tall, thin). I remember seeing a red sticker being attached to the onboard "credit card".

Do they still do this? I have learned that for the 2 of us, we really only need to purchase one soda card. How much are they now?

I believe they are about $3.75 a day and the cards are not meant to be shared. This is the reason why when purchasing a soda card, the sticker is added to your cruise card.

Unlike the coffee card which is an actual card and is punched for each specialty coffee purchased. This card can be shared.

I posted a similar comment about sharing the card a couple of years ago.

If you get the same response as I did stand back!

You will be called all sorts of names !

I still do it and always will!!!

The stamp changes from week to week on back to back cruises.

Nope, no flaming....just remember that techincally that is called theft of services. If you have no problem with that then by all means, continue what you are doing. They are not meant to be shared. I just never understood why folks will literally spend thousands to go on a cruise and then do this to save $40. I just don't get it, but that's just me. Each person has to decide for themselves and its not for us to judge.

The soda sticker costs about $4 a day, so once you finish your third soda, you're ahead of the game if you have the soda sticker (individual fountain sodas are $1.50 each).

Your statement is one reason why the soda card is now so much more expensive. Passengers realized that they could buy one and use it for more than one person. Therefore, the price has over doubled for the card since years past.

Not flaming you, just an explanation of why the cost is so much higher now.

If you pay for 2 people to go on the cruise, are you entitled to bring a third for free??? :rolleyes:

Nope, no flaming....just remember that techincally that is called theft of services. If you have no problem with that then by all means, continue what you are doing. They are not meant to be shared. I just never understood why folks will literally spend thousands to go on a cruise and then do this to save $40. I just don't get it, but that's just me. Each person has to decide for themselves and its not for us to judge.

The soda sticker costs about $4 a day, so once you finish your third soda, you're ahead of the game if you have the soda sticker (individual fountain sodas are $1.50 each).

Technically (Legally speaking) sodas are goods not services?

The way I look at it its ok for me to have 10 drinks a day? So I have 5 and I give 5 of MY drinks away Wheres your argument with that? And by the way theres 4 of us not 2!

Sorry for going a little of topic here. I have heard or read somewhere that Princcess does not provide "free" drinks on board during the day. I am talking about the coffee, iced tea and lemonade you find on the lido decks. Does anyone have any info on this? Also, since there are refrigerators in the cabins, can you bring soft drinks on board?

The way I look at it its ok for me to have 10 drinks a day? So I have 5 and I give 5 of MY drinks away Wheres your argument with that? And by the way theres 4 of us not 2!

I disagree with you there....since its a restaurant type service, its considered theft of services even though there are physical items involved, such as a food or beverage:

"(a) A person commits theft of services if

1. the person obtains services, known by that person to be available only for compensation, by deception, force, threat, or other means to avoid payment for the services;
  2. having control over the disposition of services of others to which the person is not entitled, the person knowingly diverts those services to the person's own benefit or to the benefit of another not entitled to them; or
  3. the person obtains the use of computer time, a computer system, a computer program, a computer network, or any part of a computer system or network, with reckless disregard that the use by that person is unauthorized.

(b) Absconding without paying for hotel, restaurant, or other services for which compensation is customarily paid immediately upon the receiving of them is prima facie evidence that the services were obtained by deception."

Following your logic: If you were to go to a land-based restaurant that was an all-you-can-eat buffet, you would be entitled to eat all you wanted. If you chose to, you could invite 5 of your friends, give them each a plate of food, and not have to pay the restaurant for 5 meals because you simply gave away 5 plates of food that you were entitled to.

If you can justify that then by all means, buy 1 soda sticker :)

And it is logic like this that made the soda card over double in price the last couple of years. :( :( So, we are all footing the bill for you (and others) being dishonest. To me (and I am sure I am not alone here in my thinking), it is no different then shop lifting from a store.

Sorry for going a little of topic here. I have heard or read somewhere that Princcess does not provide "free" drinks on board during the day. I am talking about the coffee, iced tea and lemonade you find on the lido decks. Does anyone have any info on this? Also, since there are refrigerators in the cabins, can you bring soft drinks on board?

All these (except lemonade) are available all day long in the HC.

And yes you can bring your own soft drinks onboard to put in the fridge.:)

I won't opine on the legality, morality or ethics (or lack thereof) of certain posters' theories about an automatic "2 for 1", but I do have a question. I've seen jokes on these boards about 'smuggling' liquor on board, but it is okay to bring on soda/pop in plain sight, right?

For those of you that do this, do you pack a separate bag? Or just carry the 12 pack (or whatever) on with you? If we slap a luggage tag on it, can we even hope it would actually make it to our cabin? Any ideas that have worked for you?

Your statement is one reason why the soda card is now so much more expensive. Passengers realized that they could buy one and use it for more than one person. Therefore, the price has over doubled for the card since years past.

Not flaming you, just an explanation of why the cost is so much higher now.

They should switch to punch cards instead of stickers. That way six people could share the card if they are too cheap to each buy their own and it wouldn't matter as each soda is worth one punch...:p When the card is all punched your done.

I will not comment on whether it is right or wrong to share a pop card but I will say that people sharing their pop is no excuse for prices to double for said card, which has been mentioned a few times above as having happened.

I have ordered fountain pop syrup boxes for my restaurants for years and can tell you that it costs fractions of pennies to serve 12 ounces of pop. I don't know if it is cruisers or Princess using this as an excuse but it is not a valid one, imo.

I agree that it might not be "right" to buy one soda card and use it for two. On the other hand, those who say this is stealing, do any of you bring alcohol on board, if so isn't that also stealing?

Remember if that's as bad as we get......it's not the end of the world.

Just a thought.

James.

I will not comment on whether it is right or wrong to share a pop card...

I will. It is WRONG! Again, as I mentioned in another post (I think the muster drill one), people have this sense of entitlement, that the rules that apply to everyone else don't apply to them. And apparently it's not just a US problem anymore (and therefore can't be blamed on our current administration...darn ;) ).

I agree that it might not be "right" to buy one soda card and use it for two. On the other hand, those who say this is stealing, do any of you bring alcohol on board, if so isn't that also stealing?

Remember if that's as bad as we get......it's not the end of the world.

Just a thought.

James.

I agree with you James.... I am sure that all the people that are against sharing the soda are far from saints themselves....

Archived