10 things to do in Vancouver

Del

My Niece is getting married this summer in Vancouver and put together this list of 10 things for the wedding guests. So I am sharing it!

10 fun things to do in Vancouver!

1) Take a stroll around the Stanley Park Seawall (a trademark of Vancouver). You can also rent bikes and rollerblades

2) Go shopping along Robson Street - a very busy and popular place to shop

3) Take a walk across the Capilano Suspension Bridge The Suspension Bridge spans 450 feet and 230 feet above North Vancouver's spectacular Capilano River [url="http://www.capbridge.com"]www.capbridge.com[/url]

4) Hit the beach! Head over to Kits beach for a little sun and fun.

5) Visit the Vancouver Aquarium [url="http://www.vanaqua.org"]www.vanaqua.org[/url]

6) Partake of the delicious Vancouver cuisine. Here is a list of our favorite restaurants:

Cardero's (eclectic) - Downtown Vancouver
$$$
1583 Coal Harbor Quay,
Coal Harbor
[url="http://www.sequoiarestaurants.com/carderos_main.html"]www.sequoiarestaurants.com/carderos_main.html[/url]
Highlights - great seafood and view.

Takis Taverna (Greek) - West End
$
1106 Davie Street
Highlights - relaxed fun atmosphere, great food, huge portions - you will need a doggie bag. There is usually a wait so get there early.

Saltaire (seafood/continental)-West Vancouver
$$
235-15th Street
[url="http://www.saltaire.ca"]www.saltaire.ca[/url]
Highlights - awesome deck overlooking downtown Vancouver

Chocolate Buffet - Fleuri Restaurant Sutton Place Hotel - to die for!!!! - Downtown Vancouver
$$$
845 Burrard Street
Highlights - CHOCOLATE and lots of it!!! Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 6:00pm and 8:30. Reservations are required.

Coquitlam Brewing Company (American)- Port Coquitlam
#1045 - 1163 Pinetree Way, Coquitlam
Highlights - great Westcoast flavor

7) Visit historic Gastown and the infamous steam clock.

8) Visit Granville Island - an outdoor market, great shopping and sightseeing

9) Visit Grouse Mountain - right up the road from Capilano Suspension Bridge [url="http://www.grousemtn.com"]www.grousemtn.com[/url] If you are really adventurous, and want some exercise, try the Grouse Grind.

10) Sick of Vancouver yet? Why not take a day trip over to Victoria Island? Don't forget to have high tea at the Empress Hotel!
with all of you.

Del

Thanks so much for posting this... there is so much to do in Vancouver -- one of our favorite cities. The only caveat I would add is that if it's cloudy at all you may not see much from the top of Grouse Mtn so only go if it's a clear day.

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time![/B] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle
One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea..</font>

Thanks for posting this! It helped confirm that I've made the right plans for our 3 day pre-cruise stay!

One note though, the Stanley Park seawall (about 1/3 of it) is under construction right now so there are detours. Unless, of course, the webpage is out of date.

Jen

1st Cruise on Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 6/4/2004

The construction project finished last week and it is now open to the public - wider and better separation of the bikes and walkers.

hope this helps

Dennis

Sun Princess to Alaska May 2000
Norwegian Sun Panama Canal 4/11/04
Norwegian Sun - Pacific Coastal 4/27/04

Thanks for providing this info. We are in Vancouver for almost 3 days prior to our cruise, and have never been there before, so this helps with the planning a lot. Maree

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;07;23;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Until Summit 23 July 2004

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

Thanks Urban Trekker. Maybe we'll get that far around it. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] We should have done our Vancouver trip *after* the cruise so that we could lose the extra pounds from eating all the cruise food. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

1st Cruise on Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 6/4/2004

I'm astonished that in the list of places to eat, that the Fish House in Stanley Park, and Joe Fortes (off Robson on Thurlow) are not mentioned. Stellar meals each and every time we've eaten there. Yes, the walk around the seawall is a wonderful way of passing some time. Are the "balancing rocks" still being done?

STingray
"I'll show you mine, if you show me yours" (James 2:18)

Hi everyone,

As an alternative to the Stanley Park seawall, try our West Vancouver Seawall. West Vancouver is over the Lions Gate Bridge and to the left (west). You can take a West Vancouver Blue Bus on Georgia Street (or your rental car) and get there easily in about 20 minutes.

The seawall goes from 17th to 25th streets, but if you want a longer jaunt, you can start at 13th (walking along some nice quiet roadways near the sea) and you can also extend well beyond 25th, again on quiet roads(you will get a chance to pass many multi-million $ homes).

When you arrive at 25th, leave time for lunch or dinner at the Beach House at Dundarave Pier. They have a great deck overlooking the ocean -- a nice place to watch the cruise ships sailing out at night (typically between 5 and 6 as I am sure you know).

We have a couple of nice shopping villages on Marine Drive(Dundarave between 24th and 25th and Ambleside between 13th and about 19th), as well as a shopping centre, Park Royal, when you enter West Van on Marine. Lots of shops and cafes.

Make a day of the North Shore - lots of options including Grouse Mt, Capilano or Lynn Canyon (free!) suspension bridges, Deep Cove, Horseshoe Bay, beautiful hillside mansions.

Let me know you are coming and I will put lunch on.

Hi! Del,
I would like to thank you for sharing such good ideas. I am so excited to go there in July!

Hi! Vancouver BC,
Thanks for all your great information! I would like to know if the shops are open on Sunday in Vancouver and Victoria?

Specs

Ocean Princess (2000)
Dawn Princess (2001)
Golden Princess (2002)
Radiance of the Seas (2003)
Constellation (2004)
Coral Princess Alaska (July 2004)
Adventure of the Seas (2005)

Specs - almost all of your favorite shops will be opened on Sunday in both cities as there are few restrictions on operating hours and the cities rely on the tourist dollars to help the local economy.

Have a good cruise and enjoy Vancouver

Dennis

Sun Princess to Alaska May 2000
Norwegian Sun Panama Canal 4/11/04
Norwegian Sun - Pacific Coastal 4/27/04

Thanks Dennis! In 42 days, I will soon be visiting your beautiful city! I can't wait!!!

Specs

Ocean Princess (2000)
Dawn Princess (2001)
Golden Princess (2002)
Radiance of the Seas (2003)
Constellation (2004)
Coral Princess Alaska (July 2004)
Adventure of the Seas (2005)

• 2 months later...
Here are a couple more things to add to your list:

1) In Gas Town take the time to go to the top of the Harbor Center tower for wonderful views - you can go to the lower level for the views and a short film on Vancouver or to the Upper level to the revolving restaurant $$$ a good place to eat but expensive and no childrens menu.

2) In Gas Town you might want to take in the new Storyeum a 70 minute display of BC's history where you walk thru 9 theatres to enjoy the 70 minute presentation. Lots of action!

3) Stop in China Town and see the world's thinnest building (only 6' wide) on Pender Street.

4) While over at Kitsolano Beach stop in and enjoy the Maritime Museum where the ship St Roch is housed (inside). I always enjoy touring this ship and marvel at the fact that it made it through the Artic. this is the RCMP ship that sailed from Vancouver to halifax in 1942-43 via the Artic taking 20 months for the trip. In 1944 it returned to Vancovuer from Halifax in only 10 months (didn't get frozen into the Artic ice onthe return trip). This is a very kids friendly museum.

5) On the weekend ride the old rail trolley car form Science World to Granville Island and then return to Science World on the Aqua Bus on False Creek.

Additional good restaurants:

The Cannery on Commissioner Street overlooking Vancouver harbor is a great seafood restaurant $$$

The Stone Grill on Granville Street under the Granville Street Bridge at the Vancovuer Yacht Club has a great view and the food is fantastic $$$$ well worth the cost. You actually cook your own meat on a hot rock right at the table so every single bite is piping hot.

Enjoy our great city

[quote name='Del']10) Sick of Vancouver yet? Why not take a day trip over to Victoria Island?[/QUOTE]
A daytrip to Victoria Island is a mighty deed. Look here: [url]http://www.canadianencyclopedia.ca/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&ArticleId=A0008362[/url]

BCHappygal, truly you are a gem full of info! I'll be there on 9/11 and was thinking of the Trolley Ride or even riding the train (good old "iron horse" is what we call it). I'd love to get to see Chinatown, Gas Town & Stanley Park - any recommendations? Thanks much,
Nancy

Dear Nancy

Depending on how much time you want to spend touring each area you could easily do the 3 - Gas Town, china Town and Stanley Park in about 4 hours - that is allowing time to stop lots and take pictures etc. I have done it in less when guests were pressed for time.

• 5 months later...
Sounds like you guys know a lot about Vancouver. That's exactly who I need to help me plan our trip there. Someone that knows everything there is to know about the city. The reason for that, is that we enjoy doing things that are unique to the city we are visiting. We're staying 2 nights at the Fairmont Vancouver, after our June cruise. It will be DH, DS(13), & myself. We're not into shopping. We don't want to do anything that we could easily do in out own city. (I.E. museums, aquariums, zoos, etc.) Also, I have arthritis in my back & knees, making strenuous exercise impossible. I'm acrophobic, so no bridges, etc. See why I need someone with intimate knowledge of the city. :D Please, dazzle me & give me a list of things to do with a 13 yo. boy that are fun & specific to Vancouver, including "must do" attractions, dinner shows, etc. Thanks so much for all your help. :)

One of our loveliest memories of our trip to Vancouver was the short ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo, the surrounding scenery on the crossing as well as the Bay itself are SO picturesque - I felt like we were on a scenic trip rather than a ferry ride.

Also loved the morning stroll around Stanley Park .... that took ALL day. We were there on a Sunday in the park and there were stalls selling crafts etc (it was a few years back, so don't know of they still do it or not...)

I just booked something in Vancouver that I am really excited about. The Vancouver aquarium has a Beluga Encounter. It is 150pp (Cdn) and you get to go "behind the scenes" with the trainers and interact with the belugas. (This also includes your aquarium admission for after). I was warned that I will "get VERY wet" . The whole thing lasts about an hour and a half and they take pictures of you with the whales since you can not bring in your own cameras.

It sounds like so much fun. I'm psyched!

Thanks for info. Hopefully DH, myself and friends will be going on the Radiance July 2006. What about hotels? I will price-line. I am not familiar with anything in this part of the country. I will be using the board for info. This will be our 1st Alaskan cruise. Ktravel

Archived