Is 14 day cruise with just 4 ports of call too much for kids?

kpgclark

I'm currently booked on Disney's Panama Canal crossing for next August. It is a 14 day cruise with just 4 ports. I'm getting concerned that the children who will be 11 and 8 at the time may go a little stir crazy being on the ship for so long. I envision hot temperatures and very crowded pools too. If you've ever taken your family on a 2 week cruise with a lot of sea days I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the trip.

I took my kids, 12 and 10, on a 7 day cruise over New Year's Day last year. We were supposed to have 1 sea day, but the water was so rough one day we couldn't dock, and we left at noon on January 1st so we had almost 3 full sea days. They pools were very crowded, but there was so much to do, I didn't hear a complaint on any of these days. We are getting ready for another cruise in November, and they are actually disappointed that there aren't any sea days.

In many ways, this might be a great cruise for your chidren. We have cruised for many years with our children and in most cases learned that they enjoyed their time more on the cruise then at the ports. Usually, they make friends very easily and have a lot to do on board so I would think this will be quite a lot of fun for them plus the length of the cruise sounds great for everyone.

Keith

Most kids would be fine, especially on Disney or RCI (both lines have excellent kid programs). You will probably get bored before they do. Just bring along stuff they like to do for down time (heaven forbid my eldest, 7, goes anywhere without an electronic doo dad).

We just returned from a Mexican Riviera cruise on Royal Caribbean with 3 days at sea, and previous took a 10 day RCCL cruise with 4 days at sea with our kids now 8 and 11. They truly enjoyed the days at sea, mixing time at the pool, Adventure Ocean activities and playing with new friends. We took the Disney Magic 7 day cruise 3 years ago, and they had a blast on that as well.

With good weather, my guess is that the days at sea will be the best memories of the cruise!

THANKS

If the children enjoy the kids center's then it should be fine. We have not done more than 7 night cruises but have done 14 day land vacations. It always goes better if they have a few toys from home and some down time in the room if they are getting over stimulated.

I've only done a four and a seven day with my kids, but they also enjoy the sea days more than port days, and those are generally less stressful days for us.

I'm jealous too--sounds like fun.

Archived