FLL hotels

baseball16

Bequia: You are a peach for being so helpful on this board! We have a pre and post cruise day booked through RCCL at the Yankee Clipper for November. Will we like it? We paid too much by going through the cruise line but wanted to minimize the hassles of transfers etc.. Do you know if the hotel treats these booking well by giving a room with a view and so forth? or do they put you where ever they have room. We booked quite awhile ago but I have no idea what our room assignment is.

Thanks!

Tom

Come on Tom...move over to the Marriott.......we'll give you a ride..

Thanks, Bequia. The number of hotels in Ft. L. is amazing, so it is good to get first-hand information.

We're comparing: Embassy Suites, Courtyard Airport & Cruise Port, & Holiday Inn Express (where we have stayed before.) Embassy Suites seems expensive compared to many hotels. Courtyard offers a free port shuttle, which is a plus.

Bequia....La Quinta in Hollywood is much cheaper than the Hilton Garden Inn in Dania Beach. How do the two compare for accomodations and access to other things like restaurants, etc.?

This may have gotten missed by Bequia. I've booked the Hilton, but some people insist La Quinta is better.

Tom: Being that we're sailing with you...Why don't you call the hotel directly and ask about what type of room you will get with booking through the cruiseline vs. booking directly with them? Don't forget you can get the Clipper with an Entertainment.com discount booking directly through Sheraton and save $$$ (don't forget to join Starwood's Preferred Guest program and then you have a better chance for an upgrade). My personal opinion/thought is the cruiseline gets a BIG kickback and you get a standard room.

The hotel can also inform you what transportation they recommend to/from the airport and port (check with the hotel's bell service) and tell you the costs so you can get a true comparison.

We have stayed at Yankee Clipper 2x in past 2 years and taken a cab from there to Port Everglades and cost was < $15. I do not think it is worth it to pay cruise line to book a hotel and transfers in Fort Lauderdale as there are many hotels close to the port and taxi service is convenient and reasonable.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Bequia

You have given me a lot to look at and think about. we are not going until May 2008, but things are already booking up. What is the most decent and good priced place nearest the port and can you see the ships from there? We have only been out of Miami and Prt Canaveral, and Tampa, never here.

Anything possible.

Would you recommend Hotwire? I know you always take a chance.

Thanks

I booked the 4 star Marriott hollywood beach through holland america and saved about $100 per night. We are staying 2 before and 2 nights after our feb. 08 sailing. Still cost about 260 per night, but better than the 360 on the hotel's website and other sites like expedia. The price also includes transfers from airport and to the ship. It's not far out of FT. Lauderdale and on the beach. Anyone stay at this hotel, and what's it like?

It's ten minutes south of the port and quite nice. It was formerly a Howard Johnsons that they completely gutted and rebuilt. Directly on the ocean with only the broadwalk between it and the beach. Wonderful beachside bar-cafe with live music at sunset. The hotels restaurant offers an eclectic menu, not your typical Marriott menu, you'll see what I mean when you get there. 85% of the rooms are full ocean view, 10% have an obstructed view and the remaining have no view. The rooms are typical Marriott, nice bedding, noce bathrooms.

The area is safe, you can walk for a mile north on the broadwalk or a mile south. Plenty of nearby restaurants that you can walk to as well. The water is warm and it's turquoise. The city grooms the beach twice a day, and it's rarely crowded. You should be pleased with your choice.

Just booked this for $225 for April 2008 pre-cruise and they are remodeling opening up in Dec....1/2 mile from Port Everglades.

http://www.fortlauderdalegrande.com/?src=ppc_google_brand_bestrates

This is too funny. I saw this thead and thinking of you began writing down hotels that were recommended and then i came you YOUR post where u already booked something lol You will be very near the port.......:D

Bequia - I just found a rate where I can get the Embassy Suites on 17th Street for $30 more per night than the Sheraton Yankee Trader. We're staying 2 nights in FLL. We have had reservations at the Trader for some time, but I keep wanting to change due to no balconies, but like the location right near the beach. I would love to stay at the Hilton on the beach, but it's well over $200 per night and out of our budget.

We've stayed at the Embassy before and really liked it, but never at the Sheraton. Which would you stay at given the choice?

Nicki61

You'll love the Riverside. I admire it every year when I walk by !!!

I'm a big fan of the Las Olas area......fun shops( Chico's is great )...just to explore..lots of eating places...fabulous ice cream shop.....on the "water bus" route if you want a change of scenery....What more could you ask ??

Enjoy...a great choice.

Sharon

We've stayed at the Embassy before and really liked it, but never at the Sheraton. Which would you stay at given the choice?

Let me ask you this...how often do you get to see the ocean? How often can you stay in a property directly on the beach? I see the ocean every day and never grow tired of it. If I were traveling anywhere else in the country I would take an Embassy Suites over any Sheraton. I'm a sucker for the free managers nightly cocktail party and the free cooked to order breakfast, and I like the layout of the rooms. In Ft Lauderdale though, I'd opt for the hotel closest to the ocean, the one directly on the beach. The hotel itself is not as nice as an Embassy Suites but the location..........

Nicki61

You'll love the Riverside. I admire it every year when I walk by !!!

I'm a big fan of the Las Olas area......fun shops( Chico's is great )...just to explore..lots of eating places...fabulous ice cream shop.....on the "water bus" route if you want a change of scenery....What more could you ask ??

Enjoy...a great choice.

Sharon

Thanks Sharon. We are staying 2 days pre cruise and 2 days post cruise. We have not made a reservation for post cruise as of yet. As much as it is nice to stay on the beach, we use the pool and surrounding area more. So we can't decide of we want to stay beach front on the later stay.

We read alot about the Riverside and we are hoping for good things. Of course all you had to say was "ice cream"! I can't think of a more fun thing to do than ride around on the water taxi and see the sights. Since we wont' have a car...it seems perfect.

Thanks again.

I don't know if you've tried hotwire.com, but I just checked and they have 4 & 4.5 star hotels for around the $159-160 per night on the May 9/10 date on the beach. We just booked with them for a return in Orlando and ended up paying about $50 less than the on line price for a Wingate w/shuttle and breakfast.

B&R

We're cruising out of FLL with our children ages 12 and 8. We fly into FLL late the night prior to cruise, so we need a clean cheap place to stay for the night, and after we return from the cruise, we don't fly out until the next day, so again, a nice clean place to stay. I'm amazed that most rooms are over $200 - any chance at getting a decent place for under $150?? Any suggestions???

I'm amazed that most rooms are over $200 - any chance at getting a decent place for under $150?? Any suggestions???

Check the Sleep Inn, Dania or any of the Comfort Inns.

The Lago Mar looks great, the price isn't TOO bad, and looks very, VERY restful. Anyone have experience with them?

Sam, The Lago Mar in my opinion is the nicest hotel in Ft Lauderdale. Semi-private beach, isolated, beautiful rooms, gorgeous pool, nice in-house restaurant. Yes it is very peaceful there. Search these boards you'll find recent reviews from fellow cruisers who have stayed there.

Archived