Both Sides of The Ship

Diggerdon

We are going back to Alaska with a group of about 20 people and I thought that it might be a good idea to get some of the rooms with a balcony on both sides of the ship so that we could share the views with each other. This year in Hawaii we were all on the same side of the ship and missed some things as we came into the different ports. Is this a good plan?

I got a port side for the reason Toyz suggested, but it just did not turn out to be true for our ship. On the Coral Princess Captain Bennett made absolute CERTAIN that all sides of the ship got the same view, even doing a 360 when bears were spotted. On our particular cruise there was also more marine life spotted on the starboard side. We had a terrific naturalist, who always let us know what was out there - but her microphone couldn't reach clear to the port side. After I got to know her and let her know this, she started laying the mike down so she could also give us sitings on our side of the ship.

IN OTHER WORDS - I love your idea - get cabins on both sides! Otherwise you may be running your legs off as I was to the Caribe front and back decks! :)

Ultimately, though, nothing beats being up higher on one of the top decks for a view. Even with a balcony on the "right (read: correct)" side we tend to run upstairs because you just cannot see as much, especially wildlife who does not care which side of the ship you are on.

Ultimately, though, nothing beats being up higher on one of the top decks for a view. Even with a balcony on the "right (read: correct)" side we tend to run upstairs because you just cannot see as much, especially wildlife who does not care which side of the ship you are on.

It seems the case according to many long time alaska cruisers.

I got a port side for the reason Toyz suggested, but it just did not turn out to be true for our ship. On the Coral Princess Captain Bennett made absolute CERTAIN that all sides of the ship got the same view, even doing a 360 when bears were spotted. On our particular cruise there was also more marine life spotted on the starboard side. We had a terrific naturalist, who always let us know what was out there - but her microphone couldn't reach clear to the port side. After I got to know her and let her know this, she started laying the mike down so she could also give us sitings on our side of the ship.

IN OTHER WORDS - I love your idea - get cabins on both sides! Otherwise you may be running your legs off as I was to the Caribe front and back decks! :)

Captain Binetti was the Coral's captain on our June 4th cruise. We had a different naturalist than Barbara Bennett - who rejoined the ship after our cruise ended.

We didn't have a balcony, so I spent much of my time on the front of the baja deck as we were going through Glacier Bay. Yes, the port side balconies saw Margerie Glacier first, before the ship turned several times.

Well I have a different opinion about this and it's based on recent experience!

Just a few weeks ago we were on the Zuiderdam with 2 side-by-side balcony cabins on port and 2 on starboard. We did it for exactly the reason you mentioned. We though we would have every option covered! But we just never did it that way. Most wildlife shows up and disappears way too quickly to be calling people from another cabin. We decided we would certainly cruise together again but that we would do it with all cabins adjoining so we could open up all the balconies and hang out together.

Another option for your group: take all the aft cabins on one deck and open up the balconies. That way you could all see everything on both side of the ship all the time!

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

We are sailing with friends on the Spirit next July. We have both booked aft wraps on deck 6 so we will have the aft view plus the starboard and port side views. There are only four cabins between us so we should be able to move easily from one balcony to the other if the occasion (or Orca) warrants.:)

Approaching the minus 300 mark, I am soooo excited for this cruise!!!:D

Archived