How much to tip baggage handlers at cruise terminal?

Sandy R

Seriously I think you need to lighten up. Try enjoying life and not worry about how longshoremen are trying to "extort" money from you.

Staycee, I can appreciate that you are not objective here, but the fact remains that it is galling when someone bullies you into an action. I hand over my five bucks anyway, but no one can make me like it. Sad thing is many people would do the tip without intimidation, but I guess the longshoremen have a reputation to uphold.

I have said before that I agree that someone should not be forced into giving a tip. Basically I was saying that if someone does a service for you, then you should tip them.

Staycee, I can appreciate that you are not objective here, but the fact remains that it is galling when someone bullies you into an action. I hand over my five bucks anyway, but no one can make me like it. Sad thing is many people would do the tip without intimidation, but I guess the longshoremen have a reputation to uphold.

I was thinking about this in the context of people that should be tipped and those I feel should not be tipped... and I have a hard time with tipping these people (although I will because I'm frankly scared not to).

I tip servers in bars and restaurants. I tip the person at the coffee shop my change. I tip the taxi driver. These make sense to me - they are providing me a service.

If I choose to have someone take my bags to my room in a hotel or do a curbside plane check in, then I tip those people. I am paying for a service that is elective and I can do myself... I just choose not to. This is a choice that I make and I show my appreciation through a tip.

When I go to check in at the airport counter and they take my bags from me and put the through to the airplane, I don't tip them. Nobody would think to. It's part of the fare. I also don't tip the people who unload the planes or load the baggage carousel. Again, this is part of the cost of the transportation (airline) that I have chosen.

How, really, are the people who take my bag from me when I check into my vacation form of transportation (cruise ship) any different from the lady at the Alaska Airlines gate who took my bag first? It's a process that we have to go through, we've already paid for it... I don't really see it as a service. I can cart my own bags onto the boat, but I'm sure as heck not going to be allowed to.

I know people say "what's another $5", and you may have a point. Will that $5 kill me? Nope, not in the least. But tips are meant to show appreciation, and if I'm worried that you're going to "lose", "damage", or otherwise mess with my belongings then it's not a tip at all, it's a payoff to make sure that you do a job you're already being paid for.

That's what bothers me. I am a very good tipper and have a great appreciation for those in the service industry. I don't like being threatened, and that's what this sure feels like.

Stacee, I think you need to attempt to understand where we are all coming from. You totally ignored my response to your incorrect statement about restaurant workers and instead told me to "lighten up". Stating something that is not true in an attempt to defend your point isn't the way to make people see your side. You cannot be objective about this and just because your husband is a longshoreman doesn't mean what others have posted doesn't happen. You really don't seem to understand what a tip is. Also, please do not ever tell me to lighten up again. It is patronizing.

This is a great thread.

How do you think we feel, from the UK. We don't live in a tipping culture (minimum wage etc....). We tip in restaurants and taxi cabs, and thats about it.

When we come to the States, we are so confused. They have guides in the magazines on UK flights, just to tell us how much to tip!

The guys at the port are intimidating, a bit like the shop people in Ochos Rios (very scary). We ask the Americans wherever we are to advise us (so far we haven't met any CC jokers, saying give him a fifty!). When it comes to our bags, my wife keeps an eye on them until they move the cage normally. She is a red haired Irish woman and a police officer. I pity the fool who threatens me in front of her. I might be a big coward, but she will eat them alive.

Archived